ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Shrewsbury

Allow me to present the official Parkhill/Dunn/DeChellis/Chambers/Shrews apologist post officially sanctioned by Erial Lion and The late Uncle Larry Fall:
I know it doesn't matter but unless you are referring to him not being a poster Uncle Lar is still alive and kicking it around State College.

As to Shrewsberry, I think a team with Penn State's historic success owes a coach more than 2 years to turn a program around.

I know it doesn't matter but unless you are referring to him not being a poster Uncle Lar is still alive and kicking it around State College.
thanks for the info. I was curious about that. I hope he's still entertaining people at the tavern with his magic tricks.

As to Shrewsberry, I think a team with Penn State's historic success owes a coach more than 2 years to turn a program around.
That referred to his being a poster. I'm sure he's a great guy in life but as a poster he was an apologist supreme.

Allow me to present the official Parkhill/Dunn/DeChellis/Chambers/Shrews apologist post officially sanctioned by Erial Lion and The late Uncle Larry Fall:

It's ok Shrew(or insert another name of the above)is the best coach there is in the B1G 10. Sure his team can't defend anyone but everyone on this board will tell you he's an amazing architect of offensive plays. If the team went cold that long, they were going against a perenial national title contender. He just needs 3-4-5 more years in the portal to build his team

Frankly it's a truly unique and amazing feat that Penn State has been the nation's worst power five school in basketball over 57 years and has almost incredibly only gone to FIVE ncaa tournaments in FIFTY SEVEN YEARS. A unique and amazing run of incompetence and doormat failure.

Mr Kraft...we need you now...not in 7 years.
I believe Nebraska is the only P5 team to never win a NCAA tournament game in men's hoops.

The irony runs think…
Living in Annapolis, I can say he has a cush job in the sense that it's the Patriot League, and he won't get fired as long as he wins a reasonable portion of the games and more importantly, keeps his nose clean. Beautiful campus on the water. He makes about $500K a year, certainly a pay cut from PSU, but good quality of life. Probably more than you wanted to know.

Meanwhile……Pitt is in first place in the ACC, a pretty good league. This after things at Pitt were so bad that not only were the fans calling for him to fired but something like 6-7 players all portalled out last year, including most of the starters.(All but one IIRC). He had two horrific years…..now in year three in first place, multiple wins over ranked teams, and just about a lock for the big dance and a decent seed.
Not so fast my friend…NET dropped like a rock to 67th after yesterday’s blowout…nervous two days ahead in Oakland

Reactions: 4382 and Agoodnap
bring back the coach who recruited heavily from one high school and failed to make the ncaa tournament in nine years, including twice with nba draft picks on the roster

that was awesome

Not so fast my friend…NET dropped like a rock to 67th after yesterday’s blowout…nervous two days ahead in Oakland
I was having this argument 2 weeks ago with a Pitt fan who was claiming they were better than PSU and WVU. They laughed when I told them that WVU is a borderline top-15 best team in the country and Pitt is a borderline top-75 best team in the nation.

I was having this argument 2 weeks ago with a Pitt fan who was claiming they were better than PSU and WVU. They laughed when I told them that WVU is a borderline top-15 best team in the country and Pitt is a borderline top-75 best team in the nation.
The ACC just has so many mediocre to bad teams this season, that it really inflated a lot of their records...Pitt is sitting at 77th in Pomeroy today, so you're about right.

The ACC just has so many mediocre to bad teams this season, that it really inflated a lot of their records...Pitt is sitting at 77th in Pomeroy today, so you're about right.

Of course, Pitt could very well end up winning their first game in the tournament and WVU could very well lose their first game of the tournament. That wouldn't change the fact that WVU would still open as an 8-point favorite on neutral and would likely smack them for the second time. People don't like to have these conversations though for some reason.

Meanwhile……Pitt is in first place in the ACC, a pretty good league. This after things at Pitt were so bad that not only were the fans calling for him to fired but something like 6-7 players all portalled out last year, including most of the starters.(All but one IIRC). He had two horrific years…..now in year three in first place, multiple wins over ranked teams, and just about a lock for the big dance and a decent seed.
Decent seed looks like they are likely staying at home or punched a ticket Dayton. Meanwhile Penn State will be a higher seed then Pitt. Let the season play itself out. It is a very novel concept.

Also this is year six for him not year three.

Decent seed looks like they are likely staying at home or punched a ticket Dayton. Meanwhile Penn State will be a higher seed then Pitt. Let the season play itself out. It is a very novel concept.

Also this is year six for him not year three.
It's actually year 5

It's ok Shrew(or insert another name of the above)is the best coach there is in the B1G 10. Sure his team can't defend anyone but everyone on this board will tell you he's an amazing architect of offensive plays. If the team went cold that long, they were going against a perenial national title contender. He just needs 3-4-5 more years in the portal to build his team

Frankly it's a truly unique and amazing feat that Penn State has been the nation's worst power five school in basketball over 57 years and has almost incredibly only gone to FIVE ncaa tournaments in FIFTY SEVEN YEARS. A unique and amazing run of incompetence and doormat failure.

Should we fire him now or after the NCAA tournament?

Crickets...crickets...crickets...
I was a big critic of Chambers, but at least I posted late in the 2020 season (before the tournament was cancelled) that he did what he was supposed to do and got us to the tournament so I was supportive of him staying for a while. This guy can’t even do that. And Chambers had many more years of not making it than Shrews has.

See, I'm curious as to your optimism? At the power five level nearly all successful coaches have or had previous success AS head coaches rather than as assistants. This is year 2 and next season will be worse...I'm giving him 4 years and I believe no athletic director worth his salt would give more.
No optimism allowed! Are you going to allow him to stay longer than four years now?

I was a big critic of Chambers, but at least I posted late in the 2020 season (before the tournament was cancelled) that he did what he was supposed to do and got us to the tournament so I was supportive of him staying for a while. This guy can’t even do that. And Chambers had many more years of not making it than Shrews has.
the Chambers supporters all hang their hat on that one time he was going to make the tournament but covid canceled it. they never talk about the fact that team was trending down when covid hit. they had already gone from a 2 or 3 seed to about a 6 and the btt ws coming up. he also missed the ncaa tournament with both Tim Frazier and Tony Carr

the Chambers supporters all hang their hat on that one time he was going to make the tournament but covid canceled it. they never talk about the fact that team was trending down when covid hit. they had already gone from a 2 or 3 seed to about a 6 and the btt ws coming up. he also missed the ncaa tournament with both Tim Frazier and Tony Carr
True, but you don’t get rid of a coach right after he makes the tournament. I would be happy if we made it every three or four years. I like Coach Shrews, but I have a feeling he won’t be around long. Someone is going to grab him up.

True, but you don’t get rid of a coach right after he makes the tournament. I would be happy if we made it every three or four years. I like Coach Shrews, but I have a feeling he won’t be around long. Someone is going to grab him up.
just open the checkbook and pay him to stay here. it's easy to figure that out. then you have him for a while, especially with his son coming in to play here

and Chambers should have been fired before 2020. i would say that he should have been gone in 2014 or 2015. just like there was no reason to have DeChellis stay past his 4th season. psu wasted a lot of years on those two guys

We had a chance to do some big things that season...don't know why we'd downplay that.

Chambers did a good job stabilizing the program and really opening up Philly for us...I appreciate his contributions to where we are today.

just open the checkbook and pay him to stay here. it's easy to figure that out. then you have him for a while, especially with his son coming in to play here

and Chambers should have been fired before 2020. i would say that he should have been gone in 2014 or 2015. just like there was no reason to have DeChellis stay past his 4th season. psu wasted a lot of years on those two guys
Agree on all of this.

We had a chance to do some big things that season...don't know why we'd downplay that.

Chambers did a good job stabilizing the program and really opening up Philly for us...I appreciate his contributions to where we are today.
he upgraded the talent and i give him credit for that

he did better recruiting in philadelphia but talk about a low bar relative to his predecessors

also his big recruiting wins seemed concentrated to a two year period and one high school

all of that was ok though

he was a bad coach and often failed to do anything with the talent he has. the rest of the league out coached him all the time and the 2020 team was no exception. they had a big winning streak that got them into the top 10. then, it seemed like the other coaches adjusted and they were on a slide. his coaching was just bad

Some funny stuff right there . Announcers said several times tonight that NW had made the NCAAs once in their history.

ONCE!

And you point is???????????????????

How stupid do you feel now? Love this team and the way it guts things out.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

Don’t go quiet Mr. 823. Stand in the paint and take your L. It’s waiting for you. On a silver platter. And it has your name on it.

I don't drink or use my friend. 11 years 6 months clean and sober.
May I suggest writing down a gratitude list?
Help others (when you aren't working).
Do 3 kind acts a day without getting caught.
Get to a meeting.

Listening to Sirius basketball channel Coach Shrewsbury is a hot commodity; Georgetown supposedly going to make a strong run at him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT