ADVERTISEMENT

film

Do they make comedies that become classics that people talk about for decades anymore? I'm not being the guy complaining about the lack of good new comedies, instead I'm genuinely curious.

Animal House, Airplane, Caddyshack, Vacation...I'm sure I could name more. These have been comedic cultural touchstones for decades. Will people forty years from now think of comedies made today in the same way?

Do they make comedies that become classics that people talk about for decades anymore? I'm not being the guy complaining about the lack of good new comedies, instead I'm genuinely curious.

Animal House, Airplane, Caddyshack, Vacation...I'm sure I could name more. These have been comedic cultural touchstones for decades. Will people forty years from now think of comedies made today in the same way?
They don't make comedies like that anymore because literally EVERYTHING offends people these days.

'Animal House' 40th anniversary: What happened to raunchy comedies? - CNN Money https://apple.news/AF7Pgotl5QMSWJvlHRNu8_Q

This film transformed Penn State and most college campuses. What great memories.

Old School is probably the closest to that particular comedy genre. Maybe 40 Year Old Virgin, American Pie, and There’s Something About Mary. Problem though is the nudity quotient is severely lacking in newer films. It’s mostly because the female star doesn’t do nudity (Elisha Cuthbert, Cameron Diaz, Elizabeth Banks) and when they do have it it’s some rando person where it’s forced and too contrived.

I wouldn't consider 40 YO Virgin (2005), Something About Mary (1998) and American Pie (1999) as movies from "these days" though.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Huh?

Stepbrothers, SuperBad, The Hangover and 40 year old Virgin to name a few. All of those have more bad language and nudity than those movies from the 70’s.
I think his point is that in this era one must walk on eggshells when poking fun at any group other than white people, and principally white, straight, Christian males. For example, it is fine for Will Ferrell to parody the race car set, but these days you would never see something like the jive science from Airplane.

I wouldn't consider 40 YO Virgin (2005), Something About Mary (1998) and American Pie (1999) as movies from "these days" though.

Okay, so are you saying last five years or so? If so, I agree - Thor Ragnarok is probably the funniest movie I've seen in that time.

I think his point is that in this era one must walk on eggshells when poking fun at any group other than white people, and principally white, straight, Christian males. For example, it is fine for Will Ferrell to parody the race car set, but these days you would never see something like the jive science from Airplane.

That scene from Airplane was good but what made it even better was that it was Beaver Cleaver's mother that spoke Jive.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Huh?

Stepbrothers, SuperBad, The Hangover and 40 year old Virgin to name a few. All of those have more bad language and nudity than those movies from the 70’s.
I don't feel like getting into an argument but, all you have to do is Google animal house and you'll find multiple websites claiming the movie was racist , sexist and homophobic. I'll just leave it at that.
I was actually watching the TV show "taxi " last night and I thought to myself... .There is no way this show would be on in today's society.

Reactions: dailybuck777

Not really true; that kind of comedy is absolutely out there. You don't see it a lot in movies, but the Dave Chapelle show and Atlanta have a lot of it. It's more thoughtful I think these days and tougher to find. Keenan Ivory Wayans skewered everything when he was at the top of his game...

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
This was the first R rated movie I ever saw (I was 12 at the time). Buddy of mine and I paid someone to buy us tickets. I am not exaggerating when I tell you I have watched this movie at least 200 times. It is amazing how many hidden things you can pick up. For instance, right before the scene when they go in front of the student court, Otter is standing on the stairs speaking to Karen Allen. Eric Stratton walks down stairs next to him, slaps him on the back, and they all walk down the rest of the stairs to enter the courtroom. If you go slow motion you can see Eric Stratton pick his nose and wipe it on the railing.

Also, if you watch the credits, the guys in club where Otis Day and The Knights are playing, are described as "Big Dude", "Bigger Dude", "Biggest Dude", and "Gigantic Dude".

Lastly, watch and appreciate Flounder's skills in this scene...

There was a lot more coke then, and people were sick of being beaten over the head with downer messages. Wait til the 2020s

Reactions: odshowtime
Not really true; that kind of comedy is absolutely out there. You don't see it a lot in movies, but the Dave Chapelle show and Atlanta have a lot of it. It's more thoughtful I think these days and tougher to find. Keenan Ivory Wayans skewered everything when he was at the top of his game...

Oh hell yeah.

Not quite. Another example of Ferrel trying too hard and striving to be a wannabe John Belushi/Bill Murray.
In my experience, people who question this particular performance tend to be those for whom it hits a little too close to home.

If you liked Animal House, you should look up the Netflix comedy A Futile And Stupid Gesture. It’s about the guy who helped start National Lampoon and co-wrote Animal House and Caddyshack. Will Forte was hilarious.

For another “groundbreaking” comedy, I’d say Deadpool fits the bill. It took superhero movies to another level.

The issue isn't nudity or foul language. It's that these movies were fresh in their comedic writing. And they were so good that the comedic lines have made their way into everyday lexicon for our (at least) my age group.

Reactions: Jerademan74
If you liked Animal House, you should look up the Netflix comedy A Futile And Stupid Gesture. It’s about the guy who helped start National Lampoon and co-wrote Animal House and Caddyshack. Will Forte was hilarious.

MV5BMGFkZGQ3ZmYtZjhjMS00M2NlLTg5MjctODYzNTMzZDZmYWEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAxODYyODI@._V1_.jpg

For another “groundbreaking” comedy, I’d say Deadpool fits the bill. It took superhero movies to another level.
The stork.

Brain damage

Don't have netflix, but curious if the film puts any blame on Chevy Chase for DK's death?

Back to the topic at hand:

Point of Parlimentary Procedure - w/ due reverence to our esteemed poster:

"I just checked with the guys at the Jewish House and every one of our answers on the Psych exam was wrong."

Last edited:
Reactions: psuken
Old School is probably the closest to that particular comedy genre. Maybe 40 Year Old Virgin, American Pie, and There’s Something About Mary. Problem though is the nudity quotient is severely lacking in newer films. It’s mostly because the female star doesn’t do nudity (Elisha Cuthbert, Cameron Diaz, Elizabeth Banks) and when they do have it it’s some rando person where it’s forced and too contrived.

You used “forced” and “nudity” in the same paragraph. Please apologize to us snowflakes for placing those words so close. Feel free to blame Joe (and Jay) and send McQueary $12M

I still think the horse in the dean's office is one of the funniest scenes in any movie. Belushi's comedic timing is off the rails there.

Reactions: Jerademan74
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT