ADVERTISEMENT

film

Do they make comedies that become classics that people talk about for decades anymore? I'm not being the guy complaining about the lack of good new comedies, instead I'm genuinely curious.

Animal House, Airplane, Caddyshack, Vacation...I'm sure I could name more. These have been comedic cultural touchstones for decades. Will people forty years from now think of comedies made today in the same way?

Did you intentionally leave out Weekend at Bernies?

I love Animal House. I have the DVD and watch it at least once a year. I have all the dialogue memorized but still laugh hysterically at every scene. It is by far my favorite movie of all time.

I agree with other posters who say comedy is now dead. The comedians are not creative and are lazy. Modern comedy is "Trump sucks", "Pelosi has a plastic face", "My sister has crooked boobs". This is the theme over and over. Politics and sex over and over. Nothing approaching the creative one liners of say George Carlin. Nothing like that today. The late night shows are unwatchable and I haven't seen a funny movie in decades. Maybe it is more the inept writers than the comedians who deliver the lines. Maybe it is that every line has to go through the politically correct filter and be perfectly benign. I'm not sure what the reason is but current comedy sucks.

I have seen Animal House over 100 times. The scene where they show Flounder's face on the screen, and then throw beer cans , and everything else at it still cracks me up . He's a legacy from Harrisburg, had the entire theatre cracking up, in 78.

Reactions: odshowtime
I never really liked Will Ferrell. He has had a few funny moments, but overall, he falls flat for me!

I agree. No matter what movie he's in or what he's saying, all I hear when he speaks is, "I'm Will Ferrell and I'm the most important person here." In Animal House, on the other hand, I don't think there was a single actor who misplayed their role.

I love Animal House. I have the DVD and watch it at least once a year. I have all the dialogue memorized but still laugh hysterically at every scene. It is by far my favorite movie of all time.

I agree with other posters who say comedy is now dead. The comedians are not creative and are lazy. Modern comedy is "Trump sucks", "Pelosi has a plastic face", "My sister has crooked boobs". This is the theme over and over. Politics and sex over and over. Nothing approaching the creative one liners of say George Carlin. Nothing like that today. The late night shows are unwatchable and I haven't seen a funny movie in decades. Maybe it is more the inept writers than the comedians who deliver the lines. Maybe it is that every line has to go through the politically correct filter and be perfectly benign. I'm not sure what the reason is but current comedy sucks.
I agree. Last funny movie that was creative was I love you man with Paul Rudd. I did like Amy Schumers Trainwreck but it only had spots of good humor. I watched blockers and was not only not entertained but disgusted. I watched one of the Austin powers movies with my daughter and that was good and fun but it is now amidst 20 years old.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT