ADVERTISEMENT

Feels like a slap in the face

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courts restrict not only what can be asked but also the mode in which the questions can be put. Happens all the time. You should stick to debits and credits.
Only an idiot would believe that no pertinent questions would allowed to be asked. Keep believing what you want, but the world sees this as an admission by the Paternos that the facts were not on their side.

Yeah, because continuing to post while being attacked nonstop for stating unpopular facts is a sign of cowardice.

Honestly, how do you not notice that everything has to be viewed through some alternative lense on this board?

It doesn't matter if it's in plain English, it has to be viewed in a certain light that removes all negative connotations.

I 100% agree that Freeh's stated conclusion of a conspiracy to protect football is pure fiction. That's not good enough for you guys. C/S/S have to be totally innocent and telling the truth no matter how illogical it might be.
I don't think C/S/S are mistake free, but intent has to be looked at in a case like this. Making a mistake as judged in hindsight is different than deliberately making a mistake for nefarious reasons.

Reactions: Mixolydian
I don't think C/S/S are mistake free, but intent has to be looked at in a case like this. Making a mistake as judged in hindsight is different than deliberately making a mistake for nefarious reasons.
I agree.

The fact they lied about 98 is what I took issue with. After the Spanier trial played out I'm of the opinion Curley and Schultz just made the wrong call with the best intentions.

I think they were embarrassed and figured omitting 98 was inconsequential. The OAG probably should have given them a chance to amend their testimony instead of going scorched earth. It would have saved so much time and money.

I think Spanier is less honorable as he still hasn't owned up to lying about 98. He went public with his denials so it's harder to admit. He still has to do it though.

Reactions: Warneke
Some bad moves and some good. Once the Freeh report was released and Sandusky was convicted, the right COA for the University was to move on.

image.jpg

It won't even be in the same ballpark...they will fight it because they have people in charge who care about their university and not themselves.
Just wait. They will get sued to hell and will end up settling just like we did.

Just wait. They will get sued to hell and will end up settling just like we did.
I'll bet you a dollar nothing happens to them. They will put the blame on the guilty party like our university should have done.

I'm pretty sure that they did put blame on Sandusky...
Then why did Paterno get fired? And why did they accept the consent decree? And why did they not fight the sanctions? And why did they not fight to get the bowl money they were owed? That's a lot of sh!t to take when they supposedly put the blame on Sandusky.

Then why did Paterno get fired? And why did they accept the consent decree? And why did they not fight the sanctions? And why did they not fight to get the bowl money they were owed? That's a lot of sh!t to take when they supposedly put the blame on Sandusky.
Because as I said, the most important thing to any University is it's name. PSU had two administrators instantly charged. The highest admin then put out a statement of support that infuriated the public. The masses were angry, and rightfully so. The University had no choice but to remove Paterno. Make no mistake, that GJ testimony should have never been leaked, and the leaker should have been charged. However, it was done and so PSU was left with only one option.

Only an idiot would believe that no pertinent questions would allowed to be asked. Keep believing what you want, but the world sees this as an admission by the Paternos that the facts were not on their side.

You really have a reading comprehension problem, dipshit. Where did I say "no?"

Because as I said, the most important thing to any University is it's name. PSU had two administrators instantly charged. The highest admin then put out a statement of support that infuriated the public. The masses were angry, and rightfully so. The University had no choice but to remove Paterno. Make no mistake, that GJ testimony should have never been leaked, and the leaker should have been charged. However, it was done and so PSU was left with only one option.

multiple-farts_orig.png

Moron.

You really have a reading comprehension problem, dipshit. Where did I say "no?"
And I didn't say you did, I just said to keep believing what you want and that only idiots would believe no pertinent questions could be asked.

I agree.

The fact they lied about 98 is what I took issue with. After the Spanier trial played out I'm of the opinion Curley and Schultz just made the wrong call with the best intentions.

I think they were embarrassed and figured omitting 98 was inconsequential. The OAG probably should have given them a chance to amend their testimony instead of going scorched earth. It would have saved so much time and money.

I think Spanier is less honorable as he still hasn't owned up to lying about 98. He went public with his denials so it's harder to admit. He still has to do it though.

The DOE claims he was present at a meeting about it on May 4.

Reactions: L.T. Young
And I didn't say you did, I just said to keep believing what you want and that only idiots would believe no pertinent questions could be asked.

Try this one on for size, asshole. Friends were involved in a lawsuit. During discovery, opposition counsel elicited statements from a "witness" that it intended to enter into evidence. Judge ruled that they could. Friends' counsel motioned to call said witness. Opposing counsel objected, producing a statement from the witness that appearing at trail would create undue hardship. Judge agreed. Friends' counsel then moved to depose witness. Opposing counsel objected and judge ruled in their favor. At the end, all the judge would allow friends' counsel to submit an interrogatory. Answers to the interrogatory never directly addressed the questions posed, instead only referring to answers in the initial interrogatory.

So why, great legal mind, did the judge in this case limit one side from asking questions that it thought to be pertinent? While I have no direct knowledge of other cases in which this has happened, I am told from reliable sources that this practice isn't uncommon.

Have to disagree a little bit about your "judged in hindsight" perspective.

When Curley et al received their 2001 report of Sandusky's being found naked in the shower of a locked, limited-access building at or about 10:00 at night, engaging in some sort of physical activity with a naked, sub-teen boy, they were already aware of the 1998 investigation and at least generally what it had been for. True, they would've also known he'd been completely cleared of any wrongdoing at the time. But knowledge of his clearance then did not change the fact that now they had a second report, originated by a (supposedly at least) credible individual, of similar activity to that which triggered the 1998 investigation, occurring at an odd time of day in rather suspicious circumstances.

From where I sit, no 20 / 20 hindsight would've been required for a prudent man, acting out of an abundance of caution in the circumstances and with a primary view to the protection of innocent children, to have immediately notified proper State authority of McQueary's report. The fact that C/S/S elected not to do so likely represents a misdirected sense of caring for an individual, born of previous friendship, being allowed to override the administrative caution objectively demanded by the situation they were confronted with. Their positions of high organizational responsibility meant they were paid to make just that kind of tough call. Where Jerry Sandusky is concerned they failed to do so and the rest is sad, irreversible history.

Last edited:

When Curley et al received their 2001 report of Sandusky's being found naked in the shower of a locked, limited-access building at or about 10:00 at night, engaging in some sort of physical activity with a naked, sub-teen boy, they were already aware of the 1998 investigation and at least generally what it had been for. True, they would've also known he'd been completely cleared of any wrongdoing at the time. But knowledge of his clearance then did not change the fact that now they had a second report, originated by a (supposedly at least) credible individual, of similar activity to that which triggered the 1998 investigation, occurring at an odd time of day in rather suspicious circumstances.

From where I sit, no 20 / 20 hindsight would've been required for a prudent man, acting out of an abundance of caution in the circumstances and with a primary view to the protection of innocent children, to have immediately notified proper State authority of McQueary's report. The fact that C/S/S elected not to do so represents a misdirected sense of caring for an individual, born of previous friendship, being allowed to override the administrative caution objectively demanded by the situation they were confronted with. Their positions of high organizational responsibility meant they were paid to make just that kind of tough call. Where Jerry Sandusky is concerned they failed to do so and the rest is sad, irreversible history.

Here is a question that might require 20/20 foresight: how do ambiguous descriptions of what went on in the shower that night transmogrify into anal rape 10 years later?

Reactions: jomouli23
Admit guilt so the masses would get angrier?

Try this one on for size, asshole. Friends were involved in a lawsuit. During discovery, opposition counsel elicited statements from a "witness" that it intended to enter into evidence. Judge ruled that they could. Friends' counsel motioned to call said witness. Opposing counsel objected, producing a statement from the witness that appearing at trail would create undue hardship. Judge agreed. Friends' counsel then moved to depose witness. Opposing counsel objected and judge ruled in their favor. At the end, all the judge would allow friends' counsel to submit an interrogatory. Answers to the interrogatory never directly addressed the questions posed, instead only referring to answers in the initial interrogatory.

So why, great legal mind, did the judge in this case limit one side from asking questions that it thought to be pertinent? While I have no direct knowledge of other cases in which this has happened, I am told from reliable sources that this practice isn't uncommon.
So you tell me a story about your friend and a singular witness. Ok, terrific. Did that effectively end the lawsuit? Are you implying that all information that the Paterno's obtained in discovery was then stuffed by the judge? LOL.

So you tell me a story about your friend and a singular witness. Ok, terrific. Did that effectively end the lawsuit? Are you implying that all information that the Paterno's obtained in discovery was then stuffed by the judge? LOL.

Given the number of actors in this lawsuit, 3-4 depending on whether you count a married couple as one or two. one was a witness. And, yes, it ended the lawsuit.

I'm not implying anything. I have no idea what the judge has ruled regarding evidence in the Paterno case (remember, it's under seal). But I am saying that a judge can make a ruling on evidence that effectively scuttles a case.

From where I sit, no 20 / 20 hindsight would've been required for a prudent man, acting out of an abundance of caution in the circumstances and with a primary view to the protection of innocent children, to have immediately notified proper State authority of McQueary's report. The fact that C/S/S elected not to do so likely represents a misdirected sense of caring for an individual, born of previous friendship, being allowed to override the administrative caution objectively demanded by the situation they were confronted with. Their positions of high organizational responsibility meant they were paid to make just that kind of tough call. Where Jerry Sandusky is concerned they failed to do so and the rest is sad, irreversible history.
Seems so obvious now doesn't it?

Given the number of actors in this lawsuit, 3-4 depending on whether you count a married couple as one or two. one was a witness. And, yes, it ended the lawsuit.

I'm not implying anything. I have no idea what the judge has ruled regarding evidence in the Paterno case (remember, it's under seal). But I am saying that a judge can make a ruling on evidence that effectively scuttles a case.
And the number of people involved in this is large, thus it's not really a relavent example. Besides, the timing, as Dan Wetzel explains, points to the Paterno's not being able to produce the discovery backing their claims.

And the number of people involved in this is large, thus it's not really a relavent example. Besides, the timing, as Dan Wetzel explains, points to the Paterno's not being able to produce the discovery backing their claims.

Uh, no. I described the aforementioned case to a number of friends who are attorneys, some in pretty high-powered firms. Each of them said that what I described is not uncommon, even in larger cases. It's not a matter of how much evidence a judge's rulings can block, but how key the evidence is to the case. But then, you and Wetzel are a formidable legal team with expertise far exceeding that of the lawyers to whom I talk, so I really shouldn't even bother.

Uh, no. I described the aforementioned case to a number of friends who are attorneys, some in pretty high-powered firms. Each of them said that what I described is not uncommon, even in larger cases. It's not a matter of how much evidence a judge's rulings can block, but how key the evidence is to the case. But then, you and Wetzel are a formidable legal team with expertise far exceeding that of the lawyers to whom I talk, so I really shouldn't even bother.
In sure you will take that and run with it. Meanwhile, the simplest and the most realistic scenario is that the evidence simply wasn't there.

As I said, believe whatever you wish.

In sure you will take that and run with it. Meanwhile, the simplest and the most realistic scenario is that the evidence simply wasn't there.

As I said, believe whatever you wish.

I'm not doing anything with it. Just offered a suggestion as to what might be happening. But you're so well plugged in we should all wait for your proclamations. Amazing what bookkeepers in State College are privy to.

And through the actions of the BOT from then until now, our name is forever ruined.

1. Jerry Sandusky is not a pedophile. Before Corbett began his vendetta and the checkbooks were opened, there was only a completely unfounded report ('98) and a confused "report" ('01) against him. Combine that with his decades-long record of helping and caring for children, with the children showing nothing but gratitude and appreciation, and that he is absolutely not a pedophile is the only logical conclusion.

2. What they didn't "feel right" about, they fully vetted and investigated and found to be completely unfounded. Anyone who knew about the '98 incident had the clearest evidence that Sandusky was not a predator.

3-4. All that JM and Dranov had to not "feel right" about was MM's credibility (and sobriety). They moved the "report" up the chain to save face for MM, but since Paterno, Curley, Schultz, and Spanier all knew about the '98 unfounded allegation at the time, they knew there was nothing this time that merited being passed on to DPW/CYS (combined with what Paterno and Curley also likely knew about MM's credibility).

5. They rationally came to that conclusion from the '98 incident because it was the correct and true conclusion to come to. It is others that "convince" themselves that Sandusky was a pedophile because of what the media has put out as the narrative (by design on Corbett's part), because of their animosity towards/jealousy of Penn State/Paterno/Success with Honor, because of a reflexive instinct to "believe the victims", or what have you.

You qualify as a very despicable individual. Hopefully you don't have children and never will.

And through the actions of the BOT from then until now, our name is forever ruined.
No it's not. Look, you can pretend that this is all on the BOT, but CSS's conviction/pleas have nothing to do with the BOT. They screwed penn state and the victims and now are known as criminals. The reputation hit would be the same regardless. You all are mad at the wrong people.

I'm not doing anything with it. Just offered a suggestion as to what might be happening. But you're so well plugged in we should all wait for your proclamations. Amazing what bookkeepers in State College are privy to.
You don't need to be plugged into anything, all you need is common sense. It's funny how you feel the need to attack my posts, yet say nothing to the Sandusky supporters and victim shamers. That says a lot about where your head is at.

Reactions: _fugazi_
No it's not. Look, you can pretend that this is all on the BOT, but CSS's conviction/pleas have nothing to do with the BOT. They screwed penn state and the victims and now are known as criminals. The reputation hit would be the same regardless. You all are mad at the wrong people.

The BoT, Corbett and Surma orchestrated this entire debacle. But for petty intrigues and agendas it didn't have to be.

Reactions: pnnnylion
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT