ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Yankees, Flyers dump Kate Smith's 'God Bless America'...

I believe 50 years from now people look back on these revisionists and say how backward they were.

PS: for fun taking a history class which reminded me who sold people in the sad past. Hint: Europeans never went much beyond the coast. And no, two wrongs don’t make a right.

Reactions: First Last
You have a "story" for everything. I doubt three women (in a row?) took exception to your holding the door open for them. If true, you are definitely traveling in the wrong circles.
Hey smart ass, how many brothers and sisters do I have? Clearly if you know what happens in my life on a day in and out basis, you'd know that. Or, you are a liar that makes things up. So YOU are the one making things up.

Google it, you'll find a thousand stories about the appropriatnes of holding doors open. People are writing about it for a reason, asshole.

And on ignor you go. Why? Because you make stuff up and are a liar.

Last edited:
Reactions: eidolon21
I believe 50 years from now people look back on these revisionists and say how backward they were.

PS: for fun taking a history class which reminded me who sold people in the sad past. Hint: Europeans never went much beyond the coast. And no, two wrongs don’t make a right.

What does this mean? Detroit was built by Natives? Chicago and St Louis by the Chinese? Wtf?

Since I have seen you in public and I know that you are white, I must ask: Why do you feel superior demlion? Your comments are frequently from a position of one who claims to be superior intellectually, morally and in so many other ways. What makes you so "good"?
He's offended because you're offended that he's offended...or something like that...:rolleyes:

Silly, but if the teams are going to pull it, play the Irving Berlin-sung version. He wrote it. While a subtle voice, you can hear his passion for this great song.

Hey smart ass, how many brothers and sisters do I have? Clearly if you know what happens in my life on a day in and out basis, you'd know that. Or, you are a liar that makes things up. So YOU are the one making things up.

Google it, you'll find a thousand stories about the appropriatnes of holding doors open. People are writing about it for a reason, asshole.

And on ignor you go. Why? Because you make stuff up and are a liar.
Oooooooh, the guy with a fake story for every situation has me on ignore!
I wonder how many other married guys have had THREE WOMEN complain because they opened the door for them?

He's offended because you're offended that he's offended...or something like that...:rolleyes:
It would have taken only 4 words to say you did not understand. You used a few more and showed us. Attaboy!

I once asked a hibachi chef what part of Japan he was from... he was Korean. #WHITE PRIVILEGE #BUTTHURT #YUMYUMSAUCE

I'm curious how Flyer's fans feel about this position that management has taken. I know some of you experienced the joy of the Flyers winning the 2 cups in the 70's and the roots of the tradition of Kate Smith's rendition of "God Bless America".

I'm curious how Flyer's fans feel about this position that management has taken. I know some of you experienced the joy of the Flyers winning the 2 cups in the 70's and the roots of the tradition of Kate Smith's rendition of "God Bless America".

I already gave my thoughts in post #106. I was at game 6 in '74, sitting next to the Flyers runway 5 rows from the ice. I was able to touch the Cup as it was sitting on a table during the 3rd period. Greatest live sporting event I've ever attended, it was flat out nuts in South Philly that day.

See the link below. From the article:

"(CNN) -- For years, baseball's New York Yankees and hockey's Philadelphia Flyers have played singer Kate Smith's famous rendition of "God Bless America" during games.

But those long-time traditions have been halted over allegations that other songs performed by Smith -- one of America's biggest singing stars during the early 20th century -- are racist.

Smith is closely tied to the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers because she performed "God Bless America" before Flyers games in the 1970s. A year after her 1986 death, the team erected a statue in her honor outside of its arena.

Now the team won't play her version of the song during games and will cover up her statue.

"We have recently become aware that several songs performed by Kate Smith contain offensive lyrics that do not reflect our values as an organization," the Flyers said in a statement to CNN.

"As we continue to look into this serious matter, we are removing Kate Smith's recording of 'God Bless America' from our library and covering up the statue that stands outside of our arena."

The Yankees said the team also was no longer playing Smith's iconic 1939 version of the song because she sang at least two songs during the 1930s that are now considered racist."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/19/us/k...od-bless-america-song-dropped-trnd/index.html

Not a surprising decision in today's sensitive climate.

Good!

It's about time!

What does this mean? Detroit was built by Natives? Chicago and St Louis by the Chinese? Wtf?
Hint: Media Fan was talking about the coast of Africa, not North America.

He's trying to say slavery wasn't so bad, and that white guys weren't behind it anyway. It's part of the latest crap from the alt right..

He's trying to say slavery wasn't so bad, and that white guys weren't behind it anyway. It's part of the latest crap from the alt right..
Let me guess, you're trying to impersonate a CNN docudrama (aka fake news) host.

See the link below. From the article:

"(CNN) -- For years, baseball's New York Yankees and hockey's Philadelphia Flyers have played singer Kate Smith's famous rendition of "God Bless America" during games.

But those long-time traditions have been halted over allegations that other songs performed by Smith -- one of America's biggest singing stars during the early 20th century -- are racist.

Smith is closely tied to the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers because she performed "God Bless America" before Flyers games in the 1970s. A year after her 1986 death, the team erected a statue in her honor outside of its arena.

Now the team won't play her version of the song during games and will cover up her statue.

"We have recently become aware that several songs performed by Kate Smith contain offensive lyrics that do not reflect our values as an organization," the Flyers said in a statement to CNN.

"As we continue to look into this serious matter, we are removing Kate Smith's recording of 'God Bless America' from our library and covering up the statue that stands outside of our arena."

The Yankees said the team also was no longer playing Smith's iconic 1939 version of the song because she sang at least two songs during the 1930s that are now considered racist."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/19/us/k...od-bless-america-song-dropped-trnd/index.html

Not a surprising decision in today's sensitive climate.

Can we eliminate (ban) anything and everything related to Roseanne Barr for grabbing her crotch and spitting during the National Anthem????

Perhaps I missed it in this thread, but the Flyers have removed the statue of Kate Smith.

Stupid assholes.
Yes, it has been removed.

The Flyers quoted team president Paul Holmgren as saying: "The NHL principle 'Hockey is for Everyone' is at the heart of everything the Flyers stand for. As a result, we cannot stand idle while material from another era gets in the way of who we are today."

Apparently "Everyone" excludes Kate Smith, Kate Smith fans, people who sing songs with lyrics that are offensive to some (and thus presumably actors who read lines that are offensive to some).

Last edited:
Perhaps I missed it in this thread, but the Flyers have removed the statue of Kate Smith.

Stupid assholes.
Is there something I’m missing to explain why a statue of Kate Smith would have anything to do with the Flyers in the first place?

Reactions: poker1
So in other words, there’s no reason to have a statue of her up in the first place.

Someone probably engineered the whole thing. “Let’s spend lots of money on a statue to honor a great singer and Flyers’ tradition, have a grand unveiling ceremony, make it a stadium landmark, leak her disgusting past, watch the OUTRAGE. :eek: fester, tell everyone we’re disgusted by her past, cover the statue to temporarily appease the masses, and remove the statue while condemning her and preaching moral superiority.”

:eek:

Someone probably engineered the whole thing. “Let’s spend lots of money on a statue to honor a great singer and Flyers’ tradition, have a grand unveiling ceremony, make it a stadium landmark, leak her disgusting past, watch the OUTRAGE. :eek: fester, tell everyone we’re disgusted by her past, cover the statue to temporarily appease the masses, and remove the statue while condemning her and preaching moral superiority.”

:eek:
Sounds about right.

The Flyers quoted team president Paul Holmgren as saying: "The NHL principle 'Hockey is for Everyone' is at the heart of everything the Flyers stand for. As a result, we cannot stand idle while material from another era gets in the way of who we are today."

Using that sentiment, Tom Yawkey should be removed from the baseball hall of fame immediately.

Seeing that the "racist" songs are 80 years old, aren't the Yankees and Flyers racist too for playing her song in the first place?

I'd bet if you looked back at those in society back then, you could find a lot of influential people who would be retroactively considered racist simply due to the societal norms at the time.
And that's exactly what is happening right now. We are judging the past based on current mores.

What a game, what a series, what a victory! I'm envious that you were at the Spectrum for it.

I was thinking about that day last Tuesday all day as I was getting ready to attend Game 4 of the Jackets vs the Bolts. It was really not possible to explain to Mrs KG, though I tried.....

Of course, like most folks in Philly at the time, I watched Game 6 on TV. I still remember the hundreds of people that night celebrating at one of the main intersections in my hometown (Street and Davisville Rds).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT