ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Yankees, Flyers dump Kate Smith's 'God Bless America'...

I think we assign "racism" to any comment about race today. We had an "early dismissal" from work today and went out for a beverage. One of my employees said that his landscaping was being done by some Mexican guys who were exceptionally good at their craft. Another employee called him a racist. Is it really racist to call a person from Mexico and "Mexican"? Especially when the context is in a complimentary remark?

Reactions: RussianEagle
See the link below. From the article:

"(CNN) -- For years, baseball's New York Yankees and hockey's Philadelphia Flyers have played singer Kate Smith's famous rendition of "God Bless America" during games.

But those long-time traditions have been halted over allegations that other songs performed by Smith -- one of America's biggest singing stars during the early 20th century -- are racist.

Smith is closely tied to the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers because she performed "God Bless America" before Flyers games in the 1970s. A year after her 1986 death, the team erected a statue in her honor outside of its arena.

Now the team won't play her version of the song during games and will cover up her statue.

"We have recently become aware that several songs performed by Kate Smith contain offensive lyrics that do not reflect our values as an organization," the Flyers said in a statement to CNN.

"As we continue to look into this serious matter, we are removing Kate Smith's recording of 'God Bless America' from our library and covering up the statue that stands outside of our arena."

The Yankees said the team also was no longer playing Smith's iconic 1939 version of the song because she sang at least two songs during the 1930s that are now considered racist."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/19/us/k...od-bless-america-song-dropped-trnd/index.html

Not a surprising decision in today's sensitive climate.

What’s your reasoning for copy/pasting the entire article except the part with the ridiculously racist lyrics? You purposely left that part out.

Pfft. How racist could her songs be?

*Reads Article*

3ad039f9eece51a4f3383f404d7c9e4a.gif

Yeah, I was thinking oh come on it’s probably something innocuous. Nope, it’s as bad as possible.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I think we assign "racism" to any comment about race today. We had an "early dismissal" from work today and went out for a beverage. One of my employees said that his landscaping was being done by some Mexican guys who were exceptionally good at their craft. Another employee called him a racist. Is it really racist to call a person from Mexico and "Mexican"? Especially when the context is in a complimentary remark?

If I said Formula One racing sucked and is boring, does that make me a racist? :(

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Primarily that we should judge people by the acceptable standards of their day and not by the evolving mores of later generations.

I think it is important that we understand what norms were at particular times. But I don’t think that means we don’t point out that they are wrong by today’s standards and that they are unacceptable in today’s world.
I personally would not be bothered one bit by hearing Kate Smith singing God Bless America at a sporting event. But there are many other versions of the song that can be played just as easily by others without songs about “darkies” and “pickaninnies” in there catalog so if I was in charge I would probably just play one of those instead.

I think it is important that we understand what norms were at particular times. But I don’t think that means we don’t point out that they are wrong by today’s standards and that they are unacceptable in today’s world.
I personally would not be bothered one bit by hearing Kate Smith singing God Bless America at a sporting event. But there are many other versions of the song that can be played just as easily by others without songs about “darkies” and “pickaninnies” in there catalog so if I was in charge I would probably just play one of those instead.
I can generally agree with that but, looking back, I will condemn the song and not the singer.

I can generally agree with that but, looking back, I will condemn the song and not the singer.

Yeah, I think I can go with that for the most part. For me it’s not so much of matter condemning the singer as much as it is amazing that this was acceptable at any point in our history.
Have a good weekend.

Reactions: Jovialgent

Headline currently on cnn.com:

"Mexican troops confront US soldiers in Texas"

Why label the troops Mexicans and the soldiers US? I find that offensive.

:eek:

I will never again attend a Flyers or Yankees game. They are supporting guilty until proven innocent. Kate Smith was singing a song she was paid to sing, not giving a speech to express her beliefs. How soon until it becomes politically correct to blacklist any actor who speaks a racist line in a movie? Welcome to the generation of snowflakes and political correctness. Sure seems like McCarthyism reborn.

Enough of this B.S. about what people did, said, sang 50 to 100 years ago. It was different time. Was it right/wrong is not for me to judge. It is our Lord's. We have all done/said things that we regret; let it go.

These rushes to Judgement and those who make them are idiotic.
Inntbe not too distant future, this era will look like cavemen for extinguishIng beating hearts of viable unborn children. So we best not get too sanctimonious.

Since I have seen you in public and I know that you are white, I must ask: Why do you feel superior demlion? Your comments are frequently from a position of one who claims to be superior intellectually, morally and in so many other ways. What makes you so "good"?
I'm not any better than anyone else. Why are you so whiny and butthurt?

So your friend saw their immigration documents? Or could they have been from other countries? Why did those men or women have to have a label other than "good landscaper?"

Maybe they are from Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, etc. Still Mexicans? Perhaps they were AMERICANS, even.

Reactions: poker1
Inntbe not too distant future, this era will look like cavemen for extinguishIng beating hearts of viable unborn children. So we best not get too sanctimonious.
Agreed. It will be interesting to see if abortion laws are ever overturned. Will current planned parenting be charged with murders? Since we can apply today’s laws to yesterday’s practices.

Flat out - it is a stupid policy. And it is pointless. Unless you are trying to build a case for something else. I was teased and labeled for other posts here, but I am not far off. You will hear the word reparation and it will be a huge taking point for Democrats in 2020. Just like free health care and free education. Nothing is free.

God, I hate the offseason, how many more days until September.

Reactions: bmw199
Plenty of sports teams have no problem playing that Mo Bama song despite is extremely profane, racist and obscene lyrics.

But my ni##as want to ball out ya bitch..why you got as probs with dat punk ass cracker foo

Daytrip took it to ten
I got hoes calling a young nigga phone
Where's Ali with the mother****ing dope? (bitch, bitch)
I be ballin' like a mo'****in' pro (like a, huh, like a, huh)
I be ballin' like my nigga Mo (Bamba, bitch)
Sheck Wes, I ain't a mo'****in' joke (haha, hahahahaha)
Steph Wes stay with the ****in' pole (pa, pa, pa-pa)

I was at game 6 in 1974 as an 11 year kid with my father. Greatest live sporting event I've ever attended to this day. Seeing Kate Smith sing GBA in person only added to the craziness of the day. Even Esposito and Orr tried to break the luck by shaking her hand. Not sure what I'm trying to say, only that those memories won't be diminished one bit from this latest news. Honestly, they should have bagged Smith's version years ago, she's been gone for the last 33.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
I was at game 6 in 1974 as a 10 year kid with my father. Greatest live sporting event I've ever attended to this day. Seeing Kate Smith sing GBA in person only added to the craziness of the day. Even Esposito and Orr tried to break the luck by shaking her hand.

What a game, what a series, what a victory! I'm envious that you were at the Spectrum for it.

Seeing that the "racist" songs are 80 years old, aren't the Yankees and Flyers racist too for playing her song in the first place?

I'd bet if you looked back at those in society back then, you could find a lot of influential people who would be retroactively considered racist simply due to the societal norms at the time.
Well, Paul Robeson sang at least one of them.. but I guess that's different.

So your friend saw their immigration documents? Or could they have been from other countries? Why did those men or women have to have a label other than "good landscaper?"

Maybe they are from Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, etc. Still Mexicans? Perhaps they were AMERICANS, even.
He mentioned something about bringing out a cooler of drinks (beer and Gatorade) when they were packing up the truck and talking to them. You know, just shooting the shit (and being a good person). I know you assume that he stood behind a window and said something like "look at those efficient Mexicans" but your always casting aspersions on folks that you disagree with.

Reactions: Ski
He mentioned something about bringing out a cooler of drinks (beer and Gatorade) when they were packing up the truck and talking to them. You know, just shooting the shit (and being a good person). I know you assume that he stood behind a window and said something like "look at those efficient Mexicans" but your always casting aspersions on folks that you disagree with.
So is that when he saw their documents? I never said he was racist, your other friend did. Insisting on labelling people is something lots of people do, not just racists. By itself it is just ignorance, but for a fair number of folks it seems kind of racist. IF you are Hispanic-appearing and a landscaper, the labellers will call you a Mexican even if you are not. You are utterly unoffended by this.

What is funny is your butthurt that there are people who do THE EXACT SAME thing and call a person racist, even though all he did was ignorantly label people without evidence.

Why is it that you notice the one that affects white folks negatively, but are not at all aware of the one that affects brown people negatively? WHITE. PRIVILEGE.

Last edited:
Waiting for The Fighting Irish to stop fighting.

Notre Dame is called the Fighting Irish because in the 1920s some football writer wrote a story about ND game where they fought like those Fighting Irishmen form Detroit!

Notre Dame is called the Fighting Irish because in the 1920s some football writer wrote a story about ND game where they fought like those Fighting Irishmen form Detroit!

Or people who looked like them.

As a Flyers fan, I applaud the team's swift reaction in light of this news.

If you sing the lyrics, “Someone had to pick the cotton. … That’s why darkies were born," you get what you deserve.

Regardless, Lauren Hart is better.
The right thing to do is to ban the racist songs, not the artist along with all the hideous, racial, sexist rap 'songs. I'm surprised by this action by Flyer management. I would have expected them to stand up to the pc special interests similar to the actions or non actions by the Redskins management.

Reactions: First Last
So is that when he saw their documents? I never said he was racist, your other friend did. Insisting on labelling people is something lots of people do, not just racists. By itself it is just ignorance, but for a fair number of folks it seems kind of racist. IF you are Hispanic-appearing and a landscaper, the labellers will call you a Mexican even if you are not. You are utterly unoffended by this.

What is funny is your butthurt that there are people who do THE EXACT SAME thing and call a person racist, even though all he did was ignorantly label people without evidence.

Why is it that you notice the one that affects white folks negatively, but are not at all aware of the one that affects brown people negatively? WHITE. PRIVILEGE.
So, while sharing a beer, he asked them where they were from and they said "The Monterrey Area". Is this when he should have asked them for their papers? That would seem like such a buzz kill to me.

Reactions: nittnee
History will not be kind to this moment in time.
In the near future, hubris will be deemed one of most hateful human attributes of all time. Remember the Glass House thingy. Those that demeaned people based on today's deceitful and fraudulent reasoning will have their personal social media platforms taken down in shame. Ouch!

So, while sharing a beer, he asked them where they were from and they said "The Monterrey Area". Is this when he should have asked them for their papers? That would seem like such a buzz kill to me.
Lol. Bullshit. Monterey California? Lol.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT