ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Thoughts on Mark Perry possibly going to back to Iowa?

Not sure if I'm right but believe that IMAR can go to grad school and be able to wrestle so then he will stay with HWC after he is done with college wrestling. Have no idea which place Perry will end up but hope he returns to Iowa.
[

BIG rules for transfer within the conference require the athlete to sit out a year AND lose a year of eligibility. Has nothing to do with going to grad school. That is an exception to NCAA transfer rules.

The thread had DonHawkeye implying PSU uses underhanded tactics to draw recruits. In return, I made a comment suggesting that those tactics are called "winning". I deeply apologize that my actions are offensive to you. I don't understand it but I am indeed sorry. Also, much was said in that thread and I do agree that most times that never ends well. In this case though, I think things ended just fine....

I believe HawkeyeDon is the same genius who posted that Verkleeren was promised "in the mid six figures" by the NLWC after graduation from PSU. Just a data point to consider before responding to his posts.

This will just be a stop on the Perry road to a HC. if he goes to IC, ill take bets that it lasts less than 3 years.

Would be cool if Imar stayed in champagne after graduation as a coach as he pursues his FS goals. I think he would be good for recruiting and certainly a great guy in the room.

This will just be a stop on the Perry road to a HC. if he goes to IC, ill take bets that it lasts less than 3 years.

Would be cool if Imar stayed in champagne after graduation as a coach as he pursues his FS goals. I think he would be good for recruiting and certainly a great guy in the room.
Does Champaign have an RTC? I know Southern Illinois, and Northern Illinois do, not sure about one at University of Illinois.

The move makes a lot of sense to me if Perry is going to be one of the college coaches and Terry Brands moves to head the HWC. Perry as head of the HWC would not make nearly as much sense based on the fact he has no post collegiate international experience.
But he's coached guys to success in the International styles... You don't need to be an olympian to coach one.

Not picking on you at all, as I respect your insights on multiple boards, but generally speaking about our sport as a whole, we need to learn that just because you reached the pinnacle of a sport doesn't mean you can help anyone else get there. In return, just because you weren't an Olympian doesn't mean you can't coach someone to that level. I've seen huge clubs built off a name that definitely aren't getting their $500/month, or whatever idiotic price they charge, worth at "__________ Trained Wrestling". It is a good correlation, but it isn't a sure-fire bet.

Reactions: Gebmo
Chicago/evanston is 2hr up the road. And they have an RTC.

Not sure whey he would do that. Iowa City isn't much further from Champaign than Evanston, in fact due to traffic it's about the same. Besides, why have a long commute? I'm guessing Imar does not stay at Illinois post grad at least as long as he is still competing.

BIG rules for transfer within the conference require the athlete to sit out a year AND lose a year of eligibility. Has nothing to do with going to grad school. That is an exception to NCAA transfer rules.[/QUOTE

Again Ruddock just did this for football. From Iowa to Michigan. There is a waiver to be signed but it will be rubberstamped as long as you can prove academic progress on the checklist. Which from my knowledge of what is going on in Ames for college basketball really isn't hard to do or get. The rules you speak about do not apply to graduating students. I believe the NCAA needs the waiver, not the conference, and the NCAA will not stand in the way of advancing your education :)

But he's coached guys to success in the International styles... You don't need to be an olympian to coach one.

Not picking on you at all, as I respect your insights on multiple boards, but generally speaking about our sport as a whole, we need to learn that just because you reached the pinnacle of a sport doesn't mean you can help anyone else get there. In return, just because you weren't an Olympian doesn't mean you can't coach someone to that level. I've seen huge clubs built off a name that definitely aren't getting their $500/month, or whatever idiotic price they charge, worth at "__________ Trained Wrestling". It is a good correlation, but it isn't a sure-fire bet.

I agree completely. Sometimes the best make great coaches, but many times the best coaches aren’t the best at what they do. My main sport was golf. I know men and women who were top players (on both tours) who were not able to teach others. Some of the best teachers I’ve known in golf weren’t even able to do themselves what they could see in others and get others doing correctly.

A few players I could never understand how they got that good without a complete understanding of the swing. Most of them didn’t need it…they had a pro watching their every move and they were incredibly talented (unlike me). One in particular was almost comical, great talent but a fish out of water if something wasn’t working. They had no clue, but I could take a look at a swing or two and know what was wrong (because I knew them well).

From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t matter how good you yourself are, if you are male, female, how you are built, etc. if you truly understand something, you can teach it. Many times in teaching, CONVINCING people of what is the best or to change, and getting buy in to really work at it is the hardest thing….and determines the best teachers….and the best learners.

From what I’ve seen, Cael and staff not only know what to teach (knowing each guy is different)….but get the buy in and hard work from the team. Doesn’t hurt to have so many great guys to practice it against either. Maybe we should have a discussion on iron sharpening iron. :)

Reactions: Dogwelder

I can't recall any Illinois guys having much success post college during Perry's tenure. Have they had a single guy make a world team or even win a US Open? Not being a wise guy, just honestly cant think of any,

Reactions: Dogwelder
Coaching at Iowa is a big deal. Mark is a unique talent. it would be exciting for the sport.
I agree completely. Sometimes the best make great coaches, but many times the best coaches aren’t the best at what they do. My main sport was golf. I know men and women who were top players (on both tours) who were not able to teach others. Some of the best teachers I’ve known in golf weren’t even able to do themselves what they could see in others and get others doing correctly.

A few players I could never understand how they got that good without a complete understanding of the swing. Most of them didn’t need it…they had a pro watching their every move and they were incredibly talented (unlike me). One in particular was almost comical, great talent but a fish out of water if something wasn’t working. They had no clue, but I could take a look at a swing or two and know what was wrong (because I knew them well).

From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t matter how good you yourself are, if you are male, female, how you are built, etc. if you truly understand something, you can teach it. Many times in teaching, CONVINCING people of what is the best or to change, and getting buy in to really work at it is the hardest thing….and determines the best teachers….and the best learners.

From what I’ve seen, Cael and staff not only know what to teach (knowing each guy is different)….but get the buy in and hard work from the team. Doesn’t hurt to have so many great guys to practice it against either. Maybe we should have a discussion on iron sharpening iron. :)
its steel sharpens steel in my book-
Anyone see a major personality/power struggle in this arrangement?

I can't recall any Illinois guys having much success post college during Perry's tenure. Have they had a single guy make a world team or even win a US Open? Not being a wise guy, just honestly cant think of any,

For guys that went to Illinois - Jimmy Kennedy made the world team, can't remember if he graduated before Perry came on board. Zane Richards made the University World team, beating Tyler Graff in the process.

For guys that were at the Illinois RTC - Novachkov went to the Olympics and Wynn Michalak (sp) won the open - maybe even trials?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT