ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Thoughts on Mark Perry possibly going to back to Iowa?

I went to the Iowa's HR to read up on the Mark Perry details, and all I saw were a handful of them calling all PSU fans "pedophiles".

I went to the Iowa's HR to read up on the Mark Perry details, and all I saw were a handful of them calling all PSU fans "pedophiles".
And, before that, I saw one of our own engaging in a d- swinging contest with them.

That always goes over so well ...

Reactions: Creek Side
Challenging any bogus thing you can think of, in a very transparent way, to give your wrestler a lunger break is not my kind of coaching.

I have always liked Mark and would love to see him in Iowa City again. I respect him always going in his own way, blazing his own trail. His finals win over Hendricks was an epic moment in Hawkeye history! So slick and dangerous on top

And, before that, I saw one of our own engaging in a d- swinging contest with them.

That always goes over so well ...
The thread had DonHawkeye implying PSU uses underhanded tactics to draw recruits. In return, I made a comment suggesting that those tactics are called "winning". I deeply apologize that my actions are offensive to you. I don't understand it but I am indeed sorry. Also, much was said in that thread and I do agree that most times that never ends well. In this case though, I think things ended just fine....

Last edited:
The thread had DonHawkeye implying PSU uses underhanded tactics to draw recruits. In return, I made a comment suggesting that those tactics are called "winning". I deeply apologize that my actions are offensive to you. I don't understand it but I am indeed sorry. Also, much was said in that thread and I do agree that most times that never ends well. In this case though, I think things ended just fine....
You didn't offend me. I merely pointed out that one of ours poked the bear.

Now, if you actually believe PSU fans being called pedophiles, "rapey" culture, and the like are evidence of something ending just fine ... to me that was more like juggling chainsaws in the middle lane of I-95 during rush hour.

I honestly don't get all of the excitement about it. It's not like he's a Dake, Taylor or Burroughs in regards to being a recruiting draw.

I thought the discussion was about Chris Perry.
99% of the kids in PA/NJ will have no idea who this Mark guy is.

I always thought when Perry left behind a head coaching position at Cal Poly to go to Illinois that he would be head coach for the Illini in short order. Guess that hasn't worked out. A job in Iowa would seem like another step down for him honestly. Associate head coach (and #2 guy) at Illinois to what position at Iowa? Head guy to #2 guy to #3 or 4 guy? Not a good progression.

I always thought when Perry left behind a head coaching position at Cal Poly to go to Illinois that he would be head coach for the Illini in short order. Guess that hasn't worked out. A job in Iowa would seem like another step down for him honestly. Associate head coach (and #2 guy) at Illinois to what position at Iowa? Head guy to #2 guy to #3 or 4 guy? Not a good progression.
Cenzo broke him

I disagree. Without knowing where Mark will land at Iowa, if he even goes, any comment about "progression" is presumptive. There's lots of reasons folks change jobs, who am I, or who is anyone, to judge such a personal decision. Cael has been judged (and appears will always be) by immature people about his choices, and we all know how that worked out.

I know Mark from his days in State College, and wish him well with his decision.

Reactions: nitlion6
I disagree. Without knowing where Mark will land at Iowa, if he even goes, any comment about "progression" is presumptive. There's lots of reasons folks change jobs, who am I, or who is anyone, to judge such a personal decision. Cael has been judged (and appears will always be) by immature people about his choices, and we all know how that worked out.

I know Mark from his days in State College, and wish him well with his decision.

I presume he will not be "ahead" of TnT on the depth chart. If that is presumptive, I guess it's presumptive. I don't think you could find anyone to bet against that presumption, though. Perry would be going from a #1a position (alongside a much older head coach) to, at best, a #3 position whereas Cael went from #1 to #1. So Cael's situation is entirely different than Perry's.

I'm saying it doesn't make much sense for Perry to make this move if he wants a head job somewhere. Maybe he doesn't. Not judging him for that. I just don't see where he fits in at Iowa.

I presume he will not be "ahead" of TnT on the depth chart. If that is presumptive, I guess it's presumptive. I don't think you could find anyone to bet against that presumption, though. Perry would be going from a #1a position (alongside a much older head coach) to, at best, a #3 position whereas Cael went from #1 to #1. So Cael's situation is entirely different than Perry's.

I'm saying it doesn't make much sense for Perry to make this move if he wants a head job somewhere. Maybe he doesn't. Not judging him for that. I just don't see where he fits in at Iowa.
For discussion purposes, lets say Perry goes from Associate Head Coach at Illinois to the same position at Iowa, a much better program. (Would then free up Terry to run HWC.) This doesn't enhance his career prospects?

Reactions: nitlion6
The move makes a lot of sense to me if Perry is going to be one of the college coaches and Terry Brands moves to head the HWC. Perry as head of the HWC would not make nearly as much sense based on the fact he has no post collegiate international experience.

For discussion purposes, lets say Perry goes from Associate Head Coach at Illinois to the same position at Iowa, a much better program. (Would then free up Terry to run HWC.) This doesn't enhance his career prospects?

Do you see this as a feasible possibility? I don't. But the only way it enhances his career prospects is if you view Tom as more likely to leave Iowa than Heffernan is to leave Illinois. He goes to Iowa and he is stuck behind Brands for as long as Brands stays.

Do you see this as a feasible possibility? I don't. But the only way it enhances his career prospects is if you view Tom as more likely to leave Iowa than Heffernan is to leave Illinois. He goes to Iowa and he is stuck behind Brands for as long as Brands stays.
"Only way" ...You don't think that makes him a more viable head coach candidate at some other school?

"Only way" ...You don't think that makes him a more viable head coach candidate at some other school?

Not really. What does he add to his resume? He's AHC at a different program that is traditionally more successful than the one he left? How does that make him more viable? Unless he, rather than Brands, is viewed as responsible for a huge theoretical turnaround which may or may not happen, he is no more viable than he is now. If he came to PSU's staff now, would that make more viable still? A move to a school that is stuck in mediocrity at which he helps to dramatically improve performance would be a move that would increase his viability. He's been an assistant coach, a co-head coach and an associate head coach already. I don't see how being an afterthought at Iowa which is clearly perceived as Brands' program helps him.

I hear there is an opening at Penn. Now *that* would be a move that makes sense. Restore the program there, which has been floundering for a while and he becomes immensely more viable.

Last edited:
Not really. What does he add to his resume? He's AHC at a different program that is traditionally more successful than the one he left? How does that make him more viable? Unless he, rather than Brands, is viewed as responsible for a huge theoretical turnaround which may or may not happen, he is no more viable than he is now. If he came to PSU's staff now, would that make more viable still? A move to a school that is stuck in mediocrity at which he helps to dramatically improve performance would be a move that would increase his viability. He's been an assistant coach, a co-head coach and an associate head coach already. I don't see how being an afterthought at Iowa which is clearly perceived as Brands' program helps him.

I hear there is an opening at Penn. Now *that* would be a move that makes sense. Restore the program there, which has been floundering for a while and he becomes immensely more viable.
Agree if he takes the Penn job.

Disagree completely on lateral at Iowa.
(1) If you think Iowa is only "traditionally" better than Illinois, then when did Illinois last beat Iowa in a dual, Midlands, Big Tens, or NCAAs?
(2) Exposure to a different mgmt style at a better program is always a plus. "Viability" can also be measured in skills acquired. If he feels blocked at Illinois after this many years, then his learning curve is capped there.
(3) Iowa and Brands are much better situations for visibility and networking.
(4) What makes you think Brands would make him "afterthought" or that Perry would accept an "afterthought" position?
(5) Which position is more likely to grab the attention of a hiring manager -- an AD who most likely isn't a former wrestler and focuses most of their time on football and hoops?

As far as your question goes about "what if he came to PSU's staff now": Casey and/or Cody are mentioned in nearly every head coaching vacancy.

When did B1G change its rules?

It changed when Michigan needed a QB who happened to be the QB at Iowa who already graduated. The BIG used to have a rule about transferring within the conference until Harbaugh showed up and was in need of a QB. Now you can do it if you graduated, but still have eligibility.

Reactions: hlstone
It changed when Michigan needed a QB who happened to be the QB at Iowa who already graduated. The BIG used to have a rule about transferring within the conference until Harbaugh showed up and was in need of a QB. Now you can do it if you graduated, but still have eligibility.

Unless I read incorrectly, that case involved getting a waiver to the policy, not rescinding the policy.

Article on Flo ... sorry if posted earlier didn't see it anywhere on the page

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/55935-mark-perry-considering-move-to-coach-at-iowa#.WRPPDLspCEc
Let him go...No biggie at all....We all know the style he teaches which would fit perfect with Iowa....It will not matter cause Iowa State will be the best team in that state in a couple years...They will be out recruiting Iowa very soon....Plus they have a very good Coaching staff compared to Iowa....Continue to battle for 2nd more many years ahead folks....

Unless I read incorrectly, that case involved getting a waiver to the policy, not rescinding the policy.

Not sure if I'm right but believe that IMAR can go to grad school and be able to wrestle so then he will stay with HWC after he is done with college wrestling. Have no idea which place Perry will end up but hope he returns to Iowa.
[

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT