ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Pitt BBall taking beating over blocking grad transfer Johnson....

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/c...cle_5849902a-3f1c-11e7-a997-d30456df9390.html

When Cameron Johnson decided to transfer from Pitt, it was seen as perhaps the biggest loss in an off-season of departures for the school. Instead, it's become even more, putting Pitt and Johnson at the center of a national debate over the rights of NCAA student-athletes.

Johnson, a Moon Township native and OLSH grad, requested his release for his Pitt scholarship in early April and is expected to graduate this year. He’s played two seasons with the Panthers after getting a medical redshirt for his first term at Pitt. Because he’ll have already graduated from Pitt, Johnson will be eligible immediately and have two seasons to play with whichever school he chooses to transfer to.

That is, with some exceptions. Pitt gave Johnson an immediate release from his scholarship, but not if he chooses to transfer to another ACC institution or another team on Pitt’s 2017-18 schedule. That’s a standard practice among Division I schools these days, but it’s also become increasingly unpopular.

Johnson started his search for a new home by visiting Moon native John Calipari at Kentucky and Blackhawk grad Sean Miller at Arizona, along with Oregon and UCLA. He’s also showed interest in Ohio State and TCU.

As a redshirt sophomore, the Pitt guard and OLSH grad went much of the year going unnoticed while the Panthers' seniors did most of the scoring. Now Johnson's known around the ACC as a threat from beyond the arc.

But the current front-runner for Johnson represents the source of the drama: North Carolina. Johnson recently received permission from Pitt to contact Tar Heels’ coach Roy Williams and has done so. There seems to be a lot of mutual interest, with Carolina looking to replace ACC player of the year Justin Jackson, who will enter the NBA.

Johnson and Jackson are both 6-foot-8 and are both talented 3-point shooters, setting up a natural landing spot for Johnson. But there’s the sticking point of North Carolina’s conference affiliation, and Pitt doesn’t seem willing to budge on the program’s restrictions.

Pitt can’t stop Johnson from waiting out a season to transfer, but because he’s already redshirted once, he would lose a season of eligibility if he went down that road. A Pitt athletics spokesperson defended the university’s decision in a statement:

“Cameron Johnson and his father were informed of our policy as well as the appeals process when they elected to seek to transfer. They went through our transfer appeals process and were granted permission to contact ACC schools however, the committee upheld the policy to limit immediate eligibility within the conference. If Cameron were to transfer within the ACC, he would be eligible to receive financial aid immediately but would have to sit out a year of competition due to standard NCAA transfer regulations. Throughout this process, we have remained consistent to our department policy and we will continue to do so.”

The policy that Pitt maintains is common in college athletics, not just basketball, and all of Pitt’s five outgoing transfers and three incoming transfers this off-season were subject to similar restrictions.

That didn’t stop ESPN analyst Jay Bilas from spending most of the day on Sunday railing against Pitt’s decision on Twitter, saying “Pitt is wrong here, and should let Johnson go.”

Follow
Jay Bilas

✔@JayBilas

Cameron Johnson GRADUATED from Pitt, and stayed at Pitt when his coach, Jamie Dixon, bolted to TCU. Now, he's restricted? That's wrong.

4:27 PM - 21 May 2017

Bilas believes that players should be able to transfer freely, citing the ability of NCAA coaches to change jobs at will while players get restricted. He also believes that the NCAA should compensate players for their time. Bilas, a former Duke player and assistant coach, clearly has an agenda beyond whether Johnson transfers to North Carolina or not. He also has over 1.7 million Twitter followers and a voice on one of America’s most-watched cable networks, turning Pitt’s decision into a proxy for his larger arguments.

That’s left Pitt with a no-win situation. The school can continue to block Johnson from being immediately eligible at North Carolina and other ACC schools and take a beating from public figures that disagree. Or they can relent, losing face at changing their mind due to the heat of public perception.

On the other hand, Johnson seems to have a win-win. He has a ready-made home in North Carolina if he can find away to become eligible there. He also has several other attractive offers to play for some of college basketball’s best programs.

I gotta side with Pitt on this one....don't transfer to an in conference school. That seems pretty reasonable to me. How many D-1 basketball programs are there? He can't find one other than UNC? Please.

Yep, it's pretty much a standard policy. Is Bilas mouthing off the definition of taking a beating??? Who cares what Bilas thinks? Pitt BB has more pressing issues than giving any consideration to what Bilas or anyone else thinks.

Reactions: step.eng69
Yep, it's pretty much a standard policy. Is Bilas mouthing off the definition of taking a beating??? Who cares what Bilas thinks? Pitt BB has more pressing issues than giving any consideration to what Bilas or anyone else thinks.

No - had a significant block of coverage on College Sports Nation on Sirius XM today as well. There is more, but you'd have to have enough interest to go looking for it.

Reactions: bison13
I'm almost uniformly in favor of anything that gives athletes - especially ones that have their degree - more freedom of movement, and I think it's a bad thing for the power balance in college sports for a school to restrict where a player goes.

That said, Pitt isn't doing anything different than any other school with this practice - Penn State included. If I were a Pitt fan, I'd be disappointed just like I'm disappointed if/when Penn State puts these kinds of restrictions on transferring athletes.

Reactions: LionJim
If he is a grad transfer he should be able to transfer anywhere he wants, free and clear. Johnson has done everything right, he should not be penalized.

If Johnson was not a graduate and was seeking a transfer, I have no problem with Pitt placing restrictions on where he could go.

I'm almost uniformly in favor of anything that gives athletes - especially ones that have their degree - more freedom of movement, and I think it's a bad thing for the power balance in college sports for a school to restrict where a player goes.

That said, Pitt isn't doing anything different than any other school with this practice - Penn State included. If I were a Pitt fan, I'd be disappointed just like I'm disappointed if/when Penn State puts these kinds of restrictions on transferring athletes.

Big difference here is his status as a 'grad transfer'. Normally, there is disincentive to transfer to a school within conference because you have to sit out two years (IIRC). That rule doesn't apply to graduate transfers, so he could play immediately (and he still has two years of eligibility). Not allowing a kid to transfer within conference, especially after he's fulfilled his obligation to the school and got his degree, screams of pettiness and insecurity. The rule makes sense if you haven't graduated - if not, he should be allowed to go wherever he wants.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Big difference here is his status as a 'grad transfer'. Normally, there is disincentive to transfer to a school within conference because you have to sit out two years (IIRC). That rule doesn't apply to graduate transfers, so he could play immediately (and he still has two years of eligibility). Not allowing a kid to transfer within conference, especially after he's fulfilled his obligation to the school and got his degree, screams of pettiness and insecurity. The rule makes sense if you haven't graduated - if not, he should be allowed to go wherever he wants.

Curt Flood!

I kind of side with Bilas on this one.

Coaches are free to move without penalty but the NCAA limits what kids can do. I understand that schools/programs don't want players to be able to play musical chairs and have to continue to recruit the players on your team, but this system is so biased against the athlete that it truly is unfair. A school can opt not to renew a scholarship to a player but he can't go somewhere else without sitting out a year. The system really unfair.

Reactions: bison13

Coaches are free to move without penalty but the NCAA limits what kids can do. I understand that schools/programs don't want players to be able to play musical chairs and have to continue to recruit the players on your team, but this system is so biased against the athlete that it truly is unfair. A school can opt not to renew a scholarship to a player but he can't go somewhere else without sitting out a year. The system really unfair.

So if a coach moves to another school and takes a raft of players with him, you're ok with that? How about if he holds a school hostage by threatening to jump ship with a bunch of the team's stars unless he gets a huge contract increase?

So if a coach moves to another school and takes a raft of players with him, you're ok with that? How about if he holds a school hostage by threatening to jump ship with a bunch of the team's stars unless he gets a huge contract increase?

I think you guys are in agreement here....

I think you guys are in agreement here....

BB coach takes 3-4 starters, FB 10-15. Hey, I'm okay with that because I want to see players get paid. Now, if they had contracts there would be compensation if they moved.

My gripe is scholarships are one year renewable. Players technically only have a one year commitment from the school. It is rare that a school pulls the rug out from under a kid but they can at any time. In the current systems coaches and schools can do whatever they want but the kids cannot. I would like to see some equity.

Big difference in Grad transfer and regular transfer. I would hope that Chambers would be at least asking around abotu him, not that he wants to come here but would be the perimeter player they need.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
If he is a grad transfer he should be able to transfer anywhere he wants, free and clear. Johnson has done everything right, he should not be penalized.

If Johnson was not a graduate and was seeking a transfer, I have no problem with Pitt placing restrictions on where he could go.
I thought this was the rule; that graduate (as opposed to undergraduate) students could transfer ANYWHERE without restriction, and be eligible immediately (i.e., for the upcoming season). ???!.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I thought this was the rule; that graduate (as opposed to undergraduate) students could transfer ANYWHERE without restriction, and be eligible immediately (i.e., for the upcoming season). ???!.

They can transfer as long as the school they are transferring to offers the Grad degree they are pursuing and the school you are leaving does not.

Bilas goes on this rant when any school blocks any transfer. This is nothing new for him.

Coaches are free to move without penalty because they're employees....players are not. Pretty simple.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT