ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Baltimore friends - WTF is up with St. Frances Academy and Coach Poggi?

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

More specifically, their coach? Dude seems to be willing to break his own bank to have a national program. What are the thoughts there? He got a 6'5" DT from France? Holy sh*t.

Ugly Schoolboy Football Feud Leaves Baltimore Powerhouse With Zero Opponents For 2018
bmzyuysa4t7xuq1nl6w7.jpg

Photo: Facebook
If you can’t beat ‘em, blackball ‘em. That’s among the morals of the story of the dissolution of Baltimore’s prep football scene, which is now complete: St. Frances Academy, a historically non-athletic and financially strapped institution which is suddenly among the best football schools in the country and fiscally flush thanks to a huge cash windfall from the new head coach’s personal coffers, announced that it is pulling the squad out of the local Catholic league. The move, which came under great duress, was first reported by the Baltimore Sun.

The SFA announcement comes a day after administrators from a league rival, Archbishop Spalding High School, announced they would no longer play St. Frances. Spalding was the fifth scheduled 2018 opponent to publicly declared it was bailing on St. Frances

The East Baltimore school was founded in 1828 as the Saint Frances School for Colored Girls and originally intended for the children of slaves, and has always had a minority-heavy enrollment. Football success, and the related financial excess, is brand new, however: SFA had no football team until 2008, when the program was started with an earmarked $60,000 donation from a Baltimore schoolboy football legend named Biff Poggi. At the time of the donation, Poggi was coaching the then-dominant football team at Gilman School, an old-money, blue-blood magnet where he won league titles in 13 of his 19 years.

Poggi left Gilman after the 2015 season admitting he had a falling out with Gilman brass, a dispute which sources with ties to the school say came over his desire to turn the football program into one with national prominence. According to those sources, Poggi volunteered to use his own money to bring in outside-the-Beltway talent to Gilman in hopes of getting the added renown, but the school’s community preferred that he take his youth football fantasies and big bucks elsewhere.

St. Frances welcomed Poggi as head coach last year, and the new school let him unleash his financial faculties unfettered. Poggi was identified in a profile by the Catholic Review, a newsletter of the Baltimore Archdiocese, as a hedge fund manager. In that piece, SFA officials said Poggi personally paid for the tuition of “more than 40” football players, at around $10,000 a year, and also reported that “out of town” athletes were given room and board in rowhouses in the city’s wholly enviable Canton neighborhood. St. Frances went 13-0 and outscored opponents 534-61 while winning the Catholic league title and finishing the season ranked No. 1 in Baltimore and the state of Maryland, and No. 4 in the country according to USA Today.

Teams who found themselves on the business end of the 2017 carnage have been dropping off future SFA schedules ever since. First, Loyola Blakefield, whupped 65-0 by SFA, announced it was leaving the conference because it was no longer competitive. Other Catholic schools, who SFA had clearly put the fear of god into with similar gridiron trouncings, followed Loyola’s lead, generally citing “safety” concerns as an excuse. Last week, SFA fought back. SFA’s co-head coach Henry Russell tweeted that the Baltimore bailers were “cowards, who teach kids to run from their problems rather than face them.” Then SFA’s principal, Deacon Curtis Turner, went on Facebook to assert that everybody who’d dropped off the schedule was part of a racist conspiracy to “destroy” his school.

Their tirades didn’t curtail the fleeing, however. Spalding bailed on Wednesday, with its president, Kathleen Mahar, issuing an unintentionally hilarious statement to the Sun saying her school, which got whupped 42-7 by SFA last season, would no longer play the burgeoning powerhouse for “logistical reasons only.” Ostensibly, Mahar considers picking up the pieces after getting the crap beaten out of you a logistical matter.

So now SFA’s whole next season is up in the air. Maxpreps, a clearinghouse for schoolboy football information, had a full 11-game 2018 schedule listed for SFA only last week, including Florida’s perennial national powerhouse IMG. According to a source with ties to SFA football, none of those opponents—in or out of town—remain confirmed as of today.

The Sun story outlining the latest school to join the mass fleeing did not mention Poggi’s bountiful and bizarre financial backing of the SFA program he heads up, or that he now recruits nationally and even internationally—he’ll have a 6-foot-5, 285-pound defensive tackle from France on his team next year. Aggressive recruiting has been a staple of the pretty much all Catholic league’s athletic programs forever, but Poggi’s pushed things beyond anything SFA’s rivals have ever seen. As one Maryland schoolboy football source put it, something had to be done because, “Biff’s crossed an imaginary line!”

Poggi went on Baltimore radio station WBAL and discussed coming up with a plan to just schedule teams from outside his city. He didn’t accuse anybody of cowardice or racism, but politely made it clear that his hometown’s not a pleasant place for his team right now.

“We’re going to play an independent schedule this year and we’re going to continue to play an independent schedule after that, because that’s what’s best for our kids and we do appreciate the people in the league,” Poggi said, according to a Sun transcript. “I don’t fully agree with all of it. I agree with some of it.”

Wasn’t there a high end recruit from that school, maybe even living with this coach and his family?

I’m out of the loop. Where did Poggi get all this cash?
Good question. He's supposed to have has an investment firm. But he's was too young to leave all of that to go coach. I hope Art can provide some insight into this

St Joseph's Prep is tentatively scheduled to open up against St Frances in MD on the weekend of August 24-25.

Biff is an ego-maniacal ass. His wifes family is loaded. He tried to do this at Gilman but they had admission standards. St Frances started with good intentions by trying to get poor african american youth in Baltimore to come in and give them a chance, now they just want the fame

More specifically, their coach? Dude seems to be willing to break his own bank to have a national program. What are the thoughts there? He got a 6'5" DT from France? Holy sh*t.

Ugly Schoolboy Football Feud Leaves Baltimore Powerhouse With Zero Opponents For 2018
bmzyuysa4t7xuq1nl6w7.jpg

Photo: Facebook
If you can’t beat ‘em, blackball ‘em. That’s among the morals of the story of the dissolution of Baltimore’s prep football scene, which is now complete: St. Frances Academy, a historically non-athletic and financially strapped institution which is suddenly among the best football schools in the country and fiscally flush thanks to a huge cash windfall from the new head coach’s personal coffers, announced that it is pulling the squad out of the local Catholic league. The move, which came under great duress, was first reported by the Baltimore Sun.

The SFA announcement comes a day after administrators from a league rival, Archbishop Spalding High School, announced they would no longer play St. Frances. Spalding was the fifth scheduled 2018 opponent to publicly declared it was bailing on St. Frances

The East Baltimore school was founded in 1828 as the Saint Frances School for Colored Girls and originally intended for the children of slaves, and has always had a minority-heavy enrollment. Football success, and the related financial excess, is brand new, however: SFA had no football team until 2008, when the program was started with an earmarked $60,000 donation from a Baltimore schoolboy football legend named Biff Poggi. At the time of the donation, Poggi was coaching the then-dominant football team at Gilman School, an old-money, blue-blood magnet where he won league titles in 13 of his 19 years.

Poggi left Gilman after the 2015 season admitting he had a falling out with Gilman brass, a dispute which sources with ties to the school say came over his desire to turn the football program into one with national prominence. According to those sources, Poggi volunteered to use his own money to bring in outside-the-Beltway talent to Gilman in hopes of getting the added renown, but the school’s community preferred that he take his youth football fantasies and big bucks elsewhere.

St. Frances welcomed Poggi as head coach last year, and the new school let him unleash his financial faculties unfettered. Poggi was identified in a profile by the Catholic Review, a newsletter of the Baltimore Archdiocese, as a hedge fund manager. In that piece, SFA officials said Poggi personally paid for the tuition of “more than 40” football players, at around $10,000 a year, and also reported that “out of town” athletes were given room and board in rowhouses in the city’s wholly enviable Canton neighborhood. St. Frances went 13-0 and outscored opponents 534-61 while winning the Catholic league title and finishing the season ranked No. 1 in Baltimore and the state of Maryland, and No. 4 in the country according to USA Today.

Teams who found themselves on the business end of the 2017 carnage have been dropping off future SFA schedules ever since. First, Loyola Blakefield, whupped 65-0 by SFA, announced it was leaving the conference because it was no longer competitive. Other Catholic schools, who SFA had clearly put the fear of god into with similar gridiron trouncings, followed Loyola’s lead, generally citing “safety” concerns as an excuse. Last week, SFA fought back. SFA’s co-head coach Henry Russell tweeted that the Baltimore bailers were “cowards, who teach kids to run from their problems rather than face them.” Then SFA’s principal, Deacon Curtis Turner, went on Facebook to assert that everybody who’d dropped off the schedule was part of a racist conspiracy to “destroy” his school.

Their tirades didn’t curtail the fleeing, however. Spalding bailed on Wednesday, with its president, Kathleen Mahar, issuing an unintentionally hilarious statement to the Sun saying her school, which got whupped 42-7 by SFA last season, would no longer play the burgeoning powerhouse for “logistical reasons only.” Ostensibly, Mahar considers picking up the pieces after getting the crap beaten out of you a logistical matter.

So now SFA’s whole next season is up in the air. Maxpreps, a clearinghouse for schoolboy football information, had a full 11-game 2018 schedule listed for SFA only last week, including Florida’s perennial national powerhouse IMG. According to a source with ties to SFA football, none of those opponents—in or out of town—remain confirmed as of today.

The Sun story outlining the latest school to join the mass fleeing did not mention Poggi’s bountiful and bizarre financial backing of the SFA program he heads up, or that he now recruits nationally and even internationally—he’ll have a 6-foot-5, 285-pound defensive tackle from France on his team next year. Aggressive recruiting has been a staple of the pretty much all Catholic league’s athletic programs forever, but Poggi’s pushed things beyond anything SFA’s rivals have ever seen. As one Maryland schoolboy football source put it, something had to be done because, “Biff’s crossed an imaginary line!”

Poggi went on Baltimore radio station WBAL and discussed coming up with a plan to just schedule teams from outside his city. He didn’t accuse anybody of cowardice or racism, but politely made it clear that his hometown’s not a pleasant place for his team right now.

“We’re going to play an independent schedule this year and we’re going to continue to play an independent schedule after that, because that’s what’s best for our kids and we do appreciate the people in the league,” Poggi said, according to a Sun transcript. “I don’t fully agree with all of it. I agree with some of it.”

I heard something about this on the sports talk radio in Balto. but didn't really pay too much attention. The hosts made it sound like other schools won't play them because they are basically Kansas St. (think highschool JUCO's.)

Reactions: aukoz and bison13
I heard something about this on the sports talk radio in Balto. but didn't really pay too much attention. The hosts made it sound like other schools won't play them because they are basically Kansas St. (think highschool JUCO's.)
Yes he is recruiting nationally like colleges do. He wants to be IMG academy or Bishop Gorman of the east coast

Reactions: BBrown
Biff is an ego-maniacal ass. His wifes family is loaded. He tried to do this at Gilman but they had admission standards. St Frances started with good intentions by trying to get poor african american youth in Baltimore to come in and give them a chance, now they just want the fame
His wifes family? IIRC they had something to do with Lowe's or some other 'hardware' store kind of thing? Do you know?

Good question. He's supposed to have has an investment firm. But he's was too young to leave all of that to go coach. I hope Art can provide some insight into this

Ain't no there there. Money has to be coming from somewhere else.

He has 5* Chris Braswell and Demon Clowney in the 2020 class. Lee in 2019 went to Bama. Eyabi Anoma in 2018 went to Bama too.

We are in good position with Braswell and Clowney. We were in good position with Lee when he was at St. John's. I would expect St. John's to end up on their schedule.

Last edited:
He has 5* Chris Braswell and Demon Clowney in the 2020 class. Lee in 2019 went to OSU. Eyabi Anoma in 2018 went to Bama.

We are in good position with Braswell and Clowney. We were in good position with Lee when he was at St. John's. I would expect St. John's to end up on their schedule.

Thought Lee picked Bama?

Ain't no there there. Money has to be coming from somewhere else.
I was hopeful you knew where the money came from, wife family?? Iirc her family was connected to a long time public company? You know the dividend on top of dividends type of thing. And then he had some sort of investment firm to 'manage' it, but this all from memory

He has 5* Chris Braswell and Demon Clowney in the 2020 class. Lee in 2019 went to Bama. Eyabi Anoma in 2018 went to Bama too.

I hope they are good students because while St Frances in better than most Baltimore City schools, it wont exactly prepare these guys for college

I read an article, one game last year opponents got 4 concussions, STF accused of being thugs. He made big bucks as a fund Mgr., spotted money by father-in-law. I read all this, and Gilman, McDonough and others have dropped them from the schedule.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The Saint Frances president says the reason teams are dropping them from the schedule is racially motivated.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high-school/bs-va-sp-miaa-football-update-0806-story.html#

Of course they do. In Baltimore it's always racism. Its really that SFA has lower academic standards than the other MIAA schools.

The common denominator is Biff. When at Gilman, he recruited throughout the Mid atlantic, mostly Baltimore but he always had a few kids from PA/Del, etc that he paid for. Now that he is at SFA, the entrance requirements are nothing compared to Gilman so he knows he can get ANY kid in. I will give him credit that he is willing to put so much of his own $ in to the program and school, but if he wants to be a 'national' power then play a national schedule

Of course they do. In Baltimore it's always racism. Its really that SFA has lower academic standards than the other MIAA schools.

The common denominator is Biff. When at Gilman, he recruited throughout the Mid atlantic, mostly Baltimore but he always had a few kids from PA/Del, etc that he paid for. Now that he is at SFA, the entrance requirements are nothing compared to Gilman so he knows he can get ANY kid in. I will give him credit that he is willing to put so much of his own $ in to the program and school, but if he wants to be a 'national' power then play a national schedule
what I really think, academic standards aside, its okay for Gillman to do this, but not the new kid on the block.

Reactions: dicemen99
what I really think, academic standards aside, its okay for Gillman to do this, but not the new kid on the block.
Exactly. The rich prestigious Baltimore Prep schools don't like that the upstart is kicking their butts. They all do what SFA is doing to some extent (not just football)...now they are complaining that SFA is more pregnant than them.

Gilman wasn't the first to drop them though. Gilmans reason is just to piss off Biff.

I live in Baltimore and my kid played sports at one of the other private schools. I'll try to be as even as possible on my thoughts:
- All the schools recruit, some from out of state, but like a couple kids in the entire school. St. Frances has like 10 - 20 on the football team.
- McDonogh had a roster of like 35 kids playing football with no JV team. So maybe 15 kids were legit players. 3 or 4 were legit D1 players (PSU, VA tech, Nova, Penn). St. Frances sent 18 kids to D1 last year.
- St. Frances said they wanted to be a national power. They are. The MIAA schools did not want to be embarrassed each week so they dropped them. Even when Poggi was at Gilman, the games were thight. Gilman was the bets team but they lost games. St. Frances was crushing teams.
- St. Frances still plays basketball in the MIAA. Still does. No one has dropped them.
-Poggi's wife has all the money. He did well in investing but a lot of his clients are her family.
- I think he's doing a great job at St. Frances and deserves praise BUT why even play in the MIAA? He wanted to be a national power, just go and do it.

I live in Baltimore and my kid played sports at one of the other private schools. I'll try to be as even as possible on my thoughts:
- All the schools recruit, some from out of state, but like a couple kids in the entire school. St. Frances has like 10 - 20 on the football team.
- McDonogh had a roster of like 35 kids playing football with no JV team. So maybe 15 kids were legit players. 3 or 4 were legit D1 players (PSU, VA tech, Nova, Penn). St. Frances sent 18 kids to D1 last year.
- St. Frances said they wanted to be a national power. They are. The MIAA schools did not want to be embarrassed each week so they dropped them. Even when Poggi was at Gilman, the games were thight. Gilman was the bets team but they lost games. St. Frances was crushing teams.
- St. Frances still plays basketball in the MIAA. Still does. No one has dropped them.
-Poggi's wife has all the money. He did well in investing but a lot of his clients are her family.
- I think he's doing a great job at St. Frances and deserves praise BUT why even play in the MIAA? He wanted to be a national power, just go and do it.
Where's the wife's money from??

I don't disagree with what you said, however the other MIAA schools dropped SFA in June, making it very difficult to put together a football schedule for the fall, that was intentional. The better way to handle it would have been to announce that 2018 would be the last year that they would be playing SFA in football.

Based upon the level of athletes that SFA is bringing to their football program, they should play a national type schedule filled with teams that have a similar goal.

St. Joseph's Prep vs. St. Frances Academy tomorrow night at U of MD. First game for both, would like to see Prep pull the upset.

Game was stopped 3 different times because lightning and finally suspended in the 3rd qt with SFA leading 13-7. Word is they will not finish the game or make it up.

Its too bad the game wasnt played under better conditions. Will either be considered a tie or no game at all. 2021 QB Prep Kyle McCord has a PSU offer and says "PSU" is "at the top of his list". Would think 2021 Prep LB Jeremiah Trotter Jr will get a PSU offer in the next year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT