ADVERTISEMENT

fc just saw..Matt Millen in hospital, awaiting heart transplant

Well if you want to be #1 on the transplant list, you need to be near the end.

I thought that was common knowledge. It was discussed earlier this season, in THIS THREAD.
I guess I did not realize he would be in the hospital until he gets a transplant, I thought some people could function their daily lives outside of the hospital while awaiting the transplant. Sounds like a rough life to me.

He has amyloidsis, which deposited in the myocardium of his heart.
Pretty serious condition.

Hang in there Matt.
I wanted to say hello and wish Matt well. Unfortunately, Couldn't get his attention over the field noise.
IMG-20180901-151357135-HDR.jpg

IMG-20180901-153214433.jpg

I thought that was common knowledge. It was discussed earlier this season, in THIS THREAD.

Tom, do you know of any way to contact him or his family? As a double lung transplant recipient and a kidney transplant waitlist patient, I would love to offer him/his family some words of encouragement from someone who has been in a similar situation health wise.

Tom, do you know of any way to contact him or his family? As a double lung transplant recipient and a kidney transplant waitlist patient, I would love to offer him/his family some words of encouragement from someone who has been in a similar situation health wise.

I do not. My guess would be to contact BTN, or to contact PSU football, and ask if they could pass a note along.

As you probably know, most hospitals that deal with transplants have teams/groups that assist with the emotional aspects of the situation. In many cases, prior transplant recipients are key parts of these teams that talk with prospective recipients.

I am glad you got your lungs, good luck with the kidney. I was at a meeting where they told us in Texas they are scraping some of your good lung tissues, putting them into a ‘crockpot’ and growing new lungs for you. They are your lungs, no need for rejection medicine etc! Sounded interesting, maybe they can do that with kidneys.
Hoping for you

I am glad you got your lungs, good luck with the kidney. I was at a meeting where they told us in Texas they are scraping some of your good lung tissues, putting them into a ‘crockpot’ and growing new lungs for you. They are your lungs, no need for rejection medicine etc! Sounded interesting, maybe they can do that with kidneys.
Hoping for you

Thank you. I had my surgery at UPMC in 2014 and I have been following their progress in working with T-Cell technology to eliminate the need for immune suppressant meds as well. BTW, at less than 10% lung function, there wasn’t any good lung tissue to “incubate”, lol. Also, as a CF patient, I had to do both or an old lung would reinfect the new lung. Kidneys are reasonably stable right now.

Reactions: sluggo72
I give penn state credit for honoring Matt at a game this year and having him come onto the field for the coin toss. The timing was right on. We do frequently get it right, no matter what constant complainers on this board assert.

Reactions: cment
I give penn state credit for honoring Matt at a game this year and having him come onto the field for the coin toss. The timing was right on. We do frequently get it right, no matter what constant complainers on this board assert.

Don't belittle their hard work, they've earned their reputation. As far as Matt, he played his part.

4eb96fa5eab8ead14200000f-320-240.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT