ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Millen taking a leave from BTN

Hang tough Matt.

On a side note I watched the special with him and interview on his property. That looks like a spectacular piece of property he has.
I saw that as well, and agree, I think its one of the reasons he never moved when he was the GM for the Lions.

Reactions: fairgambit
His heart is working at 30% capacity and he is on the heart transplant list. Surprised he tried to broadcast this season. That has to take a toll on him.
really sorry for his situation; seems like he's handling things bravely

looked up his age -- he's 60; time flies. Best wishes, Matt.

sorry to hear, this cant be good, always loved him as a player!

Odd, when I saw that I immediately thought, "Hey, maybe this means they matched him up with a donor!"

But I have no idea how that works, anyway. Pretty sure that he would not go public with good or bad news at this point.

Odd, when I saw that I immediately thought, "Hey, maybe this means they matched him up with a donor!"

But I have no idea how that works, anyway. Pretty sure that he would not go public with good or bad news at this point.
Didn't think of that possibility. If so, that would be good news. As I recall, Governor Casey had multiple multiple organ transplant surgery from this. Don't know if, or how long that prolonged his life.

I was, and still am, a huge fan of Governor Bob (The Real Bob) Casey. He had his transplant in 1993. He got seven more years before passing away in 2000. He had some good years for a while, but he was already pretty sick before the surgery. It's a tough disease. In addition to Mayor Caliguri here in Pittsburgh, the mayor of Erie also passed away from the disease. Very unusual coincidence.

I actually sent Gov Casey a card when he was in UPMC. I mentioned that years before I dated a girl whose father was one of his teammates at Holy Cross (they were there at a bad time - between Cousy and Heinsohn). Casey sent me a reply, which I still have.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Millen as a broadcaster, but I certainly wish him all the best. I really hope they can do something for him, he looked pale and sick at the App State game.

The problem with amyloidosis is that it is a chronic infiltrating disease that affects other organs besides the heart including the kidneys. Even with a heart transplant, the disease will ultimately be fatal and that is the sad part.

If I become the optimist around here, we are all in a world of hurt..
wg12tels2xv01.gif

Reactions: bytir and demlion
The actor Michael York is another famous sufferer of this condition. He has been something of a public spokesman.

from profootballtalk.com....
Longtime NFL linebacker and former Lions General Manager Matt Millen has taken a leave of absence from his television duties.

According to Michael Rothstein of ESPN.com, Millen announced that he was stepping away from his job with the Big Ten Network, so he can focus his attention on his treatement for amyloidosis — a rare illness which could require a heart transplant.

Millen has been serving as a color analyst for college games this season, and did preseason radio for the Raiders.

“We will certainly miss seeing Matt this fall, but his health is the clear priority for everyone involved,” Big Ten Network senior vice president Mark Hulsey said in a statement. “And we plan to support him in any way possible.”

Millen went public with his diagnosis in the spring, but nothing about his recent work of suggested any issue, as he was as engaging and insightful as he has always been.

We wish Millen the best as he prioritizes his health at this time.

His heart is working at 30% capacity and he is on the heart transplant list. Surprised he tried to broadcast this season. That has to take a toll on him.
Really jealous of his woodworking tools.Looked like a well organized setup exactly the opposite of my stuff.Wish him only the best.Get well Matt

Reactions: sluggo72
Millen is truly one of the good guys and a great representative of Penn State.

Class all the way.

God speed Matt! You are gonna beat this, you got those big boy pants! I am praying for you.

Not to make light of something very serious, BUT.......
He must be “one hurtin’ buckaroo”!
I’ll see my myself out!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like a terrible disease, though I admittedly don't know much about it. Best wishes to Matt and his family, I'm sure he'll give it a hell of a fight.

Most cardiologists don't know much about it either. It took a trip to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville to find one that finally got the correct diagnosis.

Most cardiologists don't know much about it either. It took a trip to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville to find one that finally got the correct diagnosis.
My father in law has amaloidosis as well and has been to VA hospitals, Penn medical in Philly, and even the Mayo Clinic. He has the type where medicine will theoretically stop the progression but he won’t get his function back. They are trialing new meds that they hope will allow patients to regain some function back.

ADVERTISEMENT