ADVERTISEMENT

FC: CSS Failure To Report charge thrown out by judge

I am an attorney but not a litigator and not licensed in Pennsylvania, so maybe there is a Pennsylvania litigator on this Board who can answer this question: Why is the Failure to Report charge being tossed out as being barred by the statute of limitations? In civil matters, at least, the filing of a lawsuit before expiration of the limitations period ends all discussion regarding the statute of limitations as a defense. The criminal prosecution of these three defendants was commenced long ago.

In civil cases, there is typically a separate statute providing for either discretionary or mandatory dismissal of the plaintiff's case if the plaintiff fails to bring it to trial within a specified period. But we are talking about criminal cases here. Criminal defendants have a Sixth Amendment right to a speedy trial, which normally requires an even more expeditious prosecution of a criminal case. In this case, however, each of the defendants waived his speedy trial rights, hoping to get these various charges whittled down or dismissed prior to proceeding to trial. That has largely happened. So charges can't be dismissed due to a violation of any defendant's speedy trial rights.

I just don't understand how the statute of limitations could be relevant at this point, given that this prosecution was commenced long ago.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Doesn't child endangerment usually refer to a specific, known child or children, in an ongoing known situation they have direct responsibility over?

Do we hope for the remaining charges to be dropped? Or do we hope this goes to trial and that a lot of the crap that's been clogging the pipes for 5 years gets plunged out?

I am an attorney but not a litigator and not licensed in Pennsylvania, so maybe there is a Pennsylvania litigator on this Board who can answer this question: Why is the Failure to Report charge being tossed out as being barred by the statute of limitations? In civil matters, at least, the filing of a lawsuit before expiration of the limitations period ends all discussion regarding the statute of limitations as a defense. The criminal prosecution of these three defendants was commenced long ago.

In civil cases, there is typically a separate statute providing for either discretionary or mandatory dismissal of the plaintiff's case if the plaintiff fails to bring it to trial within a specified period. But we are talking about criminal cases here. Criminal defendants have a Sixth Amendment right to a speedy trial, which normally requires an even more expeditious prosecution of a criminal case. In this case, however, each of the defendants waived his speedy trial rights, hoping to get these various charges whittled down or dismissed prior to proceeding to trial. That has largely happened. So charges can't be dismissed due to a violation of any defendant's speedy trial rights.

I just don't understand how the statute of limitations could be relevant at this point, given that this prosecution was commenced long ago.

I haven't read the full appeal (packing to go out of town) . . .

but one thing people ALWAYS FAIL to acknowledge is the nature of the "failure to report" charges

the 2001 incident WAS outside the SOL. so the OAG made this time travel argument that the law was changed in 2007, so C/S/S had to comply with the law THEN, therefore the state could charge them with FTR

Charges were filed in 2011, correct? So that's after the SOL for events in 2001 and certainly outside of the events of 1998. I believe the state was arguing that this was an ongoing offense, i.e. the offense didn't just occur in 2001 it occurred every day that they didn't report it. Which is absurd.

So my opinion (IANAL), is that the SOL always precluded these charges from sticking and frankly, I don't see why they don't apply to the other charges as well.

Reactions: WeR0206

The SOL for the "failure to report" was a laughable situation from the start.
The FTR was all based on the 2001 situation - - - - which was already past the SOL on the initial filing
The AG made the (insanely ridiculous) argument that the failure to report was an "ongoing act" - since they "failed to report" the 2001 incident , and continued to FTR every day since ......... :). Doesn't take a legal scholar to LOL at that (and yet it took 5 years to toss it)

The EWC IS being pursued, as best I can tell, as a "ongoing act".......beginning in 2001 (or before - well have to see what if any evidence is presented if things go to trial) and the EWC continued on .........basically, a "conspiracy" to EWC
That is a 1000 X more reasonable argument than the one wrt FTR, but still a tough hurdle to overcome, I would think

I haven't read the full appeal (packing to go out of town) . . .

but one thing people ALWAYS FAIL to acknowledge is the nature of the "failure to report" charges

the 2001 incident WAS outside the SOL. so the OAG made this time travel argument that the law was changed in 2007, so C/S/S had to comply with the law THEN, therefore the state could charge them with FTR

Thanks for posting TenerHall. So if I understand you correctly, the statute of limitations for Failure to Report had already run out in 2007, at which point the Pennsylvania legislature modified the statute which prescribed that statute of llmitations, presumably to either extend the limitations period or state that the statute does not start to run until the criminal offense is discovered (rather than committed)? If so, I can understand why the court ruled here as it did. That would seem like a no brainer.

Edit: I just read Barry's post. A new FTR offense every day, as an "ongoing violation." That is just laughable. BTW, it also seems laughable with respect to the endangering the welfare of a child charges. Whose welfare are they now endangering, and where are the more current incidents to substantiate that continuing endangerment? Mind boggling.

Last edited:
Doesn't child endangerment usually refer to a specific, known child or children, in an ongoing known situation they have direct responsibility over?

Do we hope for the remaining charges to be dropped? Or do we hope this goes to trial and that a lot of the crap that's been clogging the pipes for 5 years gets plunged out?

That is my question too.. child endangerment to what child? They were made aware of something with regard to a possible Second Mile child and reported it to the Second Mile. No child was ever identified though. The alleged victim from that period has come forward and said nothing occurred that night.

I guess I want it to go to trial because they will have to answer specific questions about what they were told by MM and Joe and what they did in response. We'll possibly get some context to some of those emails that Freeh based his assumptions on. I still think the rest of the charges get dropped because there's so little to them. What kind of jury are they going to find that can be neutral?

Reactions: Ski and bjf1991
So the victory here is on the basis of the SOL, as opposed to, for example, not being mandated reporters, which the court was able to avoid ruling on by denying as moot. The media will spin this not as vindication, but rather prevailing on a technicality.
Any victory for any of the PSU admins is going to be spun as a technicality, no matter the reason. PSU will forever be guilty in the eyes of the media and the public, no matter what the outcome turns out to be at this point. The bell was rung a long time ago and can't be unrung.

Reactions: PSUPALY
That would seem like a no brainer.

And yet.......five - - - years - - - later - - - :)

Now - you wanna' get really righteous???
If I analyze this correctly:

1 - The FTR stuff - largely based on the entire MM / CS conversations, is tossed

2 - The Grand Jury based "perjury" allegations are dead (or on life support, i'd have to check to be sure,,,,,, JimmyW??? )

On other words;

EVERYTHING that tied the case to "Penn State Football".......if I'm reading this right....... Is now DEAD

All that is left is the EWC for CSS, which, again - if I'm reading it right, will have to be pursued as if the "charge" is that CSS exhibited a pattern of somehow "facilitating JS's actions" - and thereby "endangering children", from 2001 to some point in the future

Now - even if that is all PROVEN (i.e. Guilty verdicts are reached) ........ NONE of that can even be tangentially considered a "Penn State Football" issue

And yet - look at all the destruction, the lives charred, look at what MM went through, look at what JVP went through, look at what EVERY PENN STATER had to deal with, look at the HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS squandered - gone - burned at an altar of "f$cked up".......
For shit that ain't even being prosecuted

How's that grab ya'?

Last edited:

If I understand it correctly, the argument (and they cited precedent) was that there was a continuous effort to conceal the 2001 incident. They not only charged with endangerment and corruption of minors, but with conspiracy to commit both.

As Nixon supposedly said in the Hiss case, "It's not the crime, it's the coverup." He should have heeded his own warning about 25 years later.

If I understand it correctly, the argument (and they cited precedent) was that there was a continuous effort to conceal the 2001 incident. They not only charged with endangerment and corruption of minors, but with conspiracy to commit both.

As Nixon supposedly said in the Hiss case, "It's not the crime, it's the coverup." He should have heeded his own warning about 25 years later.

B-U-L-L-S-H-H-I-T

Thanks for posting TenerHall. So if I understand you correctly, the statute of limitations for Failure to Report had already run out in 2007, at which point the Pennsylvania legislature modified the statute which prescribed that statute of llmitations, presumably to either extend the limitations period or state that the statute does not start to run until the criminal offense is discovered (rather than committed)? If so, I can understand why the court ruled here as it did. That would seem like a no brainer.

kind of.

remember the OAG first tried to put this incident in 2002

once it was established to have occurred in Feb 2001, it was outside the SOL.

THEN they argued . . . the law changed in 2007, so they are literally being charged for FTR in 2007 for an incident from 2001, even as the OAG also acknowledged in its amended filing that they were not required to have reported ANYTHING in 2001.

The OAG said, when the law changed in 2007, C/S/S SHOULD have known to report what happened in 2001.

friggin mind bending, eh?

It is, but I don't see how the state has a case here either. The text of the statute is below, but I think it is clear that they cannot be prosecuted under part 1 (i.e. they were not supervising the welfare of a child), so the OAG must be trying to say that they "prevented or interfered with the making of a report of suspected child abuse." I think this can be answered in one question under oath (which we already know the answer to):

"Mike McQueary, at any time did C/S/S tell you not to report what you saw in the shower to the police or use any other language that made you believe they were telling you not to make a report?"

PSU2UNC: I think you are correct on this, but am wondering if perhaps the prosecution's argument is that C/S/S were providing "education and training" to kids/victims who were on campus for these events, and were therefore "persons supervising the welfare of a child" within the meaning of Section 4304(a)(3). I think that's quite a stretch if all PSU did was make facilities available and third parties (e.g., TSM) actually operated these events.

PSU2UNC: I think you are correct on this, but am wondering if perhaps the prosecution's argument is that C/S/S were providing "education and training" to kids/victims who were on campus for these events, and were therefore "persons supervising the welfare of a child" within the meaning of Section 4304(a)(3). I think that's quite a stretch if all PSU did was make facilities available and third parties (e.g., TSM) actually operated these events.

It is very possible that is their argument, but that is a HUGE stretch and will fall apart as soon as it becomes clear that this was a TSM program, not a PSU program.

So in summary, Judge Boccabella is presiding over this trial, just as Ira instructed him....enough DENIALS such that the spotlight stays off Lubert , PSU and the 2nd Mile.

They have nothing that can prove that, and they know it. They are going to look stupid trying this case, and they know that, too.

Reactions: Ski and dshumbero
They have nothing that can prove that, and they know it. They are going to look stupid trying this case, and they know that, too.

They are the ones that want the case to go forward.

I think they have something that will prove it and have had it since August 2012, at the very latest.

What did they do to conceal the 2001 incident?

I think they have something that will prove it and have had it since August 2012, at the very latest.

It would not be politically nor publicly popular to allow this case to go away. They are doing everything they can to NOT drop the charges because they would catch heck for dropping them.

That doesn't mean they think they can win.

That is my question too.. child endangerment to what child? They were made aware of something with regard to a possible Second Mile child and reported it to the Second Mile. No child was ever identified though. The alleged victim from that period has come forward and said nothing occurred that night.

I guess I want it to go to trial because they will have to answer specific questions about what they were told by MM and Joe and what they did in response. We'll possibly get some context to some of those emails that Freeh based his assumptions on. I still think the rest of the charges get dropped because there's so little to them. What kind of jury are they going to find that can be neutral?
I could see the opening arguments of this trial being the premise of a movie. Is the person that did the screen play for "My Cousin Vinny" available? NOTE: Child abuse is..........very bad! The PA courts and the OAG are..........worse (legally speaking). Any actor recommendations to play the main characters involved?

So if I understand this correctly, about the only thing left is the malicious prosecution cases?

Reactions: WeR0206

Well we will find out when a jury is selected and trial happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT