ADVERTISEMENT

FC: “N.J. restaurants NOT reopening for indoor dining this week after ‘knucklehead’ crowds...

I'd like to think I'm on my own w/ or w/out a mask. Who exactly are you looking to for protection from a cold virus beyond your mask? Your governor?
I’m talking about everyone who wants to blame people for not wearing masks. Fit them with an N95 so they feel nice and safe.

Reactions: MtNittany
This was already covered. At this point, I have to assume you're just acting stupid to get a rise out of someone so that you'll have someone to talk to.

In states that are mandating social distancing, and the wearing of masks in "public" situations in which 6' of distance cannot be maintained, you wear masks in situations in which 6' of distance cannot be maintained. Shocker! So, what do restaurants do, in that situation? Shockingly, they seat people 6' apart. Yes, that is happening. Obviously, if you walk in with a group of 4, they seat you together ... but you're 6' apart from the other patrons who are not in your party. The people who bus your table, and wait on you ... who get within 6' of you? They wear masks. So, when you're sitting at your table, 6' away from the next seated table, and you're eating ... you're not wearing masks! Shocker! Because, again, the guidelines don't require it!

Why are you having so much trouble understanding this? Is it because you just want to be outraged, but you know that if you actually bother to understand the situation, you can't be, so you're willing to play stupid just to maintain the outrage? Or do you really not get how the interplay of 6' of social distancing and mask-wearing work? Like, if you get within 5 feet of someone, your brain will scramble and you'll panic, not knowing what to do? And then if you walk 2 feet away from them, you'll just spontaneously combust from the pressure of trying to figure out what happens next?

Help me help you.
Get out in the world and see what’s happening....your 6 feet away ain’t happening everywhere, as much as you want it to be. But you keep pushing it. And I have plenty to talk to without wasting my time with a snowflake like you....off to ignore with you.

I have heard people say that the reason South Korea has escaped the epidemic virtually unscathed was because of habitual, comprehensive mask-wearing. How does what you have outlined above align with this? Or is South Korean success attributable to other reasons?

Magic?

106508220_1228881510777565_6066577969856075215_n.jpg

Reactions: glidresquirrel
Get out in the world and see what’s happening....your 6 feet away ain’t happening everywhere, as much as you want it to be. But you keep pushing it. And I have plenty to talk to without wasting my time with a snowflake like you....off to ignore with you.

Of course it’s not happening everywhere! We’re in a thread discussing idiots who weren’t maintaining social distancing, and weren’t wearing masks and, they contributed to a state pausing its reopening. Not only that, but some states are at different points in their reopening strategy. Oy.

Reactions: Sproul
About masks....

So Masks?
I am OSHA 10 certified. I know some of you are too. I don’t really know WHY OSHA hasn’t come forward and stopped the nonsense BUT I want to cover 3 things
• N95 masks and masks with exhale ports
• surgical masks
• filter or cloth masks

Okay, so upon further inspection, OSHA says some masks are okay and not okay in certain situations.
If you’re working with fumes and aerosol chemicals and you give your employees the wrong masks and they get sick, you can be sued.

• N95 masks: are designed for CONTAMINATED environments. That means when you exhale through N95 the design is that you are exhaling into contamination. The exhale from N95 masks are vented to breath straight out without filtration. They don’t filter the air on the way out. They don’t need to.
Conclusion: if you’re in Target and the guy with Covid has a N95 mask, his covid breath is unfiltered being exhaled into Target (because it was designed for already contaminated environments, it’s not filtering your air on the way out).

• Surgical Mask: these masks were designed and approved for STERILE environments. The amount of particles and contaminants in the outside and indoor environments where people are CLOGGING these masks very, VERY quickly. The moisture from your breath combined with the clogged mask will render it “useless” IF you come in contact with Covid and your mask traps it, YOU become a walking virus dispenser. Everytime you put your mask on you are breathing the germs from EVERYWHERE you went. They should be changed or thrown out every “20-30 minutes in a non sterile environment.”

• Cloth masks: I can’t even believe I’m having to explain this, but here it goes. Today, three people pointed to their masks as they walked by me entering Lowe’s. They said “ya gotta wear your mask BRO” I said very clearly “those masks don’t work bro, in fact they MAKE you sicker” they “pshh’d” me. By now hopefully you all know CLOTH masks do not filter anything. You mean the American flag one my aunt made? Yes. The one with sunflowers that looks so cute? Yes. The bandanna, the cut up t-shirt, the scarf ALL of them offer NO FILTERING whatsoever. As you exhale, you are ridding your lungs of contaminants and carbon dioxide. Cloth masks trap this carbon dioxide the best. It actually risks your health, rather than protect it. The moisture caught in these masks can become mildew ridden over night. Dry coughing, enhanced allergies, sore throat are all symptoms of a micro-mold in your mask.

-Ultimate Answer:

*N95 blows the virus into the air from a contaminated person.

*The surgical mask is not designed for the outside world and will not filter the virus upon inhaling through it. It’s filtration works on the exhale, (Like a vacuum bag, it only works one way) but likely stops after 20 minutes, rendering it useless outside of a STERILE ENVIRONMENT (correct Becky, they don’t work in a bar, not even a little bit).

*Cloth masks are WORSE than none. It’s equivalent to using a chain link fence to stop mosquitos.

The CDC wants us to keep wearing masks. The masks don’t work. They’re being used to provide false comfort and push forward a specific agenda. For the love of God, research each mask’s designed use and purpose, I bet you will find NONE are used in the way of “viral defense.”

Just like EVERY Flu season kids, wash your hands. Sanitize your hands. Don’t touch stuff. Sanitize your phone. Don’t touch people. And keep your distance. Why? Because your breath stinks, your deodorant is failing, your shoes are old and stink, that shirts not clean, & I like my space. Trust me I can hear you from here. Lots of reasons to keep your distance and work on body hygiene. But trust me, the masks do not work.

*Occupational Safety & Hazard Association sited.
The top American organization for safety.
They regulate and educate asbestos workers, surgical rooms, you name it.

I know, facts suck. They throw a wrench into the perfectly (seeming) packaged pill you are willingly swallowing. Facts make you have to form your OWN OPINION, instead of regurgitating someone else’s, and I know how uncomfortable that makes a lot of you. If your mask gives you security, by all means wear it. Just know it is a false sense of security and you shouldn’t shame anyone into partaking in such “conspiracies.”
You going to tell us you took this right from Facebook, or do you want us to think you wrote it? Lol!!!

You going to tell us you took this right from Facebook, or do you want us to think you wrote it? Lol!!!
There is a reason why he never provides links, because he goes to the far right sh!tter to pull stuff up. Oh you're OSHA certified....well that means you can stand up scaffolding and took a 10 hour safety course. Yeah...that is who you should be listening too when it comes to medical advice. Honestly what moron sees that credential and says.....well this guy knows his shit over someone who actually studies infectious diseases. The morons saying don't wear masks are just that....morons. Yes they aren't a 100% guarantee, but the countries that do it and take it seriously are way better off than ours because they aren't listening Bob the builder for medical advice. OSHA....holy dumb f--ks all of dumb f--ks. When I used to do shipboard installations for servers on Naval ships I had to be Osha certified. I had to wear a hard hat, steel toe boots, and PPE for my eyes.....guess that makes me an expert too.

I'll ask her in the AM. She was a nurse forever, now she's more of an administrator, so I assume she was told that by someone within the PBC bureaucracy. She also said that there are sketchy labs doing testing and reporting 80-90% positive rates. Lots of questions.

Don't know about the "sketchy" part. States require labs to be licensed. Would imagine that any lab without a license isn't reporting its results to the state.

You can find it easy enough counselor. It's pretty straight language.

its right on the label. Now, the masks do provide some marginal protections IMHO. But it is kind of like ADT Security on your front door or TSA security. Its probably more about feeling safe than actually being safe. It probably also helps if you sneeze or cough, a bit. Finally, I heard one doc say that it keeps the wearer from putting their fingers in their nose (ewh) or mouth; two of the three entry portals for the virus.
415abc93-737d-45e9-abff-cce373b54f17_1140x641.jpg

Last edited:
This is an interesting counterpoint to Mt. Nittany’s mask info. If things are so straightforward, I wonder why someone with as much expertise As Dr. Tony Fauci did a total 180 on masks? Did he learn something new this far into his stellar career? Or was there other drivers at play?
When the first case of person-to-person transmission was reported in the US on January 30, the CDC said it didn’t recommend the public use of face masks. US officials were focused on securing masks for health care workers. But in the process, they made contradictory and premature statements that masks were not effective for the public.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/29/21273625/coronavirus-masks-required-virginia-china-hong-kong

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
I have many questions.
1) Why so many more positive tests (cases) and so few deaths?
2) Does a "Positive" test mean that the person:
2.1) Has the virus currently (either symptomatic or asymptomatic) and is contagious?
2.2) Had the virus at some time in the last X months and is no longer contagious?
3) Do "Positive" tests include testing for the anti-body?

These are just a few. If anyone can guide me to an authoritative source for these answers, I would appreciate it.

I didn’t see if your question was answered but I just got a COVID Test since they were free in Chester County. They DO NOT tell if you have antibodies or were exposed previously to the virus, they just detect active infections. I was negative but what I wanted was a test to see if you had been previously exposed but that is a different test. You will need to make sure you get the right one. I didn’t know until I asked when I was there. Yeah and it’s real fun when they scratch you brain with that swab. I have even more respect for health care workers who are almost continuously getting this test.

People dying in the streets?
What does an a massive amount of increase in COVID-19 have to do with people dying in the streets they just mandated at 3 o’clock today that everywhere you go now you have to have a mask on Horry and Georgetown County’s there is so many people here on vacation it’s ridiculous

My son is a beach lifeguard there right now. I actually lived there until a few years ago. Unfortunately, he transferred from PSU to Clemson. He told me beaches are packed with no distancing. Clubs and restaurants packed with no masks or restrictions. Full of people from Northeast and Midwest. He said old and young do not wear masks or stay apart. People who live there are shuttered up for fear of going anywhere. Many were trying to get them to close the bridge to protect the residents, but money seems to be more important. No one listens to reason because they're on vacation. He told me kids could care less about coronavirus. It really doesn't matter to them.
That’s what’s happening to us right now and Pawleys Island there’s so many people here from out of the area that the locals are afraid to even go out

What does an a massive amount of increase in COVID-19 have to do with people dying in the streets they just mandated at 3 o’clock today that everywhere you go now you have to have a mask on Horry and Georgetown County’s there is so many people here on vacation it’s ridiculous
So...no people dying in the streets? You said your city was on fire w/ covid. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just hyperbole because of more testing (more results). I guess it was after all.

So...no people dying in the streets? You said your city was on fire w/ covid. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just hyperbole because of more testing (more results). I guess it was after all.
I’m sure it is because of more testing I said Covid it is on fire is spreading like crazy down here no one said about anyone dying in the streets that something you made up in your head a lot of our businesses are now being forced to shut down If any of their employees get COVID-19 for 14 days

its right on the label. Now, the masks do provide some marginal protections IMHO. But it is kind of like ADT Security on your front door or TSA security. Its probably more about feeling safe than actually being safe. It probably also helps if you sneeze or cough, a bit. Finally, I heard one doc say that it keeps the wearer from putting their fingers in their nose (ewh) or mouth; two of the three entry portals for the virus.
415abc93-737d-45e9-abff-cce373b54f17_1140x641.jpg
Really hard to believe after all this time that someone with a college education is still so dim as to think that the mask is for the wearer's protection. I must have heard 100 times in 100 different ways that the purpose of the mask is to keep the WEARER from passing the disease to others.

Yes, because everyone on here when they were in their teen years into their 20’s would have stayed home out of concern for their fellow man. Give me a break.

These young 20 somethings that are gathering like this are just play stupid. I wish they wouldn’t. But I’ve said this before, I was just as stupid when I was their age. I almost surely would have been doing this and people my age (I’m 39) would have thought me to be a moron. And they would have been right.

Reactions: Ski
These young 20 somethings that are gathering like this are just play stupid. I wish they wouldn’t. But I’ve said this before, I was just as stupid when I was their age. I almost surely would have been doing this and people my age (I’m 39) would have thought me to be a moron. And they would have been right.
We all would have been doing it (except for the nerds who never went out anyhow).

Reactions: Ski
About masks....

So Masks?
I am OSHA 10 certified. I know some of you are too. I don’t really know WHY OSHA hasn’t come forward and stopped the nonsense BUT I want to cover 3 things
• N95 masks and masks with exhale ports
• surgical masks
• filter or cloth masks

Okay, so upon further inspection, OSHA says some masks are okay and not okay in certain situations.
If you’re working with fumes and aerosol chemicals and you give your employees the wrong masks and they get sick, you can be sued.

• N95 masks: are designed for CONTAMINATED environments. That means when you exhale through N95 the design is that you are exhaling into contamination. The exhale from N95 masks are vented to breath straight out without filtration. They don’t filter the air on the way out. They don’t need to.
Conclusion: if you’re in Target and the guy with Covid has a N95 mask, his covid breath is unfiltered being exhaled into Target (because it was designed for already contaminated environments, it’s not filtering your air on the way out).

• Surgical Mask: these masks were designed and approved for STERILE environments. The amount of particles and contaminants in the outside and indoor environments where people are CLOGGING these masks very, VERY quickly. The moisture from your breath combined with the clogged mask will render it “useless” IF you come in contact with Covid and your mask traps it, YOU become a walking virus dispenser. Everytime you put your mask on you are breathing the germs from EVERYWHERE you went. They should be changed or thrown out every “20-30 minutes in a non sterile environment.”

• Cloth masks: I can’t even believe I’m having to explain this, but here it goes. Today, three people pointed to their masks as they walked by me entering Lowe’s. They said “ya gotta wear your mask BRO” I said very clearly “those masks don’t work bro, in fact they MAKE you sicker” they “pshh’d” me. By now hopefully you all know CLOTH masks do not filter anything. You mean the American flag one my aunt made? Yes. The one with sunflowers that looks so cute? Yes. The bandanna, the cut up t-shirt, the scarf ALL of them offer NO FILTERING whatsoever. As you exhale, you are ridding your lungs of contaminants and carbon dioxide. Cloth masks trap this carbon dioxide the best. It actually risks your health, rather than protect it. The moisture caught in these masks can become mildew ridden over night. Dry coughing, enhanced allergies, sore throat are all symptoms of a micro-mold in your mask.

-Ultimate Answer:

*N95 blows the virus into the air from a contaminated person.

*The surgical mask is not designed for the outside world and will not filter the virus upon inhaling through it. It’s filtration works on the exhale, (Like a vacuum bag, it only works one way) but likely stops after 20 minutes, rendering it useless outside of a STERILE ENVIRONMENT (correct Becky, they don’t work in a bar, not even a little bit).

*Cloth masks are WORSE than none. It’s equivalent to using a chain link fence to stop mosquitos.

The CDC wants us to keep wearing masks. The masks don’t work. They’re being used to provide false comfort and push forward a specific agenda. For the love of God, research each mask’s designed use and purpose, I bet you will find NONE are used in the way of “viral defense.”

Just like EVERY Flu season kids, wash your hands. Sanitize your hands. Don’t touch stuff. Sanitize your phone. Don’t touch people. And keep your distance. Why? Because your breath stinks, your deodorant is failing, your shoes are old and stink, that shirts not clean, & I like my space. Trust me I can hear you from here. Lots of reasons to keep your distance and work on body hygiene. But trust me, the masks do not work.

*Occupational Safety & Hazard Association sited.
The top American organization for safety.
They regulate and educate asbestos workers, surgical rooms, you name it.

I know, facts suck. They throw a wrench into the perfectly (seeming) packaged pill you are willingly swallowing. Facts make you have to form your OWN OPINION, instead of regurgitating someone else’s, and I know how uncomfortable that makes a lot of you. If your mask gives you security, by all means wear it. Just know it is a false sense of security and you shouldn’t shame anyone into partaking in such “conspiracies.”
You lose all credibility when you say cloth mask capture carbon dioxide. If you are OSHA certified that certification should be pulled immediately. The size of the carbon dioxide molecule is 236 pm. If a cloth mask traps that as you claim wouldn’t it also capture the corona virus that is 60,000-140,000 pm? Just think about the stupidity of your claim.

You lose all credibility when you say cloth mask capture carbon dioxide. If you are OSHA certified that certification should be pulled immediately. The size of the carbon dioxide molecule is 236 pm. If a cloth mask traps that as you claim wouldn’t it also capture the corona virus that is 60,000-140,000 pm? Just think about the stupidity of your claim.
Lol. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sproul and PSU_Nut
I think of the mask issue like this: Imagine hitting a golf ball into a net designed for baseball. The net will stop some shots, slow down some shots, and let other shots go through with no loss in momentum.

Masks with exhaust valves, of course, are not designed to protect the environment (others) beyond perhaps a slight reduction in the velocity of a cough or sneeze. N95s offer some protection to the wearer, but not foolproof protection. Cloth (barrier) masks are like the golf ball analogy (both ways). Do they help? Yes. Are they foolproof? No.

So if you stand on the other side of the net you are less likely to get hit than you would be with no net. It comes down to an unknown probability, somewhere between zero and 100%.

There. It is settled.

I think of the mask issue like this: Imagine hitting a golf ball into a net designed for baseball. The net will stop some shots, slow down some shots, and let other shots go through with no loss in momentum.

Masks with exhaust valves, of course, are not designed to protect the environment (others) beyond perhaps a slight reduction in the velocity of a cough or sneeze. N95s offer some protection to the wearer, but not foolproof protection. Cloth (barrier) masks are like the golf ball analogy (both ways). Do they help? Yes. Are they foolproof? No.

So if you stand on the other side of the net you are less likely to get hit than you would be with no net. It comes down to an unknown probability, somewhere between zero and 100%.

There. It is settled.
too continue your analogy now think of the probability of that same golf ball going through not just one but two nets several feet apart with enough velocity to hurt you. The likelihood has decreased significantly and that is why it important that everyone wears a mask.

Reading this thread gives me great concern about the Dunning-Kruger pandemic that is raging unacknowledged across certain segments of society. If only there were a vaccination and a cure . . .

There. It is settled.

If one person gets hit with a golf ball then we need to tear down all the nets since it is obviously completely useless and interferes with the freedom of people who are hitting golf balls.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I’m sure it is because of more testing I said Covid it is on fire is spreading like crazy down here no one said about anyone dying in the streets that something you made up in your head a lot of our businesses are now being forced to shut down If any of their employees get COVID-19 for 14 days

It will spread. Just like in NYC. At the end the result will be the same. Few deaths outside of some very unhealthy people.

The media will latch onto the very nick cordero stories... turns out he didnt even have it when he went to the hospital... but in the end unless the governor pulls a cuomo things will be fine.

Everyone will get it. Cannot stop it. Most will never even kmow

LdN

If one person gets hit with a golf ball then we need to tear down all the nets since it is obviously completely useless and interferes with the freedom of people who are hitting golf balls.
Yep, the folks still arguing against mask wearing should basically say...I'm entitled, selfish, and I don't give 2 sh!ts about other people....because that is what they are basically saying without words. I'm not talking about folks jogging on their own or walking in parks, but the idiots in stores or closed in areas who just talk about their freedoms being stripped....as they drive away and buckle their seat belts. Seat belts don't save lives 100% of the time either, but it's still the law. This is hopefully a temporary inconvenience and some act like they are being dragged out to give blood or something.

Reactions: demlion
I hope the anti-mask crowd asks surgeons to remove their masks and gloves when operating.
I wear a mask when required but your analogy is stupid - I fear the masks give people a false sense of security - there have been some pretty knowledgeable people here that have explained it in detail and if you work in IH (Industrial Hygiene) you would know the limitations - better than nothing but not much.

It will spread. Just like in NYC. At the end the result will be the same. Few deaths outside of some very unhealthy people.

The media will latch onto the very nick cordero stories... turns out he didnt even have it when he went to the hospital... but in the end unless the governor pulls a cuomo things will be fine.

Everyone will get it. Cannot stop it. Most will never even kmow

LdN
I think the narrative that COVID is almost entirely a disease of the old is dishonest. Certainly, older persons are at higher risk of serious illness and death. But if you look at the numbers in the US where cases are growing the fastest, the people needing hospitalization are getting significantly younger. In AZ, the largest age group of hospitalizations now is 25 - 44. FL and TX are showing similar treads in patients requiring hospital care.
Asymptomatic infection is probably around 40% from the best available data right now. But even asymptomatic individuals have been shown to sometimes develop sequelae from these infections.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT