• Reuben

Votes: 23 15.5%

• Total voters
Hoagie

it’s the appropriate term.
from Luigi's in Emporium PA!
35164771_2005942779720778_3616622257213800448_n.jpg

Reactions: Hotshoe and BrucePa
Philly cheesesteak, just the meat, wit, and lots of fried onions (peppers are permissible) on a fresh hoagie roll. Mushrooms and sauce need not apply for me.

Reactions: CVLion and BrucePa
Well I just ate half a large Italian hoagie for lunch. Capacola, Genoa salami, provolone, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, oregano, oil and vinegar, on a good Italian roll.

But my choice which I don’t see listed is a corned beef special - corned beef with coleslaw and Russian dressing on fresh hard crusted rye bread.

The key to any great sandwich is the bread. If it looks like white bread (or rolls), unless you’re doing a PP&J, it belongs in the bin. It’s amazing what restaurants around the country try to pass off as a Philly Cheesesteak. Some even have the nerve to use mayo and cheddar cheese. They are clueless.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrucePa
Kind of depends on what you mean by favorite. Are we talking "if I had to eat the same sandwich every day for the rest of my life what would I pick" (cheesesteak) or "If I never got to eat this sandwich again, I'd be the most sad" (reuben) or "What sandwich do I get the most excited about?" (Muffuletta because I would only order that in New Orleans, which means I am in New Orleans, which is pretty exciting. As an aside, not even close to the best sandwich in New Orleans, but very strong)

Well I just ate half a large Italian hoagie for lunch. Capacola, Genoa salami, provolone, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, oregano, oil and vinegar, on a good Italian roll.

But my choice which I don’t see listed is a corned beef special - corned beef with coleslaw and Russian dressing on fresh hard crusted rye bread.

Sounds a lot like a Reuben without the kraut.

Kind of depends on what you mean by favorite. Are we talking "if I had to eat the same sandwich every day for the rest of my life what would I pick" (cheesesteak) or "If I never got to eat this sandwich again, I'd be the most sad" (reuben) or "What sandwich do I get the most excited about?" (Muffuletta because I would only order that in New Orleans, which means I am in New Orleans, which is pretty exciting. As an aside, not even close to the best sandwich in New Orleans, but very strong)
I just (today) ate a muffuletta from Central Grocery in New Orleans, thanks to Goldbelly mail order.

I just (today) ate a muffuletta from Central Grocery in New Orleans, thanks to Goldbelly mail order.
Central Grocery is definitely the only spot I would get one.

I honestly think that, in terms of traditional sandwiches, po boys from Parkway are better than muffuletta from Central (I'm partial to the oyster, but roast beef is very strong as well). In terms of best sandwich in New Orleans (not necessarily traditional) is usually on the menu at Cochon Butcher.

Central Grocery is definitely the only spot I would get one.

I honestly think that, in terms of traditional sandwiches, po boys from Parkway are better than muffuletta from Central (I'm partial to the oyster, but roast beef is very strong as well). In terms of best sandwich in New Orleans (not necessarily traditional) is usually on the menu at Cochon Butcher.
I love me a good Po' Boy, but I ran out of room for choices in the poll. I would have included a Po' Boy, Greek gyro, and French Croque Monsieur, at least.

Reactions: PSJimbo and PSU2UNC

The key to any great sandwich is the bread. If it looks like white bread (or rolls), unless you’re doing a PP&J, it belongs in the bin. It’s amazing what restaurants around the country try to pass off as a Philly Cheesesteak. Some even have the nerve to use mayo and cheddar cheese. They are clueless.

Sitting here self quarantining with my wife, I posed the question to her. Her favorite is a whitefish salad with lettuce and tomato on rye (from Fitzpatricks Deli in Somers Point NJ).

Last edited:
Yes, but it has only very recently become commonly accepted that the most important component of a sandwich is the bread or roll used. As such, those previous threads are outdated and useless. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT