ADVERTISEMENT

Facundo jobbed at Michigan team state finals

Here is the other thing to consider. The trainer takes it out of the coaches hand in that the match, because he said the match cannot continue. Now you have to decide. Take the 6 points or give the 6 points to the other team? Seems like a pretty crappy decision to have to make. Either way, the match is not going to continue.
Maybe the trainer takes it out of the coaches' hand. Watch the Central Dauphin vs. Cumberland Valley video above -- the trainer followed orders in that match.

Shades of the infamous 2016 Cumberland Valley vs. Central Dauphin dual.

CD wrestler got DQ win for an illegal slam -- which was an illegal slam (trapped arm) -- but CD sure looked like he could continue.

Then later, CV wrestler won by DQ for an eye poke. Match stopped for head slap, CV wrestler looked OK and was going to re-start until his coach ordered him to get checked by the trainer. DQ won the dual for CV. CV coach danced to taunt the CD bench while his guy was being checked by the trainer. CD coaches had to be restrained.

El Jefe, do you you recall if the CV coach was disciplined after this match? That was a disgraceful lack of sportsmanship.

Here is the other thing to consider. The trainer takes it out of the coaches hand in that the match, because he said the match cannot continue. Now you have to decide. Take the 6 points or give the 6 points to the other team? Seems like a pretty crappy decision to have to make. Either way, the match is not going to continue.

Did I miss something in the video? What trainer? All I saw was the coach talking to the kid.

Reactions: hlstone
Did I miss something in the video? What trainer? All I saw was the coach talking to the kid.

Yeah is there video of the trainer interaction (if any)? It does appear as if the coach says something to the kid right after the ref steps away and that’s when the kid kneels down.

Here’s the MILive.com description of the end of the match. Looks like there was some involvement by the medical staff, but none of the videos I’ve seen show it.

“After Rojas got to his feet and headed back to the middle of the mat, Catholic Central head coach Mitch Hancock hopped up on the platform to check on the well-being of his wrestler.

”Doctors evaluated Rojas for a concussion and determined he wasn't healthy enough to continue ...”

Here’s the MILive.com description of the end of the match. Looks like there was some involvement by the medical staff, but none of the videos I’ve seen show it.

“After Rojas got to his feet and headed back to the middle of the mat, Catholic Central head coach Mitch Hancock hopped up on the platform to check on the well-being of his wrestler.

”Doctors evaluated Rojas for a concussion and determined he wasn't healthy enough to continue ...”
So the individual state championships are next weekend. I'd suspect there is no way Rojas can compete because a week is way to soon to return after a concussion right??

So the individual state championships are next weekend. I'd suspect there is no way Rojas can compete because a week is way to soon to return after a concussion right??
Yes he could if he passes the IMPACT test or whatever test his school is using. There is no timeline on a concussion.

However this is a bit of a shame that the video ends, because up until the end there is no evidence of evaluation by anyone and the coach certainly wasn’t performing one.

This has little to do with the call and the ref. If wrong then it’s really ridiculous to have a kid out on something that wasn’t....a slam. If it’s correct, it’s pretty weird to have a kid appear 100% ready to go and only drop to his knee after the ref got out of earshot of the coach who uttered something.

Yes he could if he passes the IMPACT test or whatever test his school is using. There is no timeline on a concussion.

However this is a bit of a shame that the video ends, because up until the end there is no evidence of evaluation by anyone and the coach certainly wasn’t performing one.

This has little to do with the call and the ref. If wrong then it’s really ridiculous to have a kid out on something that wasn’t....a slam. If it’s correct, it’s pretty weird to have a kid appear 100% ready to go and only drop to his knee after the ref got out of earshot of the coach who uttered something.

more from the coaches

and a different angle on the slam and the call looks reasonable. Unfortunately it is edited to not see the evaluation

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
more from the coaches

and a different angle on the slam and the call looks reasonable. Unfortunately it is edited to not see the evaluation

You can make the argument, having seen the other angle, that Roja's was defenseless when Facundo returned him, but that's on Roja's for not protecting himself once he left his feet. I don't agree with the penalty, but can see how the ref made that snap judgment.

Heaven only knows who said what to whom. It would be good if anything improper comes out, and folks held accountable if there was any impropriety

Unfortunately, all sports have fans/coaches/ parents/athletes that are less-than-principaled.

You can make the argument, having seen the other angle, that Roja's was defenseless when Facundo returned him, but that's on Roja's for not protecting himself once he left his feet. I don't agree with the penalty, but can see how the ref made that snap judgment.

It’s still the responsibility of the top wrestler to return him safely. That’s basically what happened in that match where the dad tackled the kid - it wouldn’t have been so bad if the kid didn’t reach back in the middle of getting lifted. Obviously this one wasn’t as bad but I can see why it was called that way.

Bottom line, blaming the ref is deflecting from the real culprit - the coach. At worst the ref cost him a point. The coach cost him the match (assuming it was the coach and not actually the trainer that made the call).

It seems Facundo hit his own head to the mat harder than the other kid’s head hit the mat. Maybe he should’ve been penalized for a slam against himself, and then the penalties offset? :)

I saw that too,so how can the return be considered “ controlled” (or however it is stated in the rules) when you bounce your own damn head off the mat?

Reactions: Dogwelder
So, if the wrestler was indeed unable to continue and the ref had called it a clean takedown, Davison gets 6. Twelve point swing!

Of course no one really thinks that there would have been an “injury” had the slam not been called.

So, if the wrestler was indeed unable to continue and the ref had called it a clean takedown, Davison gets 6. Twelve point swing!

Of course no one really thinks that there would have been an “injury” had the slam not been called.
9 point in any event. The ref did not insert himself into this match. It could have not been called, but really....it’s pretty close to the definition. But so what. The injury was peculiar when it didn’t look like he had one as he went back to the center clearly steady and ready.

more from the coaches

I can understand the slam call. It wasn't egregious, but the ref could argue his position fairly well.
What I'm missing is the medical evaluation. Was that the coach talking to him in the corner or was it the medical staff? If that is the coach, and the film isn't edited. The coach is lying in his interview.
If I was the school administration, I would have that kid in my office being interviewed Monday morning. I'd ask him step by step what was done and what was said by all parties.

I can understand the slam call. It wasn't egregious, but the ref could argue his position fairly well.
What I'm missing is the medical evaluation. Was that the coach talking to him in the corner or was it the medical staff? If that is the coach, and the film isn't edited. The coach is lying in his interview.
If I was the school administration, I would have that kid in my office being interviewed Monday morning. I'd ask him step by step what was done and what was said by all parties.

As Kevin Dresser would say, he was just “gaming the system within the rules.”

The coach seemed sincere, and what was he referring to about another kid getting slammed? In the same dual?

I didn't notice a medical evaluation taking place on the videos that were shared, but in the DCC/Davidson coach interview video linked above from MLive, coach Hancock made it very clear he "had no decision in any of that" and that "a doctor evaluated him and made the call". I'm inclined to take the coach at his word here.

I didn't notice a medical evaluation taking place on the videos that were shared, but in the DCC/Davidson coach interview video linked above from MLive, coach Hancock made it very clear he "had no decision in any of that" and that "a doctor evaluated him and made the call". I'm inclined to take the coach at his word here.
There must be more video than what was originally posted at the beginning of the thread. It would be interesting to see, but it is what it is.
Hopefully Rojas doesn't go to Iowa. If that happens this story will live forever.

I’m not sure I am. Was the doctor watching the match? Shouldn’t it have been his idea to evaluate him and not the coach running on the mat when the kid is already back on the line? Someone on themat forum just claimed that during the live feed that the doctor could be heard saying “it’s your call.” Hopefully more video comes out.

It seems Facundo hit his own head to the mat harder than the other kid’s head hit the mat. Maybe he should’ve been penalized for a slam against himself, and then the penalties offset? :)
I saw the same thing as Dogwelder in this video clip. Also noteworthy that when Rojas hustles back to center the ref approaches him and appears to ask if he's ok and Rojas appears to say yes without hesitation.

I have not seen any of the videos, but, just because the athlete thinks he is ok doesn't mean he is. Many of us know athletes that went right back in after a concussion only to realize later that is was a bad idea. The question, really, is whether or not the athlete was concussed, and that requires a specific evaluation protocol. Based on all the discussions, it would appear that the eval, if any, was a brief matside how are you doing and not an actual concussion protocol test which would take at least a few minutes even for the briefest one.
Makes you wonder what the actual injury was, if anything.

Question... say the match would have continued,but with Rojas in clear pain, could the DQ from the slam take place later in the match or does the call have to be made right then?

Nobody talking about Facundo being underneath a guy that outweighs him by 20 pounds, but still having the strength to pull that leg in and double him off? Must be one strong kid.
Thats actually the first thing I noticed,and I dint even realize he was wrestling up, damn thats some man strength right there.
It wasn’t the case of Facundo wrestling up against a full size 189 lbs guy. Rojas the guy Facundo slammed has went 171 pretty much all year and both weighed in for the day at 171. Going 189 here because Davison won the flip and this is the matchup they wanted and got. Rojas going 189 for the state series because he’s getting away from Facundo to have a better shot at a state title.

As Kevin Dresser would say, he was just “gaming the system within the rules.”
“Joey, have you ever seen an orange call a leprechaun an orange?”

e025979373dc66e33bbc8e3a2ddb78ec.jpg

Reactions: danoftw
...I don’t remember the specific situation- college or high school - but I remember a similar occurrence where the wrestler was determined to be unable to continue...
... his coach told the referee and the opposing coach that his wrestler would return to wrestle and that the official should stop the bout after one second and he would forfeit to the other wrestler...
...a rare occasion of good sportsmanship... :)

It looked to me like Facundo brought him back to the mat safely and under control. Don't understand the call at all.

It looked to me like he tried to jump,(and actually did get one foot off the mat) to get even more force into it.
Would he have bounced his own head off the mat had he been in control?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT