ADVERTISEMENT

Facundo jobbed at Michigan team state finals

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
DQ for "illegal slam" on a normal double finish. Plus the opponent returned to the center before Facundo did.

Reactions: danoftw
Contrast with Nahshon Garrett who lent his opponent a singlet instead of hoping his opponent would be unable find another singlet in time and would have to forfeit. SMH. The opponents’s coach should find a new career other than teaching young people.

Craziness...There continues to be a point of emphasis with the rules (nfhs) pushing referees throughout the country with mat returns with a "trapped arm" but that's not even in the same context.

Reactions: Dogwelder
It will be interesting to see if young Mr Rojas shows up on a D1 team in the future.
Only a question of which one -- Rojas is one of the better 2022 national recruits. I've seen him ranked top 20 in the class.

tenor.gif

What a freaking joke! His opponent and his opponents coach should be ashamed! Did Facundo's team win?
Facundo's team lost 34-23.

It's possible that the call decided the team title -- but unlikely because Facundo bumped from 171 up to 189. (Michigan doesn't follow the same weight classes as the rest of the country.) He would've had to tech Rojas to tie the match.

Ref made the call so be it. In the moment it happens. Once call is made in the moment cant take it back.

The kid does what his coach tells him to do.

It's on the coach for me.
I’m going to show my kids that video and ask them what they think about not obeying the coach in that situation. Just saying no. I’m going to tell them I hope they would just not obey the coach. Just force the freaking coach to drag them off the mat in front of everyone.

Shades of the infamous 2016 Cumberland Valley vs. Central Dauphin dual.

CD wrestler got DQ win for an illegal slam -- which was an illegal slam (trapped arm) -- but CD sure looked like he could continue.

Then later, CV wrestler won by DQ for an eye poke. Match stopped for head slap, CV wrestler looked OK and was going to re-start until his coach ordered him to get checked by the trainer. DQ won the dual for CV. CV coach danced to taunt the CD bench while his guy was being checked by the trainer. CD coaches had to be restrained.

I think the slam is a fine call. Facundo lifts him and throws him straight down, with no protection. Not the world's worst slam, but a valid call. However, it's pretty clear he wasn't hurt and the coach just wanted the points to try to win the dual.

I think the slam is a fine call. Facundo lifts him and throws him straight down, with no protection. Not the world's worst slam, but a valid call. However, it's pretty clear he wasn't hurt and the coach just wanted the points to try to win the dual.

o_O

CD wrestler got DQ win for an illegal slam -- which was an illegal slam (trapped arm) -- but CD sure looked like he could continue.

Then later, CV wrestler won by DQ for an eye poke. Match stopped for head slap, CV wrestler looked OK and was going to re-start until his coach ordered him to get checked by the trainer. DQ won the dual for CV. CV coach danced to taunt the CD bench while his guy was being checked by the trainer. CD coaches had to be restrained.

I remember that. Nothing exemplary by Heckard of CV. Didn’t he get a suspension or some punishment from that?

Only a question of which one -- Rojas is one of the better 2022 national recruits. I've seen him ranked top 20 in the class.
Since he is at CC, I would assume UM.
Davison beat my local HS something like 54-3, and Clarkston isn't a crap tram by any means

Agree entirely

I was there. It was District 3 team title match. It was coach Heckard(sp) of CV that was strutting like a fool. Both coaching staffs behave like children that day.

Now you're going to get me going about CV Water Polo!

I’m going to show my kids that video and ask them what they think about not obeying the coach in that situation. Just saying no. I’m going to tell them I hope they would just not obey the coach. Just force the freaking coach to drag them off the mat in front of everyone.
Playing devils advocate. Maybe the kid is running on adrenaline and needs an adult to check him out. Not saying he does. But you wouldn't want an adult to protect your kid from himself? We see this all the time in football and all the time people want the coaches to protect the players from himself. Ya don't know if he's hurt or not right there and there doesn't seem like their was much time to see.

I don't believe he was hurt at all, and was ready to go, but just saying. The slam looked ok to me.

I never noticed before that Bob Derr was the ref of that match. He's a legendary field hockey coach.

It was a freaking double leg lift to his back, you must be jocking right? Its no wonder why the kid wanted out of Michigan.If he was an Iowa recruit HR would be breaking the internet about now.

Last edited:
It was a freaking double leg lift to his back, you must be jocking right? Its no wonder why the kid wanted out of Michigan.If he was an Iowa recruit HR would be breaking the internet about now.

I’ve definitely seen worse slam calls. I think I read somewhere that Michigan might actually have a “your knee must be down first” rule? Not sure if true. (BTW I think it was under Track’s Facebook post about this. Myles Amine was having a lot of back and forth with people on there actually).

Regardless, it’s not the ref’s fault the coach has no class. If Facundo won by 14, then maybe you can complain about the ref potentially deciding the team score.

If I'm a parent of Rojas, I'd ask him exactly what happened...what the coach said to him. If what I suspect happened really happened, I'd be at that school Monday morning talking to their administration. I've always taught my kids that nothing in life is just handed to you... To work for what you get. I'd be pissed that coach just showed my boy to just "game the system" to get what you want if the situation seems unfavorable to him.

Here is the other thing to consider. The trainer takes it out of the coaches hand in that the match, because he said the match cannot continue. Now you have to decide. Take the 6 points or give the 6 points to the other team? Seems like a pretty crappy decision to have to make. Either way, the match is not going to continue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT