ADVERTISEMENT

Excluding the '68, '69, '73, '82, '86 and '94 teams, which Penn State team was the best?

I can’t believe that the 1978 team hasn’t been mentioned. If they had scored from the goal line against Alabama they might have been considered the best PSU team ever. Millen, Clark, Suhey, Fusina just to name a few. The team had no obvious weakness. A lot of people still believe with instant replay we would have been awarded the TD.
On the 3rd down run? It was close. I always try to slow it down to try and see if Matt got in. He swiped at the goal line with ball in hand.

On the 3rd down run? It was close. I always try to slow it down to try and see if Matt got in. He swiped at the goal line with ball in hand.
He claimed that he definitely got in. I know a lot of his teammates agree. I don’t know if instant replay could have changed the call. Too hard to see with all the bodies, etc. The end of the first half also cost us as Paterno called a questionable time out with little time remaining. Alabama was around their own 40 yd line with a 3rd down. They were able to get a first down and then complete a fifty yard TD pass into the end zone when Pete Harris fell down on the coverage. That happened with seconds remaining in the half. Without that time out call by Paterno we go into the half tied at 0-0. I remember questioning his timeout call at the time. Had we stopped them on the third down, we would probably have gotten the ball deep in our territory with very little time remaining to do anything with it. Hindsight is always 20/20 but without his timeout, Alabama would not have had time to get the TD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT