ADVERTISEMENT

Exciting Times

Wesauking Lion

Aug 14, 2006
There has not been this type of excitement since Lavar was on the cover of SI….He was a Freak.

So many questions need to be answered…

The 2 deep Oline…will they continue improvement?…Can PSU grind out a two first downs when we need to kill the clock and control the game.? A good line and Barkley should be able to do it. I cant imagine the offense with a very solid Oline…

Sanders….is he going to bust open a couple dazzling runs….ala Barkley.. I was hoping to see one last year…

The Linebackers are a huge question…. Is this the year Farmer steps up and becomes a wrecking machine. Speed with some added size…. He could be special. Cabinda & Bowen..are they going to step up and make PSU solid at this position.

Will there be a new song/chant…. ala White Strips or Kerncraft…..PSU was the trendsetter… will they do it again?

Johnson and Charles on the field at the same time with Gesicki…. Reminds me of those tall lanky Michigan receivers who would burn PSU game after game….that was painful. Oh….then there is that Blacknall guy….

Will PSU start playing in the first half? What type of score would we throw up if we actually had the offense rolling in the first quarter. This is a problem PSU must solve…..eventually time will run out…especially in the Shoe.

And… will I walk out the Michigan game as happy as I was when I walked out of the OSU game last year… beating Hairball would be so nice…

Its going to be good… really good.

Exciting times? Ha! You know what are really exciting times? When my wife and I put our 45rpm records, crack open a 6 pack, and play naked twister in the bedroom. :)

I know that was exciting for me!

Uh, I mean.....HEY LOOK, A SQUIRREL!!!

Reactions: fairgambit
Exciting times? Ha! You know what are really exciting times? When my wife and I put our 45rpm records, crack open a 6 pack, and play naked twister in the bedroom. :)
I could do without the visual.:eek: Wife excepted, of course (but only out of politeness though I'm sure she's still the most beautiful pushing-70 gal in town).

There has not been this type of excitement since Lavar was on the cover of SI….He was a Freak.

The 2 deep Oline…will they continue improvement?…Can PSU grind out a two first downs when we need to kill the clock and control the game.? A good line and Barkley should be able to do it. I cant imagine the offense with a very solid Oline…

Sanders….is he going to bust open a couple dazzling runs….ala Barkley.. I was hoping to see one last year…

The Linebackers are a huge question…. Is this the year Farmer steps up and becomes a wrecking machine. Speed with some added size…. He could be special. Cabinda & Bowen..are they going to step up and make PSU solid at this position.

Will there be a new song/chant…. ala White Strips or Kerncraft…..PSU was the trendsetter… will they do it again?

Johnson and Charles on the field at the same time with Gesicki…. Reminds me of those tall lanky Michigan receivers who would burn PSU game after game….that was painful. Oh….then there is that Blacknall guy….

Will PSU start playing in the first half? What type of score would we throw up if we actually had the offense rolling in the first quarter. This is a problem PSU must solve…..eventually time will run out…especially in the Shoe.

And… will I walk out the Michigan game as happy as I was when I walked out of the OSU game last year… beating Hairball would be so nice…

Nice post, and you covered almost everything. Agree, the "OL" is the entire key to our success. Not that all other positions are important, but we should be head & shoulders above of how our OL has performed the past couple of years.

The Indiana game was an embarrassment, even though we won. If not for all the turnovers, we would have lost. Those two Ind LB's constantly jumped in the middle of our OL unblocked all game long and stopped SB in his tracks.

Watching Wisky's OL against us was painful, but a thing of beauty. Talk about getting to the second level, they pounded us big time in the first half. I'm really excited to see what this starting OL can do this year with the RB's we have behind them. There are some studs up front that are going to move DL and LB's out of the RB's way!

Norwegian/German.
Ah, Norwegian. My second guess. There's a Norwegian literary mystery writer I like a lot named Jo Nesbo. He's very good. Jo is pronounced more like 'U', so you know.:oops: I suggest 'Snowman'. While I'm at it, for you I suggest a novel by a Swede named Pers Pederson. It's entitled 'Out Stealing Horses'. Father and son, set in Sweden near the Norway border, during WW2. It's a very nice quiet little novel. They don't steal horses. That's the code for when dad and his cohort are gonna do some Swedish resistance work.

Both books are in translation in case you were gonna use language as an objection.

Ah, Norwegian. My second guess. There's a Norwegian literary mystery writer I like a lot named Jo Nesbo. He's very good. Jo is pronounced more like 'U', so you know.:oops: I suggest 'Snowman'. While I'm at it, for you I suggest a novel by a Swede named Pers Pederson. It's entitled 'Out Stealing Horses'. Father and son, set in Sweden near the Norway border, during WW2. It's a very nice quiet little novel. They don't steal horses. That's the code for when dad and his cohort are gonna do some Swedish resistance work.

Both books are in translation in case you were gonna use language as an objection.

Thanks for the tips. I'm always looking for good books to read.

Reactions: artsandletters
The Linebackers are a huge question….

Nah, I don't really buy this. I'd say we don't have a legitimate 3rd string across all 3 positions right now. That will be filled by true frosh that arrive in the summer. But I think Cabinda and Bowen have the talent and experience to be 1st string All Big Ten. Farmer played very well on passing downs last year and is up to 230. I think he should be solid. Cam Brown has gotten bigger and faster at backup Will. Brandon Smith played excellent when he was in at backup Mike last year. And the staff has raved about Jarvis Miller. Now, if 7 linebackers go down again injured, yeah, it will be a problem. But there aren't many position groups for Big Ten teams that that wouldn't be the case.

Reactions: NJPSU

So the first half issues.....I think they will continue, at least in Q1. Moorhead has shown (and talked about in some of those Fordham YouTube clips) that he's baiting defenses and seeing how they react to certain formations, down and distances, etc. Setting them up for chunk gains later on in the game. I get as frustrated as the rest, but I think the "slow starts" are actually a variable in his equation of success. Another reason I can see early stagnation is that most teams on our schedule, especially the first 5/6 games, will have nowhere near the firepower or talent we have on our roster(when's the last time we could say that). Teams are gonna play ball control/keep away to keep our O off the field. If they can string a couple first downs together, taking minutes off the clock, it will/would hinder our ability to get into a rhythm and for JoeMo to diagnose and prescribe. So, our D playing lights out and forcing quick punts is really gonna be key to helping the O getting rolling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT