ADVERTISEMENT

Kaytron

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
Just rewatched the Rose Bowl (yeah, it is February) and Kaytron Allen just pops out. I don't know if he gets enough credit, but man, what an incredibly well-rounded, complete football player for someone that young. He looks like a senior. Always where he's supposed to be -- he's got wideout's hands, runs routes and knows how to position himself to create a target for the QB. Really good blocking technique -- gets to his man very quickly and gets his body and feet positioned right. And then the part that does get attention -- he's so intelligent finding the hole and eluding tackles.

He just has the look of a kid who has worked really hard over a lot of years to study the game and understand technique and how defenses work. Singleton of course is a really big talent but Allen is the type of player who is going to get you a first down when you really need it, who helps you win a tough football game. I just can't get over how good those guys were for freshmen. Never seen anything like it at PSU. Seider and Yurcich deserve credit too for getting them launched so well.

Can't wait to see what they do this fall with a little more strength and explosiveness.

Just rewatched the Rose Bowl (yeah, it is February) and Kaytron Allen just pops out. I don't know if he gets enough credit, but man, what an incredibly well-rounded, complete football player for someone that young. He looks like a senior. Always where he's supposed to be -- he's got wideout's hands, runs routes and knows how to position himself to create a target for the QB. Really good blocking technique -- gets to his man very quickly and gets his body and feet positioned right. And then the part that does get attention -- he's so intelligent finding the hole and eluding tackles.

He just has the look of a kid who has worked really hard over a lot of years to study the game and understand technique and how defenses work. Singleton of course is a really big talent but Allen is the type of player who is going to get you a first down when you really need it, who helps you win a tough football game. I just can't get over how good those guys were for freshmen. Never seen anything like it at PSU. Seider and Yurcich deserve credit too for getting them launched so well.

Can't wait to see what they do this fall with a little more strength and explosiveness.
Yeah, he often doesn't get the credit he deserves but he was extremely polished and reliable for a freshman. If you recall in the Army All-American bowl as a HS senior, his team went to him every time they needed a first down it seemed. You had an idea with that performance that maybe he was just that go to guy when you absolutely needed a few yards.

At any rate, I trust him more than Singleton on short yardage. Singleton improved in that area and others I think throughout the season and is definitely more explosive.

How awesome is it to have both of these young men in the same RB room? The best part is that they are going to save wear and tear on each other by bringing something a little bit different to the same running game. That should be good for their pro careers for which I think both will have a pretty nice opportunity.

Kaytron is a major talent and as you wrote, an excellent all-around player. It is a pleasure to watch him.play.

Given the work ethic that Allen has shown since he's been at PSU I was expecting him to be named as one of the Winter workout warriors. Very surprised that he was not.

I realize that Singleton is a crazy weight lifter and trainer, but hard to believe that Allen didn't outshine the rest of the RB's for one of the past recognitions.....

I thought all season that Singleton was watching and learning from Allen. In high school Singleton blasted into the LOS and blasted past everyone. But college ball is different and he needed to learn that. Defenses that regularly blitz and stunt. O line doing a lot of zone blocking or blocking an opponent through the hole. A back has to understand and see how the blocking sets up and cut accordingly.

Allen did this well from the start and Singleton had to learn it. And as he learned he became more consistent. Would love to have the proverbial fly on the wall as these two, plus coaches, discussed this. Great job by all to being the best they can be.

If Allen can improve his straight line speed he will be a dynamic player. He’s just a tad to slow to break the 20 yard runs. He gets quicker he’s gonna be really really good.

If Allen can improve his straight line speed he will be a dynamic player. He’s just a tad to slow to break the 20 yard runs. He gets quicker he’s gonna be really really good.
As a baseball comparison, Singleton is the guy that’s going to hit 40+ home runs on the year but strike out a bit. Allen is the guy that’s going to hit 40 doubles and hit 320.

I really like the way that our coaches have shared playing time. In the long run I think that it is beneficial for both players. I just hope that the players are OK with it.

I really like the way that our coaches have shared playing time. In the long run I think that it is beneficial for both players. I just hope that the players are OK with it.
They must be OK with it, or they wouldn't have come to PSU to start with. They knew they would be sharing carries and they both could have gone to about any program in the country.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Really... I guess his 59 yard and 32 yard runs from scrimmage were figments of our imagination.
He’s a hell of a back. But he gets caught from behind to quickly. A tenth of a second gets this kid 5/10 yards more a carry. Not trying to knock on the kid. Just saying he needs a touch more speed to get into the se one level. I look for his speed to improve after a year of training.

He’s a hell of a back. But he gets caught from behind to quickly. A tenth of a second gets this kid 5/10 yards more a carry. Not trying to knock on the kid. Just saying he needs a touch more speed to get into the se one level. I look for his speed to improve after a year of training.
Keep changing the your argument...
10 more yards per carry... Seriously, I can't wait to see this 16 ypc season.

An embarrassment of riches....also-at the same time, Kaytron's maturity and football wisdom combined with his blocking skill would make him very coveted in the NFL? Could they both be first rounders?

Reactions: bison13
He spends a lot of time picking his way. As he taught Singleton how see to the blocking set up, Singleton needs to teach him when to hit the afterburners.

Reactions: tlbakernc
An embarrassment of riches....also-at the same time, Kaytron's maturity and football wisdom combined with his blocking skill would make him very coveted in the NFL? Could they both be first rounders?

In a word. Yes.
Better question is whether they both could be productive NFL players? Yes

But 1st round selections at Running Back have become increasingly rare -- only 4 taken in the last 4 drafts
2022 -- no 1st round RB
2021 -- Najee Harris and Travis Etienne
2020 -- Clyde Edwards-Helaire (Chiefs)
2019 -- Josh Jacobs

Reactions: bison13
Hold on. There are 2-3 RBs taken in the first round each year.

I don't think we have the best two running backs in the nation (or 2 of the top 8 for that matter, if you consider four classes of players). They are excellent...they may develop into 2 of the top 8. But they aren't there today.

I'm just trying to lower your expectations a smidge. I know that's what the off-seasons are good for...but...

(And honestly, I have 2020 to close in my rearview mirror still....remember when Cain and Journey went down and left us with not-ready-for-primetime players? I think that's as likely a scenario in 2023 as Allen and Singleton being Big Ten offensive players of the week every single week and both getting 1st team All-Big Ten honors...)

Not true. Did you read my post above and check the link?

The trend is to fewer running backs in the 1st round.
Many of the posters here can't read. The early round NFL draft choice selection trends based on a lot of factors over time. Beyond that there isn't a sport in the world where the rules change like the NFL and they do so, often bizarrely. Some here, don't realize that it could be two more years for three even before these guys enter the draft unlikely that it's three but probably that it's two. Much can change in that time span.

I read where it has something to do with catron Allen speed that he gets caught from behind a lot. After making six jump cuts to pick up eight hard yards has little to do with speed. It has to do with needing to make jump cuts to get through the maze of defenders.

What I like the most about Allen is he has already dropped a lot of weight and improved his speed immensely from the days where his nickname was fat man. What I like about these two facts is that they obviously learn from each other and enjoy that.

Let's see what happens with a second year of experience and preparation. No matter how you negative Nelly's out there want to project things, what they achieve this freshman is remarkable and what they will achieve going forward is unlikely to be mundane or modest.

Reactions: royboy
Many of the posters here can't read. The early round NFL draft choice selection trends based on a lot of factors over time. Beyond that there isn't a sport in the world where the rules change like the NFL and they do so, often bizarrely. Some here, don't realize that it could be two more years for three even before these guys enter the draft unlikely that it's three but probably that it's two. Much can change in that time span.

I read where it has something to do with catron Allen speed that he gets caught from behind a lot. After making six jump cuts to pick up eight hard yards has little to do with speed. It has to do with needing to make jump cuts to get through the maze of defenders.

What I like the most about Allen is he has already dropped a lot of weight and improved his speed immensely from the days where his nickname was fat man. What I like about these two facts is that they obviously learn from each other and enjoy that.

Let's see what happens with a second year of experience and preparation. No matter how you negative Nelly's out there want to project things, what they achieve this freshman is remarkable and what they will achieve going forward is unlikely to be mundane or modest.
Any idea what his forty is? I said earlier that he does so many cuts that he gets caught and he needs to learn when to hit the after burners and accelerate past defenders. If he can break a couple long ones early and get confidence in his speed he will be awesome. The only question…..does he have that kind of speed?

The only question…..does he have that kind of speed?

Probably not. He didn't last year. I'm certain he will gain some speed, but it doesn't seem likely he will approach Singleton level speed.

Of course, that is not a metric that will determine his future success near as much as his vision, cutback ability, and feel for finding the hole. It just likely means he won't be a 1st round pick.

Any idea what his forty is? I said earlier that he does so many cuts that he gets caught and he needs to learn when to hit the after burners and accelerate past defenders. If he can break a couple long ones early and get confidence in his speed he will be awesome. The only question…..does he have that kind of speed?
I read it before last season started but don't recall. I think he trips sometimes, too. I think both Singleton and Allen are great students, hard workers and with the poise that comes with time. He and Singleton will get better and more complete.

Again...I guess his 34 and 70+ yard runs last season don't qualify as 'breaking a couple long ones.'

Some folks also want to compare them to juniors and seniors.... Apples to
Oranges... That is their prerogative.

Keep changing the your argument...
10 more yards per carry... Seriously, I can't wait to see this 16 ypc season.
Dude, why do you feel the need to go attack. No reason to get all personal and puff out your chest. Never said he was going to average 16 yards a carry. If you haven’t seen him get run down from behind by LB’s or DE’s this season your missing something. Merely pointing out WHEN he breaks thru the line he can get a lot more yards with a little more speed. I’m only suggesting as he matures and trains, added speed will help him gain more yards. For most of the season I thought he was our best back. Kids a class act and a great football player.

When Gualt was head of S&C we use to see training numbers during winter workouts. They use to keep a board on a wall with top performers. I haven seen anything posted on lately on height, weight, bench press, squats, 40 times, and short shuttle. I love to see how the kids increase numbers as they spend time in our program.

Last edited:
When Gualt was head of S&C we use to see train numbers during winter workouts. They use to keep a board on a wall with top performers. I haven seen anything posted on lately on height, weight, bench press, squats, 40 times, and short shuttle. I love to see how the kids increase numbers as they spend time in our program.

I don't think we get that info until the winter session is over. They do max out day on the last official session. This is where the progress updates come from.

Dude, why do you feel the need to go attack. No reason to get all personal and puff out your chest. Never said he was going to average 16 yards a carry. If you haven’t seen him get run down from behind by LB’s or DE’s this season your missing something. Merely pointing out WHEN he breaks thru the line he can get a lot more yards with a little more speed. I’m only suggesting as he matures and trains, added speed will help him gain more yards. For most of the season I thought he was our best back. Kids a class act and a great football playe

Read your post and do the math When you make irrational posts I take issue with the lack of forethought and reason.
Why do you take issue with that? It is not personal. Your the one who posted he could get 5 to 10 more yards per carry... Not me. I just added the 10 to his ypc last season. So, 16 overstates it. I should have said 15.2 .. 🤔

When Gualt was head of S&C we use to see train numbers during winter workouts. They use to keep a board on a wall with top performers. I haven seen anything posted on lately on height, weight, bench press, squats, 40 times, and short shuttle. I love to see how the kids increase numbers as they spend time in our program.
I don't remember seeing the whole board, or seeing a listing of all the players best for any one test, or even all the players for one position group for one test. Just some highlights. But any information that leaks out or is mentioned will be on the positive side and interesting to see. Along the lines of this thread, it would be interesting to see the arrival on campus and the end of Winter S&C 2023 40 times for the RB's and the WR's........

I would estimate Allen at 4.5 and Singleton at 4.4. Allen is certainly a speed upgrade over Lee or Cain before the injury. Enis/Harris was an outstanding duo back in the late 90s, and I think this duo has a higher ceiling.

I would estimate Allen at 4.5 and Singleton at 4.4. Allen is certainly a speed upgrade over Lee or Cain before the injury. Enis/Harris was an outstanding duo back in the late 90s, and I think this duo has a higher ceiling.
Love to see Allen’s short shuttle time. I’ve never seen a freshman with the vision this kid has. He’s so fluid getting thru the line. It’s really a thing of beauty watching him get thru small creases.

Not true. Did you read my post above and check the link?

The trend is to fewer running backs in the 1st round.
Looking at the 20 year trend. It's 2-3 per year.

If you look at the last 5 years though...it's about 1 per year!

But we have two of 1st rounders in our backfield....riiiiigggghhhtttt....

I see Allen has gained some substantial weight in winter training. 15 lbs iirc. That’s impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT