ADVERTISEMENT

Excellent breakdown of the last play in PSU-Purdue by UM on BTN's "Urban Analysis"

There's plenty to hate on with Urban, but he knows the game as well as anyone, and is great to listen to explain it.
Here is the LINK.

Does a great job of describing blitz packages.
Great recognition and read by Cliff and Lee. Cliff bought just enough time and made an accurate throw. Lee knew where to go and caught the ball.

Great recognition and read by Cliff and Lee. Cliff bought just enough time and made an accurate throw. Lee knew where to go and caught the ball.
Myer's conclusion was that it was the perfect defensive call against a perfect offensive call. the difference was execution. SC recognized the defense and rolled to his right to buy time. Lee ran a great route around the LB that needed to cover him. SC then dropped a dime right into Lee's hands.

Just goes to show, it isn't about the play called but the execution.

Myer's conclusion was that it was the perfect defensive call against a perfect offensive call. the difference was execution. SC recognized the defense and rolled to his right to buy time. Lee ran a great route around the LB that needed to cover him. SC then dropped a dime right into Lee's hands.

Also, for those critical of Clifford, I don't think a first or second year QB makes that play. He had to see the pressure, not panic, react (roll right) and make a perfect throw to Lee, all with the game on the line. He's not perfect (no one is) but that's a big time play in a big time situation that you want a veteran QB in there for.

Also, for those critical of Clifford, I don't think a first or second year QB makes that play. He had to see the pressure, not panic, react (roll right) and make a perfect throw to Lee, all with the game on the line. He's not perfect (no one is) but that's a big time play in a big time situation that you want a veteran QB in there for.
Agreed. I also think that his lack of accuracy may have been the result of his injury (I've heard cramps and I've heard it wasn't cramps). He may have needed to shake it off and become comfortable with whatever was ailing him to make good throws.

But let's face facts, Allar has the raw materials. So I clearly understand why he is the new shiny object. he can do, physically, what SC can only dream about. If Allar can approach SC in terms of game experience and poise, we've got something that could be special.

Bottom line is that this is SC's team until it is proven it is not. That means we beat the teams we expect to beat while he is in control. If we start faltering against teams like NW, Minny, Indy...its time to make a change.

IMO, Yurcich recognized Purdue's "Max Pressure" alignments, knew it was vulnerable and held the play in his back-pocket for that situation (the game was nip-&-tuck for most of the 2nd Half - Yurcich probably knew the game might come down to a needed final-drive.). As UM covered, there really is no such thing as a 7-man blitz, this is determined by weather PSU has called for "max protect" (i.e., kept RB in to block) or sends the RB into a pass pattern (IOW, 7th blitzer has "man responsibility" for the 5th eligible receiver - 4 defensive backs are locked in man-on-man coverage with the other 4 eligible receivers who are typically spread across the LOS unlike the RB). Given the way Cliff and Lee reacted, they knew exactly what was coming - my guess is that PSU went "max protect" earlier in the game against Purdue's "max pressure" alignments (i.e., RB stays in to block) due to the way their DE/LB reacted at the snap. Lee brilliantly waited a beat, before launching into his "wheel route" pattern - the Purdue Defender assigned to Lee, clearly thought he was going to stay in and attempt to block him (the Purdue defender had made two full steps directly toward the backfield before Lee launched into his wheel route - he was toast at that point because he needed to not only come to a full stop to change direction, but needed to make up ground to the outside which wasn't going to happen as Lee was already at full acceleration, "running downhill" as compared to defender and just blew past him.). Cliff clearly anticipated the Defender making a poor decision at the snap as he immediately faded back and to his right off the snap and immediately looked for an open Lee. Great execution by both Cliff and Lee, but an incredible call by Yurcich anticipating precisely what Purdue would do from that alignment.

Play reminded me a lot of the TD pass to Barkley against Wisconsin in b1g Championship Game where Wisconsin was also in a "max pressure" defense and attempted to assign Watt to Barkley man-on-man if he went into a pattern. A complete mismatch which was exploited for a TD on an identical RB "wheel route".

IMO, Yurcich recognized Purdue's "Max Pressure" alignments, knew it was vulnerable and held the play in his back-pocket for that situation (the game was nip-&-tuck for most of the 2nd Half - Yurcich probably knew the game might come down to a needed final-drive.). As UM covered, there really is no such thing as a 7-man blitz, this is determined by weather PSU has called for "max protect" (i.e., kept RB in to block) or sends the RB into a pass pattern (IOW, 7th blitzer has "man responsibility" for the 5th eligible receiver - 4 defensive backs are locked in man-on-man coverage with the other 4 eligible receivers who are typically spread across the LOS unlike the RB). Given the way Cliff and Lee reacted, they knew exactly what was coming - my guess is that PSU went "max protect" earlier in the game against Purdue's "max pressure" alignments (i.e., RB stays in to block) due to the way their DE/LB reacted at the snap. Lee brilliantly waited a beat, before launching into his "wheel route" pattern - the Purdue Defender assigned to Lee, clearly thought he was going to stay in and attempt to block him (the Purdue defender had made two full steps directly toward the backfield before Lee launched into his wheel route - he was toast at that point because he needed to not only come to a full stop to change direction, but needed to make up ground to the outside which wasn't going to happen as Lee was already at full acceleration, "running downhill" as compared to defender and just blew past him.). Cliff clearly anticipated the Defender making a poor decision at the snap as he immediately faded back and to his right off the snap and immediately looked for an open Lee. Great execution by both Cliff and Lee, but an incredible call by Yurcich anticipating precisely what Purdue would do from that alignment.

Play reminded me a lot of the TD pass to Barkley against Wisconsin in b1g Championship Game where Wisconsin was also in a "max pressure" defense and attempted to assign Watt to Barkley man-on-man if he went into a pattern. A complete mismatch which was exploited for a TD on an identical RB "wheel route".
yeah, it is basically a wheel route. If the OLB had covered Lee, it may be a totally different story. The OLB let Lee run right by him. Just like Watt did with Barkley against Wisconsin. That is where there was execution breakdown on the part of Purdue. Also, of note, our RBs haven't been great receivers.

yeah, it is basically a wheel route. If the OLB had covered Lee, it may be a totally different story. The OLB let Lee run right by him. Just like Watt did with Barkley against Wisconsin. That is where there was execution breakdown on the part of Purdue. Also, of note, our RBs haven't been great receivers.

The Purdue defender was "baited" on the play imho - meaning that PSU had gone to "max protect" routinely earlier in the game when Purdue went "max pressure". I say this because of the Putdue Defender's actions immediately at the snap - the Purdue defender pinched inward directly at the snap (IOW, a straight line toward QB who had just taken the shotgun snap). Lee did a masterful job making Purdue defender think he would stay in and block (and thus let Purdue defender continue his blitz/rush) - the Purdue defender had taken 2 full steps toward PSU backfield before Lee revealed he was going into a pattern. Defender was toast at that point, but the defender was clearly taken by surprise by what Lee did on the play which tells you that PSU did not show Purdue Lee doing that earlier in the game (i.e., Yurcich baited that call perfectly, holding it as his "ace in the hole" for that very situation if needed).

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Agreed. I also think that his lack of accuracy may have been the result of his injury (I've heard cramps and I've heard it wasn't cramps). He may have needed to shake it off and become comfortable with whatever was ailing him to make good throws.

But let's face facts, Allar has the raw materials. So I clearly understand why he is the new shiny object. he can do, physically, what SC can only dream about. If Allar can approach SC in terms of game experience and poise, we've got something that could be special.

Bottom line is that this is SC's team until it is proven it is not. That means we beat the teams we expect to beat while he is in control. If we start faltering against teams like NW, Minny, Indy...its time to make a change.
I agree about Allar's upside and think it is critical that he gets meaningful game reps this year in preparation to start next year.

But I also think that it is absurd when a team's QB wins conference OPOTW (including a game winning 2 min drive drill) and people are calling for him to be benched.

(as an aside, Clifford may have had both an injury as well as a cramping issue, but I'm pretty positive he got an IV when he missed that one series)

The Purdue defender was "baited" on the play imho - meaning that PSU had gone to "max protect" routinely earlier in the game when Purdue went "max pressure". I say this because of the Putdue Defender's actions immediately at the snap - the Purdue defender pinched inward directly at the snap (IOW, a straight line toward QB who had just taken the shotgun snap). Lee did a masterful job making Purdue defender think he would stay in and block (and thus let Purdue defender continue his blitz/rush) - the Purdue defender had taken 2 full steps toward PSU backfield before Lee revealed he was going into a pattern. Defender was toast at that point, but the defender was clearly taken by surprise by what Lee did on the play which tells you that PSU did not show Purdue Lee doing that earlier in the game (i.e., Yurcich baited that call perfectly, holding it as his "ace in the hole" for that very situation if needed).
Agreed. But it was his responsibility and he failed. He wanted to make the sack. But his first responsibility was that RB going into the flat.

I don't think it has been mentioned regarding cramps, but I noticed that after Clifford came back into the game there was a band aid in the crook of his left elbow where he might have received an IV.

I don't think it has been mentioned regarding cramps, but I noticed that after Clifford came back into the game there was a band aid in the crook of his left elbow where he might have received an IV.
CJF said that it was cramped in the on-field post-game. but later, I am told, SC said that it was NOT cramped but did not elaborate on what it was.

My guess is that it was something more serious, perhaps his knee which is heavily fortified. But CJF didn't want to tip off future opponents that SC's knee is gimpy. If it is more than cramps, that is a bit concerning.

What about Illinois?

Of course if the situation had been reversed, many of the experts here would be blaming coaching and the defensive play call on the last play specifically. It’s the beauty of coaching after the fact…you’re never wrong.

Of course if the situation had been reversed, many of the experts here would be blaming coaching and the defensive play call on the last play specifically. It’s the beauty of coaching after the fact…you’re never wrong.
That's right. There are a ton of elements that going into a really successful program. Recruiting, development, facilities, culture, program, etc. But in the end, the players have to be a) put in a position to succeed and b) execute when given the opportunity.

take a single play: JP jr's dropped INT. Game Changer. JP j was in the right place at the right time. He just dropped the ball. Another is #44's dropped pass from Allar. A tough catch, to be sure, but he was in the right place and the right time. PSU probably gets, at least, a FG out of that.

On the other hand, Purdue's QB way underthrew a WIDE OPEN receiver on their second to last drive which would have been a dagger to PSU. Everything was right, just didn't execute.

CJF said that it was cramped in the on-field post-game. but later, I am told, SC said that it was NOT cramped but did not elaborate on what it was.

My guess is that it was something more serious, perhaps his knee which is heavily fortified. But CJF didn't want to tip off future opponents that SC's knee is gimpy. If it is more than cramps, that is a bit concerning.
I thought his ankle got caught under him on one play just before he left the game. Enough to be some sort of sprain.

As someone who had 10+ ankle sprains of varying severity, all but the really bad ones feel okay with a good tape job. Way different than a knee sprain for me - I always felt unstable with those - even taped/braced.

But, yeah, his knee probably doesn’t feel great either after that game.

I thought his ankle got caught under him on one play just before he left the game. Enough to be some sort of sprain.

As someone who had 10+ ankle sprains of varying severity, all but the really bad ones feel okay with a good tape job. Way different than a knee sprain for me - I always felt unstable with those - even taped/braced.

But, yeah, his knee probably doesn’t feel great either after that game.
Yep, I won't disagree at all other than to say that CJF said (directly and unequivocally) that SC had cramps and that is why he didn't start the second half. He went on to say that they gave him intravenous liquids in the locker room. I am told, I didn't see it, that SC said that he did NOT have cramps but didn't say what it was.

Cramps are OK because that is easily rectified from one game to the next. If it is an ankle or knee, that is a different story. In the meantime, his left knee was heavily fortified and I don't think he ran the ball by design once. Maybe I missed it. But if it was an ankle or knee, we may have serious QB problems this year (again).

Yep, I won't disagree at all other than to say that CJF said (directly and unequivocally) that SC had cramps and that is why he didn't start the second half. He went on to say that they gave him intravenous liquids in the locker room. I am told, I didn't see it, that SC said that he did NOT have cramps but didn't say what it was.

Cramps are OK because that is easily rectified from one game to the next. If it is an ankle or knee, that is a different story. In the meantime, his left knee was heavily fortified and I don't think he ran the ball by design once. Maybe I missed it. But if it was an ankle or knee, we may have serious QB problems this year (again).
Clifford's post game interview didn't do him any favors as to the reason, he gave a pretty noncommittal answer with a cheeky smile. That's only going to increase the speculation. CJF on the other hand said quickly and confidently it was cramps, so even if it was something else more embarrassing (e.g. diarrhea), CJF did a good job covering and Clifford did not. I read somewhere that people spotted Clifford with a bandage where an IV might have been used while he was off the field, so they used that as evidence of fixing cramps due to dehydration but I assume that also could have been a way to rehydrate after something like diarrhea as well. Whatever it was it doesn't seem like a big deal going forward.

Clifford's post game interview didn't do him any favors as to the reason, he gave a pretty noncommittal answer with a cheeky smile. That's only going to increase the speculation. CJF on the other hand said quickly and confidently it was cramps, so even if it was something else more embarrassing (e.g. diarrhea), CJF did a good job covering and Clifford did not. I read somewhere that people spotted Clifford with a bandage where an IV might have been used while he was off the field, so they used that as evidence of fixing cramps due to dehydration but I assume that also could have been a way to rehydrate after something like diarrhea as well. Whatever it was it doesn't seem like a big deal going forward.
I hope you are right...but....

SC's left leg was heavily fortified and it didn't look like he moved all that well. he was able to roll out but didn't really move well. Second, he didn't run the ball once except for when he was flushed from the pocket. Box score shows him with 4 carries and 2 yards, total.

If I am a DC of an opposing team, I tell my defenders not to account for him as a runner. Just cover the RB on the RPO until he proves he is willing and can run.

Clifford was great on the final drive. But he needed to be great because of the interception earlier that almost gave the game away. That's a mistake he shouldn't make, but mistakes will happen from time to time. From a mental standpoint, it's a big move forward for Clifford IMO. He could have let one mistake turn into more, which I think he has in the past. The announcers said he had been working on that and I think it bodes well. I think last year we lose this game with Clifford getting frustrated and not performing at his best when he needs to.

Clifford was great on the final drive. But he needed to be great because of the interception earlier that almost gave the game away. That's a mistake he shouldn't make, but mistakes will happen from time to time. From a mental standpoint, it's a big move forward for Clifford IMO. He could have let one mistake turn into more, which I think he has in the past. The announcers said he had been working on that and I think it bodes well. I think last year we lose this game with Clifford getting frustrated and not performing at his best when he needs to.
I suspect SC wasn't right from halftime through the middle of the 4th quarter. He played awful after playing a decent first half (up 21-10 against a quality opponent in their house)..i suspect that ball sailed because he wasn't throwing well, favoring some part of his body.

I agree about Allar's upside and think it is critical that he gets meaningful game reps this year in preparation to start next year.

But I also think that it is absurd when a team's QB wins conference OPOTW (including a game winning 2 min drive drill) and people are calling for him to be benched.

(as an aside, Clifford may have had both an injury as well as a cramping issue, but I'm pretty positive he got an IV when he missed that one series)
What qualifies as meaningful game reps? If by meaningful game reps you mean playing when the game is in doubt this likely means Clifford has gotten hurt unless you are advocating for some type of planned QB rotation, which usually is a bad idea.

I suspect SC wasn't right from halftime through the middle of the 4th quarter. He played awful after playing a decent first half (up 21-10 against a quality opponent in their house)..i suspect that ball sailed because he wasn't throwing well, favoring some part of his body.
What do you think changed in the middle of the 4th quarter that he was suddenly right?

What qualifies as meaningful game reps? If by meaningful game reps you mean playing when the game is in doubt this likely means Clifford has gotten hurt unless you are advocating for some type of planned QB rotation, which usually is a bad idea.
"Meaningful" is obviously operationally defined/qualitative. My definition would be "reps with a full playbook" (i.e. not just handing the ball off in garbage time). This could mean playing the entire 4Q if PSU is up big, for example.

What do you think changed in the middle of the 4th quarter that he was suddenly right?

Bearing down (i.e., extreme focus to the exclusion of pain) in an extremely high pressure situation (it was a do, or die, drive) can do it.

It’s hard to believe that Gerry DiNardo actually had multiple head coaching jobs. Urban is probably thinking (this guy! WTF?) as he’s explaining everything to him while he’s diagramming the play.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Here is a seminar on defending the run game by Meyer as he explains how Michigan ran over OSU last year and that he expected Notre Dame to try to do the same.

It’s hard to believe that Gerry DiNardo actually had multiple head coaching jobs. Urban is probably thinking (this guy! WTF?) as he’s explaining everything to him while he’s diagramming the play.
It's hard to believe that the guy who can do this level of analysis is the worst coach in NFL history.

• Haha
Reactions: lazydave841
It's hard to believe that the guy who can do this level of analysis is the worst coach in NFL history.

College and NFL are 2 different games. Saban was purely mediocre in the pros and he's been the most dominant CFB coach for 15 years running and may go down as "ever".

Urban did amazing work at BG and Utah and his early success with Florida and OSU speaks to his abilities to get the most out of what players he has and his recruiting has been top 5. Where he fails at is control: self and institutional.

Now if a team wanted to turn things around quickly, I'd hire Urban, let him do the portal, and recruit. You'd likely be a 10 win team in 2 years. Of course, are you prepared for year 4 and on aka his aftermath? Florida never got back to the mountain and the Buckeyes have essentially rolled on without a hitch.

Oregon would be a prime spot. I'd pick an ACC team or B10 or Big 12, but none scream "support" like Oregon.

Here is a seminar on defending the run game by Meyer as he explains how Michigan ran over OSU last year and that he expected Notre Dame to try to do the same.

I was very unimpressed with the play of ND's QB - he did nothing against duhO$U's defense with either his arm or his feet. ND only had 76 yards on 30 rushing attempts - it was pretty obvious they were going to lose when they couldn't run the ball at all, because their QB was doing absolutely nothing to scare the duhO$U defense.

That's right. There are a ton of elements that going into a really successful program. Recruiting, development, facilities, culture, program, etc. But in the end, the players have to be a) put in a position to succeed and b) execute when given the opportunity.

take a single play: JP jr's dropped INT. Game Changer. JP j was in the right place at the right time. He just dropped the ball. Another is #44's dropped pass from Allar. A tough catch, to be sure, but he was in the right place and the right time. PSU probably gets, at least, a FG out of that.

On the other hand, Purdue's QB way underthrew a WIDE OPEN receiver on their second to last drive which would have been a dagger to PSU. Everything was right, just didn't execute.
Agreed and under Franklin, PSU has been in a position to win most of their games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT