ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN cuts to 100 on-air personalities happening today

Its tough for sure. I had a talk with the president of my previous company on a Friday. Talked for 2 hours about sports and my new apartment that I just signed the lease for. My phone rang at 9 am on Saturday morning for him to tell me that they laid me off.

I showed up Monday morning to collect my things, and the VP had the nerve to say "why didn't you make it in Sunday to get your stuff?"..

4.5 months later I landed my current gig, and it could not have turned out better. Been here for almost 2 years now, and they couldn't offer me enough to go back...
Maybe you shouldn't have been blowing off Friday afternoon, gabbing about sports for hours on end :)

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
I am not a Kanell fan, but he was about the only one to defend us in terms of going to the playoffs.

Galloway also stood up for us and he kind of grew on me with his pro-penn state stuff late in the year.

Reactions: Aloha T
If I really thought about it, aside from live ACTUAL sporting events (with the sound on "mute"), and a few of the "30 for 30"s ....the ONLY ESPN program that was ever worth watching was:

BodyShaping.....with Kiana ( even though it took a hit when Jennifer hooked up with that "walking-bag-of-hair" Chris Fowler)

kiana-tom1-o.gif

There was - for a while - a gal who (honest to God) looked like a slightly more petite version of Kiana ....who worked out, for an hour or two EVERY DAY, at the gym I was going to.
Suffice to say, I RARELY missed a day at the gym during that time :)......
so the effect of that show was really a positive!!!!.

Kianna's Flex Appeal. Best show ever on espn

She was outrageous

I am not a Kanell fan, but he was about the only one to defend us in terms of going to the playoffs.

Galloway also stood up for us and he kind of grew on me with his pro-penn state stuff late in the year.

Yup, that is what I remember of him as well. One of the only ones who wasn't pushing through the agenda that ESPN wanted.

It's all about ratings. It you're professional and competent, you're a ratings liability. If you're loud, boisterous, and make off the wall predictions, people WILL tune in to watch you make an ass of yourself (See Cosell, Howard). If they take too much of that hot air away, Bristol would be pretty damm unbearable in the middle of winter.
Except that Cosell was far more competent than most of the yahoos these days...

Someone who is close to Bristol should go to ESPN and ask them for a job application. Today. This afternoon.

MM is on his way. Looking for college football announcing or studio show, will settle for Masters gig.

Reactions: BBrown
LOL....as if anyone would feel badly for Danny Kanell (or many of the others).

Guy didn't have three-seconds-worth of talent - brought absolutely NOTHING to the table, never added one iota of value to anything - but got paid (probably relatively well) for 8 years.

But but but, he wore all those wacky sport-coats!! People would tune into ESPN for that alone!

I actually am saddened by this a bit, for two reasons:

1. You hate to see people lose their jobs.
  2. The pr*cks like Skipper will retain the worst of the lot, while letting the more professional people (Ed Werder types) go. They will be left with Stephen A and that See U Next Tuesday from MSU.
It really is a shame that the network went from reporting the news to trying to shape news and make news.

To update: Sadly, PSU grad and talented writer Dana O'Neill is among those let go. I hope she ends up back at the Inqy. She was very, very good and by all accounts a very nice person. This is a good example of #2 above.

What you can see with guys like Ed going is a shift from actual reporting to talking head personalities in a studio pontificating about whatever issue they invent to talk about today.

Should be an interesting day. It appears that ESPN still doesn't get it, as they are touting the "success" of their dreadful 6 PM show in the press release.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/espn-will-cut-100-air-personalities-today-123057142.html

Jason Stark got the boot. Really a shame. He is outstanding. Those people are d*cks to can him.

Do one column with the names of all of those let go, and one with all of those retained. You might as well just label column B as "Blowhards." That seems to be all that the jagoffs want on air.

You sir, are getting the flag thrown at you.

We have rules sir, and that is what separates us from the animals.
You guys never saw the ridiculous (but oddly appealing) fishing show - Fish On?

PG3_f_FishOn_Hawaii1.jpg

It was almost as ridiculous as body shaping

Wonder where these people laid off go? Not like there is 100 spots for sports reporters out there full time. Just about every network is cutting down on reporters as they all have too many. Newspapers are not hiring. Local news is declining so not like a ton of traditional local sportscaster jobs open.

Wonder where these people laid off go? Not like there is 100 spots for sports reporters out there full time. Just about every network is cutting down on reporters as they all have too many. Newspapers are not hiring. Local news is declining so not like a ton of traditional local sportscaster jobs open.

I need my car washed and waxed.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
There are all these internet sites, blogs and stuff.
I know maybe a few years ago philly.com let a ton of people go. Some went to this online only publication called phillyvoice.com

Yep, they gonna still employ Mushmouth, Stephen A, and Jemele at the end of the day, and in reality, its the CEO who should be firing himself for paying the incredulous amount he did for the NBA and the ridiculous amount for Thursday Night football.

Couldn't happen to a nicer network... hopefully Disney shareholders eventually tire of holding the bag and divest the whole the thing...

Rooney Rule?

It's true that it's sad in a way these folks are losing their jobs but let's not forget that the only reason they had jobs in the first place is because of the longstanding monopoly cable had that is now being broken up. Someone else nailed it when they said ESPN virtually had a license to print money because people that wanted cable TV in general had no choice but to pay for ESPN even if they didn't watch it.

I wonder if it was really necessary to employ so many of these people in the first place. I kinda get the impression ESPN figured, we're making so much money we might as well hire more people. Did they add that much value? Maybe ESPN should have just employed less and made even bigger profits during those monopoly years and that would save them having to fire them now.

It's true that it's sad in a way these folks are losing their jobs but let's not forget that the only reason they had jobs in the first place is because of the longstanding monopoly cable had that is now being broken up. Someone else nailed it when they said ESPN virtually had a license to print money because people that wanted cable TV in general had no choice but to pay for ESPN even if they didn't watch it.

I wonder if it was really necessary to employ so many of these people in the first place. I kinda get the impression ESPN figured, we're making so much money we might as well hire more people. Did they add that much value? Maybe ESPN should have just employed less and made even bigger profits during those monopoly years and that would save them having to fire them now.

Yep...right place and right time. And like many large companies, they over expanded and didn't come up with new ideas to package and present sports. Instead, they moved towards politics, drug use and contracts. And, on top of that, promoted blow hards (and apparently still are). They never developed new markets. The EU soccer leagues are killing them (when I look at 'trending' on Sat or Sunday, the soccer leagues are always over most of the sports programming). We got a bunch of politically correct BS that has never resonated with the viewer.

And nobody, not one, stood up for PSU in 2011, and almost none do today when institutionally, PSU has been exonerated (as has the football program and Joe).

Excuse me if I don't cry any tears.

giphy-4.gif

Reactions: Sharkies
Please fire David Pollack
If Pollack were fired....would he know? Or would he just keep showing up week after week (like Milton) ..... oblivious to the fact that he had been sacked?

th

It is a little like newspapers (which employed me and put my kids through college). A lot of really smart people were employed as journalists because newspapers had a monopoly (in most markets) on print ads. If you wanted people to see your new widget, or piece of clothing, or your new movie, your new car model, ANYTHING -- the local newspaper and TV was the only game in town. Readers appreciated the content that journalists provided, but it was advertisers who paid the bills. When the web came along that business model fell apart.

ESPN has been financially insulated by cable bundling but that is all coming apart -- and if anything, the paradigm shift coming to TV is going to happen even faster than the decline of newspapers.

Ironically, I think ESPN is right to invest in sports event rights. It's content you can't get anywhere else. If they have exclusive rights to NFL on Thursdays, then if you're bored and you can't think of anything better to do on Thursdays, you'll tune in even if they are terrible games. It's a business. But the problem is ESPN overpaid for it, not knowing how to value it. And that creates a cash flow problem for them right now. You lose $100 million PER NFL game, as some suggest happened, well pretty soon you've lost real money.

But all of ESPN's commentary and even some of their really good journalism -- Jayson Stark is a great example -- it's just not worth that much. People don't pay for content on the web except in niche things like rivals sites for recruiting content -- and even then they don't pay a whole lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT