ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN cuts to 100 on-air personalities happening today

Should be an interesting day. It appears that ESPN still doesn't get it, as they are touting the "success" of their dreadful 6 PM show in the press release.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/espn-will-cut-100-air-personalities-today-123057142.html

Yeah no kidding. I wonder how many times that has been brought up in the exit interviews for everyone they are cutting. Would love to hear the corporate spinning that comprises the answer.

Those two are awful, they should be the first two cut.

Since this is Disney, it is my understanding that the talent being cut will need to train their successors, has anyone else heard if this is true??

Reactions: Shendojoe
Should be an interesting day. It appears that ESPN still doesn't get it, as they are touting the "success" of their dreadful 6 PM show in the press release.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/espn-will-cut-100-air-personalities-today-123057142.html

I actually am saddened by this a bit, for two reasons:

1. You hate to see people lose their jobs.
  2. The pr*cks like Skipper will retain the worst of the lot, while letting the more professional people (Ed Werder types) go. They will be left with Stephen A and that See U Next Tuesday from MSU.
It really is a shame that the network went from reporting the news to trying to shape news and make news.

To update: Sadly, PSU grad and talented writer Dana O'Neill is among those let go. I hope she ends up back at the Inqy. She was very, very good and by all accounts a very nice person. This is a good example of #2 above.

Also, not good news if you're an NHL fan - gutting that sector (and during the playoffs).

Reactions: Pocono Lion
Yep, they gonna still employ Mushmouth, Stephen A, and Jemele at the end of the day, and in reality, its the CEO who should be firing himself for paying the incredulous amount he did for the NBA and the ridiculous amount for Thursday Night football.

Couldn't happen to a nicer network... hopefully Disney shareholders eventually tire of holding the bag and divest the whole the thing...

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Really? He's been on the channel for nearly 20 years covering the NFL.

I guess if you don't watch ESPN or the NFL much, you wouldn't have heard of him--but he's been a fixture there alongside Mortensen.
I have no idea who any of them are but then i don't watch talking heads. I'll take part blame or credit, however you look at it for the layoffs. Also needs to happen in the news media.

hannah-storm-net-worth1.jpg

Hannah Storm will see greatly diminished role.

I always had a bit of a thing for her. Now my thing will be diminished. And that's too bad.

They should just go back to Australian rules football in the afternoons. I was channel surfing about a month ago on a workday afternoon I was off that day. Those afternoon talk shows are putrid. I tried watching a couple of them and they are brutal. The one with 2 sports guys taking about that days news and some Cuban guy in the middle of them was the worst tv I have witnessed. I watch their afternoon shows for a total of about 2 minutes ... no wonder their ratings are down and cutting costs. Their programming is awful. Guys were smart jumping ship a few years ago to fox and getting off the sinking ship of espn.... while I don't like seeing people lose their jobs there are a few at espn if cut I will shed crocodile tears if they are cut ...

Yep, they gonna still employ Mushmouth, Stephen A, and Jemele at the end of the day, and in reality, its the CEO who should be firing himself for paying the incredulous amount he did for the NBA and the ridiculous amount for Thursday Night football.

Couldn't happen to a nicer network... hopefully Disney shareholders eventually tire of holding the bag and divest the whole the thing...
That's likely true--the CEO noted "personality-driven" for SportsCenter as one of the keys.... I.e. folks who can be controversial (aka talking out of their *sses)

Reactions: bwifan
This guy did not make my stomach turn so disappointed to hear. Quick story. My friend used to play basketball with Sal Pal. Said Sal never believed he fouled anyone and believed EVERYONE was always fouling him.

I met Sal once - at a Panera Bread in Moorestown, NJ - he was with his kids. Actually really a nice guy.

Would like to see this bozo go away and never come back back back again. And take Dickie V. with him.

He is long gone... he saw the cuts coming and knew with the insane money they were paying him he would be gone and thus retired or is doing some undefined reduced role at espn to ride out his contract... at least the women interns will feel safer now

Really? He's been on the channel for nearly 20 years covering the NFL.

I guess if you don't watch ESPN or the NFL much, you wouldn't have heard of him--but he's been a fixture there alongside Mortensen.
Figures they fire a pro like Ed Werder and keep a bunch of knuckleheads, tokens, sexual harassers, no talents and has beens

I have no idea who any of them are but then i don't watch talking heads. I'll take part blame or credit, however you look at it for the layoffs. Also needs to happen in the news media.

Werder wasn't one of the talking heads. He's an actual reporter who actually reports and doesn't editorialize everything he does.

I haven't watched ESPN much post-2011, but always liked Werder's work and have for many years.

I get not liking ESPN. But it is definitely not something to root for since the people being let go have families. Many of the people being let go are lesser known and likely not paid boat loads of money. Never a good thing to have to deal with being let go (even if the company you work for is ESPN) and to not know when you will be getting your next paycheck.

They should just go back to Australian rules football in the afternoons. I was channel surfing about a month ago on a workday afternoon I was off that day. Those afternoon talk shows are putrid. I tried watching a couple of them and they are brutal. The one with 2 sports guys taking about that days news and some Cuban guy in the middle of them was the worst tv I have witnessed. I watch their afternoon shows for a total of about 2 minutes ... no wonder their ratings are down and cutting costs. Their programming is awful. Guys were smart jumping ship a few years ago to fox and getting off the sinking ship of espn.... while I don't like seeing people lose their jobs there are a few at espn if cut I will shed crocodile tears if they are cut ...

Yea, I know what show you are talking about. Its Boomani Jones or however you spell his name, Dan Lebatard and his dad.
Its actually worse than the Jemelle Hill Sports Center...think about that...its that bad.
Oh and there are a few at ESPN that I would be absolutely thrilled about seeing them lose their jobs. To the point that they are homeless and living off scraps from the street.:cool:

Reactions: bwifan
You would think being a female basketball reporter, Dana would have checked all the boxes for retainment. Oh wait...

ADVERTISEMENT