ADVERTISEMENT

Edit: BIG TEN REVOTE AS EARLY AS THIS FRIDAY!

Remember the list of demands the B1G players asked for before they would play? Can you say fear of class action?

I think the B1G was hoping they could see how things play out with the other conferences but the revolt from parents, players, and fans - not to mention a very public effort by POTUS - has them backed into a corner. If they were hoping to get a political win by shutting down, and that was their only motivation, there is zero chance they reverse course. Since it seems they're considering it, have to deduce their motives were based on something else (liability, safety, etc.), and they're being sued anyway, might be worth going down collectively as it were. The first player who wins a lawsuit against a school because of COVID will open the floodgates.

Reactions: step.eng69
It seems to be the only thing school doctors/schools care about.

Reason I am asking, is because it seems like myocarditis must not be a danger for "other" or "regular" students. The B1G Presidents were all fine with allowing students back on campus. Knowing that 25,000... 30,000 ... 40,000 students would be returning to B1G campuses and doing what 18-22 year old students do: hang out, socialize, party, make out.... These students must have had no danger of myocarditis in the view of B1G Presidents. Only football players.

Reason I am asking, is because it seems like myocarditis must not be a danger for "other" or "regular" students. The B1G Presidents were all fine with allowing students back on campus. Knowing that 25,000... 30,000 ... 40,000 students would be returning to B1G campuses and doing what 18-22 year old students do: hang out, socialize, party, make out.... These students must have had no danger of myocarditis in the view of B1G Presidents. Only football players.

Right. So, why are they so much more worried about football players getting it? Either a) they're not, and just using it as an excuse to make a political statement, or b) they are scared of litigation stemming from loss of future earnings by any athlete who contracts the virus and can find a lawyer to represent him.

I don't know either way. I suspect we'll find out how serious they are about safety if/when they vote again.

Right. So, why are they so much more worried about football players getting it? Either a) they're not, and just using it as an excuse to make a political statement, or b) they are scared of litigation stemming from loss of future earnings by any athlete who contracts the virus and can find a lawyer to represent him.

I don't know either way. I suspect we'll find out how serious they are about safety if/when they vote again.
I was just having this exact same discussion 5 minutes ago. There is a clear element of some type of political statement in these studies being pushed out to the public.

I was just having this exact same discussion 5 minutes ago. There is a clear element of some type of political statement in these studies being pushed out to the public.

Well, when you combine the concerns of myocarditis with player group demands about safety, health, etc., you get a very nervous set of university presidents, some of whom have been sued/penalized/fined like crazy recently (MSU, PSU, OSU), and aren't looking to dole out unknown amounts of new payments. The issue with the political angle is it gives this conference and it's leadership too much credit for being politically savvy while not giving the Pac 12 any at all for doing the same thing. It's all a massive clusterf*ck. B1G should have waited as late as possible before making any drastic moves.

Did any of you guys ever actually play football? The risk to players in this game is not the same as the general student population. I don't know what the delta is because no one does, but to say they are all the same is ignorant.

If the b1g decides to play, what it means is somehow they have changed their minds about accepting the risks as the other 3 P5 conferences have already done. I don't know what has changed to make the presidents change their thinking on that, but if they do, that's what it means. And if they do change their minds, they damn well better have compelling reasons why because after the last shit-storm they are easy targets for criticism and mocking.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Did any of you guys ever actually play football? The risk to players in this game is not the same as the general student population. I don't know what the delta is because no one does, but to say they are all the same is ignorant.

Sorry, that's not much of an explanation.

Do we see pro, college, and prep football players becoming infected while playing or practicing?

We do see college kids infected from social events, and sometimes in big numbers (Alabama, NC State, UNC, etc.)

Is a player in a structured football environment with frequent testing more at risk?

Sorry, that's not much of an explanation.

Do we see pro, college, and prep football players becoming infected while playing or practicing?

We do see college kids infected from social events, and sometimes in big numbers (Alabama, NC State, UNC, etc.)

Is a player in a structured football environment with frequent testing more at risk?
So you never played football and you completely missed the point. You can join the crowd on this board on those points.

It is playing on the field, OL and DL being lined up a yard away from each other, breathing hard and having close physical content while breathing hard and sweating. That's the same as a normal student?

I give up on you guys. Rock on.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
Well, when you combine the concerns of myocarditis with player group demands about safety, health, etc., you get a very nervous set of university presidents, some of whom have been sued/penalized/fined like crazy recently (MSU, PSU, OSU), and aren't looking to dole out unknown amounts of new payments. The issue with the political angle is it gives this conference and it's leadership too much credit for being politically savvy while not giving the Pac 12 any at all for doing the same thing. It's all a massive clusterf*ck. B1G should have waited as late as possible before making any drastic moves.

+1

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
So you never played football and you completely missed the point. You can join the crowd on this board on those points.

It is playing on the field, OL and DL being lined up a yard away from each other, breathing hard and having close physical content while breathing hard and sweating. That's the same as a normal student?

Dammnnnn I knew I should have played football. I would have a much better understanding of respiratory functions. ;)

Last edited:
What % of football players in general would show some characteristics of myocarditis? I am not buying the correlation of healthy football player, gets asymptomatic COVID, 15-30% now have some form of myocarditis. People say well if they had myocarditis prior it would have shown up on on their annual/periodic physicals. Hogwash. Did heart problems show up in Hank Gathers' and Reggie Williams' annual/periodic physicals prior to on court collapses? No. It takes specialized machinery, like MRI to see, so many of these could already have it regardless of COVID and that is my guess.

Reactions: Eric_M
Good ole Dennis Dodd....his source for that was Pete Thamel as they sit in their basement thinking ways to cancel the season.,

You know what I want....not football, no sports until there isn't 1 case of Covid in the world. The I want these spoiled self righteous sports writers to all get canned and have to go get other jobs. Maybe at that point they won't see every single things as a negative and detrimental.

Not saying everything you said is wrong, but sweat is NOT a vector for covid19.

Reactions: bison13

As you point out, there is some cherry picking and lots of inconsistency in many of the arguments we hear over football. You would think sports is the primary transmission vector of covid listening to much of this.

If the big ten’s concerns are long term health affects, legal liability, and “uncertainty”, then how have they allowed 30,000- 40,000 students back to each campus? Any transmission through sports (especially with the planned testing) pales in comparison to what will be seen with typical college student behavior (bars, frats, dorms, dining halls, etc).

Last edited:
Michigan, the State of, just voted to allow high school football to again be allowed to be played. Wonder if people are seeing political ramifications and changing their mind. As my name says, I live in TX......politicians wouldn't stand a chance if they cancelled football here. what they did here is 1A-4A stayed the same. 5A and 6A were delayed by a month giving those big schools a month in the class before they played.

It's a good point - what's the difference in liability between a scholarship athlete and a student? Is there a difference? If an engineering student contracts COVID and has myocarditis, how much does it impact his future earnings? Say the same thing for someone like Micah Parsons - big difference? No difference? Lots of unanswerables but B1G has played things extremely safe so far. Will be interesting to see if they change course because of the promise of more access to testing kits.

Strenuous physical exertion increases the risk of cardiac issues from myocarditis. The University requires that activity for its student athletes but not for students thus the liability is greater to them for student athletes.

Strenuous physical exertion increases the risk of cardiac issues from myocarditis. The University requires that activity for its student athletes but not for students thus the liability is greater to them for student athletes.
"requires"? No one is required to play an intercollegiate sport.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Recap, for those of us stuck at work????
Sandy spoke about rapid testing being very important and how she's very involved with the B1G among other fluff and CJF basically described what practice is like, how he's all over his players making sure they are wearing masks(including stalking them downtown), and how it sucks that all other sports can practice 20 hrs a week and football only 12 hrs. He also spoke highly of Dr. Sebass and how they constantly comunicate and are on the same page. Talked a little about the OC and QB'S. No mention of seasons by either of them. *Edit: He also said that he can have the team ready for live game play in 4 to 6 weeks if needed.

Last edited:
"requires"? No one is required to play an intercollegiate sport.

So you are telling me that student athletes aren’t required to play an intercollegiate sport? This is exactly the reason the NCAA and schools are allowing players to opt out this year. By not “requiring” it this year they are mitigating liability.

If that worm Barron votes no I am going to go ballistic.

barren voted no the first time in the name of MYOCARDITIS. o_O . Now with Kick-his-ass Sebas talking up MYOCARDITIS. o_O , there is no way barren votes yes the second time, if there is a second time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT