ADVERTISEMENT

E-Readers vs Real books

Cletus11

Aug 8, 2003
Opinions on how easy to adapt to reading books from an Ipad or Ereader. Never been a huge reader but have only ever done from real books. How hard to adapt to reading from Kindle type Ereader. And for those that do read from them, what is the cheapest/best one to get.

I look at a computer all for work so just figure might be tough to read from electronic. does it hurt your eyes after a while?

Reactions: fairgambit
Opinions on how easy to adapt to reading books from an Ipad or Ereader. Never been a huge reader but have only ever done from real books. How hard to adapt to reading from Kindle type Ereader. And for those that do read from them, what is the cheapest/best one to get.

I look at a computer all for work so just figure might be tough to read from electronic. does it hurt your eyes after a while?

I am old school. I love the feel of a book in my hands. I enjoy turning the pages. I like placing one of my favorite bookmarks where I left off. Hell, I even like the smell. I have never read an e-book. I never will.

Rooftop+Old+man+Reading.jpg.cf.jpg

I am old school. I love the feel of a book in my hands. I enjoy turning the pages. I like placing one of my favorite bookmarks where I left off. Hell, I even like the smell. I have never read an e-book. I never will.
Felt the same way. But I like to read 3-4 books at the same time. And with all the traveling I do (did?), Kindle Fire was a great way to maintain that reading approach.

But I am still with Fair...nothing like a real book!

Love the feeling of reading a true book. That being said, I also read on a Nook and on my iPad. No problem adapting to the Nook but do find the iPad can be a tiny bit more tiring due to the bright clarity of the screen, which can be adjusted in preferences. Never tried a Kindle.

Love the feeling of reading a true book. That being said, I also read on a Nook and on my iPad. No problem adapting to the Nook but do find the iPad can be a tiny bit more tiring due to the bright clarity of the screen, which can be adjusted in preferences. Never tried a Kindle.

I like to read on an IPad at night. You can change the settings so that the background is black and the wording is white. It allows you read in bed with the room remaining almost completely dark. Very relaxing. :cool:

Reactions: LionJim

Rooftop+Old+man+Reading.jpg.cf.jpg
+1

The worst is when I thought I’d read books on my iPhone using the kindle app. It’s actually not bad but it’s easy to minimize the app and surf the web.

I swore that I’d never give up paper, but I was given a Kindle for attending a conference and on a whim took it with me on a vacation. After getting the pages blown around as I sat by the pool and continually having to deal with book and drink and sunscreen I decided to give the Kindle a try.

Took me about 5 minutes to realize I’d nevef buy another paper book. I love the ability to manipulate the font size, to search and to bookmark passages.

I bought Kindle Paperwhite a couple years ago and it’s an improvement on the original. So easy on the eyes.

Only exception I would make to my preference is for historical non-fiction where things like maps and charts come into play. The Kindle doesn’t render those as nicely as I’d like. But other than that, this old man greatly prefers the Kindle.

I swore that I’d never give up paper, but I was given a Kindle for attending a conference and on a whim took it with me on a vacation. After getting the pages blown around as I sat by the pool and continually having to deal with book and drink and sunscreen I decided to give the Kindle a try.

Took me about 5 minutes to realize I’d nevef buy another paper book. I love the ability to manipulate the font size, to search and to bookmark passages.

I bought Kindle Paperwhite a couple years ago and it’s an improvement on the original. So easy on the eyes.

Only exception I would make to my preference is for historical non-fiction where things like maps and charts come into play. The Kindle doesn’t render those as nicely as I’d like. But other than that, this old man greatly prefers the Kindle.

Plus Kindle-type things usually have dictionaries built in so if you come across a word you don't know you just tap on it and it looks it up for you. I agree about chart-type things though.

And another one is this. In books they put all the pictures in one section in the middle, presumably because it's easier due to the binding. But with e-books you'd think they could put pictures anywhere including wherever in the books it is most relevant but they still seem to all come in one place.

In fact, having pictures throughout the book could change the way people write. Now a writer introduces a historical character writes a paragraph or so about what the character looks like and then at the end of the book there's a picture of the person. Instead they could introduce the character, give me a sentence intro about how they look and then just show me the picture.

My wife is old school and only reads hard cover books. Me, I only read e-readers and I'm on my second kindle and I'm about to buy a third due to battery issues. My present reader still last about a week but I feel the battery is nearing its end. I've had it a long time, and not surprised by a battery issue.. I stopped using the first because I wanted to switch to the Kindle paperwhite. I read many books that are around 700 pages and don't like to handle a book that large. I'm not in favor of a notepad because of the added weight vs a Kindle The Kindle app on the your phone comes in handy when waiting in a Dr. office or for any service. The app syncs with your e-reader which means you're never without a book. A big plus for me on the e-reader is the dictionary. Highlight the word and it gives you its definition. The most recent word I found was steatopygous. You'll use it whenever you see Kim Kardashian West.

My wife insists on real books and it drives me crazy. Books are piled up everywhere in our house. I tell her to download them onto a tablet and she can save them forever but she prefers a real book.

I look at a computer all for work so just figure might be tough to read from electronic. does it hurt your eyes after a while?[/QU

I use both. Generally only buy hardcopy for those books I wish to add to the shelf; otherwise, I use my Ipad. Find myself reading a lot more since starting reading on-line. I enjoy both very much...

My wife loves the feel of a real book, and I keep trying to convince her to go to a Kindle or iPad....we have piles of used books all over the house.

iPad only way to go. you can even flip the pages if you like, they have a kindle app. remembers where you left off without a maker!! Plus if you want to read and listen to music you can!! and put it all in your pocket!!

Prefer real books. But with this darn pandemic going around, eBooks will have to do.

Every hardback book in my library cost twice as much to move as it cost to buy originally. Adding the cost to my lower back to the equation convinced me years ago to go digital. I started with a Kindle but switched soon after to my iPad.

I recently gave away all but about 100 books and only buy a printed one when an e-book is unavailable. Changing took a willingness to learn a new way to enjoy a lifelong habit and presented some pros and cons but I am a convert.

Real books....only way to go. So happy my local library reopened
Our library allows you to borrow ebooks free. With a library membership card you don’t have to visit the library physically and you can reserve books that are loaned out to others. I’m a kindle user because you can travel with several books without the weight or space of paper.

iPad only way to go. you can even flip the pages if you like, they have a kindle app. remembers where you left off without a maker!! Plus if you want to read and listen to music you can!! and put it all in your pocket!!

On an Ipad it looks like you're flipping pages so once I stopped mid-flip, keeping my finger on it so that page would stop but say put, and I checked to see if the letters you see on the page as you're flipping it are generic stuff or instead if it the stuff on the previous page that you were reading, but just backwards because the page is flipping, and it's the latter. IOW, it's not a fake page flip, it's a real page flip.

I've had a few Kindle paperwhites, they are really nice. Some books I want to have in paper and keep for the shelf, but for the most part i'm reading on the Kindle. It packs light and the screen is easy to read on the beach or at night in a dark room... Love it. I was given a Kindle Fire as a gift years ago, that thing is a door-stop.

I love to read, but I deeply regret that I’m very slow at it, and do a poor job of carving out the time to do it. In all honesty, if I won the lottery, yes I’d want to do some traveling and partake in some cool experiences I can’t afford time- or money-wise right now... but I really think the single biggest thing I’d indulge in would simply be... being able to read a lot, lol.

I’m with those who love the experience of reading a physical book... and I love to accumulate them and just have them around me. Six years ago, what had been the boring and little-used “formal living room” in my house became the “library” now with almost all the wall space taken up by bookshelves, mostly full.

I do own a Kindle Paperwhite and I actually like it a lot... but I mostly use it to store and read technical books (I work in IT) because the physical versions of those tend to be extra big and bulky, and of course they mostly become an obsolete waste of paper after a few years. Plus I’m much more likely to want to do searches in those books, and I can also bring them up in Kindle Cloud Reader on my laptop when I need them for reference.

I do have a number of non-technical books on there too... mostly classics that were very cheap or free to download, and many of which I also own as real books.

I do feel like I read a good bit faster on the Kindle... probably because I’m not being distracted by pausing to savor the physical book experience. Ah well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT