ADVERTISEMENT

Dwayne Haskins. RIP

I could not access the tweet. Apparently he died when he was hit by a car this morning in south Florida.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Appears he was hit by a dump truck while walking (?) on I-595 in Ft. Lauderdale. Terrible. Hate to hear that.

I hated the guy when he played against us. Was he not the one who said I didn't come to,,, . I could be mistaken. Now learning of this has saddened me, I never really hated Haskins of course, and I pray for the entire Haskins family. AMEN

Reactions: dailybuck777
I hated the guy when he played against us. Was he not the one who said I didn't come to,,, . I could be mistaken. Now learning of this has saddened me, I never really hated Haskins of course, and I pray for the entire Haskins family. AMEN
You're thinking of Cardale Jones. Pretty sure Jones recently admitted it was a foolish thing to say.

Glad he found his way out of Washington, and to a better place, both owner and coach-wise. Nothing against Rivera, but he's probably a little too old school and tough love to handle what Haskins really needed.

Reactions: bison13
Schefter deleted it because he talked about his struggles in the NFL before announcing his death. Didn't go over very well.
But isn't that what the press does with anything PSU and relating it to the Sandusky scandal?

That was another QB named Cardale Jones. He simply said aloud what many big time college athletes believe. Regardless, sad day for both OSU and Steeler fans.

Man, awful. Not a fan of his as an osu guy but coming to steelers he seemed to be a solid teammate and citizen.

Last night one of the ‘burg channels ran a clip of one of those fan based Caribbean cruises. It just ended on Sunday and Haskins and his wife were on the cruise. Seems the Steelers had one with a lot of the old, retired Steelers plus some of the current ones. Spent a week cruising and mixing it up with the fans on the ship.

At the end of the cruise they had fans vote for their favorite Steeler on the ship. Haskins won which is amazing for a guy that was only on the team one year and barely played. They even showed a clip of the fans in an auditorium chanting “Dwayne Haskins” over and over. Had to be a great guy.

Such a terrible and unnecessary loss for all of us. Like him or not he was a talented kid and far too young. Heard he may have run out of gas but who knows. The authorities would be able to ascertain that pretty quickly if true and their silence is concerning. Nevertheless, never get out and walk on a freeway let alone try and cross one. Authorities will get to any disabled vehicle pretty quickly in a high volume area.

Such a terrible and unnecessary loss for all of us. Like him or not he was a talented kid and far too young. Heard he may have run out of gas but who knows. The authorities would be able to ascertain that pretty quickly if true and their silence is concerning. Nevertheless, never get out and walk on a freeway let alone try and cross one. Authorities will get to any disabled vehicle pretty quickly in a high volume area.
Seems odd to me that there's been almost no reporting of the specifics of how this occurred. I've seen dubious internet speculation about running out of gas - possibly on a motorcycle. If that were the case, I expect the authorities would have known that right away and would have released that information. Also I've heard nothing on where he was coming from or going to. Tragic.

Maybe he ran out of gas? Busted water hose? Who knows?
I would like to believe that the young man had a lot to live for, but who knows what was going on in his personal life or where he was at psychologically in the days leading up to this.

Haskins apparently ran out of gas before being fatally hit

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — The wife of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins called Florida 911 dispatchers shortly after he was fatally struck by a dump truck earlier this month, saying his car had run out of gas and she was worried because he wasn't answering the phone, according to recordings released Wednesday.

Kalabrya Haskins, who was calling from Pittsburgh and unaware of the accident, told a Florida Highway Patrol dispatcher on April 9 that her 24-year-old husband had called from near Fort Lauderdale to say he was walking to get gas and would call her back. When the former Ohio State star didn't, she told the dispatcher she tried to call him but he wasn't answering.

Haskins apparently ran out of gas before being fatally hit

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — The wife of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins called Florida 911 dispatchers shortly after he was fatally struck by a dump truck earlier this month, saying his car had run out of gas and she was worried because he wasn't answering the phone, according to recordings released Wednesday.

Kalabrya Haskins, who was calling from Pittsburgh and unaware of the accident, told a Florida Highway Patrol dispatcher on April 9 that her 24-year-old husband had called from near Fort Lauderdale to say he was walking to get gas and would call her back. When the former Ohio State star didn't, she told the dispatcher she tried to call him but he wasn't answering.

dang...that is so sad. I am waiting for the toxicology report as I still find this to be odd behavior for a young adult with money at that time of the day. But regardless of that, a horrible tragedy for him, his family and friends.

I just drove through that I-595 stretch on Monday. The driving style there is ultra-aggressive to say the least; and I commute Central NJ every day. I could not imagine trying to cross that highway on foot at any time of day.
Absolutely!!

As a resident of S FL I am very familiar with that area. That area is a nightmare to drive through much less try to walk along that highway.

Reactions: tlbakernc
dang...that is so sad. I am waiting for the toxicology report as I still find this to be odd behavior for a young adult with money at that time of the day. But regardless of that, a horrible tragedy for him, his family and friends.
I agree--ultimately regardless of what happened it's tragic. I still feel like we're missing something. He could have easily called for help if he called his wife.

I just drove through that I-595 stretch on Monday. The driving style there is ultra-aggressive to say the least; and I commute Central NJ every day. I could not imagine trying to cross that highway on foot at any time of day.
My take is that Haskins was a good guy with the maturity of a 14-yr-old. (For instance, remember him doing selfies with fans in game that was won before the game was over) He thought he was invincible and didn't have the maturity to see the danger involved in getting on the highway.

This also seems odd

"Haskins' family released a statement explaining they have not met Haskins' wife, and do not want their first meeting to come at Haskins' funeral."
More than odd. His wife definitely had a crazy streak and in fact knocked out one of Haskins teeth. He was smart enough not to strike back. But of all the women he could have had, that he chose her is a bit weird.

More than odd. His wife definitely had a crazy streak and in fact knocked out one of Haskins teeth. He was smart enough not to strike back. But of all the women he could have had, that he chose her is a bit weird.
I am waiting......in another month or two she will announce she is pregnant with his child.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT