ADVERTISEMENT

During my run this afternoon....listened to some Alice In Chains....

Yeah they kick ass, it's no secret!

I think "Them Bones" may be the best rock single and the best blues song of the 90s.

Layne had a haunting voice that really made them have a unique sound. "Dirt" and "Jar of Flies" are outstanding albums. Some of my favorites are Nutshell, I Stay Away, and Angry Chair. Of course, Rooster and Would? are great as well. Many purists will say that AIC without Layne isn't really AIC, but I think William does a good job carrying the mantle.

In concert.....intense rendition of Man in the Box .....Excellent vocals.....percussion and guitar work. Any fans out there?

Yes, and love the Mad Season album as well, although depressing as hell. Haunting vocals indeed, especially when one considers the subject matter from Dirt to the self-named album, and then the Mad Season album.

Yes, and love the Mad Season album as well, although depressing as hell. Haunting vocals indeed, especially when one considers the subject matter from Dirt to the self-named album, and then the Mad Season album.

Mad Season was actually a Layne side project. Rehab buds made an album. Pearl Jam guitar player or two.

Their debut is as excellent as anybody's. Unplugged is one of the best of those acoustic sets. The new stuff captures the old vibe yet remains fresh.

Saw them live for the 4th time in July. Flawless.

Mad season was so so so good.

I've had the pleasure of seeing them live a couple of times. They are still amazing without Layne.

It seemed in many songs as if he (Staley) / they (the group as a whole) were singing about their own struggles...brings a sense of reality to their work

"I'm the dog who gets beat, woof woof". Incredible band.

It seemed in many songs as if he (Staley) / they (the group as a whole) were singing about their own struggles...brings a sense of reality to their work

You basically summed up every hard/alternative rock song

No one has mentioned Killer is Me off of the unplugged album yet. Honestly, one of my favorite songs (along with nutshell from the same album).

Saw them a few years ago and as someone already pointed out, and even with half the original 4, they're still one of the best. Honestly I think that's because Sean and Jerry have carried them musically. Layne's vocals was just the icing on the cake. Granted, the best most amazing icing ever...

If you haven't seen this interview with Jerry and Sean, check it out. Very interesting to hear them talk about The Music Bank and how they would just get together and jam, and to think about how that shaped the band and grunge as a whole...

Reactions: djr4rebs
In concert.....intense rendition of Man in the Box .....Excellent vocals.....percussion and guitar work. Any fans out there?
Had facelift on in the car this morning.

Not kidding. But was also a huge coincidence.

I listened to the album Dirt so much. When I was a teenager. I broke the cassette tape.
Mind Blown.

If asked, I would have guessed it wasn't possible to buy Dirt on cassette. I believe you. Just also surprised.

Mind Blown.

If asked, I would have guessed it wasn't possible to buy Dirt on cassette. I believe you. Just also surprised.

Really? It was a 1992 release. 1992 was the first year more CDs were sold than tapes, but still about 40% of record sales were cassettes.

Got the first two albums. Two of my favorite songs are Down In The Hole and Angry Chair.

Layne Staley is amazing. Terrible loss.

Check out some of his Mad Season work....

Sadly, he was a messed up dude. Some reports had him at like 95 LBS at his death.

Jerry Cantrell always has been, and still is, the mastermind behind Alice in Chains. Everyone else was/is along for the ride.

Respectfully disagree.

Layne Staley's vocals are one of a kind.

Really? It was a 1992 release. 1992 was the first year more CDs were sold than tapes, but still about 40% of record sales were cassettes.
Yup. The point of the post was indicating how wrong my impression was.

Neil Peart has referred to Sean Kinney as the best drummer in rock and roll. High praise. William does a great job singing and playing rhythm. They have not lost a step and I always felt out of the big 4 bands of Seattle (aic, Soundgarden, Pearl jam, Nirvana) they were by far the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT