ADVERTISEMENT

"DT will listen to Iowa's pitch"

I think the more fun exercise would be who would DT bring as assistant coaches. Dake?

Exactly. Recall how quickly Cael got things rolling at PSU. It would be just as quick if DT went to Iowa.

While Cael is clearly the principal “C” of the Triple C coaching juggernaut at PSU, I believe him when he says that he couldn’t be as successful without Casey and Cody.

IMO, it would take a similar coaching configuration and dynamic for DT or any other Cael protégés to ever match the success of CCC.

This, coming from a HVI respected and good poster @vhsalum over at GIA this morning. He states:

"Now the biggie - yes. Kyven was right. The AD has plans to talk to DT. She is dead serious about WINNING chips again. She's not particularly happy with Tom at the moment. The gambling, the ferrari situation, and this performance - she's holding Tom accountable and will be looking to do what will have us beat carl. She is VERY AWARE of the legacy of Iowa wrestling and how we're falling further behind. Like I told you earlier, she shut down AJ coming in in January - she's not a fan and isn't a fan of Tom's decision to bring the circus in. She also told Tom to get a hold of Terry - it's why he's been "less" in the corners.

Now how this got out? Not sure, but it likely means there are Tom loyalists who wanted it leaked. Because the plan was to wait until after the Olympics to talk to DT. So now that its out, not sure if this will accelerate talks or stop them completely."

"I've heard he'll (DT) "listen" - basically, the offer would have to be everything and more."

"canned"

Interesting rumors for the Monday morning after!
Cael will hire him on psu staff to groom as Caels replacement.

Didn’t someone here say Gabe Arnold’s relative said he never would have considered PSU because their family hates DT. This was when DT had no official role at PSU. Now he would be the boss in this situation lol (and I’m aware Iowa wouldn’t shy away from a big hire because what a wrestler would think)

Reactions: Franklinstheman
On the other hand, if the package deal has fallen apart with the Ferrari clan and Angelo is really alone. How many more schools will come calling him now? Will Cael be interested without the other idiots, and the family circus?
With Levi, Mesenbrink, Facundo, Sealey, Barr, Ryder, Duke, Henckel, Asher, and the Mirasolas either here with multiple years of eligibility or coming in the next 2 years, it's a tough sell to bring in another upper middle weight. If Angelo wants to recruit himself into the room with no guarantees and promises to leave the clown show behind, I'm sure Cael won't say no, but I doubt he would actively pursue him.

No - the family will follow Angelo end of the day, they’d spend extended time in the area whether we like it or not. Cael knew that and never even considered recruiting him solo (Willie referenced it during the hat throw that Cael wouldn’t touch him with a 10 foot pole)

With Levi, Mesenbrink, Facundo, Sealey, Barr, Ryder, Duke, Henckel, Asher, and the Mirasolas either here with multiple years of eligibility or coming in the next 2 years, it's a tough sell to bring in another upper middle weight. If Angelo wants to recruit himself into the room with no guarantees and promises to leave the clown show behind, I'm sure Cael won't say no, but I doubt he would actively pursue him.
There's no way Cael is taking him. Cael didn't even recruit him in the first place.

Sure. The same could be said for a lot of guys who come in to replace a legendary coach (and that's how it seems Hawkeye fans/insiders view Tom). Reality can be a lot different.

We're not talking about simply a HC change. It would have to be a fundamental culture change. And if the program boosters/insiders are resentful of that change or view it as unneccesary, even an uber-talented guy like DT could struggle (relatively speaking).

Tom's contract situation and how it aligns with the next Olympic cycle sets up a Spencer Lee scenario that seems way more plausible than "the new AG is going to throw a bunch of money at DT a few years after Brands signed a contract extension".
Not sure I understand dt having difficulty with culture change? What he says goes and everyone would respect that. He would pick and choose recruits he likes. Dt would kick a$$ there. I sure hope he continues to enjoy his back yard and view of Mt. Nittany.

Didn’t someone here say Gabe Arnold’s relative said he never would have considered PSU because their family hates DT. This was when DT had no official role at PSU. Now he would be the boss in this situation lol (and I’m aware Iowa wouldn’t shy away from a big hire because what a wrestler would think)
Dt wouldn't recruit a gabe Arnold period

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
You older guys might remember that there was a rumor floating around when Gable was racking up the NC titles that Ok State had offered him $1 million to jump ship and come to Ok State. Gable later confirmed that the rumors were true. But he also said he talked to his wife and asked, "Are we making enough money now?" They both agreed they were and that was the end of the discussion.

DT has a pretty good thing going where he is now, and he doesn't have a bunch of spoiled alumni or an impatient AD breathing down his neck to produce better wresters at M2. I have a feeling he will think long and hard even if Iowa makes him a very lucrative offer.
Plus, he just bought a farm and has lots of animals.

Iowa has farms and lots of animals.
200w.gif

Not sure I understand dt having difficulty with culture change? What he says goes and everyone would respect that. He would pick and choose recruits he likes. Dt would kick a$$ there. I sure hope he continues to enjoy his back yard and view of Mt. Nittany.
I don't think there would be an issue with David's ability. I think the issue would be with people not happy with the new AD coming in and firing favorite son Tom Brands.

Look, I don't pretend to have great insights into the Hawkeye program leadership (boosters, funders, etc). But they don't strike me as a group that would be super pumped for the new AD to essentially admit that the Iowa Way is dead (which is what firing Brands and hiring DT would be doing) and cleaning house, top to bottom.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe all they need to do is switch out head coaches and everything will be fine. But, from the outside, the things that have caused the Hawkeyes (and equally important but less often discussed, the HWC) to lose their place as the elite program in American wrestling seem to extend well beyond Tom Brands.

I can’t imagine these rumors would leak unless there is a full blown coaching search coming (as someone said, how would Brands focus on his job?) And obviously they aren’t going to put all their eggs in the DT basket.

So it leads me to think, who would be their top candidates? Doug Schwab, Kevin Dresser? Ben Askren if they want a youth coaching hammer? Hahn?

Reactions: District four
I can’t imagine these rumors would leak unless there is a full blown coaching search coming (as someone said, how would Brands focus on his job?) And obviously they aren’t going to put all their eggs in the DT basket.

So it leads me to think, who would be their top candidates? Doug Schwab, Kevin Dresser? Ben Askren if they want a youth coaching hammer? Hahn?
Sometimes rumors are full-blown nonsense that didn't leak.

MSU isn't just a school in Lansing. It also stands for Made Sh** Up.

While Cael is clearly the principal “C” of the Triple C coaching juggernaut at PSU, I believe him when he says that he couldn’t be as successful without Casey and Cody.

IMO, it would take a similar coaching configuration and dynamic for DT or any other Cael protégés to ever match the success of CCC.
I’m sure you’re correct and I’m also sure DT knows the Cael system well enough to replicate it with the right assistants. DT to Iowa should worry us tremendously from the aspect of being the unchallenged lead dog. Maybe that’s not a bad thing. But I liked winning by 100 points.

Sometimes rumors are full-blown nonsense that didn't leak.

MSU isn't just a school in Lansing. It also stands for Made Sh** Up.
And no matter what, you know this is eating away at TnT, even if not true. He can get all of the "assurances" from the AD or Slumdog that the rumor is not true, but it has to hurt. It should make for another interesting off season in IC.

And the AD has certainly put her foot down it seems. I didn't see a peep from Terry during the BIG10 or NCAA tournament. He is always good for a Meme right around St. Patty's Day. I think I even saw Tom sitting in his chair in the corner. But maybe it was the lack of TV time for Iowa. And the rumor that she nixed the two Focus's from joining the team in January. I'm not certain if I'm a fan of hers or not (firing Kirk's son in Football, and now all of this).

I made the comment this weekend that I didn't see Terry at all. Granted, I didn't pay attention to who was in the corner for all of Iowa's matches, but I didn't see him in the Finals or some other big bouts. Might have just missed him though.

Reactions: CentexLion
Did you seriously just compare Sunderland to Brands?
No, you said ...

"Iowa would pay Taylor $1M when they currently pay Brands $625k?

That's not happening."

I took that to mean that DT wasn't worth an extra 35% increase over Brands considering that when Cael was hired, his percent increase over what PSU was paying Troy was MUCH higher than anything we are talking here. We all know you are worth what someone is willing to pay you. DT is worth a million, and if I was an Iowa fan and wealthy enough, I'd pay to get him here (Iowa). Just simple economics.

This, coming from a HVI respected and good poster @vhsalum over at GIA this morning. He states:

"Now the biggie - yes. Kyven was right. The AD has plans to talk to DT. She is dead serious about WINNING chips again. She's not particularly happy with Tom at the moment. The gambling, the ferrari situation, and this performance - she's holding Tom accountable and will be looking to do what will have us beat carl. She is VERY AWARE of the legacy of Iowa wrestling and how we're falling further behind. Like I told you earlier, she shut down AJ coming in in January - she's not a fan and isn't a fan of Tom's decision to bring the circus in. She also told Tom to get a hold of Terry - it's why he's been "less" in the corners.

Now how this got out? Not sure, but it likely means there are Tom loyalists who wanted it leaked. Because the plan was to wait until after the Olympics to talk to DT. So now that its out, not sure if this will accelerate talks or stop them completely."

"I've heard he'll (DT) "listen" - basically, the offer would have to be everything and more."

"canned"

Interesting rumors for the Monday morning after!
I will take: “things that are full of shit for 500.”

A serious question: beyond a generic "will talk to," why would Iowa prefer hiring Taylor over Burroughs?

They have similar wrestling qualifications. One of them has several years of experience as a D1 assistant coach. The other has never coached outside of his own club.

Also, of all the names floated as Taylor assistants, Dake spent 1 year as a volunteer assistant. So nobody on that staff would have any experience in actually running a program.

Just another reason for skepticism.

And no matter what, you know this is eating away at TnT, even if not true. He can get all of the "assurances" from the AD or Slumdog that the rumor is not true, but it has to hurt. It should make for another interesting off season in IC.

And the AD has certainly put her foot down it seems. I didn't see a peep from Terry during the BIG10 or NCAA tournament. He is always good for a Meme right around St. Patty's Day. I think I even saw Tom sitting in his chair in the corner. But maybe it was the lack of TV time for Iowa. And the rumor that she nixed the two Focus's from joining the team in January. I'm not certain if I'm a fan of hers or not (firing Kirk's son in Football, and now all of this).
If nothing happens, this will happen regardless. It destabilizes Iowa and almost becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

Cael was not an overly exciting wrestler” has to be one of the best insights I’ve ever gleaned from GIA.
Many Hawkeye fans simply have their heads in the sand. Check this out….

Terry to HWC is the right move IMO but the money/donors would have to be there because he would get scooped up as a HC almost anywhere in the country if given the opportunity.” 🤦‍♂️

Many Hawkeye fans simply have their heads in the sand. Check this out….

Terry to HWC is the right move IMO but the money/donors would have to be there because he would get scooped up as a HC almost anywhere in the country if given the opportunity.” 🤦‍♂️
In which case, wonder why UNC hired Koll when Terry applied for the job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT