ADVERTISEMENT

"DT will listen to Iowa's pitch"

Didn’t someone here say Gabe Arnold’s relative said he never would have considered PSU because their family hates DT. This was when DT had no official role at PSU. Now he would be the boss in this situation lol (and I’m aware Iowa wouldn’t shy away from a big hire because what a wrestler would think)
He’s JDen’s cousin and there’s still massive heartburn about sweat-gate and DT’s ill-considered Olympic tweet.

That said - we’ve got multiple recruits at his target weight who will be better than Arnold in college.

I made the comment this weekend that I didn't see Terry at all. Granted, I didn't pay attention to who was in the corner for all of Iowa's matches, but I didn't see him in the Finals or some other big bouts. Might have just missed him though.
He left very quietly and meekly after the Ayala finals match.

Reactions: OzarkLion
It went from “dream school” to “dream job”:

“I had to go back and dig it up, but I recall listening to David Taylor several years ago on the podcast Askren and Tommy Rowlands used to have. They specifically asked him if he would want to coach at Iowa, and he said it was something he would be interested in, one of the dream job positions out there. No idea about any of the rumors here, and the podcast is hypothetical speculation from 7 years ago now, but interesting nonetheless.

The impetus for the question to DT was Askren going into his issue with Iowa's style (basically lack of focus on scrambling), and DT offers his thoughts on the matter. Interesting to listen to regardless.”

The relevant part starts around 45:40.”

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe all they need to do is switch out head coaches and everything will be fine.

Upgrading the HC is a necessary but not sufficient condition to changing the culture at Iowa, IMO.

Some stink requires deep cleaning. And time. Many years ago a gallon of milk tipped over in my car trunk on the way home from the grocery store and got left overnight in the Texas summer heat. The resulting stench was akin to rotten meat and it permeated the whole car.

It took 2 years of trying EVERY conceivable cleanser and cleaning method before the stench was finally gone. And even then it would faintly come back once in a while if the heat and wind were just so.

Moral of the story: It can take 2+ years and lots of work to clean up a big mess. And sometimes it’s perfectly ok to cry over spilled milk.

I can’t imagine these rumors would leak unless there is a full blown coaching search coming (as someone said, how would Brands focus on his job?)
Brands doesn’t worry about what the other guy is doing. He is just going to “wrestle his own match”.

Reactions: danoftw
Nothing is official until we get IRONBIRD's

"It is OVER for the Kittens! Their time last TWOOOOOO long! This is the GAME CHANGER combined with NIL FaCiLiTies and SPENCER WINNING THE OLYMPICS that brings down the empire that the great KRAILURE beat. The wrestlers that BUILT his empire will now BUILD it in WRESTLING MECCA

We saw HUGE cracks in the armor last weekend. BRADEN DAVIS PROVED THE 125 CURSE IS PERMANENT and Nagao didn't AA and Pepe Le Beau proved he can only win when he STEALS it at the end like a CHEATER. Brooks only won because AJ wasn't there to TECH HIM

NOW WE LAUGH AS THE PSU FANS ALL S*** THEMSELVES!"

They’re a top 5 program guys. In a down year. It’s not going to take long, with the right recruiting, to at least be a respected challenger and clear #2 above the rest. And all the things are in place to be a serious threat with the right leadership.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
I can’t imagine these rumors would leak unless there is a full blown coaching search coming (as someone said, how would Brands focus on his job?) And obviously they aren’t going to put all their eggs in the DT basket.

So it leads me to think, who would be their top candidates? Doug Schwab, Kevin Dresser? Ben Askren if they want a youth coaching hammer? Hahn?
I'm far from a Pat Popolizio expert, but that guy would be at the top of my list.

I can’t imagine these rumors would leak unless there is a full blown coaching search coming (as someone said, how would Brands focus on his job?) And obviously they aren’t going to put all their eggs in the DT basket.

So it leads me to think, who would be their top candidates? Doug Schwab, Kevin Dresser? Ben Askren if they want a youth coaching hammer? Hahn?

After watching Brands’ interview after nationals I wouldn’t be surprised if he was told they’re looking around. I certainly don’t follow him closely so maybe I’m misinterpreting his personality but there appeared to be defeat and some half panic/ sadness in his behavior. He was almost crying and never gave a real answer to any question.

Reactions: PASLP2
No, you said ...

"Iowa would pay Taylor $1M when they currently pay Brands $625k?

That's not happening."

I took that to mean that DT wasn't worth an extra 35% increase over Brands considering that when Cael was hired, his percent increase over what PSU was paying Troy was MUCH higher than anything we are talking here. We all know you are worth what someone is willing to pay you. DT is worth a million, and if I was an Iowa fan and wealthy enough, I'd pay to get him here (Iowa). Just simple economics.
A rookie head coach with zero assistant coaching experience is not worth a 35% increase over a Hall of Fame coach's salary that is already at the very top of the market.

It doesn't matter where that money comes from. If Iowa can dredge up that much money from donors, great, and they would be insane to allocate it that way when it could be used in countless other ways: assistant salaries, facilities, the HWC, recruiting budget, NIL, etc.

Also, this is not comparable to Cael replacing Sunderland:
1. Brands has won multiple national titles and is a Hall of Fame coach.
2. Cael spent 6 years coaching at Iowa State (3 assistant + 3 head).
3. Cael had 2 top-3 finishes as a head coach.
4. Taylor has yet to be an assistant or head coach anywhere.
5. PSU was not paying Sunderland anywhere near the top of the market.

Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from another that Brands is toast.

DT would be a fool not to listen. No matter how you feel, Iowa HC is a life changing opportunity. That being said, I’m curious of the caveats seeing how he has never coached at this level, even as an assistant. Watching Cael run his program isn’t enough, we know Cael is huge on everyone doing their job and DT’s job is not coaching. It’s risky (with high reward payout) I imagine DT will want to do things his way, no restrictions on him having to hire a Hawkeye or doing XYZ for boosters.

Similarly, I’m curious how many more years Cael plans to go and that could be a factor in DT’s decision. He’s young but he’s a very hands on coach. I always felt when he feels he can’t hang with his best guys anymore, he’ll call it, unfortunately earlier than some of us might want or hope for.
Not sure a good idea to jump right in as a HC before learning the ropes as an assistant, but it's probably been done before.

Tom Brands may not be the best or most likable coach but he just got 5th out of a scandal-plagued and depleted roster.

Iowa's problems wouldn't be solved by hiring DT.

Put aside Cael vs Brands, which is obviously advantage Cael.

We have the NLWC, we're located in the middle of the best recruiting in America, we have completely dominated recently, and we have the best OTC. You can't go on a visit to Penn State without running into multiple national champs and Olympic medalists.

Even if Iowa hired Cael Sanderson himself, they'd still lack some of the above.

Look, and I say this from OBJECTIVE REALITY, the foreseeable future belongs to Penn State wrestling and a coaching change for Iowa ain't getting them ahead of us for MANY years.

I would keep Brands if I were Iowa because the alternatives aren't better and he isn't that bad. And, on a personal note, I find John Smith more obnoxious.

Reactions: PSUbluTX

Dresser is 61. He would be a great hire, but only if they put a succession plan in place from the start. And if I were Dresser, I'd be very reluctant to do that, knowing that the AD could play that card at any time.

Nothing is official until we get IRONBIRD's

"It is OVER for the Kittens! Their time last TWOOOOOO long! This is the GAME CHANGER combined with NIL FaCiLiTies and SPENCER WINNING THE OLYMPICS that brings down the empire that the great KRAILURE beat. The wrestlers that BUILT his empire will now BUILD it in WRESTLING MECCA

We saw HUGE cracks in the armor last weekend. BRADEN DAVIS PROVED THE 125 CURSE IS PERMANENT and Nagao didn't AA and Pepe Le Beau proved he can only win when he STEALS it at the end like a CHEATER. Brooks only won because AJ wasn't there to TECH HIM

NOW WE LAUGH AS THE PSU FANS ALL S*** THEMSELVES!"

Have we confirmed that Ironbird and Terry Brands are 2 different people?

I think this is the Pokemon character Spencer Lee said Terry reminds him of:

• Haha
Reactions: psu00
Tom Brands may not be the best or most likable coach but he just got 5th out of a scandal-plagued and depleted roster.

Iowa's problems wouldn't be solved by hiring DT.

Put aside Cael vs Brands, which is obviously advantage Cael.

We have the NLWC, we're located in the middle of the best recruiting in America, we have completely dominated recently, and we have the best OTC. You can't go on a visit to Penn State without running into multiple national champs and Olympic medalists.

Even if Iowa hired Cael Sanderson himself, they'd still lack some of the above.

Look, and I say this from OBJECTIVE REALITY, the foreseeable future belongs to Penn State wrestling and a coaching change for Iowa ain't getting them ahead of us for MANY years.

I would keep Brands if I were Iowa because the alternatives aren't better and he isn't that bad. And, on a personal note, I find John Smith more obnoxious.
DT brings Dake, maybe Nolf and Zain or Hall or Joseph or Snyder or Nico, etc. Today’s recruits grew up watching these guys. And he’s shown he can flat out coach; look at his M2 kids tearing it up in college. I think folks are underestimating how big this could be. The money is there, the support is there, the facility, the fans, the brand (no pun intended), etc.

They’re a top 5 program guys. In a down year. It’s not going to take long, with the right recruiting, to at least be a respected challenger and clear #2 above the rest. And all the things are in place to be a serious threat with the right leadership.

giphy.gif

A rookie head coach with zero assistant coaching experience is not worth a 35% increase over a Hall of Fame coach's salary that is already at the very top of the market.

It doesn't matter where that money comes from. If Iowa can dredge up that much money from donors, great, and they would be insane to allocate it that way when it could be used in countless other ways: assistant salaries, facilities, the HWC, recruiting budget, NIL, etc.

500k/yr is still likely 5x what DT makes from running M2. Running a business ain't cheap

Reactions: El-Jefe

Good points. And the reference to John Smith is another data point supporting the view that someone with Brands’ coaching and wrestling creds ain't going anywhere.

Smith is in his ~35th year as HC of Okie State and they haven’t been very relevant outside the B12 for the past 10+ years.

500k/yr is still likely 5x what DT makes from running M2. Running a business ain't cheap
Ryan made $406k in 2023. He's been a head coach for over 25 years, over 15 at Ohio State, and has won a national title. So that is more than what a sane organization would offer Taylor.

I'm sure that if Taylor has genuine interest, Iowa could offer him something significantly more than commensurate with his experience, that also wouldn't be crazy money. $1M/year is crazy money.

I’m sure you’re correct and I’m also sure DT knows the Cael system well enough to replicate it with the right assistants. DT to Iowa should worry us tremendously from the aspect of being the unchallenged lead dog. Maybe that’s not a bad thing. But I liked winning by 100 points.
100 is the new normal. It was in my horoscope on Saturday so it's a fact.

Reactions: AgSurfer and mcpat
Depending on the AD at Iowa, no amount of money would surprise me.

I think you significantly underestimate what some people would do to return to glory. Rationality can and often does go out the window. We can agree to disagree. I don't think this has legs anyway but was fun to discuss on a post-Nationals Monday. Cheers!

DT brings Dake, maybe Nolf and Zain or Hall or Joseph or Snyder or Nico, etc. Today’s recruits grew up watching these guys. And he’s shown he can flat out coach; look at his M2 kids tearing it up in college. I think folks are underestimating how big this could be. The money is there, the support is there, the facility, the fans, the brand (no pun intended), etc.
Like I said, it would be a 2 team war. This should be far scarier for Tom Ryan and others.

Reactions: mcpat
He’s what, 32 years old? I’ll believe that when I see it. David and his wife have a good thing going in PA.
I’ve operated on two farms over the past 30 years. Looking at David’s layout, barn structure, equipment, …. I can say 100% that he is doing very well with M2. There’s very little money to be made in farming. What you got comes from your “other job”. Iowa would have to offer a pant load of cash to blast David out of that situation.

this is so unreal. No head coaching experience except with a club; rooted with farm and 'b$g' via PSWC; business established - his and wife's; 3 kids... and you want to move to Iowa?
The funny thing would be - what will Iowa fans say if he fails after3-4 years... That would be priceless

Think your all forgetting about Spencer or even Jody :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT