ADVERTISEMENT

"DT will listen to Iowa's pitch"

I’d imagine he’d have to sell or close down M2 - total conflict of interest.

He could sell M2 to Zain and Nolf
Is McKnight a full partner? I think he might be. They'd need to add some star power, but I don't see it closing down unless Mark would help DT in I.C.

Reactions: goldenanimal
If this were to happen, there's a lot of crows flying for their lives. DT was part of everything at Penn State. The cheating, the money, the recruiting over, the roids, all of it. How will Iowa ever come to bear it all? Oh, and the calls to the compliance departments, trips to Cali. Lmao.

If this were to happen, there's a lot of crows flying for their lives. DT was part of everything at Penn State. The cheating, the money, the recruiting over, the roids, all of it. How will Iowa ever come to bear it all? Oh, and the calls to the compliance departments, trips to Cali. Lmao.
While an interesting point - I have read many posts on GIA accusing DT’s size growth of not being natural - that’s a small percentage of GIA and GIA is a minuscule percentage of the Iowa fan base.

Reactions: psu00 and Fatmarc
If the entrenched Hawkeye insiders feel that Tom Brands was pushed out or done wrong, good luck to anyone who replaces him.
I’d add that the Gable legacy would be key imo. If Gable endorses the change, I can see it going ok. But if Dan resists the move and/or insists the Iowa culture/Iowa way remains in place then I’d agree that TnT’s replacement will have a hard time.

It seems less likely given how entrenched in the community DT is. That said, I'm even more entrenched here--and if someone offered me >$600,000/year to coach Iowa Wrestling, I'd probably take it. And you guys would rejoice, because I sure as heck wouldn't be very good at it....

Fwiw- Don’t want to give out to much personal information, but someone very close to me is great friends with someone very close to DT. They aren’t going anywhere yet. Yet= the next few years. I’ll never say never, cause people change their minds and plans. Probability of it happening is very low though.

It seems less likely given how entrenched in the community DT is. That said, I'm even more entrenched here--and if someone offered me >$600,000/year to coach Iowa Wrestling, I'd probably take it. And you guys would rejoice, because I sure as heck wouldn't be very good at it....
'If' Iowa were to offer DT it will eclipse 1,000,000/yr. Call me foolish but that is where this is going, and what it would take. IMO. I really hope I am wrong on all accounts.

Fwiw- Don’t want to give out to much personal information, but someone very close to me is great friends with someone very close to DT. They aren’t going anywhere yet. Yet= the next few years. I’ll never say never, cause people change their minds and plans. Probability of it happening is very low though.
Oh yeah? What did DT get at Baskin Robbins last night?

If God would by some miracle allow this abomination, it would be an immediate two level jump in Iowa recruiting. Sadly I might add.
Vhs goes on to speculate:

"His (DT) top assistant would likely be his brother in law Jimmy Kennedy.

Some combination of Dake, Gilman, Zain/Nolf would come. And he'd likely get some guys from the RTC."

db1dfec2-5603-4274-8325-79c62f0d15ad_text.gif

Reactions: vhsalum
Agreed. My statement reflected my opinion that under DT, I highly doubt Anthony or AJ would have ever been in the table, unlike under the current HC.

So, it may work out perfectly for Iowa.
The whole circus surrounding AJ and Fredo this year may be a blessing in disguise for Iowa because those two sociopathic narcissists have all but ruined any leverage the dad had left to force a school to take all three to get Angelo, so Iowa is Angelo's best possible landing spot (and even better if this gets to a point where DT actually goes there), even if the university and AD refuse to let the wayward brothers onto the team.

David seems pretty happy where he is after all money isn't everything!
You older guys might remember that there was a rumor floating around when Gable was racking up the NC titles that Ok State had offered him $1 million to jump ship and come to Ok State. Gable later confirmed that the rumors were true. But he also said he talked to his wife and asked, "Are we making enough money now?" They both agreed they were and that was the end of the discussion.

DT has a pretty good thing going where he is now, and he doesn't have a bunch of spoiled alumni or an impatient AD breathing down his neck to produce better wresters at M2. I have a feeling he will think long and hard even if Iowa makes him a very lucrative offer.

In the end, I think this is the correct answer, too, but this does not conflict in any way with "DT will listen" to their offer. It's going to take an offer perfect enough to change his mind, but Iowa is on a very short list of schools with the resources to make such an offer. Agreed, though, it's a very long shot to actually happen.

This reads to me more like what you hope would happen than what is realistic. Boosters want to win. They would hop on the DT train pretty quick.
If you're accusing me of not wanting Iowa to regain their place atop NCAA wrestling...I'm guilty as charged.

But I don't think I'm inventing any concerns out of whole cloth. There's a reason the "you want to be the man that replaces the man, not the man that replaces the man" (I butchered that, I'm sure) line of thinking exists. You could say "just win and everything will be fine" for every instance in which a program is replacing a major figure at HC. And yet, there are numerous instances where it wasn't that simple.

You older guys might remember that there was a rumor floating around when Gable was racking up the NC titles that Ok State had offered him $1 million to jump ship and come to Ok State. Gable later confirmed that the rumors were true. But he also said he talked to his wife and asked, "Are we making enough money now?" They both agreed they were and that was the end of the discussion.

DT has a pretty good thing going where he is now, and he doesn't have a bunch of spoiled alumni or an impatient AD breathing down his neck to produce better wresters at M2. I have a feeling he will think long and hard even if Iowa makes him a very lucrative offer.
There was this young football coach who was allegedly courted by Michigan and when he turned them down they asked him what he thought about this coach Bo Schemburglar or something. The same guy turned down a heading coaching job at some New England NFL team which included part ownership of the team. Him and his wife liked their current situation.

Of David really wants too coach he might take it. but if he really wants to coach he might talk to Cael first, or maybe he already has?

Reactions: creamery freak
I’m a problem solver…. I have a solution. Hear me out…. I friend Kendra on Face Book. After which I start dropping news articles on my page about crime in and around Iowa City. She will see the headlines while scrolling and subconsciously start to despise the corn state. Problem solved??

The whole circus surrounding AJ and Fredo this year may be a blessing in disguise for Iowa because those two sociopathic narcissists have all but ruined any leverage the dad had left to force a school to take all three to get Angelo, so Iowa is Angelo's best possible landing spot (and even better if this gets to a point where DT actually goes there), even if the university and AD refuse to let the wayward brothers onto the team.
On the other hand, if the package deal has fallen apart with the Ferrari clan and Angelo is really alone. How many more schools will come calling him now? Will Cael be interested without the other idiots, and the family circus?

In the end, I think this is the correct answer, too, but this does not conflict in any way with "DT will listen" to their offer. It's going to take an offer perfect enough to change his mind, but Iowa is on a very short list of schools with the resources to make such an offer. Agreed, though, it's a very long shot to actually happen.
Absolutely, Iowa is a big time program. I’m not sure he’ll even listen though. I think there’s a better chance of him taking a college job if a team like Lehigh came calling at this current time in his life. Someone much closer to State College with a good program.

'If' Iowa were to offer DT it will eclipse 1,000,000/yr. Call me foolish but that is where this is going, and what it would take. IMO. I really hope I am wrong on all accounts.
Iowa would pay Taylor $1M when they currently pay Brands $625k?

That's not happening.

Zain is gonna walk away from his Wall Street job?

People have lots of interesting theories.
I have a a hard time believing any of it. Are we to believe an ad from Iowa just let it slip that she was contacting dt about a head coaching job for their wrestling program without talking with brands first. Doesn't pass the smell test at all in my opinion. Time will tell.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
All will be forgiven once DT ascends the throne

Reactions: psu00 and js8793
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT