ADVERTISEMENT

DT in Spain

CholleyVandine

Dec 19, 2013
Raised: PA D1, Reside: NJ D18
Looks like David Taylor will be in Spain this weekend defending the title he won last year at the Spanish Grand Prix.

All of the men's freestyle is being contested tomorrow, starting at 3 a.m. Eastern time.

If there's a live feed, I can't find a link.

Here's a link to the brackets

Looks like DT is in the biggest bracket (21 competitors).

Other Americans competing are James Green, Zahid Valencia, Seth Gross and Daton Fix.

Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu is traveling with the team as a coach.

Got to love how Tat has assimilated into not only psu and the NLWC but now the us contingent traveling abroad.

Cael can't coach but if there is a better CEO in college wrestling I could appreciate participating in that debate.

"Tat" as you called him, dunk, is doing exactly what he came to PSU to learn...coaching. Sat with him at a banquet, and his rapport with our coaching staff and the wrestlers was amazing. I'm sure there's bits of Cael, Cody, Casey, Tank, and Adam in his "style"...and his English is improving!!

Looks like David Taylor will be in Spain this weekend defending the title he won last year at the Spanish Grand Prix.

All of the men's freestyle is being contested tomorrow, starting at 3 a.m. Eastern time.

If there's a live feed, I can't find a link.

Here's a link to the brackets

Looks like DT is in the biggest bracket (21 competitors).

Other Americans competing are James Green, Zahid Valencia, Seth Gross and Daton Fix.

Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu is traveling with the team as a coach.

Follow the link in our article (not the first one to the brackets, but the one a few paragraphs down). There appear to be links there that will be live streams for each mat once action gets underway.

http://news.theopenmat.com/international-wrestling/taylor-gray-fix-…grand-prix-spain/58429

Franklin Gomez and Jaime Espinal are also in Spain, competing for Puerto Rico.

@FlipsWrestling
@magicman_psu takes out an Iranian in round 1 (6-2) and Zahid in the 1/4s (10-3) to make the semis in Spain.

@wrestlingnomad
David Taylor wins 14-7 over Orgodol Uitumen (MGL) the 8th ranked wrestler in the world at 86kg

DT has Istvan Vereb (HUN), ranked #15 in world, in finals shortly (3 matches), mat one here: http://www.felucha.com/noticias/gpe2016

Hmmm: trying to watch. Mat 1 is a black screen. Is that just the internet being the internet?

Hmmm: trying to watch. Mat 1 is a black screen. Is that just the internet being the internet?
I see others complaining on Twitter but feed's been fine for me. Didn't work on my phone though, had to get out of bed and make my way over to the laptop. The work we put in...

I see that Fix lost his first rd match, what I'm guessing was his first at the senior level. And James Green won his first and is into the semis, which should've happened already but I don't see any results.

@justinhoch
Kuatbek Mukhambet (KAZ) dec Daton Fix (USA) ...something to 1. Can't see scoreboard. 57kg #GPSPAIN

@justinhoch
James Green (USA) dec Kubilay Cakici (GER) 6-5 70kg. #GPSPAIN Looked like ref and mat judge both held up points at end for James, though.

I see others complaining on Twitter but feed's been fine for me. Didn't work on my phone though, had to get out of bed and make my way over to the laptop. The work we put in...

I see that Fix lost his first rd match, what I'm guessing was his first at the senior level. And James Green won his first and is into the semis, which should've happened already but I don't see any results.

@justinhoch
Kuatbek Mukhambet (KAZ) dec Daton Fix (USA) ...something to 1. Can't see scoreboard. 57kg #GPSPAIN

@justinhoch
James Green (USA) dec Kubilay Cakici (GER) 6-5 70kg. #GPSPAIN Looked like ref and mat judge both held up points at end for James, though.

OK - thank you. Maybe its just Spain being Spain

I know this is about DT, but dam Zahid is going to be nasty. Lets go DT.....

according to twitter posts Zahid took DT down and had a 3-0 lead to the end the first. DT then went on a scoring barage in 2nd pd w multiple takedowns and not allowing another point.

But yes Zahid is going to factor at NCAAs this year.

Reactions: jschrantz
They're reviewing, but I can't get Mat 2 up on screen, it's a looping ad for la liga. I can see Mat 2 in the background of the Mat 1 feed though.

I have to watch from mat 1 video so I think I had score wrong. I believe it is 6-6 after dt gave up TD and pushout.

DT wins, I think 8-6 with a late TD; I think he was set to lose on criteria if it remained 6-6.

Dt TD now 8-6.

And that's the winning score.

DT was pushing pace hard. Always first back to center and a loooot of time waiting for opponent return

Reactions: jschrantz
Nice tourney for DT beating world ranked opponents. ...Gets the gold and maybe talked to Dayton fix a little.

Yeah, that's a nice tournament for him, and probably some needed validation for his move up to 86kg. He can go with anyone there.

Reactions: dunkej01
Gomez got 2nd.

Dhesi got silver for canada 125kg.

Usa in 8th place as a team

Worth mentioning that DT's late TD narrowly averted not just a loss but another int'l refereeing disaster as well. The TD that put Taylor up 6-3 (I think) was challenged because it had looked like Hungary could've gotten exposure points on the same move. Taylor won the challenge but was never awarded the point for Hungary's lost challenge. Then Hungary closed it to 6-6 and may have been ahead on criteria (I didn't see how DT scored his early points).

Reactions: dunkej01
Thanks guys...just got home, and in a short 2 minutes knew everything I wanted to about the Spanish Grand Prix.

:)

It's a crying shame they do not have 70kg at the Olympics. Green deserves to be in Rio. Awful to be a tweener.
Agreed...though we came within an eyelash of having no weight classes. Maybe Green and Taylor (pretty sure David is) will hang in there till 2020.

~80kg, right where Kyle Dake would be too...

Dakes body seems to me to be letting him down. As fortunate as he was during his collegiate run to be major injury free he has had at least 3 or 4 major injuries since graduation.

If he is healthy in 2020 I won't be suprised but that at this point the betting man in me says he may not be competing.

If he is competing and healthy I see dake heading back down for 2020 as I think JB is nearing the end of his run. At which point young Mr hall might just be the man to beat for kid dynamite

Reactions: T J
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT