ADVERTISEMENT

Dr scott Lynch files lawsuit against PSU, Barbour, and Franklin

And interesting amount. $50,000????????? That's chump change.

This sounds like his idea of winning whether he wins the lawsuit or not. He doesn't give a sh!t about the money. He just wants to make sure he fu(ks up our season whether he wins the lawsuit or not.
He isn’t actually seeking $50,000 in damages. He is seeking, as the article says, more than $50,000 in damages. $50,000 is the threshold sum one must allege in damages in this particular court to avoid automatic referral to arbitration.

First off I have no clue whether this is legit or not..none of us do. But I can’t help but notice that controversy has followed Franklin before. Once players start talking it will be obvious where this goes.

I brought up a legitimate point as regards Wayne Sebastianelli (a man who can be fairly labeled as a "Paterno Loyalist", for whatever that is worth).

So again - I'll ask. Why exactly did the football program go hire this guy back in March 2019? Especially given the possibility he was a source for that ridiculous SI article in May 2013?

That May 2013 article should have earned a permanent blackball from PSU football for both Sebastianelli and Jay Paterno.
The only blackball needed here involves you and your incessant verbal diarrhea. Maybe they brought Sebastianelli back because he had done a good job for many years and probably never should have been removed in the first place. I know you think otherwise (and never miss a chance to denigrate Joe Paterno or anyone that admires him) but it may surprise you to learn that for a great many (and I suspect this includes Franklin) past association with Joe Paterno is not some sort of scarlet letter.

I'm sure that Coach Franklin and everyone else feels the same way, like having one's name dragged into the mud is just another day at the office.

Well then maybe this shouldnt be the the 4th or 5th time that allegations are coming up with in the athletic department since 2013.

And Im not saying that all falls on him because it most certainly does not. But jesus christ how many times is this? Womens Hockey Gymnastics, Tim Bream, the SI article... like holy ****ing christ.

Remember when our biggest problem was a player jerking off in the stacks or bow & arrow gate. To have those days again.

Last edited:
Why bring it up then? We've seen enough here of the "I know something you don't, but can't say" to last us a lifetime.

I said it to step because he posted it. Its an A-B comment. If window lickers want to know they can pick up a copy of a book, newspaper they find, read it, and then go talk to relevant people and develop friendships that are trustworthy and get to the point where they can ask questions.

Are you in the market to buy a house in the State College Centre County area?

Spent some serious time critiquing the Lynch court filing.

FWIW: And this will likely fall on (99%) deaf ears, folks should REALLY read the court filing .... before potificating (or getting their "sports fan resevoir of stupid" overflowing the dam).
[If ya' wanna' save some time, pick up at page 14 and read through page 17...… then pick up again in the middle of page 20 to the middle of page 22]

This is about MUCH more than CJF/Lynch (that is certainly part of it, but a relatively small part).

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a very favorable supporter of CJF - and always have been. WRT his "part" - I don't know how accurate the filing portrays his actions. I hope that either through misunderstanding or through distortion his actions were much less disconcerting than what one might infer from the court filing.... but who knows.
But THAT part is really the much smaller issue - though it is, obviously, a catalyzing issue.

But putting together the pieces - and the roles of folks like:

Boland
and
Charmel Green (read about her linkages here - and ask yourself "Why the F would she ever be within 100 miles of the actions she is purported to be involved in"?..... and it is enough to make you absolutely dumb-founded)
and
Barbour
(And knowing how the Barbour / Green tag-team monkey humped the Gymnastic Coach, and the Hockey Coach, and the (2nd) Fencing Coach situations ....... it's not hard to imagine that the pattern of behavior continues)

Consider the actions surrounding the original change from Sebastianelli (sp) to Lynch and now back again.... and the statements made by PSU ICA at the times - which make/made NO ****ING SENSE given things we know. (But which ARE congruent with Lynch's filing).

Etc etc etc

I know no one wants to go beyond:
"Bad for Football Team - must be fake news. Ugh"
But would it really hurt to TRY to acquire a more informed outlook?

I certainly do not take the court filing narrative at face value - no one should.
But an intelligent, critical read certainly at least establishes a reasonable foundation that SOMETHING wasn't kosher with the whole situation.
Acknowledging that doesn't mean one has to crucify the entire football program - not by any means - or crucify CJF (and I can understand folks being upset that this will likely be played out in the media as a "CJF issue" …. 'cause don't no one give a shit about Boland, Green, Black, or Barbour. Much like the Paterno issue in that regard.).

Anyway. I tried (and, almost certainly, failed :) )

Oh C. GREEN. Lets see before you posted I said about Gymnastics and Womens Hockey. And what a surprise she was involved in both. Shocked face!

Also I thought that's what you were referring to with, some will look better some will look worse. But I wasn't sure.

Reactions: step.eng69
Why no statement from Franklin on this?
He CAN NOT let the press take the narrative on this one!

Last edited:
Reactions: nits74
So far, no former or current PSU athlete has publically supported Lynch's claim. Interesting.

Why no statement from Franklin on this?
He CAN NOT let the press take the narrative on this one!

He cant comment due to University policy, HIPAA regs, and the fact that its pretty much standard practice in cases like these not to comment. The University has already released a statement explaining their side and backing JF. Any chance Ellis Jordan factors in on this?

We made the Golic Finebaum interview today. They opined on this topic too. Said don’t tie this to the other issues that PSU had, but if true not good fir CJF.

I really hope I’m not watching another PSU football trainwreck.

The University has better look squeaky clean when this is done or I probably will find something else to spend money on in the fall. The shit with Sandusky was terrible no matter how you slice it or rationalize. I am getting a little tired of defending my college team to the world. Had a day to digest this and I find it hard to believe a physician would manufacture this story. CJF and the University should be forthcoming about this steaming pile before it hits the fan.

The University has better look squeaky clean when this is done or I probably will find something else to spend money on in the fall. The shit with Sandusky was terrible no matter how you slice it or rationalize. I am getting a little tired of defending my college team to the world. Had a day to digest this and I find it hard to believe a physician would manufacture this story. CJF and the University should be forthcoming about this steaming pile before it hits the fan.

Well, as long as you took a whole day before concluding that Franklin intentionally endangered athletes to win football games...:rolleyes:

We made the Golic Finebaum interview today. They opined on this topic too. Said don’t tie this to the other issues that PSU had, but if true not good fir CJF.

"Other issues" at PSU?? False narrative aside about those "other issues", then why mention it??

"Hey folks, just ignore that pink elephant over there."

Reactions: nits74

Well, as long as you took a whole day before concluding that Franklin intentionally endangered athletes to win football games...:rolleyes:

That’s not my conclusion — see my other posts. I just have a low threshold for failure given it’s been less than a decade since our last nut-crushing scandal.

I'd love to know the substance of the conversation with the doctor. Imagine a scenario where a kid was hurt and Franklin hadn't been informed of a recovery timeline. It's late in the season, depth is thin and the coach needs to keep his depth chart realistic. If the injured kid can return before the season ends, great. If not, Franklin may need to burn a red shirt. So he asks the doctor, "Hey doc, when will the injured kid be able to suit up and play??" The doctor hears, "Hey doc, get the injured kid back ASAP!!"

Remember when Fries was a freshman and there were injuries on the OL? Many people on this board were pleading for his red shirt to be burned. Franklin even addressed the lack of depth in a PC but said Fries wouldn't be playing. I think it's likely a scenario similar to the one above could very well have taken place.

Of course ESPN couldn't wait to get this on the front page of the website - i need no more reasons to hate them but they way they soft pedals things at OSU and MSU makes you wonder about an agenda.

Yea I was wondering if ESPN was running this across their screen...or even mentioned it...:rolleyes::mad:

"COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Lawyers for men suing Ohio State University over decades-old alleged sexual misconduct by a team doctor say the growing number of accusers has topped 300.

Totals confirmed to The Associated Press put the group's size in the same ballpark as the initial wave of plaintiffs who got $425 million from Michigan State University to settle claims related to Larry Nassar , the now-imprisoned gymnastics doctor accused of molesting hundreds of women and girls.

Of the 300-plus men in the Ohio State matter, some still plan to sue and more than half already are listed plaintiffs in federal lawsuits alleging school officials knew of concerns about the late doctor, Richard Strauss, during his tenure but did little to stop him.

"This is, from our perspective, aside from the Catholic Church, one of the biggest sexual misconduct cases in the country," attorney Michael Wright said Friday.

Wright said his legal team is representing over 100 men, most of them former football players and other Buckeye athletes who say they were sexually abused by Strauss. Many of those aren't among the 177 men who provided firsthand accounts of sexual abuse by Strauss to the law firm that began investigating allegations for the university last year, Wright said."

Here are a few dumb observations and questions. Dumb is all I can muster. :(

1. So the lawsuit doesn't name specific players. Is that necessarily due to HIPPA. :eek: considerations? Would it violate HIPPA. :eek: laws to simply name players in a lawsuit without disclosing their injuries? I figured possible reasons why players are not named are (a) because there is nothing to the claims or (b) the plaintiff does not want these players and their families refuting the allegations in social media ahead of a potential settlement or trial (Miller's mother aside).

2. Could the doctor merely be trying to salvage his reputation with a desperate lawsuit? No college football coach is tighter-lipped with respect to injuries than Franklin. I find it hard to believe that he would refuse to talk to the media about a player's injury or status while, at the same time, pressuring a doctor to get a kid back on the field. That also doesn't mesh with Franklin's reputation for emphasizing relationships (with players and their families) and life beyond football.

3. Related to the second point, it will be interesting to see if anything supporting the allegations comes out. Maybe they are true. Maybe they are false. Maybe it's something in the middle. I'm sure Franklin followed up with the doctor on the status of injured players who were day-to-day or whose status was uncertain. Could the doctor be construing follow-ups, even frequent follow-ups, as pressure to release a kid to play? Merely asking how a kid is doing or if he will be ready for Saturday is not exerting pressure. Could the doctor be distorting the facts to make a case? Time will tell.

Like I said, dumb. :(

"Other issues" at PSU?? False narrative aside about those "other issues", then why mention it??

"Hey folks, just ignore that pink elephant over there."

Gee, this is a great opportunity for Penn State to finally dispel the false narrative related to sandusky. While defending Franklin and Sandy, they could add, "Oh, and the narrative about Joe is all wrong. Here is what really happened..." Yeah, that's what they'll do.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting nugget on Lynch from a 2013 article:

"Being at Penn State has had a tremendous impact on the rest of my life, because it opens up so many other avenues for you,'' said Lynch, who won his 1984 national championship on one good leg -- he tore the ACL in his right knee that year and, well, he just kept going.

"People who see that you are able to overcome things like that, when the odds are against you, they appreciate that and they're willing to help you as long you continue to work hard.''

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2013/10/the_man_with_a_plan_penn_state.html
giphy.gif

Reactions: AvgUser
3. Related to the second point, it will be interesting to see if anything supporting the allegations comes out. Maybe they are true. Maybe they are false. Maybe it's something in the middle. I'm sure Franklin followed up with the doctor on the status of injured players who were day-to-day or whose status was uncertain. Could the doctor be construing follow-ups, even frequent follow-ups, as pressure to release a kid to play? Merely asking how a kid is doing or if he will be ready for Saturday is not exerting pressure. Could the doctor be distorting the facts to make a case? Time will tell.

That's the main point right there. Kaidanov was fired for asking a secretary why she didn't tell him about a rolled up piece of athletic tape. Asking a benign question about a player's condition must be a no-no as well, to some people anyway..

Not so sure. He's still on the staff at Milton Hershey and I don't know how much, if any, comp he received fro being the team doctor.
I'm not sure if I understand the compensation / effort on pg. 47 (Exhibit 1) of the filing, but is his total compensation $654 k? In the effort allocation, states his time as 49% to the ICA. Does this reflect that 49% of total comp is for the ICA medicine show?

Last edited:

I heard that as well (listened for about 1 minute before that insufferable Wingo started his schtick) and noticed that Golic left out “alleged” when discussing the situation. That is where I felt the Sandusky situation turned ugly. The media folks went from “if this was known and not handled properly” to “they knew and did nothing!” within 3 or 4 days.
I will say this about the situation. If Franklin was actively pressuring the doctor to clear injured players to play (“I need player x on the field Saturday! I don’t care if he has a knee injury!”) or if he was pushing the admins to remove Lynch because he wouldn’t clear injured players to play, then he should be fired. If he was questioning the doctor’s decisions (“You sure he can’t play with that? I’ve had players before play with that.”, then I would think it’s a doctor with a bruised ego. I haven’t seen anything of Franklin to believe the first option but I am certainly willing to listen to what people say.

Last edited:
It's as if he became some medical extremist, and Franklin's simple inquiries were major points of contention with Lynch. He reported it to anyone he could, but all of them knew there was no issue. It got to the point that everyone wanted a change.

I think you more or less got it. Seems that Lynch didn't like the frequency or and/or tone of Franklin's interactions with him, complained to anyone and everyone, got rebuffed, then replaced, and decided to sue.

I am far from an insider, but reading between the lines, this appears to have been what has played out.

Joyner replaced Sebastianelli (hereafter Dr S) with Lynch for multiple reasons (my opinion) ranging from he originally wanted the job (see SI article) to Dr S being a Paterno guy. I know for a fact that players really respected/liked Dr S (I am friends with a former player who hurt his knee several years after graduation and went back to PA from out of state to have Dr S do his surgery).

Lynch may have been fine, but there were some fairly high profile "retirements due to injury" over the past few seasons. I'm not saying that was Lynch's fault, but it is possible that the players did not like/trust him as much as former players did Dr S.

If the football program wanted to make a change, that's their choice. I think Lynch was bitter that a "Paterno guy" was replacing him (recall, this goes back to beef with Joyner and Lynch is obviously "Joyner's guy") and decided to file a frivolous suit.

I'm sure Franklin inquires about the health of his players. Maybe they didn't communicate well and Lynch took his inquiries the wrong way. Or maybe Franklin is the exact opposite of who we think he is. One option seems more likely than the other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT