ADVERTISEMENT

Don't uncork that champagne just yet...

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
LOL. The woofing gods, and the Sharks, have provided their answer. Back to San Jose..

Go Sharks and Go Noobs!

LOL. The woofing gods, and the Sharks, have provided their answer. Back to San Jose..

Go Sharks and Go Noobs!
I don't know if I have ever seen a team so completely outplay their opponent and lose

They play anywhere like that on Sunday, and I don't think Pittsbutgh has much to worry about

As well as the Shark tender played, only friendly posts and the hockey Gods prevented the Penguins from lighting the lamp 7 or 8 times tonight
Gonna be another tough decision for Sullivan in game 6, Murray was rarely challenged, and 2 of the 3 goals allowed were clunkers

Go Sharks and Go Noobs!
I think you mean Jones. Talk about stealing a game. Your Conn Smythe prediction just might become reality even if they lose.

I don't know if I have ever seen a team so completely outplay their opponent and lose

They play anywhere like that on Sunday, and I don't think Pittsbutgh has much to worry about

As well as the Shark tender played, only friendly posts and the hockey Gods prevented the Penguins from lighting the lamp 7 or 8 times tonight
Gonna be another tough decision for Sullivan in game 6, Murray was rarely challenged, and 2 of the 3 goals allowed were clunkers
No tough decision. Murray plays. Tried Fleury once and look what happened. That would be a panic move. Agree with everything else.

Go Sharks and Go Noobs!
San Jose is no where near as good as the Penguins. My gosh do they ever get outplayed. It's not if the Pens will win but when.

The Pens have the better team from end to end. Jones has been out of his guard in the net, though. 44 saves tonight. I honestly believe it is bad juju to plan victory parades, talk about Conn Smythe preferences, and other stuff like that before you have that fourth and final win.

I remember what happened to the Lakers and their then owner (Jack Kent Cooke) in the late 60's, when they had three wins in hand and were playing the Celtics at home in Game 6. Cooke had a sheytload of balloons inflated and suspended in a net hung from the rafters of the Forum, in anticipation of a victory and big post game balloon drop. It never happened. The Celtics took that game and the next to win the NBA Title, yet again.

Reactions: john4psu
Kessel's whiff at a point-blank empty net was the difference. No doubt he and Murray have been outstanding all post-season, but their mistakes tonight cost the Pens. Time will tell if Mo pulls on the teal jersey going forward.

San Jose is no where near as good as the Penguins. My gosh do they ever get outplayed. It's not if the Pens will win but when.

I beg to differ. The Sharks win this series in seven. Pens had their chance tonight and blew it. Sharks will dominate from here on out because all the pressure will be on the Pens.

[QUOTE="LafayetteBear, post: 1887186, member: 7896. I honestly believe it is bad juju to plan victory parades, talk about Conn Smythe preferences, and other stuff like that before you have that fourth and final win.
.[/QUOTE]

No one who laced up skates tonight spent 2 seconds worrying about parades and trophies

All the talking heads had no impact on the game tonight
The guys who did put on the black and gold tonight were focused, dominant, and (aside from the rookie goalie) MUCH better than their opponent. Doesn't sound like a squad that was negatively impacted by the possibility of winning the cup

That game was rough. Totally dominated play and still couldn't pull it out. I knew it was going to be a long one after hitting two posts on the same power play.

Posts are one thing (or two things as it were)...Kessel's whiff was the one that makes you scratch your head. They go up 3-2 there, and the Sharks are toast. So as great as Jones played, he had a little help as well. He's good, but he's not Patrick Roy....don't think he can carry it over to Sunday but if he does, the Pens are going to have to earn #4 the hard way.

Posts are one thing (or two things as it were)...Kessel's whiff was the one that makes you scratch your head. They go up 3-2 there, and the Sharks are toast. So as great as Jones played, he had a little help as well. He's good, but he's not Patrick Roy....don't think he can carry it over to Sunday but if he does, the Pens are going to have to earn #4 the hard way.
In fairness, the puck bounced up just as he was making contact - was only able to push it with the top of the blade
Hockey Gods definitely looking out for the Sharks

It happens sometimes

I beg to differ. The Sharks win this series in seven. Pens had their chance tonight and blew it. Sharks will dominate from here on out because all the pressure will be on the Pens.

No idea what you've seen from San Jose through 5 games to indicate they'll dominate anything.

Jones is surely capable of being a difference maker but he's been bombed for 90 shots in their 2 wins. That's not exactly a blueprint for success....yet these were the Sharks bringing their "A" game?

If Jones is anything less than phenomenal these games are laughable blowouts and Pens sweep. Bottom line - if Pens come out with this effort the rest of the way, SJ isn't winning 3 in a row.

Regardless of who wins the Cup, my Conn Smythe nominee is ....
The Goal Posts! They have been phenominal throughout this series.

I am just distraught after last night. Game 5 should have been the winner, and Murray was terrible. The word is out - you beat him on the wraparound. He has no clue how to defend the post. I hate his interviews after a loss - it's always the same, 'I didn't think I played badly at all'. I got news for you - you gave up a wraparound AGAIN and you gave up one that got between your glove and your body AGAIN. 2 goals on the first three shots. SJ only had what, 22 for the game, and 3 went in? that's like an .850 save percentage, which is lousy.

SJ wins Game 6 on home ice, and back to Pittsburgh for Game 7, the Pens will do what they always do - choke. Malkin had a goal last night, but he has not done much in the Final, although it's been a lot more than The Captain, who has done nothing.

I am just distraught after last night. Game 5 should have been the winner, and Murray was terrible. The word is out - you beat him on the wraparound. He has no clue how to defend the post. I hate his interviews after a loss - it's always the same, 'I didn't think I played badly at all'. I got news for you - you gave up a wraparound AGAIN and you gave up one that got between your glove and your body AGAIN. 2 goals on the first three shots. SJ only had what, 22 for the game, and 3 went in? that's like an .850 save percentage, which is lousy.

SJ wins Game 6 on home ice, and back to Pittsburgh for Game 7, the Pens will do what they always do - choke. Malkin had a goal last night, but he has not done much in the Final, although it's been a lot more than The Captain, who has done nothing.

That first goal was amazing and lucky. Murray was on the post and left about two inches open as the shot was made. The puck turned vertical and squeezed into that opening. If that puck stays flat, it probably doesn't get in (it surely would have hit something). And the wrap around in the previous game, shooter never looked, he just threw it at the net and it was over Murray's shoulder with no time to react.

Hockey is funny. honestly, you just shoot at the net. if you are really good, you aim for the corners, at the goalie's weakness. But you really just hope for a rebound with an uncovered forward and a goalie out of position.

In the third period, Pens missed THREE goals if they would have just lifted the puck a couple of feet off the ice. For whatever reason, they kept pushing the puck into Jone's leg pads. I guess they didn't have time and just reacted.
Regardless, like baseball, there is luck involved and you hope to win 60 to 70 % of the time. I thought the Pens outplayed them but Sharks got a little lucky. Pens got lucky in game two.

Murray wasn't terrible. Not saying he was great by any stretch, but he had a bad first minute really. No chance on the 2nd goal that was tipped, and the 3rd one came in an area the goalie may only get 50% of the time.

If we were going to say Murray would give up 1 goal in the last 57 minutes and the Pens were to outshoot SJ 44-17 over that time, I'd say that game should be a blowout and that start would be a nothing more than a hiccup.

As for his interviews post game, I'd much rather see a goalie display that confidence than sulk. He responded to this situation from game 3 to game 4.

IMO, playing at home in the post season has been a real mixed bag for the Pens. I like their road game much better. Less distraction and more focus......probably what they needed in the first couple of minutes last night but I have an awfully hard time seeing anything wrong with their overall game. That same effort lands a W regardless of Murray's lapses 95% of the time. I'd take those odds because the Pens have been the clear better team in each game in this series, and they respond from losses better than ever.. It's not like even when given a pulse that SJ has responded with their own dominance for any amount of extended time in this series.

Reactions: 81b&w
Murray wasn't terrible. Not saying he was great by any stretch, but he had a bad first minute really. No chance on the 2nd goal that was tipped, and the 3rd one came in an area the goalie may only get 50% of the time.

If we were going to say Murray would give up 1 goal in the last 57 minutes and the Pens were to outshoot SJ 44-17 over that time, I'd say that game should be a blowout and that start would be a nothing more than a hiccup.

As for his interviews post game, I'd much rather see a goalie display that confidence than sulk. He responded to this situation from game 3 to game 4.

IMO, playing at home in the post season has been a real mixed bag for the Pens. I like their road game much better. Less distraction and more focus......probably what they needed in the first couple of minutes last night but I have an awfully hard time seeing anything wrong with their overall game. That same effort lands a W regardless of Murray's lapses 95% of the time. I'd take those odds because the Pens have been the clear better team in each game in this series, and they respond from losses better than ever.. It's not like even when given a pulse that SJ has responded with their own dominance for any amount of extended time in this series.

All good points....the problem on the road is going to be that SJ will bring out the sloppy ice again. This slows down the Pens' superior passing game. And if you come back for a game seven, its really anybody's ball game (without a ball, of course).

I agree the Sharks aren't as good but I'm not sure that matters. I still remember the 1960 World Series. The Yankees were the better team. The Pirates won 4 games by a grand total of 7 runs and 2 of their wins were by a single run. The Yankees won 3 games by a total of 35 runs and their closest win was a 10-0 victory in game 3. The Pirates just found a way to win. San Jose may do the same. I think this series will go 7 games and if it does, game 7 is a crap shoot.

Reactions: Corabi94
Zero goals. Two assists. You need a hell of a lot more from the supposed 'best player in the world'.

He would have a lot more assists if his teammates could actually finish and the SJ goalie wasn't playing out of his mind last night.

If you can't see what he is doing out there and what the impact would be if he wasn't out there, then I don't know what else to say.

To say he has done nothing is nonsense.

Reactions: 81b&w
Lol what? Crosby has been dominating and creating numerous opportunities.
Yep, The best player on the ice has "done nothing"?

LOL
That was a doozy

Its probably like the Super Bowl....when a bunch of folks who haven't a clue what they are watching tune in - and then provide "commentary"
Probably a bunch of folks who haven't seen two hockey games in the last five years......now tune in because its the Stanley Cup Finals, look at the box score, and say stupid crap like that.

off the top of my head, Crosby set up his line mates at least 3 times last night including a glorious opportunity to Sheary that Jones saved. He has been the farthest thing from the problem in this series and he had 3 GWG in the last series. Stink is probably right. Crosby has no goals? He's terrible! Trade him now!

off the top of my head, Crosby set up his line mates at least 3 times last night including a glorious opportunity to Sheary that Jones saved. He has been the farthest thing from the problem in this series and he had 3 GWG in the last series. Stink is probably right. Crosby has no goals? He's terrible! Trade him now!
Setting up guys like Sheary is the problem. Sheary is making the league minimum, he's a rookie and he scored 7 goals in half a season with the Pens. He's a non-factor. Instead of setting up guys who haven't proven anything Crosby has to carry the team by himself and score some goals.

You can insult me all you like. I see a lot more than two games every five years as was mentioned above. For starters I'm a season ticket holder for Penn State Hockey. One thing I know is, in hockey, your stars have to be stars. You need contributions from all lines, and the Pens have gotten great production especially from the second and third lines. But if your stars aren't scoring, it's brutal trying to win.

Its hard to get to the Finals and its hard to win. It doesn't happen too often. When you get an opportunity, the stars HAVE to kick the door down. Nobody is paying Crosby $12MM to dish to Conor Freakin' Sheary - especially when he can't cash.

And by the way, Sid has scored 9 goals in his last 46 playoff games. That is just flat out not good enough.

Setting up guys like Sheary is the problem. Sheary is making the league minimum, he's a rookie and he scored 7 goals in half a season with the Pens. He's a non-factor. Instead of setting up guys who haven't proven anything Crosby has to carry the team by himself and score some goals.

You can insult me all you like. I see a lot more than two games every five years as was mentioned above. For starters I'm a season ticket holder for Penn State Hockey. One thing I know is, in hockey, your stars have to be stars. You need contributions from all lines, and the Pens have gotten great production especially from the second and third lines. But if your stars aren't scoring, it's brutal trying to win.

Its hard to get to the Finals and its hard to win. It doesn't happen too often. When you get an opportunity, the stars HAVE to kick the door down. Nobody is paying Crosby $12MM to dish to Conor Freakin' Sheary - especially when he can't cash.

And by the way, Sid has scored 9 goals in his last 46 playoff games. That is just flat out not good enough.
Sports fans

Oh boy!

Reactions: psu4343

I didn't mean to insult you personally. I apologize. You're right. Those numbers suck, but Crosby was responsible for the win in game 2 and he's simply not going to score a lot of goals in the playoffs. The other team is playing for the same thing and the best defensemen are going to be locked in on him most of the time. I agree he shouldn't have to be setting up the likes of Sheary but its not on him to draft or sign his line mates. That's something management has been effing up since 2008. Finally, Crosby will never be Lemieux in that he can't consistently shrug guys off. Lemieux was a beast so he could toss guys aside more easily and Crosby doesn't have that luxury. Crosby's teams also have one more Cup final under their belt and I would be the first to say he needs to do more but in these last two series he has done enough to win.

Reactions: WyomingLion
I didn't mean to insult you personally. I apologize. You're right. Those numbers suck, but Crosby was responsible for the win in game 2 and he's simply not going to score a lot of goals in the playoffs. The other team is playing for the same thing and the best defensemen are going to be locked in on him most of the time. I agree he shouldn't have to be setting up the likes of Sheary but its not on him to draft or sign his line mates. That's something management has been effing up since 2008. Finally, Crosby will never be Lemieux in that he can't consistently shrug guys off. Lemieux was a beast so he could toss guys aside more easily and Crosby doesn't have that luxury. Crosby's teams also have one more Cup final under their belt and I would be the first to say he needs to do more but in these last two series he has done enough to win.
JJ no need to apologize but thank you. SSS, who I like a lot, got under my skin a little. You're fine. I like spirited discussions especially when the other person brings some points and thought to the table. And you're 100% right - I focus everything thru the Mario prism; he was a hell of a lot bigger than SC and could dominate opponents 1-on-1 a lot better than Sid can. That's why he's no worse than the second best player ever.

A little story from Thursday. I was very confident that the Penguins would win game 5, I felt they were focused, had the intensity, and were motivated to clinch at home that night. Ticket prices were rediculously high following Game 4 Pens victory setting stage to clinch the Stanley at home. I kept going back and forth about going to the game, with prices so high, and finally I decided it just wasn't worth it. Pricing for tickets for decent seats were going for $1,200 to $5g a piece. But then mid-day, hours before the game, I started really getting the urge to go. It was a beautiful day and the excitement for the game was sizzling everywhere. Had my pens gear on at work , even put my dog in his Pens stuff. :) At 3:00, I finally told my assistant I was going to pull the plug, and go for it, throwing out the big bucks for tickets. Was Feeling great!

So I went home to shower and pack up. I called my buddy to see where we were on tickets, we were waiting a bit as prices coming down as game time neared. . As we talked he told me how everyone/media were picking the Pens to win. We talked for a while about that, and I began to think about the game more in a different view. There I was at home, getting ready to leave for the game, and I just kept thinking and thinking about Vegas and everyone picking Pens. Although I am not a big gambler, I follow it close enough to know that in professional sports, when a game is considered a slam dunk by the so called experts, and everyone bets heavy on the favorite, it often goes the other way.

After about 20 minutes of thought, I convinced myself that this wasn't a sure win, and decided the outlay just wasn't worth the risk, and to stay home and watch the game. With my confidence in a Pens win clearly shaken, my thnking was that although the ticket prices were almost too much to see them clinch, it would be idiotic to pay that amount and see them lose. I would really be pissed at myself.

This morning I woke up a little sad about the loss, but good in the fact that I didn't blow a wad. Sorta like gambling, going down big, and slowing winning it back to a break even. Not happy, but not sad.

So Vegas won, NBC got another game, the NHL made out, the Pens made big money, the bars all get another big crowd, and the Sharks get one more home game. Seems like everyone made out on this deal, except for the poor fans who spent all the money on those tickets.

So now we move on, the Pens will clinch Sunday night. Murray's 5-0 in playoffs after a Pens loss.

Let's Go Pens!

A little story from Thursday. I was very confident that the Penguins would win game 5, I felt they were focused, had the intensity, and were motivated to clinch at home that night. Ticket prices were rediculously high following Game 4 Pens victory setting stage to clinch the Stanley at home. I kept going back and forth about going to the game, with prices so high, and finally I decided it just wasn't worth it. Pricing for tickets for decent seats were going for $1,200 to $5g a piece. But then mid-day, hours before the game, I started really getting the urge to go. It was a beautiful day and the excitement for the game was sizzling everywhere. Had my pens gear on at work , even put my dog in his Pens stuff. :) At 3:00, I finally told my assistant I was going to pull the plug, and go for it, throwing out the big bucks for tickets. Was Feeling great!

So I went home to shower and pack up. I called my buddy to see where we were on tickets, we were waiting a bit as prices coming down as game time neared. . As we talked he told me how everyone/media were picking the Pens to win. We talked for a while about that, and I began to think about the game more in a different view. There I was at home, getting ready to leave for the game, and I just kept thinking and thinking about Vegas and everyone picking Pens. Although I am not a big gambler, I follow it close enough to know that in professional sports, when a game is considered a slam dunk by the so called experts, and everyone bets heavy on the favorite, it often goes the other way.

After about 20 minutes of thought, I convinced myself that this wasn't a sure win, and decided the outlay just wasn't worth the risk, and to stay home and watch the game. With my confidence in a Pens win clearly shaken, my thnking was that although the ticket prices were almost too much to see them clinch, it would be idiotic to pay that amount and see them lose. I would really be pissed at myself.

This morning I woke up a little sad about the loss, but good in the fact that I didn't blow a wad. Sorta like gambling, going down big, and slowing winning it back to a break even. Not happy, but not sad.

So Vegas won, NBC got another game, the NHL made out, the Pens made big money, the bars all get another big crowd, and the Sharks get one more home game. Seems like everyone made out on this deal, except for the poor fans who spent all the money on those tickets.

So now we move on, the Pens will clinch Sunday night. Murray's 5-0 in playoffs after a Pens loss.

Let's Go Pens!
You jinxed them :)

Reactions: wslee1
off the top of my head, Crosby set up his line mates at least 3 times last night including a glorious opportunity to Sheary that Jones saved.

That was a frickin' beautiful pass. Crosby put it on the money. Jones just made a good save. That was some high level hockey there.

Reactions: WyomingLion

Seriously, you have got to be kidding! Even the Sid the Kid haters have talked about his play, scoring isn't everything. Dominating the play down low keeps the other team from scoring chances. Note the shot totals.

It's impossible to have a rational thread with Flyer fans posting hate on the Pens.

Keep it separated my Philly brothers, please!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT