ADVERTISEMENT

Football Dominic Deluca now on scholarship

Congrats to the young man, but seems odd given potential scholarship numbers crunch depending on what happens with the portal. Don't they typically do this kind of thing at the end of the spring or going into the fall?

Reactions: bdgan
Sounds like LBs will be leaving. Sutherland is out of eligibility. Jacobs probably declares. Katshir probably leaves. Wouldn't be shocked if Buddin hits the portal.

De Luca is likely the starting Sam next year if Jacobs declares. He's around the ball every time he is in. Full speed, 100% effort kid.

My buddy and I were just talking today about how he deserved a scholarship. He is better than a couple current guys and while not the stars, he makes plays. My guess is Jacobs and at least 1 other LB move on

Katshir is a senior and wont' be offered a 5th year. I could see Budden being carefronted as appears he is behind everybody in PT this year.

I think Jacobs stays.

DeLuca was the second team OLB and showed some legit flashes. 100% that he would portal out to at least a G5 school and get a full schollie so it was either PSU give him a schollie or lose him. And with him on schollie, he has a legit shot with an offseason of the full S&C & nutrition program to put on 10 pounds of muscle and get into that 220 pound range be a legit OLB prospect.

Katshir is a senior and wont' be offered a 5th year. I could see Budden being carefronted as appears he is behind everybody in PT this year.

I think Jacobs stays.

DeLuca was the second team OLB and showed some legit flashes. 100% that he would portal out to at least a G5 school and get a full schollie so it was either PSU give him a schollie or lose him. And with him on schollie, he has a legit shot with an offseason of the full S&C & nutrition program to put on 10 pounds of muscle and get into that 220 pound range be a legit OLB prospect.

If #s crunch forces it, I would prefer it go how you have written.

Reactions: bison13

I think Jacobs stays.

Katshir was in the 2018 class and 2022 was already his 5th year. And with the development of a couple of they younger LB's (Carter, King) and the 3 incoming talented LB's no way there is a scholarship available for Katshir. JMO.

I also believe Jacobs stays. He's just not big enough to play LB in the NFL at this point.

DeLuka has done a pretty good job as the backup to Jacobs and Sutherland, but I'm not sold on him starting next season. Hopefully Jacobs comes back and the 2023 LB's, keys or Rojas, are ready to take over in 2024. From what I have read Keys will start out practicing at Sam, Robinson at Mike, and Rojas at Will.

And it would not surprise me to see either or both of Buddin and Elsdon move on. Buddin is still young but he couldn't beat our DeLuka for playing time at Sam, and Elsdon has consistently been a step slow when he's on the field. With 3 incoming LB's, really 4 with the DeLuka scholarship, it makes sense for at least 2-3 to be moving on. Sutherland, Katshir, and ????

The program has a moral “obligation” to play the best players and offer scholarships to those who have earned it.

Meritocracy.

Asking the question “Can we keep him without scholarship loss” should be followed with “Yeah, maybe, but we aren’t gonna do that”

Good job, CJF - a long time critic.

Sounds like LBs will be leaving. Sutherland is out of eligibility. Jacobs probably declares. Katshir probably leaves. Wouldn't be shocked if Buddin hits the portal.

De Luca is likely the starting Sam next year if Jacobs declares. He's around the ball every time he is in. Full speed, 100% effort kid.
Jacobs leaving early would be a big blow to PSU defense. I saw him as the 270th (free agent) pick on one site

Penn State has placed walk-on linebacker Dominic DeLuca on.

Well deserved. Kid is a good athlete with very good instincts. May develop into elite before he leaves here.
—Called out by Ham several times on radio broadcasts. I trust my own judgment a lot….but I trust his way more, especially with re: to LB’s 😂

This kid is a football player. Moves to a brand new position, undersized and still makes plays. If he can put on 20 pounds he has the instincts to be very good.

Reactions: bison13
Jacobs leaving early would be a big blow to PSU defense. I saw him as the 270th (free agent) pick on one site

I by no means want Jacobs to leave. I don't think he has Brandon Smith's combine prowess, so he could definitely use another year in Manny's defense as well as another 5-7 lbs.

I still think we have a slight hole at Mike. Hoping Kobe King can take a big step in year 3 and that Wylie can provide depth in year 2. Does Elsdon return? Is there a grad transfer in the portal?

I by no means want Jacobs to leave. I don't think he has Brandon Smith's combine prowess, so he could definitely use another year in Manny's defense as well as another 5-7 lbs.

I still think we have a slight hole at Mike. Hoping Kobe King can take a big step in year 3 and that Wylie can provide depth in year 2. Does Elsdon return? Is there a grad transfer in the portal?

While Eldson is somewhat maddening...like the missed opportunity on one of Utahs red zone plays...I think we are better with him on the roster just in case. Dude reeks of Geno Capone at times but is still young and may develop into a regular contributor, especially against bigger lines.

If he were to portal....where would he go? AAC school or maybe Wake/Vandy/NW? TCU had a lax guy transfer LB from the Naval Academy starting (#51 if I recall). Guy made some big plays but also got beaten more than a few times. Eldson would have to be considered to be better at this point in his career than that guy was this time last year. But he is playing Monday night ...

Reactions: lazydave841
While Eldson is somewhat maddening...like the missed opportunity on one of Utahs red zone plays...I think we are better with him on the roster just in case. Dude reeks of Geno Capone at times but is still young and may develop into a regular contributor, especially against bigger lines.

If he were to portal....where would he go? AAC school or maybe Wake/Vandy/NW? TCU had a lax guy transfer LB from the Naval Academy starting (#51 if I recall). Guy made some big plays but also got beaten more than a few times. Eldson would have to be considered to be better at this point in his career than that guy was this time last year. But he is playing Monday night ...

Truth be told, we can only hope Elsdon reaches Capones level. Elsdon made 44 tackles this year; Capone made over 100 his final season. Granted, he was generally getting drove backwards, but he at least read the gaps and held on enough to get credit for a tackle.

Elsdon showed promise vs Utah. He started making the reads better. He was #2 in tackles for the game, but he seems to stand out more for the ones he missed. 2 of which he had the RB dead to rights and just didn't wrap up.

Perhaps it's youth. He could explode next year as a RS Jr. The key is going to be how Kobe and Wylie develops. Hopefully they all push each other to be better.

As far as leaving, again, no clue. I don't see him going to a top 20 school, but definitely top 20-40 who needs a LB would offer.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Truth be told, we can only hope Elsdon reaches Capones level. Elsdon made 44 tackles this year; Capone made over 100 his final season. Granted, he was generally getting drove backwards, but he at least read the gaps and held on enough to get credit for a tackle.

Elsdon showed promise vs Utah. He started making the reads better. He was #2 in tackles for the game, but he seems to stand out more for the ones he missed. 2 of which he had the RB dead to rights and just didn't wrap up.

Perhaps it's youth. He could explode next year as a RS Jr. The key is going to be how Kobe and Wylie develops. Hopefully they all push each other to be better.

As far as leaving, again, no clue. I don't see him going to a top 20 school, but definitely top 20-40 who needs a LB would offer.

Your development point is a good one. I remember when we got Rob Holmberg out of Navy as a WR. He switched to LB and was was OK for us, but ended up having a long NFL career where he blossomed.

Trot Reeder started too early for us and got pushed around/ missed assignments and transferred to UDelaware. Yeah he wanted to play with his brother blah blah etc. but the fact is that he developed into a (marginal) NFL player.

Hopefully Tyler steps up...I see similarities between he and Troy.

Reactions: lazydave841

I don't see holding off King going into 2023. And I'm not discounting Robinson coming in for Spring and being able to blow by Elsdon on the depth chart at Mike either. Elsdon has had 3 years to develop and still consistently misses tackles. He also seems to be not very big or fast for the position, and the position requires a sure tackler which he is not.

If Jacobs returns, along with Carter, Mike LB is the missing position in order to field a great LB unit and I don't see Elsdon being the player to complete the unit. But Elsdon reportedly is a hard worker so if he returns it seems he'll keep battling for playing time.

My memory of Cappone was of him making a bunch of tackles after 5-10 yard runs. Not what Diaz wants in the middle of his much more aggressive and athletic defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: NittanyChris
While Eldson is somewhat maddening...like the missed opportunity on one of Utahs red zone plays...I think we are better with him on the roster just in case. Dude reeks of Geno Capone
Capone takes a lot of unwarranted criticism.

In 2002, Capone was named second-team All-Big Ten, and he followed that up with a 100-tackle performance in his final season. The North Schuylkill native was signed by the Vikings following the 2004 NFL Draft.

Respectfully disagree. Elsdon was simply god awful vs Utah. Stats don’t tell the whole story. Kobe King has improved significantly and hopefully will get the majority of snaps at M LB next year. DeLuca is smart, has a nose for the ball and is a good tackler. He could be a useful player, better than Sutherland IMO. Really hoping Jacobs stays. I think he will.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Respectfully disagree. Elsdon was simply god awful vs Utah. Stats don’t tell the whole story. Kobe King has improved significantly and hopefully will get the majority of snaps at M LB next year. DeLuca is smart, has a nose for the ball and is a good tackler. He could be a useful player, better than Sutherland IMO. Really hoping Jacobs stays. I think he will.
As I just finished watching the re-run..... Also saw Katshir #45 in the game. Box score shows him with an assist tackle, but the play I noticed him, he got knocked to the ground and the Utah RB ran right by....

Wylie in his 2nd year in 2023, King improving, Robinson and Rojas enrolling in January along with Keys arriving in the summer. Maybe Buddin makes a move. And can't forget about Mills practicing at LB, likely Sam, this season while he redshirted. The next wave of LB's is coming.....

Reactions: Ian

Agree - the kid is a ball player…simple as that.

DeLuca is the kind of kid Joe would have given one of the last scholarships to and then after a redshirt year, freshman year and sophomore year on scout and special teams, then junior year plays with the 2's and senior year starts and makes all conference.

From what I saw this season DeLuka played better at LB in 2022 than either Katshir or Elsdon. And DeLuka will be a redshirt soph next season so he has a chance to get stronger and continue to develop. So this looks like DeLuka's scholarship will likely be for multiple years, although I believe scholarships given to walk on's must be renewed yearly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT