ADVERTISEMENT

Do DIV 1 athletes still receive a stipend?

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
With the inception of NIL I no longer see any mention of stipends. Did NIL cancel those out or lessen the amounts?

Even though they are fed extremely well the stipend is intended for food and expenses related to their participation in sports.

With the inception of NIL I no longer see any mention of stipends. Did NIL cancel those out or lessen the amounts?
Stipends are paid by the school.
Schools technically have zero to do with NIL.

Also, most scholarship athletes are paid zero for their NIL

This says they get $5k/yr to cover incidental expenses and potentially another $6k based on academic success.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Stipends are paid by the school.
Schools technically have zero to do with NIL.

Also, most scholarship athletes are paid zero for their NIL
I knew the stipends were paid by the schools but I was wondering with NIL availability, the schools had drawn back on stipends. Appreciate the replies.

Last edited:
I knew the stipends were paid by the schools but I was wondering with NIL vailability, the schools had drawn back on stipends. Appreciate the replies.
Yeah, the issue I would see there is that, as a percentage, the number of student athletes being paid for their NIL is very small. So the reason for the stipend still exists, and in the grand scheme of things, the amount of the stipends going to players receiving meaningful NIL is nominal.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Even though they are fed extremely well the stipend is intended for food and expenses related to their participation in sports.
My son’s baseball team would get a stipend, but then coaches would get them food on their road trips, so the players would pocket the stipend for spending money.

Good question, the stipend kind of got lost in the shuffle since it pales in comparison to the NIL $ they are getting. There's an argument to be made that for kids getting paid by NIL and eventually directly from the school (not if, but when), they should eliminate scholarships for the revenue sport athletes and just let them pay their own way. Of course that only works if it's nationally consistent. It would be nice to free up those scholarships for non-revenue sport athletes who don't get the same financial benefits as the football and basketball players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT