ADVERTISEMENT

Desanto gets 1 match suspension

I did not watch much college wrestling when the Brands competed. I only had a fleeting interest at that time. But, from what I observe, Terry wasn't the most sportsmanlike wrestler in his day if I'm not mistaken. And, it seems that behavior was never discouraged by Gable, or anyone else during those years. Am I correct?

Seriously post 327. Dont know how i missed that. Just a hypothetical question do you think Brands does this against a top team. Of course they would have wrestle one first.
I would like to think he made the decision regardless of who the opponent was but of course we are always going to 2nd guess. From ADs point of view I'm sure he does not care who the opponent was going to be and just hates not being able to perform and that is what it is meant to do.

Who knows? After Maryland the Duckeyes have Indiana, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State.

The real question is what happens if DeSanto gets penalized another team point for his behavior? The Iowa AD, Brands and DeSanto have probably had that conversation (maybe not all of them together).
What if he is deducted a team point when he does not even take the mat?

I did not watch much college wrestling when the Brands competed. I only had a fleeting interest at that time. But, from what I observe, Terry wasn't the most sportsmanlike wrestler in his day if I'm not mistaken. And, it seems that behavior was never discouraged by Gable, or anyone else during those years. Am I correct?

I think it was 1991 when Terry lost to Kelber in the NCAA finals that Tom Brands pitched a fit that even the worst two year old would be embarrassed by. I was dumbfounded that a young man would behave like that. Bad mat behavior was totally tolerated at Iowa under Gable, who was no angel himself.

The whole Zalesky to Brands transition was so dirty. Zalesky being undermined by Gable (at least that is what Zalesky believed - he publicly said he had lost respect for Gable) at Iowa; Zalesky being let go unceremoniously and with no warning; Brands screwing over VT in so many ways; Gable picking Tom Brands to lead the program and coming onto the staff to "help" Tom at the beginning.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-wrestl/uwire/033106aac.html

https://globegazette.com/sports/zal...cle_197ebc1c-7714-5102-bed0-c8d2f51bbd48.html

Brands needs to get this under control b/c lose a few team points at nationals and the coveted 4th place trophy could slip away
If that happened, at least Brands could point to someone else costing the hardware and not himself.

(2016....which I assume you are referencing, lol)

Reactions: danoftw
How prevalent were Illegal fist to the back calls in the days of yore?

Hell yes fists to the back were often back then. During the pistol duels in New Jersey (legal in 1790s) when one was counting their paces to ten (with of course your back turned), you always had to worry about a fist to the back. That is why your Second that you brought to the duel always had to pay close attention.

To the day, it is said that one has to be very careful in competitions in New Jersey for such ruffian activities. Still duels, no pistols.

On another note, SWPA what road were you on when you met Bambi's mother?

Last edited:
The match where AD went off on Lizak, all Lizak did was calmly shake his hand turn and walk back to his side. That had to difficult to do as AD was acting like a 9 year old but it can be done.

Hell yes fists to the back were often back then. During the pistol duels in New Jersey (legal in 1790s) when one was counting their paces to ten (with of course your back turned), you always had to worry about a fist to the back. That is why your Second that you brought to the duel always had to pay close attention.

To the day, it is said that one has to be very careful in competitions in New Jersey for such ruffian activities. Still duels, no pistols.

On another note, SWPA what road were you on when you met Bambi's mother?

It was not Bambi's mother but Bambi himself. I am not at liberty to discuss but I will say this.

I took the one less traveled by

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Serious question from a guy who started following after TNT were actually wrestling... Were TNT always this criticized? Did Gable leave the program to them because he respected them? I agree Gable should not be offering advice unless it is sought, but I kinda feel for the guy when these two mat monkeys are takin this program down a different path than he envisioned.
What do you mean by mat monkeys lmfao. I'm crying here laughing so hard

Reactions: danoftw
I think it was 1991 when Terry lost to Kelber in the NCAA finals that Tom Brands pitched a fit that even the worst two year old would be embarrassed by. I was dumbfounded that a young man would behave like that. Bad mat behavior was totally tolerated at Iowa under Gable, who was no angel himself.

The whole Zalesky to Brands transition was so dirty. Zalesky being undermined by Gable (at least that is what Zalesky believed - he publicly said he had lost respect for Gable) at Iowa; Zalesky being let go unceremoniously and with no warning; Brands screwing over VT in so many ways; Gable picking Tom Brands to lead the program and coming onto the staff to "help" Tom at the beginning.

https://globegazette.com/sports/zal...cle_197ebc1c-7714-5102-bed0-c8d2f51bbd48.html
I remember going to the Virginia Duals and Tom Brands and Jeff Prescott got into a fist fight during there match.

Damnit, guys... I love taking a shot or two at Iowa, but acting like PSU has the moral high-ground when recruiting transfers with issues is a bit wonky.

I don't blame Cael or the coaches for Andrew Long's actions. I also don't blame Brands for DeSanto's. In fact, I'd take DeSanto over the ending for Andrew Long any day.

Also, Warren Zevon is tight.

I remember reading a comment that Gable made when he was questioned about the Brands' behavior when they were still competing at Iowa. He said he wasn't going to do anything that would take the intensity out of his wrestlers. I'm not making any judgement call about Gable's remark, but that was his response.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Damnit, guys... I love taking a shot or two at Iowa, but acting like PSU has the moral high-ground when recruiting transfers with issues is a bit wonky.

I don't blame Cael or the coaches for Andrew Long's actions. I also don't blame Brands for DeSanto's. In fact, I'd take DeSanto over the ending for Andrew Long any day.

Also, Warren Zevon is tight.

Unless someone can show otherwise, it seems to me Cael gave Long a second chance with, I'm pretty sure, a set of conditions with which Long had to comply. I believe Long made it through the season without failing to meet those requirements. He had the problem in the summer and was gone. I have no problem with what happened.

Last edited:

@Ihawkd9times can give credence to this story.

What do you mean by mat monkeys lmfao. I'm crying here laughing so hard

Here is a picture of them flying around:

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT