ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart at WR ... yikes

I fully agree with you that WR is a huge concern - and I'm in the camp that we've had back to back to back poor hires to coach that position. And Stubblefield may be a good guy but Miami fans weren't shedding any tears when he left their program, so this may be another stumble.

Quite certain that this hire was mostly KC decision. I don't think CJF would do it in a vacuum. We will have to trust that Kirk knows what he is doing. He left Matt Simon behind at UM so must think highly of Taylor.

This defense will be as good as Shelton, Mustipher, Hansard, Beamon and Culpepper are at DT. They are big and experienced and need to dominate the opposition. Hopefully Coach Scott teaches the DT's to raise their arms and knock down some passes this year. Edge rushers look good when a QB can't step up in the pocket because a DT is in his face. Box linebackers look really good when DT's play within the scheme working to keep OL from reaching the second level. Other than Toney we have unknowns at DE. Toney is a great leader and teammate but he has had difficulty playing big in big games. I hope with the added size, he turns the corner this year. Oweh has shown flashes of potential rushing the QB but he had a difficult time holding the edge in his limited snaps. Clearly he has the physical tools to dominate. We should expect a lot more physicality from him this year. That said I'm hopeful that the young DE's can get an assist from the experienced DT's to help them develop as the season unfolds. By all accounts the backend of the defense appears to be solid. Wade and Brisker maybe the best tandem of safeties we've had in a while. I'm really excited about Porter. Ellis and Wilson saw substantial playing time last season and this kid worked his butt off during the off season and leaped them on the depth chart. Can't wait for Saturday!

For the Glory!

I never said we were going to stink. My prediction is actually 7-1 or 6-2. I see us losing to Ohio State (they simply have too much talent) and then a clunker somewhere. Never did I say we were going to stink. I said the WR position is a weak spot. It will could very easily cause us trouble all year. IMO, we SHOULD have enough talent to over-come the WRd position. Even with WR being a weak spot, I do not see teams like Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland... being able to take advantage. Ohio State will definitely exploit it and make us 1-dimensional. And it could make Offense difficult vs. the likes of Michigan & Iowa.

If we had a depth chart at WR, I'd really like this team to be a threat to make the CFP.
Yes, I could see Penn State going anywhere from 7-1 to 5-3. You are right that Ohio State, Iowa and Michigan (and maybe even Indiana) will all load the box and dare us to throw. We were able to burn MIchigan last year with KJ Hamler. This year, I'm hoping that our veteran OL, new schemes and coaching will be enough to move the ball on the ground (ala Wisconsin) and sprinkle in just enough through the air to win these games. Also leaving open the possibility that our WRs step up and surprise.

If KJ came back, we'd burn 'em all and everyone would be fine with Dotson as our No. 2. Also makes you wonder "what if" with David Bell and Jon Metchie, but like Joe always said, "Don't worry about the ones you don't get. Make sure the ones you get are your type of kids." Michigan lost more than us, so can't complain too much.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
This defense will be as good as Shelton, Mustipher, Hansard, Beamon and Culpepper are at DT. They are big and experienced and need to dominate the opposition. Hopefully Coach Scott teaches the DT's to raise their arms and knock down some passes this year. Edge rushers look good when a QB can't step up in the pocket because a DT is in his face. Box linebackers look really good when DT's play within the scheme working to keep OL from reaching the second level. Other than Toney we have unknowns at DE. Toney is a great leader and teammate but he has had difficulty playing big in big games. I hope with the added size, he turns the corner this year. Oweh has shown flashes of potential rushing the QB but he had a difficult time holding the edge in his limited snaps. Clearly he has the physical tools to dominate. We should expect a lot more physicality from him this year. That said I'm hopeful that the young DE's can get an assist from the experienced DT's to help them develop as the season unfolds. By all accounts the backend of the defense appears to be solid. Wade and Brisker maybe the best tandem of safeties we've had in a while. I'm really excited about Porter. Ellis and Wilson saw substantial playing time last season and this kid worked his butt off during the off season and leaped them on the depth chart. Can't wait for Saturday!

For the Glory!
Agree, but if you have to teach 3rd and 4th year D1 DT's or DE's to get their arms up if they aren't getting there.....a whole lot of fail has gone on for them their entire life in terms of coaching and just basic understanding of the game.

In the national championship Alabama was up 13-7 on Clemson and lost 44-16. In the final 3+ quarters Bama was outscored 37-3. By your logic they aren’t elite.

Some people are morons.
Yes some are. Alabama and Clemson both have 2 national championships in the past 5 years. I never said that one game is the determinant. But in the past 5 years, Ohio State has made the playoffs twice and been embarrassed twice. That's the difference. That's not elite. Oklahoma has faired better in the playoff the last 5 years. Heck, if the standard for elite is just getting there in the past 5 years then Michigan State is elite, Washington is elite, Notre Dame is elite. Get the point? All of those teams aren't elite. Neither is Ohio State the past 5 years.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Agree, but if you have to teach 3rd and 4th year D1 DT's or DE's to get their arms up if they aren't getting there.....a whole lot of fail has gone on for them their entire life in terms of coaching and just basic understanding of the game.
I understand your point. However since Spencer arrived i noticed that the DTs rarely get there arms up if they are not getting there. Maybe he didn't emphasize it. Check the Minnesota game. The ball was coming out fast on several occasions and the DT rarely got their arms up. There were opportunities to knock some passes down or at least to make the Minnesota QB alter his throws.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
+1 on all this. I remember 95 like it was yesterday. Williams had a big impact because he was a heralded recruit and defenses focused on him, which meant Butler was going against #2 corner or safeties -- and Butler was way too quick for them. When Williams, Butler and Norwood were all on the field at the same time, it was just too much for even good defenses.

I'm just hoping one or two of the tall guys is ready to play this year because that makes so many things possible -- you have a much better chance of catching balls on the deep sideline when your wideout can outleap the corner. You can win the 50-50 balls when the QB accidentally throws into double coverage.

Norwood was a kid that people moaned and groaned about even being taken as a gray shirt.....turned out he had the best hands on that team BY FAR...and one of the best set of hands around period. Butler was a walk on that we thought was going to be a CB....so this idea that WR's are sunk is a joke to me. D Will was a consensus top 3 player in the nation that year, yet the other 2 were better WR's in the end IMO.

Washington, Dottin, and Lambert are all national recruits. It doesn't mean anyone of them will be an AA, nor does it mean all 3 will be a bust. That WR group aka the smurfs led the team to a BT title in that first year starting IIRC. I think the sleeper in this group is CSB as he gets open and doesn't drop the ball in his limited time. We'll see what shakes out, but I think the WR's will make some plays.

True, but if you're talking truly elite ball skills, I would take that player in a second over elite speed. You are referring to Bobby Engram, Norwood, Godwin and Alan Robinson. No elite speed in that group but they were all dominant at the college level.

NFL's a little different -- the corners are so good, elite speed or speed/size is essential.

But at college level, ball skills wins games.

Elite Ball Skills= won't outrun a lot of people.

Reactions: Texas Lion
While the talent may not be as strong as last year, perhaps KC makes better use of the outside WRs like he did at Minny and relies less on the slot. My biggest concern is he doesnt use Pat as much as TEs have never been a staple for his offense. One could argue that hes never had a TE as good as Pat and would be stupid not to use him, but often times you find OC's, specifically in the NFL who will not deviate from their system and good TEs are just not used. Mike Martz and Bruce Arians come to mind in the NFL. Martz even traded Greg Olsen because he had no use for him. Hope thats not the case but I guess we'll see.

Quite certain that this hire was mostly KC decision. I don't think CJF would do it in a vacuum. We will have to trust that Kirk knows what he is doing. He left Matt Simon behind at UM so must think highly of Taylor.
Stubblefield was hired before Kirk Ciarrocca, FWIW.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Stubblefield was hired before Kirk Ciarrocca, FWIW.

Ciarrocca hiring was announced on Dec 26, 2019. Stubblefield hiring was announced on Jan 19, 2020. Miami's bowl game was Dec 26. If he was hired before Roc but they wanted to delay announcing it, Stubbs would have been announced sooner than Jan 19. I also think he could have found a different belt to wear on his first recruiting visit, if he was hired 3 weeks before it was announced.

Ciarrocca hiring was announced on Dec 26, 2019. Stubblefield hiring was announced on Jan 19, 2020. Miami's bowl game was Dec 26. If he was hired before Roc but they wanted to delay announcing it, Stubbs would have been announced sooner than Jan 19. I also think he could have found a different belt to wear on his first recruiting visit, if he was hired 3 weeks before it was announced.
Oh. Then I owe an apology to @SLion, as well as the board. Thought for sure Coach Stubbs was hired before KC which is why I thought we didn't bring over Matt Simon. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: BBrown and NC2017
Oh. Then I owe an apology to @SLion, as well as the board. Thought for sure Coach Stubbs was hired before KC which is why I thought we didn't bring over Matt Simon. Thanks for the correction.
Simon got a promotion to co-OC. I think he also called the plays in their bowl game. I really don't think he was an option but who knows.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Who was the last true frosh WR to start on opening day? Dotson and Blacknall started their first seasons, but not until a few games in. Does it go all the way back to DWill in in '05?

The answer you’re looking for is Brandon Polk. Game one of Franklin’s career I believe. First play of the game against Temple was a jet sweep to Polk for a huge gain. The PSU highlights ended there.

The answer you’re looking for is Brandon Polk. Game one of Franklin’s career I believe. First play of the game against Temple was a jet sweep to Polk for a huge gain. The PSU highlights ended there.

Granted, it wasn't a terribly difficult catch. But he did catch the crucial 4th down pass from McSorley late in the App State game to keep the game alive and set up KJ's touchdown.

That's my Brandon Polk memory.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Granted, it wasn't a terribly difficult catch. But he did catch the crucial 4th down pass from McSorley late in the App State game to keep the game alive and set up KJ's touchdown.

That's my Brandon Polk memory.

When I said the PSU highlights ended there I was talking about that game for PSU as a whole. I believe that was the game Temple won.

Brandon Polk had some other highlights. He. Caught a TD in the 51-6 blowout at Pitt as well.

Good thing we signed 5 WRs last year.

Parker Washington - first team
KeAndre Lambert - second team
Jaden Dottin - third team
Malick Meiga - not on depth chart
Norval Black - not on depth chart

Still need an infusion of talent at that position in the next couple of classes.

But it does make you think about our near-misses in the last couple of years. David Bell who tore it up as a freshman last year at Purdue. Jon Metchie at Alabama. We'll see about Fleming.
I think Parker Washington had the best highlight clips I have seen since.............IIRC, Ryan Snyder. His ability to get off the line and turn the DB in circles is amazing for a Freshman. Big 10 Offensive Freshman of the year candidate and by winning the starting position................not unreasonable.

Reactions: 81b&w and BBrown
Nice work. I see it was a 33 yard gain on the jet sweep and that was the game we lost at Temple.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT