ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart at WR ... yikes

Kiber

Jan 23, 2010
Looking at the WR depth chart and it's pretty eye-opening (in a scary way) what a couple of ineffective WR Coaches can do to negatively impact the depth chart.

> At 1 WR position we have Dotson (good) but then backed up by two FR
> At Slot we have a true FR starting backed up by two walk-ons
> At the other WR we have Cam S-B backed up by Daniel George followed by another true FR

I'd say WR has to be the biggest positional area of concern for this team heading into the season. IMO, the book is open on KC as an OC. I wonder how much he adapts his personnel schemes to positional strength?? For example, go with more 2-TE packages. We seem to have pretty good talent/depth at TE. Friermuth-Strange-Kuntz-Johnson are the 4-deep at TE. A few of those guys are like "big WRs". I'll be interested to see, as the season develops, if the WR position turns into an "Achilles heel", if KC goes to 2-TEs.

So why is it the coaches’ fault that the depth chart is thin? It can’t be the players’ fault or issue?

Reactions: psu1969a
Good thing we signed 5 WRs last year.

Parker Washington - first team
KeAndre Lambert - second team
Jaden Dottin - third team
Malick Meiga - not on depth chart
Norval Black - not on depth chart

Still need an infusion of talent at that position in the next couple of classes.

But it does make you think about our near-misses in the last couple of years. David Bell who tore it up as a freshman last year at Purdue. Jon Metchie at Alabama. We'll see about Fleming.

Look, who cares what the depth chart looks like. Bet you felt warm inside having Juwan and Shorter on the depth chart before the 2019 season. Depth charts don't catch footballs unfortunately, players do, and I don't give much of a damn about the depth chart if the WR dont catch the damn ball. Maybe we now have 5 or 6 guys, including walk ons, that can actually catch a friggin football, would that be such a bad thing?

Looking at the WR depth chart and it's pretty eye-opening (in a scary way) what a couple of ineffective WR Coaches can do to negatively impact the depth chart.

> At the other WR we have Cam S-B backed up by Daniel George followed by another true FR

I'd say WR has to be the biggest positional area of concern for this team heading into the season. IMO, the book is open on KC as an OC. I wonder how much he adapts his personnel schemes to positional strength?? For example, go with more 2-TE packages. We seem to have pretty good talent/depth at TE. Friermuth-Strange-Kuntz-Johnson are the 4-deep at TE. A few of those guys are like "big WRs". I'll be interested to see, as the season develops, if the WR position turns into an "Achilles heel", if KC goes to 2-TEs.
They will be fine but I do expect an extra tight end and some power football.

Reactions: BBrown
Yep, everyone knew that the WR depth was limited last season, which is why the staff brought in 5 new WR's for 2020. But the fact that Lambert and Washington have already shown they are likely better than George and Jones I believe speaks well for improvement over the drops we saw last season from Shorter and George. Also a positive that CSB (previously injured) is atop one spot. And the fact that there are a number of new players that are not on the DC is also a plus as many times new players (Black, up in weight significantly, Meiga, and Dottin and Jones both 3rd team) make significant improvement in their understanding of the offense, routes, etc and can contribute more so as the season goes along.

Lots of top teams play young skill players. It's not "yikes" to me......

Reactions: gogolion and BBrown
Good thing we signed 5 WRs last year.

Parker Washington - first team
KeAndre Lambert - second team
Jaden Dottin - third team
Malick Meiga - not on depth chart
Norval Black - not on depth chart

Still need an infusion of talent at that position in the next couple of classes.

But it does make you think about our near-misses in the last couple of years. David Bell who tore it up as a freshman last year at Purdue. Jon Metchie at Alabama. We'll see about Fleming.

Yea David Bell was one I really, really wanted us to land.

So why is it the coaches’ fault that the depth chart is thin? It can’t be the players’ fault or issue?

Because great players do not exactly get in line to play for crappy coaches. There is a big reason why Alabama's recruiting sky-rocketed once Nick Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa. Go check Bama's recruiting ranking the previous 10 years before Good Old St. Nick arrived. Then check the recruiting ranking since Saban. No coincidence. 5* players are not flocking to Tuscaloosa from all over the USA because of Saban's shining personality. They know he's a great coach and they want to play for a great coach.

I'm a huge Franklin fan. Overall I'd give Franklin an "A" for his job at Penn State. But I'd give his last 2 WR Coaching hires an "F-" and a "D".

Reactions: jbenedict
If somebody would have said Shorter, Daniel George, Jahan Dotson, TJ Jones, and Dunmore and very likely potential that only Dotson ever sees the field in meaningful playing time, that is a killer. Tough to go two full classes with only one contributing WR.

Would love to see 3 TEs on the field a lot, with one lined up in the backfield as a lead blocker in I formations, and our QB under center.....and this will never happen. I think our personnel is best served for this type of offense, but we'll continue to see basketball on grass. Hope it works!

Reactions: jbenedict

Actual WR depth chart probably looks more like this:

WR Dotson followed by Lambert-Smith followed by Dottin (true frosh)
Slot WR Washington followed by Dotson followed by Lutz
WR CSB followed by George followed be Jones (RS Frosh)

Maybe I am looking through blue and white glasses but that WR depth chart has me excited. CSB looked good early last season before he got hurt. Everybody is raving about Washington and Lambert-Smith so it is great to see one is listed as a starter and the other has a clear path to playing time with Dotson also playing the slot. The WRs this year are more prepared to play other positions. If it is clear that Dotson, Washington and Lambert-Smith are the best 3 WRs, they can easily have all 3 on the field on one time. Dottin being 3rd behind Dotson and KLS is surprising. I would have expected Black to be more prepared to play coming in from junior college. Meiga was always a project so him not being on depth chart makes sense.

Reactions: BBrown
Would love to see 3 TEs on the field a lot, with one lined up in the backfield as a lead blocker in I formations, and our QB under center.....and this will never happen. I think our personnel is best served for this type of offense, but we'll continue to see basketball on grass. Hope it works!
O boy........

Reactions: PSU&Trout
If coaches get praise for talent assessment, recruiting, development, game day coaching and player success, they should also get criticism when results are not outstanding.

Why did Franklin hire Trautwein to coach OL??? Yes, he is a very good OL Coach. But, he also possesses the potential to be a great recruiter. He's 33 and can relate. He played in the NFL. He started on two National Championship teams at Florida..... make no mistake, at least 50% of the reason Franklij hired Trautwein to coach OL was his recruiting potential.

Well, the flip can be applied when coaches do not reel in prospects. I forget his name but the guy Franklin hired from Army, who was a RB Coach and then assigned to Coach WRs when Seider was hired.... That guy was an F- hire.

Reactions: Psugraddad
We've won 41 games in 4 seasons with an offense like the one we're going to run this season - we've moved beyond the "hope it works" stage.

As for the depth chart, I think that we'll settle into a depth chart with Dotson and Lambert-Smith on the outside, and Washington in the slot. I think the two freshmen are going to be the best true freshmen wide receivers we've seen here in ~15 years or so.

We've won 41 games in 4 seasons with an offense like the one we're going to run this season - we've moved beyond the "hope it works" stage.

As for the depth chart, I think that we'll settle into a depth chart with Dotson and Lambert-Smith on the outside, and Washington in the slot. I think the two freshmen are going to be the best true freshmen wide receivers we've seen here in ~15 years or so.

Excuse me, but it's 42 wins :)

Of course, hope springs eternal each preseason, but I agree about Washington and Lambert. Washington was the guy I honestly thought would surprise from this class -- even before he got his ratings bump to 4*. Watching his HS highlights, it was clear that his combination of physicality, route running, and hands suggested really good things to come. Was a bit surprised he wasn't as heavily recruited as he should have been, but that's fine with me.

Because great players do not exactly get in line to play for crappy coaches. There is a big reason why Alabama's recruiting sky-rocketed once Nick Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa. Go check Bama's recruiting ranking the previous 10 years before Good Old St. Nick arrived. Then check the recruiting ranking since Saban. No coincidence. 5* players are not flocking to Tuscaloosa from all over the USA because of Saban's shining personality. They know he's a great coach and they want to play for a great coach.

I'm a huge Franklin fan. Overall I'd give Franklin an "A" for his job at Penn State. But I'd give his last 2 WR Coaching hires an "F-" and a "D".

Who here expected Juwan Johnson and Justin Shorter to fizzle and leave early? Still, we have had some talent out there.

Excuse me, but it's 42 wins :)

Of course, hope springs eternal each preseason, but I agree about Washington and Lambert. Washington was the guy I honestly thought would surprise from this class -- even before he got his ratings bump to 4*. Watching his HS highlights, it was clear that his combination of physicality, route running, and hands suggested really good things to come. Was a bit surprised he wasn't as heavily recruited as he should have been, but that's fine with me.
I hope Washington turns out to be the next great WR at PSU. I wish he was a little taller than 5'10".

I hope Washington turns out to be the next great WR at PSU. I wish he was a little taller than 5'10".

True, though I have a feeling that if he were a few inches taller, we'd be fighting schools like Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, and Oklahoma for his services instead of Wisconsin and Nebraska.

I think his size probably scared off a few of those other schools, but I'd say we scouted this one brilliantly. He seemed to have a really big senior year and skyrocketed up the rankings during his senior season (and during all-star games). By then, we already had him committed.

Deon Butler and Jordan Norwood were smaller than you'd like and without the fanfare. Hamler was downright tiny. Lots of room for non-ideal sized WRs to make a huge impact. There are some other measures beyond size that seem to make some of these guys gamers.

Hope Parker Washington is a stud. Crazy to start as a True Frosh at WR. Is he fast by WR standards? Does anyone know?

Scary already? They haven’t even played yet.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Bare feet I agree. I am really hoping our new Offensive line coach really gets the most out of the talented "Pit Boyz". Hey if the Running Backs can call themselves "Lawn Boyz" why not have a name for the O-line THE PIT BOYZ. I am hoping we will peak and push teams around and pound the crap out of the ball and d-lines turn to powder.

Hope Parker Washington is a stud. Crazy to start as a True Frosh at WR. Is he fast by WR standards? Does anyone know?

There are quite a few true FR WRs that start across the country every year. I think Rondale Moore did OK as a FR. As well as David Bell last year. Because it takes athletic ability and hands, things some true FR can come in to school with. It's not like they need tons of time in the weight room to compete.

That last WR coaching hire was so bad he was promoted to OC at a pretty high D1 school after 1 year. I guess they didn't think he was so bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT