ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart at WR ... yikes

Yeah, Parker Washington is listed at 5'10" and 205#, so he's not tall, but is still strong and physical.

A comp at that position size-wise is also named Washington, that is James Washington of the Steelers, listed at 5'11 and 213#, had a great career at Ok State and caught plenty of long balls.

Coach Franklin says Parker Washington has "elite ball skills" at running back size; let's see what he can do!

Yeah, Parker Washington is listed at 5'10" and 205#, so he's not tall, but is still strong and physical.

A comp at that position size-wise is also named Washington, that is James Washington of the Steelers, listed at 5'11 and 213#, had a great career at Ok State and caught plenty of long balls.

Coach Franklin says Parker Washington has "elite ball skills" at running back size; let's see what he can do!
but can he catch the ball?

Daniel George 2nd string. This staff puts the best players on the field. I love that about them.

Who was the last true frosh WR to start on opening day? Dotson and Blacknall started their first seasons, but not until a few games in. Does it go all the way back to DWill in in '05?

Looking at the WR depth chart and it's pretty eye-opening (in a scary way) what a couple of ineffective WR Coaches can do to negatively impact the depth chart.
We have 9? WR on scholarship I believe. I'm not worried considering these are circumstances elsewhere:

"The offseason departures of Donovan Peoples-Jones, Tarik Black and Nico Collins have left Michigan with just six scholarship receivers, two of which are true freshmen."

We have 9? WR on scholarship I believe. I'm not worried considering these are circumstances elsewhere:

"The offseason departures of Donovan Peoples-Jones, Tarik Black and Nico Collins have left Michigan with just six scholarship receivers, two of which are true freshmen."

Goodness. They'll lose 5 games now, with so few WRs.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
We simply need to utilize Friermuth as much as possible. Coach C has to be developing new, creative schemes to exploit the mismatch he creates.

On another note, hopefully Parker Washington is the real deal. Excited to see him play.

With no JB for IU then pound Cain and relieve him with Ford. How about both of them hit the century mark!

It would be great if JB could be ready for OSU.

Reactions: PearlSUJam

PW sounds like Hines Ward to me.

So why is it the coaches’ fault that the depth chart is thin? It can’t be the players’ fault or issue?
Not being able to land the in state talent at the position has not helped.
I.E. See Ohio State roster.

I am not sure why people seem to be surprised by this development. We have had issues with this position during the entirety of the Franklin era despite throwing considerable resources at at. My personal opinion is player identification is the biggest problem. Hamler is the only Franklin recruit at the position to really do anything. The fact that Dotson is the top guy is telling. I have nothing against Dotson but he isn't a number 1 receiver on a team where the head coach prefers a 3 receiver set.

Reactions: Kiber
Actual WR depth chart probably looks more like this:

WR Dotson followed by Lambert-Smith followed by Dottin (true frosh)
Slot WR Washington followed by Dotson followed by Lutz
WR CSB followed by George followed be Jones (RS Frosh)

Maybe I am looking through blue and white glasses but that WR depth chart has me excited. CSB looked good early last season before he got hurt. Everybody is raving about Washington and Lambert-Smith so it is great to see one is listed as a starter and the other has a clear path to playing time with Dotson also playing the slot. The WRs this year are more prepared to play other positions. If it is clear that Dotson, Washington and Lambert-Smith are the best 3 WRs, they can easily have all 3 on the field on one time. Dottin being 3rd behind Dotson and KLS is surprising. I would have expected Black to be more prepared to play coming in from junior college. Meiga was always a project so him not being on depth chart makes sense.

I'll make a prediction. I will predict that going into most games this year, the majority of B1G Defensive Coordinators load 7-8 guys up in the box... take away our run game.... play press / man on our outside WRs .... and dare Penn State to beat them thru the air.

Until Penn State's WRs can burn teams and take advantage of "man" coverage, then opposing defenses will load an extra man in the box.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
I believe it was a reference that sometimes the freshman starters came in and play well and not to worry so much.

IMO, there is no way any "objective" person can look at our Depth Chart and not say that WR is a concern. Dotson is our most accomplished WR and he has caught a grand total of 40 pass completions his first two years. The other WR position is manned by a true FR backed up by two walk-ons. And the top 2 guys at the other WR position are 1 guy who has done very little his first few years (C S-B) and 1 guy who has shown glimpses of being good but also cases of the "drops" (George)

That is not exactly going to have opposing B1G Defensive Coordinators losing too much sleep.

That last WR coaching hire was so bad he was promoted to OC at a pretty high D1 school after 1 year. I guess they didn't think he was so bad.

Yup. WR recruits just fell over themselves to play for David Corley and Gerard Parker.... that's a great reason our WR room is so loaded these days.

Gerard Parker was a reclamation hire. The guy was a bright young coach, but he had the off-field stuff hanging over his head.

Ohio State is sending Brian Hartline into a kid's living room... we are sending in David Corley and Gerard Parker......... Ahhhhh OK.

but can he catch the ball?

When Franklin says he has "elite ball skills", I'm guessing he's not talking about twirling the ball around on his finger or juggling 4 footballs in the air. I'm assuming it means he can catch it.

Watch his HS film -- particularly from his senior season. Unless something dramatic happens, I'm guessing his ability to catch balls thrown to him won't be an issue.

I am not sure why people seem to be surprised by this development. We have had issues with this position during the entirety of the Franklin era despite throwing considerable resources at at. My personal opinion is player identification is the biggest problem. Hamler is the only Franklin recruit at the position to really do anything. The fact that Dotson is the top guy is telling. I have nothing against Dotson but he isn't a number 1 receiver on a team where the head coach prefers a 3 receiver set.

Not if you are trying to compare yourself to the Ohio States, Clemsons, Alabamas of the college football world. From everything Franklin says, his target is to have Penn State in that "elite" group. Remember the quote "we are a great program... but we are not yet elite... those guys we played tonite are elite". It rankled some feelings, but he was absolutely correct. Dotson is a "nice" WR. But he is not a #1 at those elite programs. He's barely a #2 or #3 at those other programs. Heck, at Bama he'd be no better than their #4 WR. (Davonta Smith, Waddle, Metchie would be 1-2-3).

I am not knocking our program. I am just saying that when you look at our depth chart, IMO the WR group sticks out like a sore thumb. I believe we have become "elite" in many areas. Before the Journey Brown news we were "elite" at RB. We are "elite at TE. We are "elite" once again at LB. And I believe we are "elite" at DE. And I also believe our depth at OL is becoming top tier..... Franklin has transformed the roster and made it "elite" in many areas. But no way on Earth anyone can OBJECTIVELY look at our WR depth chart, compare it to those true "elite" programs and say we are right there with them.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Not if you are trying to compare yourself to the Ohio States, Clemsons, Alabamas of the college football world. From everything Franklin says, his target is to have Penn State in that "elite" group. Remember the quote "we are a great program... but we are not yet elite... those guys we played tonite are elite". It rankled some feelings, but he was absolutely correct. Dotson is a "nice" WR. But he is not a #1 at those elite programs. He's barely a #2 or #3 at those other programs. Heck, at Bama he'd be no better than their #4 WR. (Davonta Smith, Waddle, Metchie would be 1-2-3).

I am not knocking our program. I am just saying that when you look at our depth chart, IMO the WR group sticks out like a sore thumb. I believe we have become "elite" in many areas. Before the Journey Brown news we were "elite" at RB. We are "elite at TE. We are "elite" once again at LB. And I believe we are "elite" at DE. And I also believe our depth at OL is becoming top tier..... Franklin has transformed the roster and made it "elite" in many areas. But no way on Earth anyone can OBJECTIVELY look at our WR depth chart, compare it to those true "elite" programs and say we are right there with them.

I do agree with pretty much your entire post, but the Bama comparison is unfair. Bamas receivers are otherworldly, there are schools that fall into the ‘elite’ category that are in the same boat as us, where their top WR would be Bamas number 4... The best WR at probably 99% of the colleges out there would be Bamas no 4

Reactions: bison13

I don't think you can put Ohio St in that elite group. Their recruiting is elite but they get embarrassed if and when they make the playoff. That's not elite. If so, I guess Notre Dame is also elite. They occasionally make the playoff and get embarrassed when they do.

WR recruiting last year was really strong. This is about as dumb a thread as you can find. How about you see what they do before you actually complain about it. Shorter was the #1 WR in the country and a physical specimen....what is he doing at UF? Who would you take...Butler, Norwood, A Rob, or Shorter? Relax and let's see what they do, enjoy the season.....a unique concept. This team has plenty of talent, so if people want to crawl under their blankets already and cry...have at it. I just tend to put the idiots on ignore.

Looking at the WR depth chart and it's pretty eye-opening (in a scary way) what a couple of ineffective WR Coaches can do to negatively impact the depth chart.

> At 1 WR position we have Dotson (good) but then backed up by two FR
> At Slot we have a true FR starting backed up by two walk-ons
> At the other WR we have Cam S-B backed up by Daniel George followed by another true FR

I'd say WR has to be the biggest positional area of concern for this team heading into the season. IMO, the book is open on KC as an OC. I wonder how much he adapts his personnel schemes to positional strength?? For example, go with more 2-TE packages. We seem to have pretty good talent/depth at TE. Friermuth-Strange-Kuntz-Johnson are the 4-deep at TE. A few of those guys are like "big WRs". I'll be interested to see, as the season develops, if the WR position turns into an "Achilles heel", if KC goes to 2-TEs.
With the issues we had last year at wide receiver, and the true freshmen not seeing the field last year at all, not even the last four games of the season, it is a good thing this years true freshmen have climbed the depth chart. It would be much more scary if they didn't beat out Jones and Dunmore.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
I do agree with pretty much your entire post, but the Bama comparison is unfair. Bamas receivers are otherworldly, there are schools that fall into the ‘elite’ category that are in the same boat as us, where their top WR would be Bamas number 4... The best WR at probably 99% of the colleges out there would be Bamas no 4

IMO< there are truly 3 "elite" programs. Bama, Clemson & Ohio State. Which one of them is "in the same boat as us" regarding their depth chart at WR?

WR recruiting last year was really strong. This is about as dumb a thread as you can find. How about you see what they do before you actually complain about it. Shorter was the #1 WR in the country and a physical specimen....what is he doing at UF? Who would you take...Butler, Norwood, A Rob, or Shorter? Relax and let's see what they do, enjoy the season.....a unique concept. This team has plenty of talent, so if people want to crawl under their blankets already and cry...have at it. I just tend to put the idiots on ignore.

Remember this "dumb" thread after about week 4 when we are struggling offensively because other defenses are crowding the box, taking away our run, and we can not beta them with the pass because none of our WRs can get open...... Let's remember then how "dumb" it is.

Remember this "dumb" thread after about week 4 when we are struggling offensively because other defenses are crowding the box, taking away our run, and we can not beta them with the pass because none of our WRs can get open...... Let's remember then how "dumb" it is.
Oh wait, you think teams will be trying to stop the run like they do every year? Wow that is brilliant. Parker Washington isn’t going to be your average frosh BTW.

I don't think you can put Ohio St in that elite group. Their recruiting is elite but they get embarrassed if and when they make the playoff. That's not elite. If so, I guess Notre Dame is also elite. They occasionally make the playoff and get embarrassed when they do.

"they get embarrassed if and when they make the playoff"....... Please never let facts get in the way of your side of an argument.

To date Ohio State has made the CFP 3 times:
2014/15 - beat Alabama in the Semi, beat Oregon in the Final -- Won the National Championship
2016/17 - lost to Clemson 31-0 in the Semi ..... (OK - that was embarrassing for them)
2019/20 - lost to Clemson 29-23 in a great game that went down to last seconds

So Ohio State has made it 3 times. Once they went thru and actually won the entire thing. Once they were embarrassed. And once they lost in a great game that went down to the wire.

That is not exactly "they get embarrassed if and when they make the playoff".

BTW.... 2014/15 is a lot shorter time frame to claim your last National Championship then 1986

Reactions: gogolion and BBrown

I get why people are "concerned" but c'mon talk about beating the dead horse. :rolleyes:

Reactions: bison13
"they get embarrassed if and when they make the playoff"....... Please never let facts get in the way of your side of an argument.

To date Ohio State has made the CFP 3 times:
2014/15 - beat Alabama in the Semi, beat Oregon in the Final -- Won the National Championship
2016/17 - lost to Clemson 31-0 in the Semi ..... (OK - that was embarrassing for them)
2019/20 - lost to Clemson 29-23 in a great game that went down to last seconds

So Ohio State has made it 3 times. Once they went thru and actually won the entire thing. Once they were embarrassed. And once they lost in a great game that went down to the wire.

That is not exactly "they get embarrassed if and when they make the playoff".

BTW.... 2014/15 is a lot shorter time frame to claim your last National Championship then 1986
OK, I guess in the last 5 years Ohio State simply isn't a real threat in the playoff is more accurate. They did surprise Clemson early last year but then total and typical Clemson domination after that. And 31-0 is just saying you definitely don't belong.

Cool. I will worry and obsess over it in week 4. I think you are going to be wrong but like your's its JMO.

Oh wait, you think teams will be trying to stop the run like they do every year? Wow that is brilliant. Parker Washington isn’t going to be your average frosh BTW.

Yes. But do you actually watch football. Teams will try. But other teams will burn them. Let a Defense try to crowd the line of scrimmage vs. Bama and then watch Bama throw for about 10,000 yards against them. Watch a team try to crowd the line of scrimmage vs. Clemson to take away their great RB and see the passing yards they put up.......... Yes. Taking away the run and crowding the line of scrimmage is a standard Defensive strategy because defenses dare the Offense to burn them........ My prediction. Looking at our WRs, we will not burn them and make them pay.

We can gladly DM each other. I'd be glad to make a friendly wager. If after the 3rd/4th game we are making other teams pay for going "man" vs. our WRs then I lose the bet. And I'll gladly come here and admit you were right. If our Offense is struggling because our WRs can not get open (or even get off the line of scrimmage) then I win the bet, and you come here and state that I was right.

OK, I guess in the last 5 years Ohio State simply isn't a real threat in the playoff is more accurate. They did surprise Clemson early last year but then total and typical Clemson domination after that. And 31-0 is just saying you definitely don't belong.

Huh. Did you even watch the game? Ohio State was controlling the game and then JK Dobbins suffered the ankle injury. When Dobbins went down with the ankle, then Ohio State did not control the run game. It took a superman run by Trevor Lawrence. And "Clemson dominated".... Ohio State was driving the winning TD and Justin Fields threw an INT in the end-zone when he and the receiver mis-read each other. Ohio State could have easily scored there and gone up 30-29. How was that "dominated"....... Me thinks you watch games with a bias against Ohio State.

I get why people are "concerned" but c'mon talk about beating the dead horse. :rolleyes:
I'd be concerned if they didn't go out and address it with a strong class last year, but they did. Washington and Lambert are very good WR's and both will play this year. Dottin was also highly recruited. Meiga and Black are interesting and we'll see what shakes out of them. I don't just read this site simply because this site really lacks from real analysis and you get dumb threads like this.

Parker Washington is not your average frosh and how many true frosh have started game 1 for JF? He still tends to work them in....yet on day one he jumped everyone and has people buzzing in that locker room and within the staff. Lambert also has a really good buzz and this is from senior guys in the locker-room. Then we act like all is lost in the passing game when we have a legit top 3 TE in the nation with incredible depth behind him. We also have a veteran OL with a veteran QB, so I'm sorry that some people still want to play the woe is me card.

Veteran QB - check
Veteran RB's - check
Veteran OL - check
Veteran TE's - check
Veteran WR's - 1/2 a check.....oh well, such is life in college football with turnover every year.

I'm not expecting Clifford to be Lawrence or this team to beat Clemson, but they aren't the little sisters of the poor either.

Cool. I will worry and obsess over it in week 4. I think you are going to be wrong but like your's its JMO.

We shall see. Please tell me which of our WRs is going to have Defensive Coordinators game-planning to stop them.

Yes. But do you actually watch football. Teams will try. But other teams will burn them. Let a Defense try to crowd the line of scrimmage vs. Bama and then watch Bama throw for about 10,000 yards against them. Watch a team try to crowd the line of scrimmage vs. Clemson to take away their great RB and see the passing yards they put up.......... Yes. Taking away the run and crowding the line of scrimmage is a standard Defensive strategy because defenses dare the Offense to burn them........ My prediction. Looking at our WRs, we will not burn them and make them pay.

We can gladly DM each other. I'd be glad to make a friendly wager. If after the 3rd/4th game we are making other teams pay for going "man" vs. our WRs then I lose the bet. And I'll gladly come here and admit you were right. If our Offense is struggling because our WRs can not get open (or even get off the line of scrimmage) then I win the bet, and you come here and state that I was right.
Your clichés amuse me. We have no idea what Paul C will do with the O, so STFU with your bets. I'll watch this team and won't cry like a little b!tch ahead of time. How about this, break down how many teams played us mostly man the last 5 years and compare it to this year.....just form comparisons sake. Oh wait....it may just open your eyes up.

BTW,,,,if you are saying we aren't Clemson or Bama....congrats on another gem of a find.

I'd be concerned if they didn't go out and address it with a strong class last year, but they did. Washington and Lambert are very good WR's and both will play this year. Dottin was also highly recruiting. Meiga and Black are interesting and we'll see what shakes out of them. I don't just read this site simply because this site really lacks from real analysis and you get dumb threads like this. Parker Washington is not your average frosh and how many true frosh have started game 1 for JF? He still tends to work them in....yet on day one he jumped everyone and has people buzzing. Lambert also has a really good buzz and this is from senior guys in the locker-room. Then we act like all is lost in the passing game when we have a legit top 3 TE with incredible depth behind him. We also have a veteran OL with a veteran QB, so I'm sorry that some people still want to play the woe is me card.

Veteran QB - check
Veteran RB's - check
Veteran OL - check
Veteran TE's - check
Veteran WR's - 1/2 a check.....oh well, such is life in college football with turnover every year.

I never said we were going to stink. My prediction is actually 7-1 or 6-2. I see us losing to Ohio State (they simply have too much talent) and then a clunker somewhere. Never did I say we were going to stink. I said the WR position is a weak spot. It will could very easily cause us trouble all year. IMO, we SHOULD have enough talent to over-come the WRd position. Even with WR being a weak spot, I do not see teams like Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland... being able to take advantage. Ohio State will definitely exploit it and make us 1-dimensional. And it could make Offense difficult vs. the likes of Michigan & Iowa.

If we had a depth chart at WR, I'd really like this team to be a threat to make the CFP.

Your clichés amuse me. We have no idea what Paul C will do with the O, so STFU with your bets. I'll watch this team and won't cry like a little b!tch ahead of time. How about this, break down how many teams played us mostly man the last 5 years and compare it to this year.....just form comparisons sake. Oh wait....it may just open your eyes up.

Oh... getting personal and turning to personal attacks vs. keeping it as a football debate. You are so pathetic.

Reactions: Cincinnati Kid
Oh... getting personal and turning to personal attacks vs. keeping it as a football debate. You are so pathetic.
It's not a debate, it's a blind guess on players and an offense you haven't seen take a snap yet. You're saying PSU will struggle more against the better teams.....well no kidding. That really isn't earth shattering. I just happen to think 2-3 of the frosh WR's are better than you think and were touted that way elsewhere for a long time. Wiltfong was on the Parker W train for a long time....way before he was put in as a #1 in the slot as a true frosh. Then you hear Franklin and George's comments on him and Lambert....it may not be as dire as you think it is. Basically you're upset because they "could" lose 1-2 games and you already have the reasons why made up in your head. Fine, run with the guess....I don't care.

It's easy to say they will lose 1-2 and say I'm happy I was wrong later. Of course that is a safe bet. Does the DL get pressure on the QB's this year? Do the safeties play better? There are plenty, PLENTY of things that swing a W to a L and it's not just one position group. It's absurd to say that is the only thing that would cost PSU a game or two this year...absurd.

Huh. Did you even watch the game? Ohio State was controlling the game and then JK Dobbins suffered the ankle injury. When Dobbins went down with the ankle, then Ohio State did not control the run game. It took a superman run by Trevor Lawrence. And "Clemson dominated".... Ohio State was driving the winning TD and Justin Fields threw an INT in the end-zone when he and the receiver mis-read each other. Ohio State could have easily scored there and gone up 30-29. How was that "dominated"....... Me thinks you watch games with a bias against Ohio State.
From 3 minutes to go in the first half until the end of the game Clemson outscored Ohio St 29 - 7. That is domination no matter how many if's and but's are thrown in there. It was domination on par with the 31-0 from their previous meeting. Clemson just owns Ohio State. They own a lot of opponents. Don't get bent out of shape over it.

That just isn't elite. If you are elite, you can go toe to toe like Alabama does. Ohio State and Notre Dame can get to that game but then just prove over and over that they don't belong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT