ADVERTISEMENT

Death Threat to PSU Beta Members

Do I like the guys I spent most of my College life with??? Yep!!! Liked the guys I was with at Lyons Hall too, but most of us ended up in Fraternities.

Do I like you? Nope.
You probably would if you met me. I had plenty of friends (and several family members) in fraternities, but the Jim Delany friendship is maybe a bridge too far ;):D

The young man died as a result of his actions. He made an awful lot of stupid choices. No one forced him to join a frat, no one forced him to join Beta, no one forced him to drink underage, no one forced him to participate in hazing rituals, and no one forced him to drink to that level of excess. Tim Piazza had the opportunity to take many left turns during this ordeal and CHOSE not to do so. If he never fell, he'd be perpetuating the very same disgusting hazing activities.

That said, he didn't deserve to die and the actions of others that night are questionable at best, criminal at worst. That's for a judge & jury to decide--not me.

Let's call it like it is: Piazza made a ton of idiotic choices, and the frat bros made idiotic choices. The result of said terrible choices, on both sides, is tragic.
Oh, he died as a result of choices he made. He had a role in his death. But that doesn't mean others weren't equally culpable.

Yes, innocent until proven guilty. But we all know that sometimes what's known about a case in public is pretty much enough to come to some conclusions. That doesn't mean we suspend their constitutional rights.

We will just have to differ on that point. After 44 years in the practice of law, I am of the opinion that there is never enough known about a case in public to "come to some conclusions". I understand it happens all the time, but often what seems so conclusive before a trial proves to be incorrect during it. This is why it is so difficult to find an impartial jury. If you were summoned, and they asked you "have you come to any conclusions about this case", you would, being an honest man, answer "Yes, I have" and you would be headed home. You would not be alone.

If I was lucky enough to be an 18 or 19 year old kid again, what do you think I would rather do? Go through pledging again with all the hazing involved so I can get my pick of the hottest girls on campus? Or stay in the dorms having to meet transient friends every year and having to go to apartment parties with a 10 to 1 guy to girl ratio? You be the judge. Every time I get in a car, I know I can be killed, but I do it anyway, because it gets me where I want to go.

Surely you're not reducing the possibilities of life at PSU to your either or proposition? I know there were greater possibilities when I was an undergraduate.

Reactions: jaylobi and acg116
He makes it sound like Dorm Parties are like a collection of hobos under an Interstate Overpass - "transients" drinking Sterno and surrounding the odd female hobo ;)
Last time I checked there were students living in apartments, condos, townhouses and houses off-campus too.

Reactions: humpydudas19
Last time I checked there were students living who live in apartments, condos, townhouses and houses off-campus too.
Yes, but the hottest girls apparently can only be found at frat parties and only will hook up if you're a member of said frat. Who knew?

If you think Beta is unique in hazing, drinking, and drug use among fraternities at Penn State and around the country, you are mistaken. And I doubt it was much different 10, 20, or 30 years ago.

No doubt - not only not much different than frats decades ago, but nor really all that much different from the general student population. College kids are living on their own for the fist time in their lives - I'm so shocked that "the college experience" is as much about partying and socializing as it is about academics.... Let's put it this way, this @sshole is a special kind of hypocritical, self-righeous prick and douche-bag (as are the corrupt POS scumbag lawyers turned politicians and public servants that he has routinely supported) as he quite clearly proved in The Second Mile Fraud / corrupt BOT / corrupt GOP Junta Protection campaign. He has zero regard for individuals guaranteed and protected "inalienable rights" and protections under both the US and PA Constitutions.

Last edited:
We will just have to differ on that point. After 44 years in the practice of law, I am of the opinion that there is never enough known about a case in public to "come to some conclusions". I understand it happens all the time, but often what seems so conclusive before a trial proves to be incorrect during it. This is why it is so difficult to find an impartial jury. If you were summoned, and they asked you "have you come to any conclusions about this case", you would, being an honest man, answer "Yes, I have" and you would be headed home. You would not be alone.
True, but there's also what you "know," and what you can prove in a court of law. But that's a whole other subject.

A man can should and kill someone in front of 10
witnesses and have it recorded, and the law says he's innocent until proven guilty. But anyone with a brain knows he's guilty.

Now, sometimes (usually?) the "facts" out there are slanted towards the prosecution, as the defense will hold its cards close to the vest. So, yeah, sometimes it's not as cut and dried as it appears. The C/S/S debacle is a prime example.

But in this case, I think it's pretty clear at a minimum they did nothing to help him when he clearly needed help, and then tried to cover their tracks.

Reactions: Judge Smails
We're talking about a 45-minute event where pledges took a 5-second swig from a vodka bottle, and then chugged a few beers. On a scale of 1-10 in "hazing" this is like a -2. I can't even figure out how the kid got as drunk as was alleged.
Reports are that it was, in fact, a nineteen (19) minute event. (Recall that there were girls from Trilogy waiting upstairs for a party with these boys.)

Just how much booze could he have ingested in nineteen minutes?

Last time I checked there were students living in apartments, condos, townhouses and houses off-campus too.
When I see my brother and his wife this weekend, I'll have to tell them how fortunate they were to meet each other and get married, with them living in dorms/apartments and all, and then I'll have to counsel their kids to join a fraternity like me so they don't tempt fate with meeting someone.

I can't believe the reductionist thinking that goes on in these conversations....

Reports are that it was, in fact, a nineteen (19) minute event. (Recall that there were girls from Trilogy waiting upstairs for a party with these boys.)

Enough, apparently. I doubt he was sipping a mai tai on the veranda. Probably chugging it or using a funnel.

Reactions: acg116

serious? Alot. if you're chugging hard alcohol out of a bottle, you can get messed up fast.

There is a lynch mob mentality in this country that is getting worse. Many people hear a 30 second sound bite, make a judgment as to guilt or innocence, and move on, carrying their conclusions with them and passing them on to others. It is appalling and it is out of control.

This sh1t has been going on since the printing press, radio, tv and now, the internet.

In my time, Ive seen:

...the Central Park Five
...Iran/Contra
...Savings&Loans

through Paterno, Cosby and now Trump/Russia.

Why is this? It is a SERIOUS lack of fundamental education in critical thinking skills. It permeates through every society in every corner of the world. Naked Apes reach adolescence and their thinking doesn't budge the remainder of their life. IT STINKS! PEOPLE STINK!

HUMANITY IS DOOMED!

19836439635_f422ce27d9.jpg

LOL at all of the sanctimonious know-nothings who think this is the greatest hazing conspiracy in the world. We're talking about a 45-minute event where pledges took a 5-second swig from a vodka bottle, and then chugged a few beers. On a scale of 1-10 in "hazing" this is like a -2. I can't even figure out how the kid got as drunk as was alleged. Does the video show all of the other pledges passing out from this incredible drinking event?
Look dumb a$$........did you see the video? Typical BLAME THE DEAD GUY!

True, but there's also what you "know," and what you can prove in a court of law. But that's a whole other subject.
.........................................................................................
But in this case, I think it's pretty clear at a minimum they did nothing to help him when he clearly needed help, and then tried to cover their tracks.

Again, I will disagree. Your final sentence is a perfect example of what I am talking about. To me, nothing is clear in this case. Perhaps you were there that night. I was not. Perhaps you have seen the tapes. I have not. Perhaps you have talked to witnesses. I have not. Perhaps you were at the Preliminary Hearing. I was not. Because I was not there, did not see the tapes, have not talked to witnesses, and was not at the Preliminary Hearing, I am going to withhold making any judgment about anything related to this case until there is a trial, with all of its attendant safeguards, including cross examination. I know this is a minority position, but it is the way our legal system is supposed to operate, and largely did until technology made everything subject to instant judgment. I will not belabor this further. I just hope these young men get a fair trial and, guilty or innocent, that justice is served. I have my doubts.

This sh1t has been going on since the printing press, radio, tv and now, the internet.

In my time, Ive seen:

...the Central Park Five
...Iran/Contra
...Savings&Loans

through Paterno, Cosby and now Trump/Russia.

Why is this? It is a SERIOUS lack of fundamental education in critical thinking skills. It permeates through every society in every corner of the world. Naked Apes reach adolescence and their thinking doesn't budge the remainder of their life. IT STINKS! PEOPLE STINK!

HUMANITY IS DOOMED!

19836439635_f422ce27d9.jpg
I don't often agree with you Mack_Daddy, but with this post, I am getting closer. ;)

Reactions: bjf1991
Accountability "should" be for everyone. I know I'm dreaming :)
Ernie McCracken, "I'm finally above the law".

Enough, apparently. I doubt he was sipping a mai tai on the veranda. Probably chugging it or using a funnel.
So glad to learn that you have this whole incident figured out, and that a trial is really unnecessary. You are no doubt basing your conclusions on the video evidence. But let's be a bit more accurate about that. What we have to date is largely Stacy Parks Milker's presentation of that video.

Would it surprise you to learn that the Beta Housing Coriporation turned over tapes (or a hard drive, I'm not sure which) that reportedly contained up to 12 hours of footage? Or to learn that SPM had it edited down to three hours in order to present it to the grand jury?

Would it surprise you to learn that the footage NOT shown aooarently contains more than a few images of Piazza consuming alcohol at the party with Trilogy (I.e., of his own volition?)

Would it surprise you to learn that the portion of the video NOT shown apparently contains considerable footage of the Beta brothers caring for (and conversing with) Piazza after his first fall?

Why do you suppose Stacy Parks Miller has been so reluctant to return to the Beta Housing Corporation the original of these videos, or to even give them a forensic copy?

I'm not interested in serving as designated apologist for these young men. They made some poor choices. But I AM interested in the boys who were charged with crimes getting a fair trial in court, rather than a sham trial in the media. And I am interested in my son and his friends not getting shot next fall, upon their return to school. After what happened the other day in both Alexandria and San Francisco, the notion does not appear so far fetched to me.

Last edited:
So glad to learn that you have this whole incident figured out, and that a trial is really unnecessary. You are no doubt basing your conclusions on the video evidence. But let's be a bit more accurate about that. What we have to date is largely Stacy Parks Milker's presentation of that video.

Would it surprise you to learn that the Beta Housing Coriporation turned over tapes (or a hard drive, I'm not sure which) that reportedly contained up to 12 hours of footage? Or to learn that SPM had it edited down to three hours in order to present it to the grand jury?

Would it surprise you to learn that the footage NOT shown aooarently contains more than a few images of Piazza consuming alcohol at the party with Trilogy (I.e., of his own volition?)

Would it surprise you to learn that the portion of the video NOT shown apparently contains considerable footage of the Beta brothers caring for (and conversing with) Piazza after his first fall?

Why do you suppose Stacy Parks Miller has been so reluctant to return to the Beta Housing Corporation the original of these videos, or to even give them a forensic copy?

I'm not interested in serving as designated apologist for these young men. They made some poor choices. But I AM interested in the boys who were charged with crimes getting a fair trial in court, rather than a sham trial in the media. And I am interested in my son and his friends not getting shot next fall, upon their return to school. After what happened the other day in both Alexandria and San Francisco, the notion does not appear
so far fetched to me.
It amazes me that people put their trust and faith in this SPM woman. She just lost her re-election bid by 30%+ for a reason. I guess blue bandit voted for her. That seems to be about it.

I'm not interested in serving as designated apologist for these young men. They made some poor choices. But I AM interested in the boys who were charged with crimes getting a fair trial in court, rather than a sham trial in the media. And I am interested in my son and his friends not getting shot next fall, upon their return to school. After what happened the other day in both Alexandria and San Francisco, the notion does not appear so far fetched to me.
So, I'll take your word that all of that is true. but that is irrelevant to your question of "how much alcohol could he have consumed in 19 minutes", to which the poster posted a not far fetched hypothetical of how you could get hammered in 19 minutes. And it's terrible that your son and friends are getting death threats, maybe they should transfer? Not because they deserve to have their lives upended, but it seems like it would be a pretty easy call to make if you are that worried. And I know, that isn't equitable, fair, etc., but nothing about this mess from start to finish has been "fair".

Look dumb a$$........did you see the video? Typical BLAME THE DEAD GUY!

The IM statute requires the prosecutor to prove that the defendants' reckless act(s) were the "direct cause" of the death. So, yeah, dead guy's own actions are always at issue if they undermine the prosecutor's case.

Next time, get a clue.

Hmm. Let's see. I know - hyperbole. You get the point though.

232811.jpg

Reactions: acg116
So, I'll take your word that all of that is true. but that is irrelevant to your question of "how much alcohol could he have consumed in 19 minutes", to which the poster posted a not far fetched hypothetical of how you could get hammered in 19 minutes. And it's terrible that your son and friends are getting death threats, maybe they should transfer? Not because they deserve to have their lives upended, but it seems like it would be a pretty easy call to make if you are that worried. And I know, that isn't equitable, fair, etc., but nothing about this mess from start to finish has been "fair".

Instead of a transfer, like this tool suggests, I have three words for you: Concealed Carry Permit.

Reactions: MtNittany

Plenty. They had hard alcohol.

I would readily admit that it is possible to get WAY drunk in just a few minutes if you are chugging hard alcohol (ugh), but the accounts of the "Gauntlet" indicate that Piazza and his fellow new pledges spent a portion of their time trying to toss ping pong balls into cups, trying to answer trivia questions, etc, and that what they drank in those nineteen minutes was a couple of beers and a couple of shots of alcohol. So I'm guessing it was not nineteen straight minutes of pulling on a vodka bottle. Presumably, actual testimony at trial will elucidate this.

Moreover, video that shows Piazza drinking at the party (rather than in a pledging ceremony) runs counter to the media narrative that he was forced to drink voluminous quantities of booze in a hazing ceremony that ran well into the night. There are plenty of media reports that paint that exact picture. You would call that video evidence irrelevant?

Instead of a transfer, like this tool suggests, I have three words for you: Concealed Carry Permit.
or that, but if we're playing the odds I'm pretty sure being on a different campus is probably a more effective way of not being killed than having a gun. But hey, if you'd prefer to get into a shoot out rather than avoid the conflict, to each his own tough guy.

Reactions: RobBliz
I would readily admit that it is possible to get WAY drunk in just a few minutes if you are chugging hard alcohol (ugh), but the accounts of the "Gauntlet" indicate that Piazza and his fellow new pledges spent a portion of their time trying to toss ping pong balls into cups, trying to answer trivia questions, etc, and that what they drank was a couple of beers and a couple of shots of alcohol. So I'm guessing it was not nineteen straight minutes of pulling on a vodka bottle. Presumably, actual testimony at trial will elucidate this.

Moreover, video that shows Piazza drinking at the party (rather than in a pledging ceremony) runs counter to the media narrative that he was forced to drink voluminous quantities of booze in a hazing ceremony that ran well into the night. There are plenty of media reports that paint that exact picture. You would call that irrelevant?
It's irrelevant to the specific question you ask (how drunk can you get in 19 minutes). If you want better answers, ask better questions. I have no idea what happened (and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that miller is sensationalizing things), but if you're asking the DA to be sharp with details, people defending Beta should be as well.

Reporters who viewed the tape indicated it is clear that Piazza was in deep, deep trouble for hours before 911 was called. The people around him could clearly see that and dicked around doing nothing instead of getting him help.

Hours into the night, the video showed Piazza — alone in the darkened main room of the fraternity house — standing up, stumbling and falling repeatedly. At one point, he rises to his knees and cradles his head in his hands. At another, he lies in a fetal position. No one helps. A bare-chested Piazza appears to be alone for hours as he writhes and rolls around on the floor.

“This young man is squirming around because he’s in the worst pain of his life,” Parks Miller told the judge.

By the next morning, when he had spent hours untouched after falling down a flight of stairs for the second time, Piazza “looked dead,” Scicchitano testified. “He looked like a corpse.”

Reactions: jaylobi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT