ADVERTISEMENT

Dantonio

NittanyLion14

Oct 1, 2003
Interesting to see Dantonio's demeanor yesterday versus 7 years ago when the roles were reserved.

In 2008 MSU was #17 when they came to Beaver Stadium and we all know PSU did to them what MSU did to the Lions yesterday.

In that game Dantonio was not happy about a TD pass from Devlin to Butler with 12:50 left in the 4th that made it 49-7. He was so mad actually that he called two timeouts in the last 10 seconds to prolong the game and delay the celebration.

Fast forward to yesterday when he is calling running plays to his center, dancing on the sideline and shuffling QB's in and out. I have no problem with him celebrating but it's funny how he felt differently being on the other sideline 7 years ago.

Interesting to see Dantonio's demeanor yesterday versus 7 years ago when the roles were reserved.

In 2008 MSU was #17 when they came to Beaver Stadium and we all know PSU did to them what MSU did to the Lions yesterday.

In that game Dantonio was not happy about a TD pass from Devlin to Butler with 12:50 left in the 4th that made it 49-7. He was so mad actually that he called two timeouts in the last 10 seconds to prolong the game and delay the celebration.

Fast forward to yesterday when he is calling running plays to his center, dancing on the sideline and shuffling QB's in and out. I have no problem with him celebrating but it's funny how he felt differently being on the other sideline 7 years ago.
POS then, POS now......but he can coach....

Remember that game well. Bitterly cold with snow flurries the whole game. Took some of the sting out of the Iowa loss but not much given the stakes.

Dantonio seemed kind of immature at the time but now seems to have grown into his role.

Reactions: cookerly77
You fumbled on your own 8 yard line and he gave a senior center a hand off and he went nearly untouched into the end zone. You threw a pick six to a DT on like your own 20 yard line. You had a fumble returned for a TD. You threw a pick in the end zone on your first drive.

We put in back ups for the last half of the 4th quarter. Literally guys that have not played and are just walk on/practice squad guys. It was one sided, so Dantonio gave opportunities to kids that will go on to be accountants or sales reps or whatever they go into. It will be a good story for them to talk about the time they made a tackle against Penn State.

I'd love to tak about how we went out of our way to stomp you but half our points were from turnovers and some of them were self induced. You aren't at the level of MSU currently. It will take time to rebuild your program but ripping on those that beat you in the mean time looks poorly.

I
You fumbled on your own 8 yard line and he gave a senior center a hand off and he went nearly untouched into the end zone. You threw a pick six to a DT on like your own 20 yard line. You had a fumble returned for a TD. You threw a pick in the end zone on your first drive.

We put in back ups for the last half of the 4th quarter. Literally guys that have not played and are just walk on/practice squad guys. It was one sided, so Dantonio gave opportunities to kids that will go on to be accountants or sales reps or whatever they go into. It will be a good story for them to talk about the time they made a tackle against Penn State.

I'd love to tak about how we went out of our way to stomp you but half our points were from turnovers and some of them were self induced. You aren't at the level of MSU currently. It will take time to rebuild your program but ripping on those that beat you in the mean time looks poorly.

I said I have no problem with what he did, just pointing out the differences.

You're right. Penn State was it's own worst enemy yesterday. I don't give one crap about how Dantonio does his business. It is our team's job to stop them. They didn't, so that is on them. I'm also not one of our fans who denigrate other teams and coaches out of hand. I believe Dantonio is a hell of a coach, and has done a great job at MSU.

You are 100% correct sir!

You're right. Penn State was it's own worst enemy yesterday. I don't give one crap about how Dantonio does his business. It is our team's job to stop them. They didn't, so that is on them. I'm also not one of our fans who denigrate other teams and coaches out of hand. I believe Dantonio is a hell of a coach, and has done a great job at MSU.

I didn't want to come off wrong either. I'm not a PSU hater. Just been skimming through some threads on this boring Sunday here. I just really don't think Dantonio tried to run up the score.

Have to agree, MSU was not running up the score, PSU was giving points away like Christmas came early. Good luck MSU, hope you go on to win the National Championship.

Reactions: EPC FAN
I thought Dantonio's comments after the game we're classy. I also liked that he didn't whine about the horrible call during the Nebraska game. If he's been classless I'm not aware of it. I think Sparty wins on Saturday.

I think Ferentz and the Hawkeyes take the Spartans this Saturday. Iowa is very underrated.
Underrated? They are in the top four. How high should they be? I think the opposite is true. How in the hell does anyone know how good they are? They have played one team in the current top 25 of the only rankings that are truly qualitative and only two others who have winning records. Underrated ? Blessed not to have had to play the powers in this conference until next week. Mockery of a sham.

The nice thing about amateur sports......What goes around come around. PSU will be back. A program with so many underclassmen. We will have our turn once again.

Underrated? They are in the top four. How high should they be? I think the opposite is true. How in the hell does anyone know how good they are? They have played one team in the current top 25 of the only rankings that are truly qualitative and only two others who have winning records. Underrated ? Blessed not to have had to play the powers in this conference until next week. Mockery of a sham.

Sounds like what was said about Penn State a long time ago. Then Penn State began playing those teams and beating their asses. Iowa can't help who they play, in conference. They play Big XII and instate rival, Iowa State OOC. They get a chance to shut everyone up next Saturday night. Kirk is a good coach. Don't sleep on his team.

I don't mind getting all the kids playing time. However, I do believe handing off to a lineman ( not his position) is rubbing it in. I have no idea how you ever beat Ohio State. They must have slept through the whole game.

I can't let this go unchallenged. Coach Dantonio is well known for taking a knee inside the ten yard line and not piling up style points. Big deal he put a 2nd string QB in to throw a pass to a former 4 star player #5 at the end of the game that never found himself in the 2 deep. Seriously that's all that was.

Honestly, the guy maybe the best coach in College Football. He has accomplished more with less, than anyone I can remember. I won't criticize what I envy.

PennStateNate said:
I remember a time when our fan base never whined. We took losses like pros, now every time we lose its whining.

So to show your disapproval you decide to whine about what you consider whining? I remember when we lost games because the other teams executed better, and/or were coached better. We didn't lose because of bouncing passes, lost replay feeds, and other blatantly bad calls. It's never whining to discuss the truth about B10 officiating, and true PSU fan will not just bend over and take it.

Reactions: m48tank
I can't let this go unchallenged. Coach Dantonio is well known for taking a knee inside the ten yard line and not piling up style points. Big deal he put a 2nd string QB in to throw a pass to a former 4 star player #5 at the end of the game that never found himself in the 2 deep. Seriously that's all that was.

You definitely have the 2 of the best coaches in the country at Sparty. Congrats on the win and go win the conference and the national title. You whipped my alma mater's football team yesterday but maybe we can live up to a rivalry game down the road worth a division title and B1G title game.

Sounds like what was said about Penn State a long time ago. Then Penn State began playing those teams and beating their asses. Iowa can't help who they play, in conference. They play Big XII and instate rival, Iowa State OOC. They get a chance to shut everyone up next Saturday night. Kirk is a good coach. Don't sleep on his team.
I understand schedules are made in advance so to some extent it's out of ur control. But that entirely misses the point. The point is four get to go. Who are the best four under the championship analysis. So if u happen to have a good group of guys one year but also a weak schedule that's what ur stuck with. The "we played everyone they put in front of us " argument is illusory. It means nothing. Iowas schedule is more akin to Houston Memphis and the like than a true big ten power.

Iowa state.
I understand schedules are made in advance so to some extent it's out of ur control. But that entirely misses the point. The point is four get to go. Who are the best four under the championship analysis. So if u happen to have a good group of guys one year but also a weak schedule that's what ur stuck with. The "we played everyone they put in front of us " argument is illusory. It means nothing. Iowas schedule is more akin to Houston Memphis and the like than a true big ten power.
Iowa state 3-9. My point is should a team with wins over only 3 teams with winning records be in our national top four at this point in time ? Seems crazy to me

Iowa state.

Iowa state 3-9. My point is should a team with wins over only 3 teams with winning records be in our national top four at this point in time ? Seems crazy to me
My point is, we will find out next Saturday night. They win the Big Ten championship, they're in. It is as simple as that.

You made my point. Underrated in that everyone is dissing them. Let's see how Sparty does vs. them.

Last edited:

I remember that game and JoePa was not happy that dantonio was calling those TO's. He wanted to kick his @ss but Joe had too much class.

Iowa state.

So if we were undefeated would you be okay with us not being in the Top 4 based on our schedule?

Of course not. That would mean we beat OSU msu temple um all ranked and all having winning records.
Again, this is my point. They have beaten one ranked team in the only truly qualitative poll and played two others with winning records. That would be apples and oranges.

You made my point. Underrated in that everyone is dissing them. Let's see how Sparty does vs. them.
But there is a reason to diss. They have a 60 schedule strength the other three in the top four are too 20 with Alabama and Oklahoma being top ten. Each of the other three have beaten at least five teams with winning records. It's like highlights magazine...which one doesn't belong?

But there is a reason to diss. They have a 60 schedule strength the other three in the top four are too 20 with Alabama and Oklahoma being top ten. Each of the other three have beaten at least five teams with winning records. It's like highlights magazine...which one doesn't belong?
Certainly they can beat sparty. But when others are walking through a mine field to get there while Iowa has to dodge one big cannon it seems inequitable. Let's see what happens.

Certainly they can beat sparty. But when others are walking through a mine field to get there while Iowa has to dodge one big cannon it seems inequitable. Let's see what happens.
See, that is the kind of attitudeI really hate about college football when opinions and style points are more important than who actually wins. If you have one more point than your opponent, no matter how nice or ugly it was, who really cares? So if Iowa wins, could they potentially be shut out of the final four because they don't "look the part"? Just remember all the times we here at PSU got screwed because of opinions. Bottom line, prove it on the field.

See, that is the kind of attitudeI really hate about college football when opinions and style points are more important than who actually wins. If you have one more point than your opponent, no matter how nice or ugly it was, who really cares? So if Iowa wins, could they potentially be shut out of the final four because they don't "look the part"? Just remember all the times we here at PSU got screwed because of opinions. Bottom line, prove it on the field.
Ok then. You then necessarily believe that Memphis and Houston and temple should have been ranked much much higher before each of them suffered an untimely loss? Missed the point. It's a very exclusive club where u choose only four on"get to prove it on the field". Again schedule strength 40 slots behind the worst of the other 3.

Ok then. You then necessarily believe that Memphis and Houston and temple should have been ranked much much higher before each of them suffered an untimely loss? Missed the point. It's a very exclusive club where u choose only four on"get to prove it on the field". Again schedule strength 40 slots behind the worst of the other 3.
No. If they win they will not be shit out but they certainly will have had the easiest path by a long shot.

Well do I think they are the 4th best team in College Football? No! Do I think it is fair to hold it against them for beating every team they were scheduled to play? No. This will work itself out in the end. Just be patient.

The nice thing about amateur sports......What goes around come around. PSU will be back. A program with so many underclassmen. We will have our turn once again.

My wife and I were at the PSU-MSU game on Saturday. As posted in another thread, the MSU fans were good to us all day. MSU fans sitting behind us were very good about the outcome. They have been MSU season-ticket holders for over 20 years, and one guy in the group said that he knows how my wife and I felt because he sat through years of bad MSU football. He felt bad about what happened to Joe, was well aware of what PSU has gone through the last few years, and expressed confidence that Franklin would turn things around. Great fans in East Lansing.

Honestly, the guy maybe the best coach in College Football. He has accomplished more with less, than anyone I can remember. I won't criticize what I envy.

He's the best coach in the B1G. I really like the way his teams play. They remind me of many of Joe's teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT