ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Patrick Reporting Mutual Interest Franklin and U$C

The "right" HC will get any program going...assuming they get the right guy this time (they're only one out of eight...Carroll... in the last forty years), who will much notice or give a rat's ass in a region as dominated by pro sports as LA?. Per the locals, they have to hire Hollywood strap hangers occasionally to field a band.
Depends on what your definition of getting it going is. Building a consistent top 10 program takes a lot more than the right coach.

Unless you are Bama, there are always other programs that could be more attractive. Just because JoePa stayed here forever doesn’t mean that anyone else will. I hope CJF stays, but you are kidding yourself if you think there aren’t other attractive options out there.
PSU is a top 10 destination offering top 10 pay. There are other top college coaching jobs but not many.

No one is saying the program will crumble that's nonsense. Almost as nonsensical as pretending that a Coach of Franklin's quality can easily be replaced.
But I would say the odds of getting a coach that makes us consistently 8-4 or 7-5 is far greater than getting one that gets us to a NC.

Prior to Pete Carroll, they didn’t have a 10 win season since 1988. Then Carroll comes in and cheats his ass off then leaves. Out side of him, they’ve had 7 different coaches and a whopping 5 double digit win seasons since 1988….they’re not what they used to be. How long before we can shoot that dead horse?
You can't spell SUCK without USC

The "right" HC will get any program going...assuming they get the right guy this time (they're only one out of eight...Carroll... in the last forty years), who will much notice or give a rat's ass in a region as dominated by pro sports as LA?. Per the locals, they have to hire Hollywood strap hangers occasionally to field a band.

Not necessarily true - Frost is probably the right coach for Nebraska but they’ll never be relevant again unless Meyer or Saban decide to retire in Lincoln.

Reactions: PSUoh90
It might not crumble, or it might…hello Miami, Nebraska, FSU. Bottom line is thinking we can just plug in another James Franklin easily is way off base.
Funny how some fans think winning is their birthright.....Nebraska would "kill" to have James Franklin like results.....but "WE DESERVE BETTER"
Nebraska deserved better than 10-2, this led them to 8-4.........they have bettered themselves all the way to 5-7.

Reactions: 77 PSU
USC won't have to worry - they'll be fine whatever happens. Oregon is probably safe too. The network money may not be as good in the Pac 12, but their athletics programs are unrivaled as a whole. Stanford, UCLA, and USC each have over 100 NCAA National Championships - the next closest is Oklahoma State with 52 (remarkable note - all 52 NCAA Championships Oklahoma State has are in men's sports). By comparison, Penn State has 51 (and is best in the B1G).
I just see the high profile coaches sitting tight until the real realignment takes place, and I think that it's coming soon. Hell, Tom even removed the PSU future schedules off of the Sticky thread. What does he know he's not telling us? 😉

USC beat Franklin’s best team to date. If they’re not a blue blood, neither is Penn State.
That’s one game in one year….PSU has 16 double digit win seasons since 1979 compared to USC’s 6. Penn State isn’t firing coaches every few years due to lack of production. We may not be a blue blood, but we’re light years ahead of USC.

But I would say the odds of getting a coach that makes us consistently 8-4 or 7-5 is far greater than getting one that gets us to a NC.
I view moving on from a coach like Franklin, much like the baseball manager who replaces his ace starter in the 7th to "match" up with his bullpen. My theory is that if you make enough changes, you are going to plug in someone who doesn't have the "stuff" today.
Thinking that Franklin can easily be replaced with someone who will have equal or better success is Fanboy Fools Gold.

Funny how some fans think winning is their birthright.....Nebraska would "kill" to have James Franklin like results.....but "WE DESERVE BETTER"
Nebraska deserved better than 10-2, this led them to 8-4.........they have bettered themselves all the way to 5-7.
Well, if the coach doesn’t win us a NC within three years, he needs to be gone and bring in the next guy….that’s what we deserve.

Not necessarily true - Frost is probably the right coach for Nebraska but they’ll never be relevant again unless Meyer or Saban decide to retire in Lincoln.
No offense to James, but comparing him to Saban or Meyer is more than a bit of a stretch. His last two recruiting classes were unremarkable by PSU standards (excluding Joe's twilight years), and last season was a dumpster fire.

I view moving on from a coach like Franklin, much like the baseball manager who replaces his ace starter in the 7th to "match" up with his bullpen.
Baseball players are under contract. They don't have access to a portal.

It might not crumble, or it might…hello Miami, Nebraska, FSU. Bottom line is thinking we can just plug in another James Franklin easily is way off base.

I really don't want to lose Franklin and somewhat agree, but it might be rational to expect it to become reality at some point. I'd personally like to think our program is built on more than one person and that we would be okay. I remember thinking losing BOB would be awful, but I honestly thought Franklin was an upgrade. Im not going to name coaches, because many of them might be coordinators in the NFL or college, or unconsidered guys. Franklin was not a must have when we got him(i loved the hire). It would set the program back for sure, but I just don't know what the rational answer is if he leaves. He makes a ton of money, so clearly we are willing to spend, I think we could get a competent coach with similar returns as franklin and if not, so be it, franklin at that point didnt want to be here anymore so what are we to do? Again, the programs you referenced FIRED coaches with varying degrees of success, if franklin leaves, what do you want us to do? It is what it is.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
I really don't want to lose Franklin and somewhat agree, but it might be rational to expect it to become reality at some point. I'd personally like to think our program is built on more than one person and that we would be okay. I remember thinking losing BOB would be awful, but I honestly thought Franklin was an upgrade. Im not going to name coaches, because many of them might be coordinators in the NFL or college, or unconsidered guys. Franklin was not a must have when we got him(i loved the hire). It would set the program back for sure, but I just don't know what the rational answer is if he leaves. He makes a ton of money, so clearly we are willing to spend, I think we could get a competent coach with similar returns as franklin and if not, so be it, franklin at that point didnt want to be here anymore so what are we to do? Again, the programs you referenced FIRED coaches with varying degrees of success, if franklin leaves, what do you want us to do? It is what it is.
I just don’t think he will leave, as many on here seem to think.

Reactions: marshall23
No offense to James, but comparing him to Saban or Meyer is more than a bit of a stretch. His last two recruiting classes were unremarkable by PSU standards (excluding Joe's twilight years), and last season was a dumpster fire.

I wasn’t comparing them; no comparison.

Listening to Rece Davis and David Pollack talk about the USC job and their top choices were Matt Campbell and Matt Rhule.

Why isn't it? The thing about USC is they have pretty average facilities, don't have much of a community feeling, and fairly fairweather fans. But, it's a recruiting MONSTER with the right coach. The right coach there (brings excitement to the program, gets students/fans/alums interested, wins) won't have to compete much to recruit well. USC under Carroll was the only school that could compete with Alabama (and beat them several years). As recently as 2017-2018 USC has had top five recruiting classes. It won't take much to get that program on track and in the playoffs;

There is absolutely nothing Franklin can do to shut this down. If he came out and said; I am absolutely not interested in the USC job, the talking heads would immediately pivot to calling it coach speak and point to Saban's denial of being interested in the Alabama job. They'd then wax on about how you can't be that emphatic about a denial without at least listening to the offer... and on and on blah blah blah

Look at FSU. Franklin says he's not interested in the FSU job. Dickheads like Jones write stories with words like "James Franklin has been linked with the FSU job and the interest appears mutual" Rumors are swirling that James Franklin met with officials from FSU. Franklin says he never met with officials from FSU.

These guys are going to write what they want. Best bet for Franklin is to ignore it publicly and address it privately with the team. **** all the sports writers and message board experts. The only thing they want is attention.
The problem is he never said he wasnt interested in the FSU job.

"I think I addressed it earlier in the year,” Franklin said after the game. “I’m hoping this thing is going to be over very quick but, like I told you, I love Penn State. I love our players. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.”

This is why the media spins this every time. He lets it live. Maybe he has no intention and is using it as leverage but if he would just say its great to be wanted but I am not going anywhere. I dont think there is a better job than the one I currently have.

It would make the media at least pause the next time there was a major job open. I am no fan of the media andk now they have no concern for facts or the truth. So, Yes some will write what they want but he wouldnt be on all of these lists the minute a guy is fired.

Look at these lists. Who else is at a top 10-12 job? Why is Franklin always the only one? Is it because Penn State isnt a top job? Or is it because Franklin opens the door for this? Maybe its both, but its hard to understand why is Franklin perceived as a possibility. Why not Lincoln Riley? Dan Mullen? Jimbo Fisher?

Reactions: grinagrin and Pride

"I think I addressed it earlier in the year,” Franklin said after the game. “I’m hoping this thing is going to be over very quick but, like I told you, I love Penn State. I love our players. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.”

This is why the media spins this every time. He lets it live. Maybe he has no intention and is using it as leverage but if he would just say its great to be wanted but I am not going anywhere. I dont think there is a better job than the one I currently have.

It would make the media at least pause the next time there was a major job open. I am no fan of the media andk now they have no concern for facts or the truth. So, Yes some will write what they want but he wouldnt be on all of these lists the minute a guy is fired.

Look at these lists. Who else is at a top 10-12 job? Why is Franklin always the only one? Is it because Penn State isnt a top job? Or is it because Franklin opens the door for this? Maybe its both, but its hard to understand why is Franklin perceived as a possibility. Why not Lincoln Riley? Dan Mullen? Jimbo Fisher?
Bingo...exactly...why is Franklin always on these lists whereas other HC's of equal or better standing are seldom if ever cited?

Reactions: grinagrin and Pride

https://www.google.com/amp/s/saturd...lin-denies-interest-in-florida-state-job/amp/

That’s one game in one year….PSU has 16 double digit win seasons since 1979 compared to USC’s 6. Penn State isn’t firing coaches every few years due to lack of production. We may not be a blue blood, but we’re light years ahead of USC.
You’re full of it. You can’t just “imagine away” Pete Carroll’s seasons and make a fair comparison. They have 12 ten win seasons going back to 1979.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I just don’t think he will leave, as many on here seem to think.
Personally I don't think he will leave either. But, it really does start to burn that he doesn't just come out and say, "NO WAY, am I interested". I get the whole game of getting more here at Penn State.....but when is enough, enough? For me, it would just be nice for him to squash the rumors immediately.

Reactions: PSU621 and psu2016
Well Franklin has been here a while now. Not sure if I buy this but he is leaving things in good shape if he goes. Either Pry or Yurcich (sp?) could take over the program

I'm not sure why everyone keeps asking 'why doesn't he just squash these rumors?'. I mean, I get people want to know why he doesn't but at this point it's clear his non-denial is intentional, right? It's happened enough times by now and he's never once issued a flat denial. It's not like he's never heard someone say "if you give a flat denial this will all go away". So we know it's on purpose.

The debate should be centered on why doesn't he? It's either a continuous leverage play because he has to fight tooth and nail with our administration for everything he wants or he's just not particularly happy at Penn State or thinks he can't win a title here. I suppose any of those could be true but the leverage play makes the most sense IMO.

Reactions: odshowtime
I’d go after Shiano if Franklin left. You might have to hold your nose, but he’s a good coach who could be successful at Penn State.

If USC comes to the table with a 5+ year deal averaging $8M/yr, I don't see PSU matching it. Also, I would say that USC is an easier job than Penn State. No academic expectations, easy to recruit people to LA, enough talent in state, and no PAC 12 programs comparable to Ohio State.

If Franklin wasn't interested in the job, he'd come right out and say it. He's used these situations in the past to leverage better deals, and there's no reason to believe he's not using this to try and get what he wants.

Another thought. Is it fair to expect CJF to blindly reject or not give consideration or discussion by his representatives to potential suiters? Yet even after 11 win seasons NY 6 bowl appearances and upset victories vs ranked teams on the road...Franklin is subjected to inane criticism.....4 day threads dissecting time outs......but he should never entertain interest from other institutions.

Well said but what worries me is not the "inane criticism" of fans but rather the attraction of getting out from under the rigged thumb of the Big Suck.

That enticement plus big-time bucks would be enough to cause anyone to give serious thought to another opportunity...if sufficiently profitable.

I fervently hope Franklin doesn't bail, but the people who think it would be no huge deal are kidding themselves. There aren't a lot of James Franklins available for hire.

Still, maybe I'm crazy, but all this may motivate our players Saturday. Therefore, I'm more confident than ever that we win the game. As for whether we cover the six points, I will need to pray for guidance... ;)

Reactions: marshall23
USC beat Franklin’s best team to date. If they’re not a blue blood, neither is Penn State.
So by your logic Ohio State is either on the same level or behind Purdue and Iowa? Is Clemson wallowing in the cesspool with Pitt and Syracuse?

So by your logic Ohio State is either on the same level or behind Purdue and Iowa? Is Clemson wallowing in the cesspool with Pitt and Syracuse?

No, my logic is sticking to the two programs at hand and how one - light years behind the other - beat the other, at it's peak power this decade - despite being 'dead'. Context is important here - as is sticking to the relevant programs.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
You’re full of it. You can’t just “imagine away” Pete Carroll’s seasons and make a fair comparison. They have 12 ten win seasons going back to 1979.
If you want to count cheating to get there, then yes, Carroll’s years count.

Bruce Feldman on Franklin as a USC HC Candidate:

James Franklin, Penn State head coach: The biggest wild card among the college head coaches is Franklin. He worked wonders at Vanderbilt and then restored Penn State into a powerhouse. He’s recruited very well, and has the kind of presence that would resonate well in Los Angeles. He knows he’s got a very good job in Happy Valley, not too far from where he grew up. Still, he’s now been there a long time and won a ton of games, but jobs like USC don’t come open often. This is probably one of the few situations in college football to which I think he would have a hard time saying no. Franklin has a buyout now, but at $4 million, and for USC that’s manageable for a top-tier coach.

He also mentions Southern California native and Clemson OC Tony Elliott as a dark horse candidate...FWIW.

If USC comes to the table with a 5+ year deal averaging $8M/yr, I don't see PSU matching it. Also, I would say that USC is an easier job than Penn State. No academic expectations, easy to recruit people to LA, enough talent in state, and no PAC 12 programs comparable to Ohio State.

If Franklin wasn't interested in the job, he'd come right out and say it. He's used these situations in the past to leverage better deals, and there's no reason to believe he's not using this to try and get what he wants.

Franklin is near $7mm now, so I don't think $8mm cuts it. It wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't offer that much and staffing, salaries and levels, could be a major sticking pint.

I’d go after Shiano if Franklin left. You might have to hold your nose, but he’s a good coach who could be successful at Penn State.
Absolutely...and no reason to "hold your nose". He's in his mid-fifties, has a ton of contacts in NJ, a season as an NFL HC...didn't go well but neither did Saban's...and is a good recruiter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT