ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Patrick Reporting Mutual Interest Franklin and U$C

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
Just heard this. He said his source is the same who sniffed out the B10 was cancelling the season last Aug. So a reliable source for him. Have no idea why Franklin would let this leak at this point 3 days before a huge game. May not have merit. Also could be true but does not mean anything. Just annoying that this is out there now.

Also DP now questioning his "Leadership Council" response to the rumors. What does that mean?

Just heard this. He said his source is the same who sniffed out the B10 was cancelling the season last Aug. So a reliable source for him. Have no idea why Franklin would let this leak at this point 3 days before a huge game. May not have merit. Also could be true but does not mean anything. Just annoying that this is out there now.

Also DP now questioning his "Leadership Council" response to the rumors. What does that mean?
sir yacht? He is kind of a joke but was the first I saw reporting on the B1G cancellation. He is more of a "stopped clock" kind of guy

Reactions: gogolion
Whatever, this is so stupid. If Franklin goes he goes. I think Franklin may be a better "builder" than sustainer, he might enjoy building programs more. I like Franklin, I'd like him to be here longer, but Penn State would be a pretty appealing job and I'd like to think we could get a coach who could get "similar" results. I never wanted Franklin to leave because it was pretty obvious we weren't going to get someone better, but I think we can find someone with similar success that actually wants to be at the University.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Franklin is a business man. He will listen to just about any offer. Maybe he has always wanted to live in LA.

Its weird with Franklin because he wont outright say he isnt going anywhere because there might 5% chance they blow him away or his family convinces him they want to take it.

I think it drives us crazy because Penn St is a destination job and we want the Penn St coach to treat it as such.

I seriously doubt DP's source is close to Penn St or Franklin. This source also said half the big ten wouldnt play at all last year. The initial cancelling of the big ten season was leaked everywhere.

Anyhow Franklin saying he would talk to the leadership council actually keeps the discussion and thus distraction going. I like Franklin but it is incredibly frustrating as a fan to have our coach in some way treat Penn St as a second tier program.

You do know there's a couple of threads on this already, right?
Saw a thread on the premium board ( I don't subscribe) but not here. If another one has already been initiated on this board and I missed it then my apologies for the repetition.

Urban Meyer addressed rumors of him going to usc by saying “no chance. I’m committed to building this organization “. It would have been nice for Franklin to respond like that. But he didn’t
Yep. His response really did not make sense and that is what DP was pointing out. He totally sidestepped it and just said he can't have distractions and will address it with the "Leadership Council". DP's point was some reporter should have followed up with what is the "Leadership Council" and what exactly do you mean? Just deny it like Meyer at this point. For a guy who is supposedly media savvy he has not played this well so far. Now he has a distraction on his hands. Way to go.

Yep. His response really did not make sense and that is what DP was pointing out. He totally sidestepped it and just said he can't have distractions and will address it with the "Leadership Council". DP's point was some reporter should have followed up with what is the "Leadership Council" and what exactly do you mean? Just deny it like Meyer at this point. For a guy who is supposedly media savvy he has not played this well so far. Now he has a distraction on his hands. Way to go.
Because words would make you feel better?

Urban Meyer addressed rumors of him going to usc by saying “no chance. I’m committed to building this organization “. It would have been nice for Franklin to respond like that. But he didn’t
No worries on any of this.
Franklin to USC (where he will begin his road to being fired in 2024-25)
Mike Yurcich named interim
Urban to PSU this fall after he realizes he is a college coach, fulfilling what was supposed to happen in 2012 when JVP was going to retire.

Franklin understands leverage. We are about 8-10 weeks away from announcing a capital improvement project for Beaver Stadium.

This is the new Groundhog Day. You basically can set your calendar by it.

If this ever does come true, PSU should take about 1 second to contact a certain head coach of a college program in a Southwestern Ohio city who already has coached the biggest brand in the Big 10 and also played in the conference, and obviously can recruit the hell out of Big 10 territory.

Reactions: TheGLOV and PSU73

It means Dan Patrick and/or his source are FOS.

How many times/years does the PSU football program have to deal with this bs sword of Damocles hanging over its head? At what point is enough enough? If I were the AD, I’d have a sit down with Coach Franklin and state unequivocally that I’ve had it with this yearly dance: commit to being PSUs Head Coach - publicly. No more equivocation, no more non-denial denials. And, after the season, if he loses to either O$U or UM, maybe he‘ll need that other job...now I as the AD have leverage

Reactions: pittpsu and BBrown
DP's point was some reporter should have followed up with what is the "Leadership Council"

Yep. His response really did not make sense and that is what DP was pointing out.

"Leadership Council"? Probably James screwing around with the media. Cute way of saying
"Going to discuss with the DUS Leadership Council my future ambitions and get their opinions"

Division of Undergraduate Studies Leadership Council

lc2020-21.jpg

Vision

DUS Leadership Council members will grow as leaders in their communities and their own lives by reflecting on their strengths and values, critically thinking about diverse leadership styles, and applying their knowledge and skill sets to engagement opportunities offered as a member of the council.

Last edited:
Sorry. IMO, no way in hell CJF would let anything leak the week headed into Auburn, or would his agent for that matter. Probably came from someone who thinks they are in the know or someone that wants to do damage.
Damage, Other BIG coaches used in recruiting wars.
The only way this rumor makes any sense is if USC has contacted Franklin and told him he is their first choice. Otherwise Franklin is slitting his own throat. No way he let it slip.

How many times/years does the PSU football program have to deal with this bs sword of Damocles hanging over its head? At what point is enough enough? If I were the AD, I’d have a sit down with Coach Franklin and state unequivocally that I’ve had it with this yearly dance: commit to being PSUs Head Coach - publicly. No more equivocation, no more non-denial denials. And, after the season, if he loses to either O$U or UM, maybe he‘ll need that other job...now I as the AD have leverage
This is so delusional I see dancing unicorns and fairy farts in the background.
Barbour after CJF's last extension embraced that he is wanted by other schools and said to bring the success and recognition back to PSU they would see this year over year but CJF is their coach and will be for a long time.
They are both playing 3D chess and it's something we will need to get used to.

Whatever, this is so stupid. If Franklin goes he goes. I think Franklin may be a better "builder" than sustainer, he might enjoy building programs more. I like Franklin, I'd like him to be here longer, but Penn State would be a pretty appealing job and I'd like to think we could get a coach who could get "similar" results. I never wanted Franklin to leave because it was pretty obvious we weren't going to get someone better, but I think we can find someone with similar success that actually wants to be at the University.
I agree. I love CJF and admire the success that he’s had here and at Vandy. If he wants to go to USC, then I’ll wish him luck and declare “next man up”. Hopefully he stays, but he isn’t the only football coach that could be successful at Penn State.

think it drives us crazy because Penn St is a destination job and we want the Penn St coach to treat it as such.
Unless you are Bama, there are always other programs that could be more attractive. Just because JoePa stayed here forever doesn’t mean that anyone else will. I hope CJF stays, but you are kidding yourself if you think there aren’t other attractive options out there.

Any of our players or committed HS kids on Twitter mentioning it? As close as any of us will get to seeing if these reports are having any effect.

"Leadership Council"? Probably James screwing around with the media. Cute way of saying
"Going to discuss with the DUS Leadership Council my future ambitions and get their opinions"

Division of Undergraduate Studies Leadership Council

lc2020-21.jpg

Vision

DUS Leadership Council members will grow as leaders in their communities and their own lives by reflecting on their strengths and values, critically thinking about diverse leadership styles, and applying their knowledge and skill sets to engagement opportunities offered as a member of the council.
The Leadership Council is a group of players selected by the coaches that meet with James weekly and discuss various issues, concerns, improvements, morale, etc. around the football program. It has been in place for several years. There are two groups that are important to know if he is staying or going. The team/coaches and the recruits. We and the media is not on that list.

The Leadership Council is a group of players selected by the coaches that meet with James weekly and discuss various issues, concerns, improvements, morale, etc. around the football program. It has been in place for several years. There are two groups that are important to know if he is staying or going. The team/coaches and the recruits. We and the media is not on that list.
Agreed. The only "distraction" is being created by the media. One simple fact is not being stated.....James Franklin did not fire Clay Helton. He did not have anything to do with this circus. I for one, would not expect him to make a statement, just to reassure me. As long as he handles it with his squad, staff and recruits......all the rest is fanboy noise.

Gotta love the media:
Someone with ZERO ties to anything USC-related just throws crap at the wall, to see what sticks.
I highly, highly doubt that DP has an “inside info” on this.
I think it’s the media trying to get clicks.
USC won’t even begin to interview until seasons end, b/c anyone they’re interested in is a a current active coach.
If there is any validity to DP being correct(again, I HIGHLY doubt he is), then CJF is the biggest hypocrite ever.
I just can not see CJF talking to USC during the season.

Agreed. The only "distraction" is being created by the media. One simple fact is not being stated.....James Franklin did not fire Clay Helton. He did not have anything to do with this circus. I for one, would not expect him to make a statement, just to reasuure me. As long as he handles it with his squad, staff and recruits......all the rest is fanboy noise.
So does CJF leave for USC before or after the Auburn game? USC has a bunch of conference games coming up he better have the team ready for! 🙃

Unless you are Bama, there are always other programs that could be more attractive. Just because JoePa stayed here forever doesn’t mean that anyone else will. I hope CJF stays, but you are kidding yourself if you think there aren’t other attractive options out there.
Thats fair. But why only Bama? The next Bama coach may prefer south beach or the west coast etc. So, you can always say there is something that may attract other coaches away from their current job.

It just doesnt happen. Outside of Jimbo Fisher what coach has left an "elite" program for another college job. Nobody says Ryan Day, Dabo Sweeney, Paul Chryst, Brian Kelly, Lincoln Riley, Dan Mullen, Kirby Smart etc are thinking about offers from other schools.

I think its one of two things. The Penn St job is not the equal of those jobs or for one reason or another its a James Franklin thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT