ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Patrick Reporting Mutual Interest Franklin and U$C

???

OIP.Kc4AfI6j04mmsudPZ8VPHAHaE5
That would be live from L.A. Step!

Reactions: step.eng69
Everybody is throwing everything against the wall.

Like, for instance, Cowherd threw Doug Pederson out there today, not as an actual source but someone he thinks could be a good fit for the position (irregardless of if you think he's right or not, although all Pederson would need to do to recruit in LA is show his SB ring and its a done deal). I think it makes sense that USC should go for an NFL guy, as USC is the type of place where an NFL guy can do well in college (like Carroll), and most college coaches are not cut out for everything that entails coaching in LA.

Get ready for a whole season of this. reason being that there is smoke that the LSU job will also open up soon. Many of these coaches who are looking for big jobs will likely be waiting to see what happens there (for financial reasons), and so I would be surprised if USC names a new head coach before the playoff/bowl matchups are announced.

Reactions: ftlpsu
This is the new Groundhog Day. You basically can set your calendar by it.

If this ever does come true, PSU should take about 1 second to contact a certain head coach of a college program in a Southwestern Ohio city who already has coached the biggest brand in the Big 10 and also played in the conference, and obviously can recruit the hell out of Big 10 territory.
Who?

I'd be disappointed if Franklin left, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. It would be a setback though given the recruiting class that is lined up, but losing one class would be a short term issue if it came to pass. I'm not delusional to think that everyone is going to view PSU as a career defining destination and a more attractive place than other coaching jobs. USC has a lot to offer. So does PSU. So do dozens of other programs. How each individual views the various jobs, programs and locations of each is highly subjective. State College and PSU aren't for everybody and even for those that do like the place, it's always possible their priorities change and they grow to prefer someplace else.

I will never understand why people get so worked up about these rumors. Anything out in public is straight speculation and coach-speak. Even the stuff straight from Franklin's mouth can't be trusted because he'd be dumb to say or do anything that may jeopardize future career opportunities or his current relationships and status at PSU. The only thing we can do is wait and see.

sir yacht? He is kind of a joke but was the first I saw reporting on the B1G cancellation. He is more of a "stopped clock" kind of guy
Wasn't he throwing out date after date until something finally hit? Thats kind of the way I remember it.
Was he ever correct on any of his coaching calls?

Urban Meyer addressed rumors of him going to usc by saying “no chance. I’m committed to building this organization “. It would have been nice for Franklin to respond like that. But he didn’t
and Urban Meyer is a paragon of virtue. LMAO.
When do the "health issues" start up again. :rolleyes:

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Wasn't he throwing out date after date until something finally hit? Thats kind of the way I remember it.
Was he ever correct on any of his coaching calls?
we see this time and again. My guess is that CJF is consumed with Auburn and hasn't given SC a second thought. In the meantime, his agents (who get a percentage of his income) are calling USC and asking "so what are you thinking?" It'll all play out.

Agreed. The only "distraction" is being created by the media. One simple fact is not being stated.....James Franklin did not fire Clay Helton. He did not have anything to do with this circus. I for one, would not expect him to make a statement, just to reassure me. As long as he handles it with his squad, staff and recruits......all the rest is fanboy noise.
and our own fan base. SMH. Take note of some of the board posters who are clutching their pearls...Spoiler alert they dont like Franklin and wanted him gone a long time ago.

Thats fair. But why only Bama? The next Bama coach may prefer south beach or the west coast etc. So, you can always say there is something that may attract other coaches away from their current job.

It just doesnt happen. Outside of Jimbo Fisher what coach has left an "elite" program for another college job. Nobody says Ryan Day, Dabo Sweeney, Paul Chryst, Brian Kelly, Lincoln Riley, Dan Mullen, Kirby Smart etc are thinking about offers from other schools.

I think its one of two things. The Penn St job is not the equal of those jobs or for one reason or another its a James Franklin thing.
I said Bama because they are the most successful program in CFB history, and still at the top. To your point, the next elite coach could have a wife that likes to live somewhere else or the coach wants to return to their alma mater. My point was that virtually no job is a forever job.

I'd be disappointed if Franklin left, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. It would be a setback though given the recruiting class that is lined up, but losing one class would be a short term issue if it came to pass. I'm not delusional to think that everyone is going to view PSU as a career defining destination and a more attractive place than other coaching jobs. USC has a lot to offer. So does PSU. So do dozens of other programs. How each individual views the various jobs, programs and locations of each is highly subjective. State College and PSU aren't for everybody and even for those that do like the place, it's always possible their priorities change and they grow to prefer someplace else.

I will never understand why people get so worked up about these rumors. Anything out in public is straight speculation and coach-speak. Even the stuff straight from Franklin's mouth can't be trusted because he'd be dumb to say or do anything that may jeopardize future career opportunities or his current relationships and status at PSU. The only thing we can do is wait and see.

The issue I have is of perception, not that Franklin is the last good coach out there for PSU. It would be the perception that usc is a step up from PSU, a bona fide blue blood. You don’t expect PSU to lose a coach to another college program.

Franklin is a business man. He will listen to just about any offer. Maybe he has always wanted to live in LA.

Its weird with Franklin because he wont outright say he isnt going anywhere because there might 5% chance they blow him away or his family convinces him they want to take it.

I think it drives us crazy because Penn St is a destination job and we want the Penn St coach to treat it as such.

I seriously doubt DP's source is close to Penn St or Franklin. This source also said half the big ten wouldnt play at all last year. The initial cancelling of the big ten season was leaked everywhere.

Anyhow Franklin saying he would talk to the leadership council actually keeps the discussion and thus distraction going. I like Franklin but it is incredibly frustrating as a fan to have our coach in some way treat Penn St as a second tier program.
Or maybe it’s all manure. How exactly is Franklin treating PSU as a second tier program?

Urban Meyer addressed rumors of him going to usc by saying “no chance. I’m committed to building this organization “. It would have been nice for Franklin to respond like that. But he didn’t

DAVIE, Fla. -- Nick Saban says he doesn't browse the Internet, never sends e-mails or surfs from site to site.

He might have to start soon, if only to follow the persistent rumors about him and his future.

A story posted on NFL.com this week said Alabama "keeps on making runs at Saban" in an effort to persuade the Miami Dolphins coach to return to college and take over in Tuscaloosa for fired Mike Shula. The same story even said an unnamed NFL head coach said Saban is getting closer to joining the Crimson Tide.

So on Thursday, Saban -- who has tried to denounce the story about him potentially going to Alabama numerous times in recent weeks -- again, and adamantly, denied that he's headed back to the college ranks.

"I guess I have to say it," Saban said. "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

When the stories linking Alabama and Saban began circulating last month, almost immediately after Shula got fired following a 6-6 season, the former coach at Louisiana State said he was flattered but not interested.

He's bristled at nearly every suggestion about him leaving the Dolphins since.

"I don't know how many times I've got to respond to rumor and innuendo," Saban said. "I have no control over that. I've stated what my intentions are and they really haven't changed, so I don't know what the issue is. And I don't know why people keep asking about it. What they talk about over there is their business. But what's happening here is my business and our business, and that's what we're focused on."

Reactions: CbusLion10
Everybody is throwing everything against the wall.

Like, for instance, Cowherd threw Doug Pederson out there today, not as an actual source but someone he thinks could be a good fit for the position (irregardless of if you think he's right or not, although all Pederson would need to do to recruit in LA is show his SB ring and its a done deal). I think it makes sense that USC should go for an NFL guy, as USC is the type of place where an NFL guy can do well in college (like Carroll), and most college coaches are not cut out for everything that entails coaching in LA.

Get ready for a whole season of this. reason being that there is smoke that the LSU job will also open up soon. Many of these coaches who are looking for big jobs will likely be waiting to see what happens there (for financial reasons), and so I would be surprised if USC names a new head coach before the playoff/bowl matchups are announced.
24 hour sports talk......this is pennies from heaven for these guys......

The difference is that Franklin can leverage this offer into a raise (probably not what he is looking for), or more money for assistants, or more money for facilities. Urban has coaches one game and lost badly. He has no leverage at all.

In other words, Urban saying he isn't interested means he isn't interested.
Franklin saying nothing, means nothing.

Furthermore, read the comments from the players. They aren't concerned.

Reactions: doctornick
I'd like to welcome former FL, tOSU and Jacksonville head coach to the state of PA as he takes over Penn State Football.

aslan-roar.gif

Reactions: PSU73
The issue I have is of perception, not that Franklin is the last good coach out there for PSU. It would be the perception that usc is a step up from PSU, a bona fide blue blood. You don’t expect PSU to lose a coach to another college program.
Well I can tell you that a lot of CFB fans on social media do not view PSU as a definitive blue blood, largely due to fewer Heismans, national championships, conference championships (out of PSU's control as an independent) and a perception of competing against inferior east coast talent for a long time. People here will disagree, but many have PSU as one of the first teams that don't make the cut. USC is almost always on the blue blood list in the same social media circles.

Franklin is a business man. He will listen to just about any offer. Maybe he has always wanted to live in LA.

Its weird with Franklin because he wont outright say he isnt going anywhere because there might 5% chance they blow him away or his family convinces him they want to take it.

I think it drives us crazy because Penn St is a destination job and we want the Penn St coach to treat it as such.

I seriously doubt DP's source is close to Penn St or Franklin. This source also said half the big ten wouldnt play at all last year. The initial cancelling of the big ten season was leaked everywhere.

Anyhow Franklin saying he would talk to the leadership council actually keeps the discussion and thus distraction going. I like Franklin but it is incredibly frustrating as a fan to have our coach in some way treat Penn St as a second tier program.
right, and of course, would likely be a source within.. wait for it... the big ten!!! 11/12's of which have a vested interest in creating uncertainty around the psu program.

and our own fan base. SMH. Take note of some of the board posters who are clutching their pearls...Spoiler alert they dont like Franklin and wanted him gone a long time ago.
Our very own beloved BWI CAC....the "WE DESERVE BETTER" crowd.

That's way too much rational thinking for this board. I'm going to have to ask you to leave.

No one knows if the USC thing is serious this time, but Franklin has been down this path before:

Penn State

Report: James Franklin has talked to Florida State about Seminoles’ head coaching job​

The Seminoles are looking for a replacement for Willie Taggert, who was fired on Nov. 3. Minnesota's P.J. Fleck is also considered to be a candidate.
Penn State head coach James Franklin has been linked with the Florida State job, and the interest appears mutual.

Penn State head coach James Franklin has been linked with the Florida State job, and the interest appears mutual.JOSE F. MORENO / MCT
Penn State’s James Franklin is being considered as one of the main targets of Florida State in its search for a head coach, according to a report Wednesday in the Orlando Sentinel.
Florida State has communicated with Franklin, and there is “mutual interest between the two parties,” according to the report.
The Seminoles are looking for a replacement for former head coach Willie Taggert, who was fired on Nov. 3.
Other reported candidates for the FSU job are coaches Matt Campbell of Iowa State, P.J. Fleck of Minnesota, and Mike Norvell of Memphis.
ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin also has attracted interest from Southern California, which reportedly is deciding whether to keep head coach Clay Helton.
Franklin’s most recent comment on being mentioned for other jobs was at his weekly news conference on Nov. 5, after another story about interest from USC.
“Whenever anything comes up, we try to address it, make sure everybody kind of understands where we’re at with everything, with coaches, with players, with recruits, with all of it," he said. “But we love it here. Really enjoy coaching these guys and don’t really see that changing any time soon.”
Franklin is making $5.65 million this year under a contract extension he signed in 2017 that runs through 2022. He has a $1 million buyout.
Penn State said it did not have a comment on the FSU report.
Published
Nov. 27, 2019

How many times/years does the PSU football program have to deal with this bs sword of Damocles hanging over its head? At what point is enough enough? If I were the AD, I’d have a sit down with Coach Franklin and state unequivocally that I’ve had it with this yearly dance: commit to being PSUs Head Coach - publicly. No more equivocation, no more non-denial denials. And, after the season, if he loses to either O$U or UM, maybe he‘ll need that other job...now I as the AD have leverage
There's a reason you'll never be the AD or hold any other position of power.

Reactions: marshall23
right, and of course, would likely be a source within.. wait for it... the big ten!!! 11/12's of which have a vested interest in creating uncertainty around the psu program.
Never say never. Why close the door on any position that might be advantageous to your career? I wonder if anyone who frequents here has ever had the "rug pulled out from under them?" No one here has ever been betrayed by a supervisor or someone in a position of authority? Even the most comfortable working circumstances can change literally overnight. What if he truly has no interest now and down the road PSU hires a president that he can't deal with? A group of trustees that break his balls?
His agent will handle any inquiries and likely they will be dismissed quietly and respectfully.....in a manner that would not deter other similar institutions from reaching out to him at a future date and time.
PSU once had a man who dedicated and spent his whole career here. What was his reward? Those days are gone.
Franklin is wise to address it directly with squad, staff and recruits. No one else needs to be concerned.

Reactions: odshowtime and vops
No one knows if the USC thing is serious this time, but Franklin has been down this path before:

Penn State

Report: James Franklin has talked to Florida State about Seminoles’ head coaching job​

The Seminoles are looking for a replacement for Willie Taggert, who was fired on Nov. 3. Minnesota's P.J. Fleck is also considered to be a candidate.
Penn State head coach James Franklin has been linked with the Florida State job, and the interest appears mutual.

Penn State head coach James Franklin has been linked with the Florida State job, and the interest appears mutual.JOSE F. MORENO / MCT
Penn State’s James Franklin is being considered as one of the main targets of Florida State in its search for a head coach, according to a report Wednesday in the Orlando Sentinel.
Florida State has communicated with Franklin, and there is “mutual interest between the two parties,” according to the report.
The Seminoles are looking for a replacement for former head coach Willie Taggert, who was fired on Nov. 3.
Other reported candidates for the FSU job are coaches Matt Campbell of Iowa State, P.J. Fleck of Minnesota, and Mike Norvell of Memphis.
ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin also has attracted interest from Southern California, which reportedly is deciding whether to keep head coach Clay Helton.
Franklin’s most recent comment on being mentioned for other jobs was at his weekly news conference on Nov. 5, after another story about interest from USC.
“Whenever anything comes up, we try to address it, make sure everybody kind of understands where we’re at with everything, with coaches, with players, with recruits, with all of it," he said. “But we love it here. Really enjoy coaching these guys and don’t really see that changing any time soon.”
Franklin is making $5.65 million this year under a contract extension he signed in 2017 that runs through 2022. He has a $1 million buyout.
Penn State said it did not have a comment on the FSU report.
Published
Nov. 27, 2019

fake news......never happened

Another thought. Is it fair to expect CJF to blindly reject or not give consideration or discussion by his representatives to potential suiters? Yet even after 11 win seasons NY 6 bowl appearances and upset victories vs ranked teams on the road...Franklin is subjected to inane criticism.....4 day threads dissecting time outs......but he should never entertain interest from other institutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Option Bob

If we lose most of this class due to Franklin leaving if would absolutely devastate the near future of the program.

Franklin is not irreplaceable as a head coach but we cannot lose this class. It's probably the best class since the mid 90s and should enable us to get closer the CFP.

You can play the "leverage" card just so often.
In the real world, yes you can only play the leverage card so often before your employer has had enough. In the billion dollar high stakes world of college athletics, you can play that card over and over again as long as people want you.

I see this as a good thing for PSU if CJF really doesn’t want to go. This would afford him the ability to get raises for his staff to keep continuity ala Clemson, make improvements to the facilities, improve possible recruiting travel and staff. This isn’t always about him just getting a raise but instead possibly elevating a program and institution he has called “his dream job”. Maybe, just maybe, he knows what he’s doing.

Or he leaves for USC and I look like a clown. Won’t be the first time!!

If we lose most of this class due to Franklin leaving if would absolutely devastate the near future of the program.

Franklin is not irreplaceable as a head coach but we cannot lose this class. It's probably the best class since the mid 90s and should enable us to get closer the CFP.

Until we hire Urban Meyer… ;)

Whatever, this is so stupid. If Franklin goes he goes. I think Franklin may be a better "builder" than sustainer, he might enjoy building programs more. I like Franklin, I'd like him to be here longer, but Penn State would be a pretty appealing job and I'd like to think we could get a coach who could get "similar" results. I never wanted Franklin to leave because it was pretty obvious we weren't going to get someone better, but I think we can find someone with similar success that actually wants to be at the University.
Please give us one person with similar success because I can’t think of any that we could get.

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT