ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo Swinney.....

rightly or wrongly, I feel like religion is used to externalize the pressure of playing in front of millions of people at age 19 or so. I always find it interesting how people balance "its God's will" versus getting up at 5:30am to lift in February. It is God's will or it isn't. If it is, why get up at 5:30 am everyday to lift? Regardless, it is a way to offset that pressure and play in the moment. I think his religiosity in recruiting is more the religion of getting an NFL paycheck, which I am all for.
I happen to like both Clemson and Swinney quite a bit. That said, one of my pet peeves in all of sports is the "Thank God for this win" comments we frequently hear post game. I guess God didn't want the opposing team to win. What nonsense -- to think that any God could or would care about who wins a college football game!

Disagree. OSU can hang with either of them in a general sense. That said, probably not this year. Too many critical juniors were lost to the NFL. That shows mostly on D.
I've watched OSU a couple of times and yes, their pass D is not up to par so far, but a lot of that can also be traced to the somewhat scaled down pass rush - at least compared to last the few years. OSU has had huge leads and seems to lose its enthusiasm and lets the other teams back in games. Not saying it can't be fixed but they're not as impressive as past OSU teams.

My son goes to clemson and I live 15 minutes from there. They have best defensive coordinator in college football and they ooze with talent. Their qb room is ridiculous. Oh and they may have the best running back in the nation also. Their facilities are top notch go online and see what they have. I am not a clemson fan but you cant knock what they are doing.
Wait a minute - I have heard until I puked several times that NOBODY is a better defensive coordinator that Don Brown and his VAUNTED DEFENSE.

Reactions: bison13
yeah...I don't get it. Dabo is a heck of a coach that built a program on his own. He didn't inherit it like Day at tOSU or some of the SEC giants. And, in this case, he is speaking the truth. FSU didn't want to play, obviously. A "no game" was better than getting beat 60-0.
Probably not far off on the score, so I can see FSU wanting to opt out. Not quite the same thing, but this reminds me of a chance we had to play Alabama either during or following Mike Shula and we let them out of the game. Unfortunately, when we resumed the series they were coached by Nick Saban. Hopefully FSU will close the gap a bit and make that series competitive again. After all, didn't the term "Clemsoning" come from their inability to beat FSU when it counted?

I've watched OSU a couple of times and yes, their pass D is not up to par so far, but a lot of that can also be traced to the somewhat scaled down pass rush - at least compared to last the few years. OSU has had huge leads and seems to lose its enthusiasm and lets the other teams back in games. Not saying it can't be fixed but they're not as impressive as past OSU teams.
Agreed. For one thing, OSU has no Chase Young/Bosa type of player currently.

My strong dislike for Dabo comes from his aw-shucks, just fell off the turnip truck schtick he spews when I've seen him on TV. The "I don't know much about much" and "we're just little ole Clemson" routine is tiring when you know their facilities are among the best, if not THE best, in college football and their total coaching budget is probably the highest in all of college football. Sports-wise they are all in, top to bottom, to be a football factory (see the small number of varsity sports above for further evidence of their athletic mission), plain and simple and they are succeeding mightily at their goal.
Side note - have visited the campus and, while it is nice, I would in no way consider it the "nicest not on an ocean." I went to Cornell so certainly am not an impartial observer but I would put my alma mater's campus against any in the country (at least from April to September). ;-)

Reactions: psu00
I understand their game day experience sucks.

It’s not ideal for tailgating but, frankly, we’re spoiled at PSU for having so much space near the stadium.

Unless you’re a big donor at Clemson or find a small spot on campus to park, a lot of their parking is past town in open fields on the other side of Lake Hartwell (IIRC). Those people then take shuttle busses back to campus for the game (and then after the game back to where they are parked).

I thought Clemson had an nice campus but kind of ‘middle of the road’. I wouldn’t rank it highly in the most beautiful category. JMO.

It’s not ideal for tailgating but, frankly, we’re spoiled at PSU for having so much space near the stadium.

Unless you’re a big donor at Clemson or find a small spot on campus to park, a lot of their parking is past town in open fields on the other side of Lake Hartwell (IIRC). Those people then take shuttle busses back to campus for the game (and then after the game back to where they are parked).

I thought Clemson had an nice campus but kind of ‘middle of the road’. I wouldn’t rank it highly in the most beautiful category. JMO.
Thanks but the comment was directed at Midnighter saying he likes Princeton better.

Thanks but the comment was directed at Midnighter saying he likes Princeton better.

Sorry about that. Was reading through the thread quickly with the talk about the Clemson campus and conflated the two posts.

Reactions: Obliviax
called out FSU for cancelling their game after a Clemson player tested positive on Saturday. FSU made the right call. Clearly Dabo and Clemson are not taking the virus seriously and would put their players and opponents' players at risk all for the sake of playing a game. .

He's an originalist. Doesn't believe in science or evolution yet somehow comes across as neanderthal. Hard to figure. Lol

My strong dislike for Dabo comes from his aw-shucks, just fell off the turnip truck schtick he spews when I've seen him on TV. The "I don't know much about much" and "we're just little ole Clemson" routine is tiring when you know their facilities are among the best, if not THE best, in college football and their total coaching budget is probably the highest in all of college football. Sports-wise they are all in, top to bottom, to be a football factory (see the small number of varsity sports above for further evidence of their athletic mission), plain and simple and they are succeeding mightily at their goal.
Side note - have visited the campus and, while it is nice, I would in no way consider it the "nicest not on an ocean." I went to Cornell so certainly am not an impartial observer but I would put my alma mater's campus against any in the country (at least from April to September). ;-)

Probably not far off on the score, so I can see FSU wanting to opt out. Not quite the same thing, but this reminds me of a chance we had to play Alabama either during or following Mike Shula and we let them out of the game. Unfortunately, when we resumed the series they were coached by Nick Saban. Hopefully FSU will close the gap a bit and make that series competitive again. After all, didn't the term "Clemsoning" come from their inability to beat FSU when it counted?
Yeah now he's strutting like the cock 🐓 he is.

I’m not sure what to think, if it’s a turnip truck schtick or not, but he sure has it down pretty good.

Reactions: Thomas1945
Like him or not, you cannot argue with his success in all aspects of the game. Just like with Saban, we are fortunate to be watching a legendary coach in action, one that will be in the discussion of great football coaches.

I’m not sure what to think, if it’s a turnip truck schtick or not, but he sure has it down pretty good.
You have to give Dabo credit, he certainly knows his audience and what they want to hear. And that’s half the PR battle right there. Give the rubes what they want, and most derogatory things are ignored.
Bear Bryant was the same way, he sat behind a desk on his TV show munching on corn chips and drinking Dr. Pepper. The fans loved it, and his ratings were higher in Alabama than any NFL game being broadcast at the same time.

Dabo is a devout Christian and is very high profile about it. He collects a fair share of criticism because of that.

BTW, did anyone watch Queens Gambit? Generally excellent, however the only characters that came off as totally negative were the Christian church ladies, the Christian orphanage folks and the US State Department. No surprise given Hollywood.

My two cents? At Penn State I can no longer attend games because the lots are hilly and distant and the stadium is a disaster. I simply can’t walk the distances and elevation required.

Dabo is a devout Christian and is very high profile about it. He collects a fair share of criticism because of that.

BTW, did anyone watch Queens Gambit? Generally excellent, however the only characters that came off as totally negative were the Christian church ladies, the Christian orphanage folks and the US State Department. No surprise given Hollywood.

Negative? I think they came across as intended - only willing to sponsor Harmon if she promoted their message.

Additionally, I'd add that Harmon's biological mother, her adopted father, the headmistress a the orphanage, and Harmon herself were pretty 'negative'.

My two cents? At Penn State I can no longer attend games because the lots are hilly and distant and the stadium is a disaster. I simply can’t walk the distances and elevation required.

Yeah, I have family members in the same boat. If you think the Beav is bad you should try to climb to the upper decks at Clemson. Their decks are pretty high and have a steep angle.

As for walking distance, it’s the same there as well. I’m sure PSU could find a way to incorporate some type of shuttle service to the outer lots if they really wanted to.

The Beav definitely needs more escalators/elevators for those with mobility issues.

My son goes to clemson and I live 15 minutes from there. They have best defensive coordinator in college football and they ooze with talent. Their qb room is ridiculous. Oh and they may have the best running back in the nation also. Their facilities are top notch go online and see what they have. I am not a clemson fan but you cant knock what they are doing.
They offered Rashan Gary $350,000 through a booster the weekend before signing day but yes, you can't knock what they are doing

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
If they offered $350,000 how much more did you guys have to pony up to get him to attend Michigan?
I thought this thread was about Dabo and his credibility but to answer your question , the same amount Franklin offered Parsons (I would think $0 from Franklin but you tell me).

I thought this thread was about Dabo and his credibility but to answer your question , the same amount Franklin offered Parsons (I would think $0 from Franklin but you tell me).
Hey dumbo it was a joke, why don’t you toughen up that paper thin skin?

Obviously Franklin wouldn't offer any recruit money. If we were going to cheat the money would come from someone else..

I like the man.
Admittedly don‘t know all the facts around the cancelled game, but from what I know, I think he has a case.

Like him or not, you cannot argue with his success in all aspects of the game. Just like with Saban, we are fortunate to be watching a legendary coach in action, one that will be in the discussion of great football coaches.
Yeah, we're not worthy. 😏

I happen to like both Clemson and Swinney quite a bit. That said, one of my pet peeves in all of sports is the "Thank God for this win" comments we frequently hear post game. I guess God didn't want the opposing team to win. What nonsense -- to think that any God could or would care about who wins a college football game!
God must be really mad at CJF right now.

called out FSU for cancelling their game after a Clemson player tested positive on Saturday. FSU made the right call. Clearly Dabo and Clemson are not taking the virus seriously and would put their players and opponents' players at risk all for the sake of playing a game. .

From the CDC!

"COVID-19 SURVIVAL RATES (per CDC):
Ages 0-19: 99.997%
Ages 20-49: 99.98%
Ages 50-69: 99.5%
Ages 70+: 94.6%"

I like the man.
Admittedly don‘t know all the facts around the cancelled game, but from what I know, I think he has a case.
I'm guessing some of the reason he's upset is because Trevor Lawrence doesn't have many chances left to put on a showcase for the Heisman voters.

From the CDC!

"COVID-19 SURVIVAL RATES (per CDC):
Ages 0-19: 99.997%
Ages 20-49: 99.98%
Ages 50-69: 99.5%
Ages 70+: 94.6%"
Valid point. However, try quoting the survival rates to those who've died. Oh wait, you can't, they're dead.

Also, the survival rate for college athletes NOT playing a football game is 100%. To my knowledge no player has ever died from NOT playing a football game. Perhaps someone has a case to disprove my 100% claim but in the big picture we are talking about a F'ing college football game here. Perspective people, perspective.

Valid point. However, try quoting the survival rates to those who've died. Oh wait, you can't, they're dead.

Also, the survival rate for college athletes NOT playing a football game is 100%. To my knowledge no player has ever died from NOT playing a football game. Perhaps someone has a case to disprove my 100% claim but in the big picture we are talking about a F'ing college football game here. Perspective people, perspective.
Then why are we allowing any activity since the survival rate for being locked in a room is 100%. You do realize f’ing college football employs thousands of people directly and indirectly.

Reactions: RU31trap

Didn’t a Cal U player die after not playing months ago? ;)

Dabo and Franklin are actually a lot alike however Clemson has managed overall to have better assistant coaches and have less overall staff turnover. I think some of his key staff have been in place 8+ years.

I like the man.

His claim that FSU ducked Clemson was bush league. To make matters worse, he then doubled down on it. Like I said before, Dabo is a good coach, but this is why I can’t stand him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT