ADVERTISEMENT

Bullied again

MacNit07

Aug 5, 2017
First, kudos to the Penn State players who showed up to play: Luketa, Washington, Brown. And hats off to Arkansas for sticking to their game plan and taking it to us.

Yet again, this team was pushed around. Now there were a lot of players seeing their first meaningful minutes - so have to allow for that. But seriously folks, Penn State has a lot more material than Arkansas - IF PLAYERS PLAY and IF we can develop an Offensive line.

This program is going in the wrong direction and fast. A huge opportunity to move in another direction was missed. Instead the dynamic duo of Onion Dip and Ms. Incompetency doubled down to on this mess.

We need tough football players (and coaches) who want to play football instead of “opting out.”

7-6 with our level of talent is completely unacceptable.

And worse than the record, it’s how we are losing - getting pushed around by the likes of Illinois and Arkansas.

A disgrace to a once proud program!

It’s time…

While I agree with the spirit of your post, and I would name Luketa the PSU player of the year for all he has done in playing multiple positions in an effort to help the team win as well as his will to help his team by playing and playing with emotion today, I don't at all resent the fact that players opted out of this game.

The OL got pushed around as they did all year, but the showing of the DL was what disappointed me. Not only did the DL play like they had not been in a top S&C program for multiple years, which most of those that played had done, they were out of position on way too many plays, getting sucked to one side while the player with the ball ran up the field through 5-10 yard wide "holes".

Other than Jacobs the LB's also didn't seem to make many plays. Katshir was getting seamrolled whenever I saw his number (45), and I would have loved to see what King could have done in the middle. I'll still be wondering that 3 years from now when he leaves without using the redshirt year that the staff was so intent on maintaining.

Last edited:
First, kudos to the Penn State players who showed up to play: Luketa, Washington, Brown. And hats off to Arkansas for sticking to their game plan and taking it to us.

Yet again, this team was pushed around. Now there were a lot of players seeing their first meaningful minutes - so have to allow for that. But seriously folks, Penn State has a lot more material than Arkansas - IF PLAYERS PLAY and IF we can develop an Offensive line.

This program is going in the wrong direction and fast. A huge opportunity to move in another direction was missed. Instead the dynamic duo of Onion Dip and Ms. Incompetency doubled down to on this mess.

We need tough football players (and coaches) who want to play football instead of “opting out.”

7-6 with our level of talent is completely unacceptable.

And worse than the record, it’s how we are losing - getting pushed around by the likes of Illinois and Arkansas.

A disgrace to a once proud program!

It’s time…
This game was nothing more than a preseason talent evaluation for 2022. If you want to believe it had a greater meaning, that’s your problem.

While I agree with the spirit of your post, and I would name Luketa the PSU player of the year for all he has done in playing multiple positions in an effort to help the team win as well as his will to help his team by playing and playing with emotioin today, I don't at all resent the fact that players opted out of this game.

The OL got pushed around as they did all year, but the showing of the DL was what disappointed me. Not only did the DL play like they had not been in a top S&C program for multiple years, which most of those that played had done, they were out of position on way too many plays, getting sucked to one side while player with the ball ran up the field through 5-10 yard wide "holes".

Other than Jacobs the LB's also didn't seem to make many plays. Katshir was getting seamrolled whenever I saw his number (45), and I would have loved to see what King could have done in the middle. I'll still be wondering that 4 years from now when he leaves without using the redshirt year that the staff was so intent on maintaining.
45 was a revolving door.

Reactions: TheGLOV and N&B4PSU
While I agree with the spirit of your post, and I would name Luketa the PSU player of the year for all he has done in playing multiple positions in an effort to help the team win as well as his will to help his team by playing and playing with emotioin today, I don't at all resent the fact that players opted out of this game.

The OL got pushed around as they did all year, but the showing of the DL was what disappointed me. Not only did the DL play like they had not been in a top S&C program for multiple years, which most of those that played had done, they were out of position on way too many plays, getting sucked to one side while player with the ball ran up the field through 5-10 yard wide "holes".

Other than Jacobs the LB's also didn't seem to make many plays. Katshir was getting seamrolled whenever I saw his number (45), and I would have loved to see what King could have done in the middle. I'll still be wondering that 4 years from now when he leaves without using the redshirt year that the staff was so intent on maintaining.
Agree with your redshirt comments. The coaching staff receives a lot of unjustified criticism, but not on the redshirt issue. The overwhelming majority of good players aren’t hanging around for their fifth year.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Agree with your redshirt comments. The coaching staff receives a lot of unjustified criticism, but not on the redshirt issue. The overwhelming majority of good players aren’t hanging around for their fifth year.
Yep, and the top teams recognize and play their good players. So if this staff has only identified 2 players from the 2021 recruiting class that are worthy of playing (King at CB and Reed at S), then that either doesn't say much about their recruiting ability (i.e. the staff's) or their program strategy. As the teams that are perennially in the top 10 seem to play more true freshmen that Franklin has done from his better recruiting classes, classes that compare with those of the top teams.

For example, if Tengwall can move anyone on a defensive line forward, he could have helped the interior of the 2021 PSU OL from the first game this season. And he sure looks like he has that ability.

Last edited:
Yep, and the top teams recognize and play their good players. So if this staff has only identified 2 players from the 2021 recruiting class that are worthy of playing (King at CB and Reed at S), then that either doesn't say much about their recruiting ability (i.e. the staff's) or their program strategy. As the teams that are perennially in the top 10 seem to play more true freshmen that Franklin has done from his better recruiting classes, classes that compare with those of the top teams.

For example, if Tengwall can move anyone on a defensive line forward, he could have helped the interior of the 2021 PSU OL from the first game this season. And he sure looks like he has that ability.
I read the post game press conference transcript. King and Buddin didn’t want to burn their redshirts, so the coaches don’t deserve blame for those two LBs.

I read the post game press conference transcript. King and Buddin didn’t want to burn their redshirts, so the coaches don’t deserve blame for those two LBs.
With all the opt outs, the NCAA should allow freshman that are redshirting to play in a bowl game. They are already allowing 3 games so what's another?

Arkansas indeed does have a bullying oline against 92% of CFB- bigger hogbody bullies than Denzel Washington 1990s YMCA packed into the lane groper 1981 pre 3 point shot Got Game trying to compensate against middle school Ray Allen. Very frudspudstrating to play against.

At this point, I think it’s going to become the norm for coaches to only allow guys they are intending to redshirt to play in 3 regular season games. Save that fourth game for the bowl games anticipating opt outs. One could fairly argue that the coaches could have planned for that this season as well.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
IMO Arkansas did adjust their game plan at half time.

I thought the defense was playing well in the first half, certainly only allowing 7 points seemed good to me, and it didn’t seem like they were being pushed around.

In the second half, Arkansas kept going to the inside fake handoff which our guys bit on nearly every time it was run. I didn’t feel like our guys were out of position at the snap but they kept pursuing the fake and the LBs were not ready to clean up.

Tackling was again a problem all day but ultimately wasn’t what cost the game, imo.

The loss was a total team effort, with big problems on offense yet again and special teams not being very special.

IMO Arkansas did adjust their game plan at half time.

I thought the defense was playing well in the first half, certainly only allowing 7 points seemed good to me, and it didn’t seem like they were being pushed around.

In the second half, Arkansas kept going to the inside fake handoff which our guys bit on nearly every time it was run. I didn’t feel like our guys were out of position at the snap but they kept pursuing the fake and the LBs were not ready to clean up.

Tackling was again a problem all day but ultimately wasn’t what cost the game, imo.

The loss was a total team effort, with big problems on offense yet again and special teams not being very special.
We adjusted our game plan too. We finally had success with Lee and Cain’s running game and decided to ignore them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT