ADVERTISEMENT

Cross country?

rmg78

Feb 22, 2017
New to the board but have a question if anyone knows. Tessa Barrett has not run yet this fall season, anyone know why?

dag, I lost my great source on PSU women's X-Country, so I don't know what the situation is with Tessa.

To switch gears a bit, earlier today the PSU women won the Mid-Atlantic Region NCAA X-Country race, so the team automatically qualifies for the NCAA Championships. For those that follow X-Country, PSU's results were really impressive. Their 5 scoring runners placed 2nd, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 10th in the race. They defeated Villanova, whose scoring runners placed 1st, 13th, 14th, 15th, and 17th in the race. PSU's score was 31, Villanova's was 60, and the third place Georgetown's score was 109. To place all of your scoring runners in the top 10 of a Regional race is almost unheard of. I checked all the other NCAA regions (there are 9) and the only team that approached PSU's performance was Arkansas, who won the South Central Region with a score of 35.

I don't have any insights as to why she didn't run this year. Neither she nor Elizabeth Chikotas, another top DR, competed. I understand that Chikotas took a red-shirt year.
I believe Tessa red-shirted her freshman year and has junior eligibility. However, she was recognized during senior day, so I assume she will not run be running XC next year. Tessa has a rare medical condition described in the linked article, so that may be a factor. I hope she is well; running is secondary.
The womens' XC team has performed amazingly well when you consider that they were missing 2 of their top 3 runners. Today they comfortably won the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional meet. Danae Rivers, an 800/mile standout, Willingmyre, Munks, and Lindsley have really stepped up. NCAA's will be a much tougher field. A top 15 finish would be good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT