ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Aaron Judge

Lattner

Sep 4, 2011
Curious.

The Pirates passed on Judge twice in the 1st round of the 2013 draft.

Stupid question, but has anyone from Pirate brass ever apologized, explained, or even been questioned about this outright idiocy?

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Well, you can play that game for every good player who was passed on in the draft.

What I will say is that the Cleveland Guardians are about to lock up the American League central with a lower payroll and a younger team (on average). They just wiped out two very important series with the Twins and White Sox and now lead the division by six games plus have the tie-breaker.

Reactions: bison13
A remarkable story about Judge's hitting coach, Richard Schenck and how he became involved with Judge. 25 years ago, I used to play pool in Fairview Heights IL at one of Schenck's 3 billiards establishments named Teachers. That one closed a decade or so ago and I figured I would never hear about him again as his main establishment in St. Peters MO is too far away from my house to play at regularly. Anyway, the story linked below is a fairly enjoyable read about an unlikely story:

'It's unbelievable': St. Peters man now personal hitting coach to Aaron Judge

Richard Schenck never saw a professional pitch in his life but is now a "game-changer" to pros in-need of a fine tune with their swing.

Reactions: Obliviax
Curious.

The Pirates passed on Judge twice in the 1st round of the 2013 draft.

Stupid question, but has anyone from Pirate brass ever apologized, explained, or even been questioned about this outright idiocy?
Don’t know what he signed for, but sometimes it’s about signability from a financial perspective.

Reactions: hlstone
To be fair, a lot of teams passed on Aaron Judge--literally everyone that had a pick did. Pirates don't do many things right but Austin Meadows wasn't a bad pick but trading him away for nothing was. Reese McGuire on the other hand...we literally gave him away also for nothing lol

Horrible oversight, but that might not even make the Pirates Top Ten of idiocy. And if they had drafted him, they probably would've ****ed him up.

Nobody could have predicted Judge being anywhere near as good as he is. There is a long history of good to great pitchers ranging from 6'7" to 6'10" in height. But very few good hitters have stood 6'7" or taller. For some reason, it's very hard for guys that tall to hit. Even in 2016, when Judge was close to the big leagues, he wasn't thought of as a great prospect. He was already 24 and hadn't even been dominant in the minors. And then something clicked...

I heard radio talk show guys this morning talking about how judge and pujols "did it without PEDs". How can anyone guarantee that. Guys are getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars. The incentive to cheat and the money available to stay ahead of testing is VERY real. I'm especially dubious of pujols. STL let him go because they saw him declining and weren't willing to pay peak year money for an aging slugger.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT