ADVERTISEMENT

Cris Carter Advised NFL Rookies To Get A ‘Fall Guy’ To Cover Up Their Crimes

Saw the article in SI but they wouldn't name Cris. With 36 nfl players arrested last year, you have to wonder how many other guys had "fall guys" in place.

Really interested to see how ESPN handles this. Carter is all over the place this time of year, from Mike & Mike to their NFL coverage. They seem to really like to put him out there front and center. The statement from the ESPN PR machine will be/is very predictable (probably most of us could write a decent one), but will there be a suspension? Will he be fired? What will they allow Carter to say? Guess the ESPN Marketing/PR group had their weekend cut very short. Gonna be an interesting morning tomorrow when the talk shows get cranking. .

Mike in these Twitter comments makes the best point - it looks like CC left the quote mark in from his PR Guy's scripted apology.

Reactions: bison13
OSU alum. 'Nuff said.
For the sake of THE Ohio State University I hope he did not graduate and is not an alum. Because if a dope like Carter can get a degree what does that say about the University? This is the same guy who basically blamed Geno Smith for getting punched in the face. If anyone else, outside of ESPN, blamed the victim of a violent act, there would so much public outrage the person would be fired. At ESPN it is permitted and not even questioned.

Reactions: NC2017
I read his book "going deep." he admits to major drug and alcohol usage during his NFL career and credits buddy ryan for turning his life around. He also signed with an agent his Jr. year at tOSU and was suspended for his senior year, which was the year that Earl Bruce got fired (the season after Carter's suspension was served).

You do know that is quote is over a year old!!! and when he says it on tape (which I heard), you almost miss it. The biggest thing he says is to have a Designed Driver if you are going out, pretty good advice seems to me.

You do know that is quote is over a year old!!! and when he says it on tape (which I heard), you almost miss it. The biggest thing he says is to have a Designed Driver if you are going out, pretty good advice seems to me.
sluggo, are you saying he did not tell them to have a fall guy in the event they get in trouble? Or are you saying he said that but it is not as bad as it sounds?

Did not seem to work out for Hernandez....

Rule 1 : Get fall guy
Rule 2 : Do not kill fall guy

sluggo, are you saying he did not tell them to have a fall guy in the event they get in trouble? Or are you saying he said that but it is not as bad as it sounds?
listen to the tape and make your own conclusions. Me? I barely heard it. It may have been a poor choice of words, but for the player, probably good advise.

Stephen Smith and Bayless are saying it was wrong but after all the years Carter has done right it should be forgiven...all the years Carter has done right? How about Joe doing right for 61 years? Where's the benefit of the doubt there? Every time I even attempt to watch this crap channel, I turn it off quickly.

Reactions: jim cummings
listen to the tape and make your own conclusions. Me? I barely heard it. It may have been a poor choice of words, but for the player, probably good advise.
Better advice: You are a public figure making a lot of money with a target on your back. Use your head and keep yourself out of trouble.

Stephen Smith and Bayless are saying it was wrong but after all the years Carter has done right it should be forgiven...all the years Carter has done right? How about Joe doing right for 61 years? Where's the benefit of the doubt there? Every time I even attempt to watch this crap channel, I turn it off quickly.

Hypocrites. The biggest difference being that Joe actually NEVER did anything wrong. But ESPN made sure to convict him in the court of public opinion when they saw a chance for a ratings bonanza.

Listen to the tape, he says 'okay you and your guys are going out, now it is your job (the player) to assign everyone a job. You, (the player says to someone) you are the driver, because I aint driving, you are the fall guy, if something bad happens, its your job to go to jail, not my job to go to jail, everybody understand their job?' It wasn't like they were planning a crime, but rather they were going out to a club or something.

Listen to the tape, he says 'okay you and your guys are going out, now it is your job (the player) to assign everyone a job. You, (the player says to someone) you are the driver, because I aint driving, you are the fall guy, if something bad happens, its your job to go to jail, not my job to go to jail, everybody understand their job?' It wasn't like they were planning a crime, but rather they were going out to a club or something.

And planning to have someone else go to jail in case you commit a crime is OK with you?

He also says (very TIC) "I know none of y'all are never going to drink, none of you are never going to use no drugs, y'all going to bible study ... you still need to get a fall guy"

I think Sapp was there to earn a little $$$ for his hookers.

you really need to listen to the tape, its been out there for over a year, so why the big deal now??

My comment was based on your account of what the tape said. Was that not accurate? And who cares how long it was out there? It's a big deal now because now is when we are hearing about it.

Better advice: You are a public figure making a lot of money with a target on your back. Use your head and keep yourself out of trouble.

Oh God no. That would require personal responsibility and accountability. Much easier to say get a fall guy then have people say it's ok because it was a year ago, he didn't shout it, and he's done good in his life so let it slide. ;)

My comment was based on your account of what the tape said. Was that not accurate? And who cares how long it was out there? It's a big deal now because now is when we are hearing about it.
why didn't you hear about last June (2014)? do you not care what he said to the rookies in the NFL?? Why didn't you take the time to unearthn this comments?? They've been of the NFL website for over 14months!! Do some research!! Because maybe at the time they were given, is not the way they should be taken?? Maybe the message he was trying to give was several, 1) be careful who you hang with 2) don't drink and drive 3) Think before you do something you regret. And perhaps to deliver that message he used an extreme example to a bunch of 20 -21 yr olds, that are in their minds indestructible. Chris Carter can speak to me and my family any time.

Hmmm...? A snippet of a comment was referred to by a player and commented on by members on this board. Any chance of all that the statement is being taken out of context? As in, if you're going to do wrong I hope you have a friend who is stupid enough to knowingly take the fall for you.

I find it hard to believe that the message in a public forum and sponsored by the league was meant to be a "How to do wrong and get away with it speech".

Of course he shouldn't have said it in case there was someone in the audience stupid enough to think he was serious (good thing no one here is that stupid). It's also not surprising that in a Politically Correct society a multi-billion dollar industry would deny any support of the statement, a public figure would,find it easier to apologize for the action rather than explain it. And least surprising of all would be those who think posting on a sports message board is an extension of being a girl in middle school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT