ADVERTISEMENT

Couple thoughts

Did anyone else notice that Hansard, Shelton and Mustipher move very well for their size and appear to have pretty quick feet? We're talking 3 guys all over 310lbs.

After watching the constant flag fests in NFL preseason games, I think it's proper to mention how clean the game was played. PSU played darn near 100 kids, lots of true freshmen and walk ons and only had 3 penalties (and I don't recall wasting timeouts because of disorganization). And one of the three was a misguided attempt to draw a neutral zone infraction against Idaho. A couple guys on defense jumped, but didn't appear to enter the neutral zone. Someone on the right side of our line then jumped hoping to draw that penalty. We also had an illegal block in the back penalty on a punt return. Then the personal foul penalty on Idaho's last possession. To me, that's great coaching and very impressive to be that organized, again, given the number of kids that played and the number that played for the first time.

Did anyone else notice that Hansard, Shelton and Mustipher move very well for their size and appear to have pretty quick feet? We're talking 3 guys all over 310lbs.

Though I would give the defense an A++ in this game, it's hard to draw conclusions. Unless measured in some way, the appearance of speed and quickness will be skewed relative to the competition. Was the Idaho interior line slow? Like the offense, we won't know too much for several more weeks.

Though I would give the defense an A++ in this game, it's hard to draw conclusions. Unless measured in some way, the appearance of speed and quickness will be skewed relative to the competition. Was the Idaho interior line slow? Like the offense, we won't know too much for several more weeks.
The first time we will get a read on how good this team really is will be the Iowa game. The first 5 games are against cupcakes. We should dominate each of the first 5 games.

Reactions: TheGLOV
The first time we will get a read on how good this team really is will be the Iowa game. The first 5 games are against cupcakes. We should dominate each of the first 5 games.

Texas went 10-4 last year with a win over Georgia in a bowl game. One of their losses was to Maryland. I know this is all personal interpretations but, to me, cupcakes are games you win even if your team isn't focused and makes mental errors throughout the game.

Cupcakes; Idaho, Buffalo, Rutgers

Appetizers; Pitt, Maryland, Purdue, Minnesota

Entrée; Iowa, Michigan, MSU, OSU

Texas went 10-4 last year with a win over Georgia in a bowl game. One of their losses was to Maryland. I know this is all personal interpretations but, to me, cupcakes are games you win even if your team isn't focused and makes mental errors throughout the game.

Cupcakes; Idaho, Buffalo, Rutgers

Appetizers; Pitt, Maryland, Purdue, Minnesota

Entrée; Iowa, Michigan, MSU, OSU
OK. Based on your definition of cupcake I would agree except for pitt. I would still put them in the cupcake category. I think they are certainly behind Maryland, Purdue, and Minny in player quality.

Reactions: TheGLOV and N&B4PSU
OK. Based on your definition of cupcake I would agree except for pitt. I would still put them in the cupcake category. I think they are certainly behind Maryland, Purdue, and Minny in player quality.

Agreed on pitt. I only left them out because of the perceived rivalry aspect.

Reactions: TheGLOV and N&B4PSU
My thoughts, and I'll try to avoid repeating what others have posted:
  • I was pleased with the play-calling, and it seemed like a smoother process to get the call to the offense. There was good balance and we used our backs in the passing game as I had hoped. We weren't afraid of the middle of the field either. Still don't recall seeing a classic screen play to the RBs, but it might just be my poor memory. Perhaps when the OL gets more defined and experienced we will see it. Either way, in this game we didn't need screens. At some point though, when we face a good 1-on-1 cover defense, we're going to see some hefty blitzing. I think our RBs are really "all purpose backs," so we could benefit from becoming good at screen plays.
  • Though all RBs looked great, I give Journey Brown a slight edge over the others. He's just slightly bigger and faster.
  • Despite the points and yardage, I'm not convinced that we are good on the OL. The pocket did not look all that big on quite a few pass plays. Seemed like we tended to give up a lot of ground in dropping back. On run plays the RB often slithered through a crack. That won't be there against DLs that are marginally better at shedding blocks. The OL performance was enough to make our skill guys take advantage of a team with little talent, but it wasn't enough to convince me that they could dominate an average conference team. We won't know for a few weeks.
  • I'd be surprised if the Clifford/Levis situation doesn't turn out a lot like the McSorley/Stevens saga. There are striking similarities right down to certain tendencies on the field.
  • Team chemistry on the sidelines looked very good. Let's hope that holds when they face adversity.
  • #1 is my #1 favorite player. Every time the ball is in his hands my high definition TV seems to get a little blurry.
  • Our defense could be improved........if Sutherland would cut his hair.

Good post. While I’m not a huge fan of long dreads, only problem I have with Sutherland’s hair is it hides the 26 we’ve grow to love!

Sorry. Call me old school, a Joe-Pa fan, or whatever. I don't like hair flying out of the helmet. Doesn't look good to me. Don't consider it "clean cut." I didn't like it on a Steeler safety and don't like it on a Nittany Lion safety. I'm allowed to have my own tastes/opinions.

You should be thrilled that this is all I could find wrong with our defense. I'll give a pass to one bad angle in the game and a dropped punt.

Reactions: TheGLOV
After watching the constant flag fests in NFL preseason games, I think it's proper to mention how clean the game was played. PSU played darn near 100 kids, lots of true freshmen and walk ons and only had 3 penalties (and I don't recall wasting timeouts because of disorganization). And one of the three was a misguided attempt to draw a neutral zone infraction against Idaho. A couple guys on defense jumped, but didn't appear to enter the neutral zone. Someone on the right side of our line then jumped hoping to draw that penalty. We also had an illegal block in the back penalty on a punt return. Then the personal foul penalty on Idaho's last possession. To me, that's great coaching and very impressive to be that organized, again, given the number of kids that played and the number that played for the first time.

Excellent analysis sir. Now, if only you could apply your excellence to rooting for Liverpool, you'd be simply amazing!!

:)

Excellent analysis sir. Now, if only you could apply your excellence to rooting for Liverpool, you'd be simply amazing!!

Haha. I'm rooting for Liverpool this year as my second team. The team I decided to pick could end up relegated. I decided against choosing a top six team and went with a team that might never win anything, but if they do, would be way more exciting than if I chose a team that's favored anyway.

Reactions: TheGLOV and LionJim
Haha. I'm rooting for Liverpool this year as my second team. The team I decided to pick could end up relegated. I decided against choosing a top six team and went with a team that might never win anything, but if they do, would be way more exciting than if I chose a team that's favored anyway.

Good for you sir.

And just to let you know, several years ago, my Liverpool team was the 'butt' of relegated jokes as well from those top notch snobby Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tot's fans sir.

"King" Kenny came in as mgr. and steadied the ship and, after a while, we started a long hard journey back to the top. They hired Klopp and the rest, as they say, is history!!!

Reactions: MJG-90

See my post on the soccer thread about Liverpool's record since Klopp was hired sir!

It is awesome!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT